Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One open tryout that is on going.....

Started by ricepig, October 29, 2014, 11:26:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Punt returner;
Bret Bielema said Arkansas had 9 players working on punt returns yesterday. ... One unexpected name: holder Matt Emrich.

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema says 9 players - even redshirting JoJo Robinson - competing for the punt return job in practice on Tuesday.

Holder Matt Emrich was among guys working out at PR, Bielema said. Emrich returned punts in HS.

Coach B: Final decision on punt return made on Friday. If JoJo Robinson wins the job, it would be his decision on whether to un-redshirt

Bielema said Emrich came to coaches to volunteer for PR duty and looked pretty good. Decision likely made on Friday on who will return punts

Also of note:

Coach Bielema also says that both LB Brooks Ellis and CB Henre' Toliver should be good to go on Saturday after practicing on Tuesday

Wildhog

There are four games left.  PLEASE don't burn Jojo's shirt.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 29, 2014, 11:27:47 am

I agree, and there are 5, hope hope hope.......

PonderinHog

Barman91

Come on fellas! Let's bring JoJo and Rafe in at the same time this Saturday!!!!   ;D

PonderinHog

Quote from: Barman91 on October 29, 2014, 11:31:10 am
Come on fellas! Let's bring JoJo and Rafe in at the same time this Saturday!!!!   ;D
GDIAF   >:(

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Barman91 on October 29, 2014, 11:31:10 am

Many would be happy. I don't care either way as long as we win 2 games.

Atlhogfan1

Concerning.

Pretty good isn't good enough for punt returner.  They have to be nearly perfect.  Their worst error should be not coming up to catch a punt and giving up field position. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tophawg19

if JO JO  can help us get a bowl then burn his R/S . those extra practices are worth it . the whole team will benefit from them .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IBleedRazorbackRed

PorkRinds

I'd say leave jojo's RS on and choose the next best guy at this point.  But I'm not the head coach, and they HAVE to get someone who can do it.  If he's the best, and the next is a serious drop off, maybe it's the best thing to do.  This is one instance I defer to the coaches.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 29, 2014, 11:36:18 am
if JO JO  can help us get a bowl then burn his R/S . those extra practices are worth it . the whole team will benefit from them .

YesTopHog, indeed... without a bowl game, this season is a failure

PorkRinds

1highhog

My sentiments exactly.  Don't burn a redshirt for 4 games that's not going to make a huge difference, we need to redshirt some of these players and I wish we could have redshirted some of our OL and Players like Collins as well, it just shows what a bad situation CBB walked into.  But it hurts like hell when you have to start freshmen on your lines instead of redshirting them and in this complex of an offense, the same goes for receivers.  It says something that Allen still has to wear a cheat sheet, this should show those out there that this offense is more than 3 yds and a cloud of dust.  Bielema did not come here to run the same offense he ran at Wisky, and Chaneys offense is a hard complex offense to learn, BA will once again be the starter next year, count on it, but after that, the QB race between Peavey, Austin, and Storey will be who learns this Offense the quickest, I think I know who has the inside track on that after BA is gone, the 2nd year, I think Storey takes it from there.

010HogFan

I seriously doubt Chaney's offense is harder to learn than any other offense.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 29, 2014, 11:41:42 am

Its a pro style offense

Atlhogfan1

I seriously believe it is harder than A&M's or AU's or Baylor's or Oregon's............ 

Disclaimer:  This isn't a criticism or endorsement of these offenses. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Chief Mac

because you see an offense that is run based and think, "oh that is a simple offense".  Nothing could be further from the truth
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

tophawg19

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2014, 11:37:44 am
YesTopHog, indeed... without a bowl game, this season is a failure
you clearly don't understand the value of all those extra practices in developing a young team . The benefits for next years team clearly out weigh one redshirt on a guy who may only play 3 years anyway. A bowl is like getting an extra spring to work with
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 29, 2014, 11:46:27 am
because you see an offense that is run based and think, "oh that is a simple offense".  Nothing could be further from the truth

Chris, we going to have to throw the ball also to reach a bowl game. Should have worked on passing game vs UAB

Dwight_K_Shrute

Burning redshirts is overblown.  This only effects 2018 and hopefully by then the program is recruiting and winning enough that the fact we did not redshirt JoJo doesn't matter.

