Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who wins the west?

Started by bigred223, October 29, 2014, 10:24:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred223

Looking at the schedules, I really believe it will be Alabama. They have been fantastic at home this year and have three of their last 4 games at home. Here's their remaining schedule.

- @ LSU: They go to LSU next weekend fresh off of a bye week. I don't think it will be too hard for them to run successfully against the Tigers, and I think they win that game by two or more TDs. On the other hand, they have struggled on the road so it could be close.

- Miss State: Alabama has possibly the best run defense in the nation. Miss State relies on running the football. Miss St. has one of the worst secondaries in the country, and Amari Cooper will be running wild. Miss State won't be able to stack up against the run. Couple that with Alabama being at home, it seems unlikely that they lose.

- Western Carolina: Not an SEC game and an obvious blowout win.

- Auburn: The iron bowl and could absolutely go either way. I think Bama will be out for revenge, and the matchup is very similar as the miss st matchup. I think the winner of this game will win the division as I expect Auburn to beat Ole Miss. Barring another miracle field goal return for a touchdown, I think Bama wins.

What are y'alls thoughts? It's a crazy race this year, and there are a lot of different scenarios that could play out obviously. I also think the Hogs could play spoiler for one of the Mississippi schools.

EDIT: I really hope Bama doesn't win the west as I am sick of their reign at the top, but this just seems like a logical outcome.

hogsanity

MSU and old misses control their own destiny.  IF either team wins out, they win the west. OM, if they win out, would own the head to head over MSU and Bama. If MSu wins out they win it. Bama needs to win out, and have OM lose. Aub needs to win out and have MSU lose twice. Not sure if there is a way for 3 secw teams to end up with just one sec loss.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigred223

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2014, 10:32:38 am
MSU and old misses control their own destiny.  IF either team wins out, they win the west. OM, if they win out, would own the head to head over MSU and Bama. If MSu wins out they win it. Bama needs to win out, and have OM lose. Aub needs to win out and have MSU lose twice. Not sure if there is a way for 3 secw teams to end up with just one sec loss.

Absolutely, and as I stated I believe Bama will win out, and Ole Miss will lose to Auburn. Miss St losing twice isnt that farfetched either. I think they will lose to Bama, and they could very well lose to Ole Miss. Should be interesting.

hogsanity

Quote from: bigred223 on October 29, 2014, 10:39:04 am
Absolutely, and as I stated I believe Bama will win out, and Ole Miss will lose to Auburn. Miss St losing twice isnt that farfetched either. I think they will lose to Bama, and they could very well lose to Ole Miss. Should be interesting.

Right now it is MSu's to lose, since they have no losses, and they also get Vandy. I do not see MSu losing twice, unless Prescott gets hurt to the point he can't play.

I think Aub loses again just as pay back for all the luck they had last year. Actually, I do not believe in luck, but these things do tend to even out.

old misses will lose again. Their offense has not been great all year, and losing last week the way they did seems to have really opened up some strife that was simmering, plus Bo Wallace is still Bo Wallace.

Bama better be really wary of LSU. Arkansas showed the blue print for playing Bama (yes Bama was off that day), and LSU has the personnel to do to Bama's offense what Arkansas did.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGINTENNESSEE

I think it's Auburn maybe Bama

I believe the Miss schools are about to come back down the earth

hogsanity

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 10:51:32 am
I think it's Auburn maybe Bama

I believe the Miss schools are about to come back down the earth

The path to the secw title for either Bama or Aub is complicated in that neither team, as of now, controls its own destiny. Either one can win out and still not win the west. Plus, they play each other so someone is getting a 2nd loss.

TheRazorbackGuy

Bama wins out (12-1)
Miss State only loses to Bama (11-1)
Auburn loses to Georgia and Bama (9-3)
Ole Miss loses to Auburn, Arkansas and Miss State (8-4)

[attachment deleted by admin]

bphi11ips

Ole Miss or Alabama, but probably Alabama.  I think Ole Miss will lose one or more to Auburn, Arkansas or Miss. State.  May have a hangover this week against Auburn.

