Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30 For 30: Brian and The Boz

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, October 29, 2014, 08:54:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

haven't finished it yet, but it brings back a lot of memories of my growing up during the Hatfield years.  I thought The Boz was the baddest dude in the country back then.  And boy did Oklahoma put a whoopin' on us in '87, without him

PP

BartIV

I watched it this morning.  It was a really good 30/30. The only thing that was out of place was his son. Would have been better if he had just been talking to the camera about his memories. The kid looks emo. Bad fit.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: BartIV on October 29, 2014, 08:59:58 am
I watched it this morning.  It was a really good 30/30. The only thing that was out of place was his son. Would have been better if he had just been talking to the camera about his memories. The kid looks emo. Bad fit.
I agree, the kid didn't look like anything The Boz had a hand in, lol.  Maybe he did more steroids than he has owned up too.

PP

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ldfergu

Quote from: BartIV on October 29, 2014, 08:59:58 am

I agree. He looks like a punk

BartIV

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 29, 2014, 09:01:52 am
I agree, the kid didn't look like anything The Boz had a hand in, lol.  Maybe he did more steroids than he has owned up too.

PP
How much do you agree with his NCAA Communist shirt today? I would believe a lot of people would.

Pulled(PP)pork

always rooted for him when they would go up against Miami, hated the Hurricanes

PP

Grag T

Yep, when I was a kid and Boz was mad at the ncaa I drew some funny R-rated cartoons of the ncaa and sent them to him (well they were sent to Barry Switzer) but appartently Boz saw them and liked them cuz he sent me a quick note and an autographed 8x10.  From that point on I was a big fan.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

HeismanHawg

I thought it was well done (most of those 30 for 30's are). Biggest takeaway was the Boz saying Switzer "told us all to quit taking steroids" like it was just common place and everyone was doing it.

HawgWyld

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HeismanHawg on October 29, 2014, 09:34:37 am
I thought it was well done (most of those 30 for 30's are). Biggest takeaway was the Boz saying Switzer "told us all to quit taking steroids" like it was just common place and everyone was doing it.
yeah, like it was just commonplace among the top tier colleges

PP

Sivad

Kind of liked Boz's movie 'Stone Cold' which was partially filmed in Little Rock and Conway.

HamIAm

I kind of respected Bosworth back in college until I read a SI feature article on him.  In the middle of the article he talked about a summer job he held on an automotive assembly line.  He said that several times a day when he got bored he would drop a few extra nuts or bolts into a door as it was being assembled, just so he could laugh at the thought of the new owner going crazy trying to figure out the source of the rattle. 

Knowing how many hours I worked to buy my first car I didn't find it very funny.

Southerneyes

Seeing Keith Jackson on there just me ask why cant we have a former hog being the color guy on radio broadcast?????.......get rid of chuck and Keith.

Pulled(PP)pork

Did anybody else get the feeling that Jamelle Holliway is now a pimp?

PP

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 29, 2014, 11:25:55 am

PP
this ^^^^
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DOGALUM

PP
Greatest option QB ever.....IMHO.   (and I can't stand Oklahoma)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Torqued pork

Boz was a rogue player in a rogue program. Nothing there to like imo.

Sed76

Quote from: Sivad on October 29, 2014, 09:56:45 am
Kind of liked Boz's movie 'Stone Cold' which was partially filmed in Little Rock and Conway.

Great biker movie. They did some damage to the capital for that one.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 29, 2014, 11:54:23 am
quinn grovey wasn't half bad hisselt

PP

Razorbax

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 29, 2014, 11:54:23 am

He was the reason one of the best high school quarterback I ever saw barely ever got on the field as quarterback....Eric Mitchell

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sed76 on October 29, 2014, 12:16:43 pm
Great biker movie. They did some damage to the capital for that one.

Biker movie yes....................great movie no.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

PP

He was a drug trafficker for a long time, but it seems like I read an article that he had gotten himself together and was doing well for himself now days.  Haven't seen the show yet.

uncle bubs

Being born in 89, I missed those years. That documentary was awesome, and it taught me a lot about that era of college football. Dude was crazy!
God bless the Boston Mountains.

Grizzlyfan

Steroids were EVERYWHERE in the 80's.  Down to high schools.  If you wanted steroids you could find them.

rljjr

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 29, 2014, 01:55:28 pm
Steroids were EVERYWHERE in the 80's.  Down to high schools.  If you wanted steroids you could find them.

That's right. There was even a very special "90210" about that. Hell, there might have even been a very special Blossom.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: rljjr on October 29, 2014, 02:01:30 pm
That's right. There was even a very special "90210" about that. Hell, there might have even been a very special Blossom.

+1 if possible for using the phrase "a very special Blossom" in an actual post. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Grizzlyfan

You sound pretty "special" yourself.

thirrdegreetusker

Somewhere, I have a round "NO BOZ" button that was sold before the Orange Bowl game v the Hogs. Picture of Boz with a diagonal red slash across it.

tepid fan

Haven't posted in years and very little then but have to say this.  My final memory of the arrogant inflated ego was him being carried into the end zone on the back of Bo Jackson on MNF.  It was so funny, this over rated player was practically wrapped around Jacksons neck just hanging on for dear life and flailing away at Jackson like he was swatting flys.  He might as well been a fly to Jackson.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: tepid fan on October 29, 2014, 02:44:02 pm
Haven't posted in years and very little then but have to say this.  My final memory of the arrogant inflated ego was him being carried into the end zone on the back of Bo Jackson on MNF.  It was so funny, this over rated player was practically wrapped around Jacksons neck just hanging on for dear life and flailing away at Jackson like he was swatting flys.  He might as well been a fly to Jackson.