This shows some urgency on the coaching staff to put us in the best position to win this year and it's not sacrificing the future like some chicken little's like to make it out.

The only regret is that they should have just played him all along, think about where he would be by this point, but getting 4 games experience this year, and hopefully a 5th with a bowl game will be invaluable for him and the team and he will be in a much better position for 2015, 16, 17, and we should all be more concerned about this year and those 3 than 2018.

While the difference between 5 and 6 games may not seem like much that 6th win will be huge for so many reasons.  For one I'd rather be known as the best 6-6 team in the country that no one wants to play in a bowl than gosh golly the best 5-7 team that might get over the hump next year.  There is the extra practices, exposure, momentum.

I'd be more upset if JoJo was indeed the best for the PR job but the coaches decide to protect that redshirt all to protect 2018.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgsalot

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2014, 11:47:56 am
Chris, we going to have to throw the ball also to reach a bowl game. Should have worked on passing game vs UAB

Did you not watch the game we worked on passing plenty!

1highhog

Then you know squat about Football my friend.  Even in the NFL, the Announcers have said how complicated Chaneys Offense is to learn.  It's very complex, every announcer that's done our games this year has alluded to that sentiment.

hawgsalot

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 11:51:59 am
Agreed on all counts.  In particular the regret about waffling until now to give the guy a shot.  When desperation is setting in.

Guys he was hurt, he was going to play in the third game and got stepped on that week in practice.  If you can't play til week 6 it will pay dividends in 2018 for sure.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hawgsalot on October 29, 2014, 11:57:27 am
Did you not watch the game we worked on passing plenty!

Yes and our special teams played like a pop warner team

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgsalot on October 29, 2014, 11:59:17 am
Guys he was hurt, he was going to play in the third game and got stepped on that week in practice.  If you can't play til week 6 it will pay dividends in 2018 for sure.

Yep.

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp

[WR] 09/18/2014 - Jojo Robinson out indefinitely ( Foot )

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 29, 2014, 11:34:55 am
Concerning.

Pretty good isn't good enough for punt returner.  They have to be nearly perfect.  Their worst error should be not coming up to catch a punt and giving up field position.
The worst thing that can happen is creating a turnover due to a failed catch. Like both Dean and Wilson did Saturday(he recovered his, luckily). Or like Alabama did a couple of times against us in that game.

Letting the ball hit the ground is always safest and better than failing to make the catch. At least you get the ball back.

I do agree that we've been remiss about not fielding what appear to be fieldable punts, and giving up field position. Not all of them, but some of them could have been caught.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 12:01:16 pm
We had 46 rushing attempts, and 26 passing attempts, it the stats are to be believed.

Austin Allen had exactly 1 of those passing attempts to help gain some confidence.

Why wouldn't the stats be believed?

1highhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 29, 2014, 11:48:16 am
Burning redshirts is overblown.  This only effects 2018 and hopefully by then the program is recruiting and winning enough that the fact we did not redshirt JoJo doesn't matter.

This shows some urgency on the coaching staff to put us in the best position to win this year and it's not sacrificing the future like some chicken little's like to make it out.

The only regret is that they should have just played him all along, think about where he would be by this point, but getting 4 games experience this year, and hopefully a 5th with a bowl game will be invaluable for him and the team and he will be in a much better position for 2015, 16, 17, and we should all be more concerned about this year and those 3 than 2018.

While the difference between 5 and 6 games may not seem like much that 6th win will be huge for so many reasons.  For one I'd rather be known as the best 6-6 team in the country that no one wants to play in a bowl than gosh golly the best 5-7 team that might get over the hump next year.  There is the extra practices, exposure, momentum.

I'd be more upset if JoJo was indeed the best for the PR job but the coaches decide to protect that redshirt all to protect 2018.

It took you long enough to say it, but you answered your on question.  It's ridiculous now to burn his redshirt with a few games left if indeed he could have played all along.  But in any College Game, no matter what style you run, it's best always to redshirt your lines, they need a years to get their bodies in College shape and techniques down or they're going to get shoved around a lot, seen that last year and even this year.  To me, I don't even count last year, even though we played so many freshmen last year at key positions, they were true freshmen, next year is when you'll see a different team entirely, technique wise and everything.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 12:05:06 pm
Why wouldn't the stats be believed?

RicePig, what safety comes up big on Saturday?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 11:30:30 am
I agree, and there are 5, hope hope hope.......