I don't see Mississippi State or Auburn winning in Tuscaloosa. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 29, 2014, 11:26:22 am
Ole Miss or Alabama, but probably Alabama.  I think Ole Miss will lose one or more to Auburn, Arkansas or Miss. State.  May have a hangover this week against Auburn.

I don't see Mississippi State or Auburn winning in Tuscaloosa. 

I believe Ole Miss will lose to all three of those teams: Auburn, Arkansas and Miss State

MJ2

1highhog

I think Miss State wins it.

secfan30

skbhog

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2014, 11:08:54 am
The path to the secw title for either Bama or Aub is complicated in that neither team, as of now, controls its own destiny. Either one can win out and still not win the west. Plus, they play each other so someone is getting a 2nd loss.

I know that. Just because the Miss schools control their own destiny doesn't mean they will win.

I expect Bama to beat Miss State and auburn to beat Ole Miss.

hogsanity

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 12:15:07 pm
I know that. Just because the Miss schools control their own destiny doesn't mean they will win.

I expect Bama to beat Miss State and auburn to beat Ole Miss.

I did not say it meant they would win. Is anyone on here capable of just reading things without inferring things that are not there? I said it is easier, right now, for those two because they are only reliant on what they do.

I think it will be MSU, because they already beat Auburn. They get Vandy from the East, by the time they play old misses, om could have tanked, and I think Bama loses again, all of that falls into MSU still winning the west even if they lose a game.

Danny J

Bama.....no doubt

They host their two toughest games remaining...MSU and Auburn. They have a bye this week before going to LSU so Saban will be prepared.

cbhawg03

Bama

Ole Miss ends up with 3/4 losses total
Miss St with 1 loss - Bama
Bama wins out
Auburn - losses 2 more - Bama / Georgia

Rhog

The winner of the Miss St/Bama game.

code red

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 29, 2014, 11:24:07 am
Bama wins out (12-1)
Miss State only loses to Bama (11-1)
Auburn loses to Georgia and Bama (9-3)
Ole Miss loses to Auburn, Arkansas and Miss State (8-4)

I think Bama also.  But I think Auburn will go 10-2 and beat UGA.  Mstate schedule is not that tough from here on out.  UK and Vandy from the east....really???  When are the Hogs gonna get those SEC E teams the same year.....geezz!!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on October 29, 2014, 03:20:36 pm
I think Bama also.  But I think Auburn will go 10-2 and beat UGA.  Mstate schedule is not that tough from here on out.  UK and Vandy from the east....really???  When are the Hogs gonna get those SEC E teams the same year.....geezz!!!!

The one year both are insanely good, and both will be on the road too.

bigred223

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2014, 03:21:49 pm
The one year both are insanely good, and both will be on the road too.

Sounds about right.

texas tush hog

Alabama wins it, wiith Miss State second at 11-1, both go to playoffs, Ole Miss finishes 8-4.

Hawgin84

Arkansas beats both Mississippi State and Ole Miss, thus eliminating them from the discussion. For some reason, I just believe they will beat Mississippi State. They have Ole Miss at home and will beat them. LSU, is a toss up, and the Hogs will beat Mizzou

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawgin84 on October 29, 2014, 09:01:31 pm
Arkansas beats both Mississippi State and Ole Miss, thus eliminating them from the discussion. For some reason, I just believe they will beat Mississippi State. They have Ole Miss at home and will beat them. LSU, is a toss up, and the Hogs will beat Mizzou

If we beat LSU, we win out period.

Jackrabbit Hog

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.

Bama.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Here is the way I see it.

Auburn wins against Ole Miss this week.

Alabama wins against LSU.

Auburn loses at Georgia (LSU and South Carolina couldn't win at Sanford Stadium last season; good luck trying to slow down Gurley, especially a rested Gurley).