Bosworth wasn't the only NFL defender Bo Jackson treated like a fly.

Pulled(PP)pork

and an "After School Special" that featured Benjamin Afflect as a football player with roid rage...Acadamy Award type performance

PP

MuskogeeHogFan

A man who is very sorry for the alter-ego that he created. A lesson to all young college football players that believe that they are bigger than the opportunity that they have been given by the grace of God.

Click through all of the links. It is enlightening and instructional for high schools athletes. Even he will say, in retrospect, "don't be this guy".

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=brianandtheboz
Go Hogs Go!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 29, 2014, 01:55:28 pm

They are still cheating and make youa cheater.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 29, 2014, 02:49:24 pm
Bosworth wasn't the only NFL defender Bo Jackson treated like a fly.

Exactly. Bosworth was a great football player. I enjoyed the "30 for 30". Kid just got carried away with "The Boz". Boy, can you imagine how wild it was to play for OU under Switzer?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Jamie Jones

Bosworth was not the same player when he came off the steroids. When he got to the NFL, he had a severely damaged shoulder. The Seahawks never let him heal correctly and he ended up hurting his other shoulder. He was a shell of himself, even without the roids, when Jackson ran over him. I'm not defending Bosworth, just stating facts. I never liked him nor Oklahoma. But I will say that at least he didn't avoid the team that drafted him like Bo and several others did. I have a bigger problem with that than anything Boz did.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

pigbacon

Quote from: Jamie Jones on October 29, 2014, 08:32:35 pm
Bosworth was not the same player when he came off the steroids. When he got to the NFL, he had a severely damaged shoulder. The Seahawks never let him heal correctly and he ended up hurting his other shoulder. He was a shell of himself, even without the roids, when Jackson ran over him. I'm not defending Bosworth, just stating facts. I never liked him nor Oklahoma. But I will say that at least he didn't avoid the team that drafted him like Bo and several others did. I have a bigger problem with that than anything Boz did.

Bo refused to play for Tampa Bay on principle of them lying to him and getting him declared ineligible by the NCAA for taking a plane ride. I have even more respect for him for that very reason. He was young, naive, and misled by those with deeper motives.

rlamb

All of the talk above about Bo Jackson's supposed superiority makes me think even more highly of our David Bazzel and his counterpart, I think Nick Miller on their job on Bo in the 84' Liberty Bowl. I had an end zone seat and I think Bo had about 29 yards rushing going into the 4th when he finally broke loose on a 45 yard or so run. Time after time Bazzel and co. were meeting Jackson at the LOS for no gain.

I think he finished with about 78 yards. Bazzel and Miller were never bowled over by Bo and
along with Cherico and the rest of the defense did a very good job in holding him down.

regi

Watched that 87 Orange Bowl a week after it happened via VHS. I was doing my rotation on the old East German, West German border. Watched the whole thing, even though I knew the score, because I was so homesick. Never forget it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: regi on October 29, 2014, 09:24:26 pm
Watched that 87 Orange Bowl a week after it happened via VHS. I was doing my rotation on the old East German, West German border. Watched the whole thing, even though I knew the score, because I was so homesick. Never forget it.

The Hogs never had a chance going into that game because of the following Defensive Coach.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gibbs

Gibbs' Defense held us to 48 total rushing yards (45 carries for a 1.07 yard per carry average).

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 29, 2014, 09:37:21 pm
The Hogs never had a chance going into that game because of the following Defensive Coach.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gibbs

Gibbs' Defense held us to 48 total rushing yards (45 carries for a 1.07 yard per carry average).

Clint Conque would have held them to -10. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bighogonthewall

"Next time have bus fare." What Jackson says to the Boz after carrying him into end zone.  Funny...

BigSexyHog

This was a great 30 for 30.  Didn't mind his kid like some did.   Brings back alot of memories.   I was really young back then and just started to get into football but I knew who this guy was.   Love him or hate him he was good and you can't take that away from him.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Jackrabbit Hog

He may be a marvelous human being who was misunderstood and was the product of overbearing parents.  He11, he may be Mother Teresa incarnate.  I couldn't stand him then and I can't stand him now.

Bosworth and Todd Marinovich are the poster boys for overhyped college players who blame their problems on everybody but themselves now. 

Love his sister, Kate, though.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 30, 2014, 12:58:58 pm
He may be a marvelous human being who was misunderstood and was the product of overbearing parents.  He11, he may be Mother Teresa incarnate.  I couldn't stand him then and I can't stand him now.

Bosworth and Todd Marinovich are the poster boys for overhyped college players who blame their problems on everybody but themselves now. 

Love his sister, Kate, though.

I think he has taken ownership of his college days, or at least that's how I am taking it.  I do understand your point.

I agree with Kate.  She is hot!!
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

jbell96

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 30, 2014, 12:58:58 pm

Did you even watch it? Bosworth blames himself for his downfall & admitted he was a bust in the league. Didn't sound like he blamed everyone but himself from what I saw.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rusvegashog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 29, 2014, 02:05:47 pm
+1 if possible for using the phrase "a very special Blossom" in an actual post.
Whiny sounding "Whoa"

Dillar Dog

By far the most overblown play in the history the nfl.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Dillar Dog on November 05, 2014, 05:54:21 pm
By far the most overblown play in the history the nfl.
Weak as hell compared to Atwater vs. Okoye!!
All Gas, No Brakes!