They can always find a level headed player to fair catch punts properly.  It's finding one who can field and return that is the challenge.

Burning a red shirt now would be a certain sign CBB thinks there is a realistic chance at 2 more wins and it is close enough to be worth a red-shirt to improve field position in the next four games.

hawgsalot

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2014, 12:01:50 pm
Yes and our special teams played like a pop warner team

LOL now you do a 180 and talk about special teams.  Ok you mean our kick defense?  We scored a special teams td and made a 49yd fg.   

Edit I forgot about Deans fumble, yeap your right on Special teams wrong on your practice passing comment.

Danny J

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 29, 2014, 11:48:16 am

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 29, 2014, 12:03:35 pm
The worst thing that can happen is creating a turnover due to a failed catch. Like both Dean and Wilson did Saturday(he recovered his, luckily). Or like Alabama did a couple of times against us in that game.

Letting the ball hit the ground is always safest and better than failing to make the catch. At least you get the ball back.

I do agree that we've been remiss about not fielding what appear to be fieldable punts, and giving up field position. Not all of them, but some of them could have been caught.

A turnover is worse than letting a punt hit the ground.  I didn't say what their worst error could be.  Fish has that example covered.  I said what it should be as an example of how perfect they need to be in their decision making and execution.  If they can't, let the punt hit the ground and get away from it. 

I'm good with safest considering how hard it is for our defense to get stops many SEC games.  If we get an opposing offense off the field, I'm relieved.  Don't give it back on a shorter field if we don't have someone who can be perfect as a punt returner. 

hogsanity

I hate the idea of burning a RS for maybe 3 or 4 plays a game. Now, if they pull his RS for PR duty and also play him some at WR, that is a little different, but I would still rather them not pull a RS at this point.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 12:26:43 pm
This is the mentality that gets us where we are. 
Using terms like turnover... error... and safe... perfect... relieved.

Nothing in that statement regarding threat... aggressive... scoring.

If our coaching staff is instructing our players in that manner it's disappointing.  I would like to think they're not.

It is the mentality of where we are - not one that gets us here.  This isn't the place any coaching staff wants to be.

When we have the personnel to be aggressive, then we should do so. 

You, and I assume you posted like this under your usernames before September as well, want to believe there are answers at every position and for every situation now. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 29, 2014, 12:33:05 pm
It feels so reassuring to know that I have someone like you who knows what I 'want to believe'. 

Do you know what I want to have for lunch?  Getting hungry.

A pile of darn if I were feeding you.   :)

scorekeeper

Quote from: 1highhog on October 29, 2014, 11:58:16 am
Then you know squat about Football my friend.  Even in the NFL, the Announcers have said how complicated Chaneys Offense is to learn.  It's very complex, every announcer that's done our games this year has alluded to that sentiment.
Then my question to Chaney would by why doesn't he dumb his offense down. If we have lesser talent and an offense that difficult to understand why would we hamstring ourselves? Dumb it down while teaching the younger guys everything I don't know maybe he is doing that. I'd hate to have to think that our QB has to be a genius in order to play while sacrificing talent...
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: scorekeeper on October 29, 2014, 01:00:38 pm
Then my question to Chaney would by why doesn't he dumb his offense down. If we have lesser talent and an offense that difficult to understand why would we hamstring ourselves? Dumb it down while teaching the younger guys everything I don't know maybe he is doing that. I'd hate to have to think that our QB has to be a genius in order to play while sacrificing talent...

Chaney is likely "dumbing it down" in a sense to AA and Rafe as in not asking them to execute or know as much as BA does right now.  AA likely has been given much more than Rafe.

You may be assuming we are sacrificing talent by playing BA.  The ceilings for AA and Rafe may be higher.  That doesn't mean they are more physically ready to play now. 

Music City Hog

We just need a guy that can field it cleanly right now.  Why is that so difficult?  Please don't burn JoJos shirt for punt returns for 4 games.

SPAL

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 29, 2014, 11:36:18 am

Absolutely. This is the only answer.

Wildhog

MSU has 8 redshirt seniors and 4 redshirt juniors starting for them. Getting an extra year out of your talent is one way to combat being behind in recruiting.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

scorekeeper

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 29, 2014, 01:18:28 pm
Chaney is likely "dumbing it down" in a sense to AA and Rafe as in not asking them to execute or know as much as BA does right now.  AA likely has been given much more than Rafe.

