Previous topic - Next topic

Scott7703

ricepig

Scott7703

hawgwild child

Oklahawg

Headed to MLB in the draft.

Be nice if he was on UA's commit list.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Big Nasty 34

I just don't see him going to the draft outta HS.  I mean I guess he has a nice frame and potential, but I haven't seen MLB draft or even SEC stuff outta him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 29, 2014, 08:15:48 am
I just don't see him going to the draft outta HS.  I mean I guess he has a nice frame and potential, but I haven't seen MLB draft or even SEC stuff outta him.

Have you seen him pitch?  He will likely be drafted.  And you would think as much fanfare as the UA pitching has gotten, he'd want to be part of that instead of a Barner.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Auburn has a baseball team?

The_Iceman

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 29, 2014, 08:21:11 am
Have you seen him pitch?  He will likely be drafted.  And you would think as much fanfare as the UA pitching has gotten, he'd want to be part of that instead of a Barner.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Unless Van Horn didn't offer him.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2014, 08:33:46 am
Yeah, I don't get that at all. Unless Van Horn didn't offer him.

Thus the reason for the above comment. He's got potential, MLB is more about that, than college teams.

secfan1

I've seen him pitch multiple times. Both in high school and showcases. Yea, there is a reason hogs didn't offer him. Trust Van Horn here. Kid will get drafted late based off "potential" because of size and power. Will be out of the minors in 3-4 years and wishing he had looked at other things. Yea he will get money, but not much being drafted late. Big difference in millions and a few k. No it's not bashing. Just being honest and saying I'm not shocked Hogs didn't offer and just as shocked Auburn actually did. A-State type talent and again not bashing. He is a good kid.

secfan1

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 08:45:56 am
Thus the reason for the above comment. He's got potential, MLB is more about that, than college teams.

Yep. Totally agree here.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: secfan1 on October 29, 2014, 08:47:00 am
I've seen him pitch multiple times. Both in high school and showcases. Yea, there is a reason hogs didn't offer him. Trust Van Horn here. Kid will get drafted late based off "potential" because of size and power. Will be out of the minors in 3-4 years and wishing he had looked at other things. Yea he will get money, but not much being drafted late. Big difference in millions and a few k. No it's not bashing. Just being honest and saying I'm not shocked Hogs didn't offer and just as shocked Auburn actually did. A-State type talent and again not bashing. He is a good kid.

Same here, he is a real good high school pitcher, but I don't see SEC good. I guess he could end up throwing low 90s in a few years with a swing and a miss breaking ball, but isn't really there yet. On the other hand I've miss spoke about a lot of HS kids and he may end up making millions in baseball someday.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 29, 2014, 08:21:11 am

I have seen him. Van Horn usually wants his righties to be working 88-92+ not potential of that.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: secfan1 on October 29, 2014, 08:47:00 am

If he get drafted he will get paid! The guy can always go back to college and try his luck at college football.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 29, 2014, 09:45:06 am
If he get drafted he will get paid! The guy can always go back to college and try his luck at college football.

Don't make it sound so glamorous. Just because he gets drafted doesn't mean he is going to hit the lottery. A lot of these late round guys get enough money to live. That's it. Its not some high profile, big house and cars type deal. The majority of these guys will get sent to some no name, Podunk town with enough money to eat McDonald's and ramen noodles each night. Not exactly the lavish lifestyle many think of.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

booogaga

Did DVH not offer him a baseball scholarship?
GO HOGS!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 29, 2014, 11:06:56 am
Don't make it sound so glamorous. Just because he gets drafted doesn't mean he is going to hit the lottery. A lot of these late round guys get enough money to live. That's it. Its not some high profile, big house and cars type deal. The majority of these guys will get sent to some no name, Podunk town with enough money to eat McDonald's and ramen noodles each night. Not exactly the lavish lifestyle many think of.

Not money for a lifetime for sure. But I would much rather be paid to play a sport than what I'm doing right now

ricepig

Quote from: booogaga on October 29, 2014, 11:24:34 am
Did DVH not offer him a baseball scholarship?

I don't think so.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 29, 2014, 11:06:56 am

HE will be making a pretty good salary for a 18 year old.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 11:31:21 am
Not money for a lifetime for sure. But I would much rather be paid to play a sport than what I'm doing right now

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 29, 2014, 12:35:12 pm
HE will be making a pretty good salary for a 18 year old.

Neither of you have any idea then. Might as well be making minimum wage and barely have enough for the bills. Unless you go early rounds, its NOT that great. Many draft picks never see good money. Many, Many guys chase that dream and money and never get there.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

SPAL

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 08:22:37 am
Auburn has a baseball team?

Yes. And we haven't won a series against them in 6 years or more

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 29, 2014, 01:34:50 pm
Yes. And we haven't won a series against them in 6 years or more

When was the last time they made it to the tournament?

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 02:34:11 pm

They've had our number, that's for sure

SPAL

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 29, 2014, 02:34:11 pm

Kind of irrelevant to the point. You made a snide comment about a team that you didn't realize had taken 5 straight sets against us. No need to make it what it isn't. 

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 29, 2014, 12:59:28 pm
Neither of you have any idea then. Might as well be making minimum wage and barely have enough for the bills. Unless you go early rounds, its NOT that great. Many draft picks never see good money. Many, Many guys chase that dream and money and never get there.
Right on.  Most make between $3K and $7.5K per season!!  On the high end it's $1,500 per month.  That's not good or even acceptable money for a full time job at any age.
http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/02/12/minor-league-baseball-players-lawsuit

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 11:31:44 am
I don't think so.
Yeah, unless something changed since late summer, I think Auburn was the only major program to offer him.  I think DVH was banking on him getting something for football and save one of his 11.7.

And I'll never doubt if Jorn and DVH don't offer a pitcher.  The 2013 staff had the lowest team ERA since something crazy like the 1970s for all of college baseball.  Those guys know their pitching.  And we have a player similar to Sprinkle committed in Isaiah Campbell in that he has a large frame, but Campbell is one of the youngest players in his class and could be throwing in the mid 90s at any time.

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Watched Vasser throw 84-88 for about 4 innings and might have hit 90-91 a few times.   So 88-90 consistent is where Sprinkle would need to be now and a slight adjustment from his pitching coach and strength could get him to where he needs to be

Big Nasty 34

Will vasaar get time anytime soon? Not sure

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.