Alabama wins at home against Mississippi State.

Alabama wins at home against Auburn (just don't see Saban losing to Auburn two years in-a-row).

Ole Miss wins at home against Mississippi State.

texas tush hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 29, 2014, 09:16:20 pm

Auburn loses at Georgia (LSU and South Carolina couldn't win at Sanford Stadium last season; good luck trying to slow down Gurley, especially a rested Gurley).

Alabama wins at home against Auburn (just don't see Saban losing to Auburn two years in-a-row).

Agree with all but the last one Ole Miss loses 4

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgin84 on October 29, 2014, 09:01:31 pm
Arkansas beats both Mississippi State and Ole Miss, thus eliminating them from the discussion. For some reason, I just believe they will beat Mississippi State.

A lot of posters have said that all year.  We're 15-4 in our last 19 games, but this isn't your usual Miss. State.  For that matter, we're not your usual Arkansas.  That's why we've lost the last two. 

Anything is possible, but don't count on it this weekend.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

JansterZ71

I can see Auburn losing to Alabama at Alabama but no way Auburn loses to UGA.  Georgia has major flaws and just isn't that elite.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

moses_007

Alabama will still win the West.  The Tide will beat Miss. State and Auburn both.

Hawgin84

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 29, 2014, 09:38:13 pm
A lot of posters have said that all year.  We're 15-4 in our last 19 games, but this isn't your usual Miss. State.  For that matter, we're not your usual Arkansas.  That's why we've lost the last two. 

Anything is possible, but don't count on it this weekend.

Oh, I'm not! Just going to watch it and cheer hard! WPS!

1highhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 29, 2014, 09:16:20 pm

Gurley will be resting for awhile longer, he's still not eligible to play at least the next two games.

hogsanity

Quote from: 1highhog on October 31, 2014, 06:25:42 am
Gurley will be resting for awhile longer, he's still not eligible to play at least the next two games.

he is eligible to come back for the Auburn game. He got a 4 game suspension, but he already sat two.

hogcard1964

I think it's going to be:

Bama
Auburn
Miss St
LSU
Ole Miss
Texas A & M
Arkansas

All make bowl games

Cartoon Man

Theolesnort

The more things change the more they stay the same. The winner of the Bama Auburn game wins the West. The early part of the season was just a tease.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

nchogg

It's time for a change. I say Miss State. They are playing good football. I hope we win today but State could be the west champion with 1 lose.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: hogsanity on October 29, 2014, 10:32:38 am

When LSU beat Ole Miss last week, there was no way for the SEC to have three one-loss teams.  Yes, Bama needs to have Ole Miss lose, but I think their road is the easiest.  I suspect MSU will lose at least once and maybe twice.  The wildcard in all this is that every team in the SEC-W could have at least two losses. 

EFBAB

Exit Pursued by a Boar

threeNout

I say if MSU can beat us, they can beat anybody.  :)

seriously, if we fail to beat msu tonight, then I think they stand a very good chance of winning the west, over 70%.

if we bring them back down to earth tonight, which I think is a real possibility, then it's the winner of the Iron Bowl.

5 teams are still in the running for it, LSU winning out, with help, being the longest shot.

razorbackkid

I don't know who'll win the West, but I know for certain that the Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss faithful are Razorback fans today.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

SavoySeamster

I'd bet on Bama. No way either MS school wins out. And I figure Saban ain't gonna lose to Auburn twice in a row.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

hoglady

Bama.
I think the Arkansas game was a huge wake up call.
Saban appears to have gotten their attention and I will be surprised if they don't win out. Really look for them to crush LSU.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 31, 2014, 08:46:59 am
I think it's going to be:

Bama
Auburn
Miss St
LSU
Ole Miss
Texas A & M
Arkansas

All make bowl games
All but Arkansas

Pig Worshipper

cosmodrum

If Dak stays healthy then MSU doesn't lose a game.

Go away, batin'

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.