You may be assuming we are sacrificing talent by playing BA.  The ceilings for AA and Rafe may be higher.  That doesn't mean they are more physically ready to play now. 
Ok, but shouldn't those guys or for the very least Rafe if he is the 3rd string get more of a complex playbook since we are not expecting him to play? We don't need those guys hitting the field with the same thought that the playbook is too complex. At some point somebody has to master it right?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Pigsknuckles

Yeah. That would be like cashing in a CD the day before it matures.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PorkRinds

Quote from: scorekeeper on October 29, 2014, 02:16:14 pm
Ok, but shouldn't those guys or for the very least Rafe if he is the 3rd string get more of a complex playbook since we are not expecting him to play? We don't need those guys hitting the field with the same thought that the playbook is too complex. At some point somebody has to master it right?

I assure you they have a method for teaching these guys the playbook.  I'd just let them use their method and not think twice about it.  They know what they're doing.

JackJohnson

Since we have completely wasted Brown's RS and are letting a holder try out why not let Brown...or Cornelious Floyd since his RS has been burned and he also never sees the field.

Kidding on Brown of course but at some point we have to quit completely wasting these redshirts and actually build for the future the right way

bigred223

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2014, 11:47:56 am

We threw 85 passes combined against Bama and Georgia. We worked on the passing game plenty. Our team should be shooting for 30 or fewer passes per game. The A&M game is a good example of what we are shooting for as an offense. If not for bonehead penalties we score 42 points with about 250 yds passing and 300 rushing. That was what Wisconsin was when they were at their best under Beliema.

As far as the UAB game we threw enough. I think BA was 13 or 14 out of 17 at the half. I'm not sure it would have been much of a benefit to toss the ball around 40 times against UAB. Brandon hit a beautiful deep ball to Drew Morgan, some nice routes to the TEs and a some nice slants to Hatcher, and I really think that's all that we needed to do to get good reps. In all honesty we have to be able to run the ball well in order to win these games. Our offense isn't built to win games by airing it out all day. We just don't have the personnel to be successful doing that. We would have to have an NFL caliber QB and stud wide receivers to do so; we have neither. We have the ability to be an efficient passing team, and we have been at times this season.

elksnort

Several thoughts:

At least in some positions, Red Shirting is over rated. By redshirting JoJo, is he going to develop better hands and become a faster person? Some will say, "It gives him time to learn the offense". Ok. But on certain plays, just tell him what route to run in the huddle.

Chaney's offense is complicated. Maybe this is the problem. Perhaps he's over thinking it.

The best argument against pulling Jo Jo's red shirt is: Why do it now? It should have been done before if it were to help win games.

You can save save save for the future. It'd be nice to win a conference game this year.

bigred223

Quote from: elksnort on October 29, 2014, 02:53:31 pm
Several thoughts:

At least in some positions, Red Shirting is over rated. By redshirting JoJo, is he going to develop better hands and become a faster person? Some will say, "It gives him time to learn the offense". Ok. But on certain plays, just tell him what route to run in the huddle.

Chaney's offense is complicated. Maybe this is the problem. Perhaps he's over thinking it.

The best argument against pulling Jo Jo's red shirt is: Why do it now? It should have been done before if it were to help win games.

You can save save save for the future. It'd be nice to win a conference game this year.

From what I understand Jojo was redshirted for two reasons. 1. He was banged up at the beginning of the season, and 2. he needs some time in the weight room to get more physical. I would expect he understands the offense as well as Cornelius, Edwards and Hollister.

I'd be surprised if his redshirt gets yanked, but I don't think BB will do it unless he thinks it is best for the team. I also don't think he would yank the shirt if Jojo conveys that he wishes to keep it. If Jojo wants to play now, and BB thinks he can help us win ball games, then I'm all for it.

That being said, I highly doubt we see Jojo back there. I don't know who all is trying out, but I think our best option would be someone like Damon Mitchell. In fact, that's who I'd really like to see get a crack at it. He has really impressed me with his running ability in the limited action he's seen. He's big and physical and very fast. Assuming he has the instincts and ability to catch the ball consistently (obviously), he would be a great choice.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on October 29, 2014, 02:53:31 pm
Several thoughts:

I'll be really surprised if they choose JoJo, it isn't as much play book as it is getting SEC ready strength wise.