Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis at SEC media day said

Started by micali, October 28, 2014, 12:52:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

micali

October 28, 2014, 12:52:07 pm Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:42:46 am by micali
That we are a team built for the tournament and can win it all.  He didnt say we would win it all but that we could.  I heard this on 93.3 The Source this morning. 
I may not have it exact but thats close enough to what he said.
That would be awesome but we need to make the tournament first.  I'm ready for the season to start.

The Hogfather

bigred223

This is without a doubt the most complete team Mike has had. I have high hopes for them.

Big Nasty 34

Beating Kentucky twice last year shows we can obviously play with the most talented teams. It's just a matter of playing semi respectable outside of the Bud. If we could truly bring the show on the road...

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 28, 2014, 04:27:09 pm
Beating Kentucky twice last year shows we can obviously play with the most talented teams. It's just a matter of playing semi respectable outside of the Bud. If we could truly bring the show on the road...

Playing at a high level and playing at a high level consistently is what separates the truly elite teams from the rest of the pack.

I'm hoping our flashes of great play last season combined with the returning experience will breed that consistent high level of play this year.

I'm excited for some Hog Ball; if it comes together the right way we're in for a special year!

GO HOGS!  WPS!

azhog10

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 28, 2014, 08:08:54 pm

Playing at a high level and playing at a high level consistently is what separates the truly elite teams from the rest of the pack.

I'm hoping our flashes of great play last season combined with the returning experience will breed that consistent high level of play this year.

I'm excited for some Hog Ball; if it comes together the right way we're in for a special year!

GO HOGS!  WPS!
I understand what you are saying, but I would add to it that it's not so much about consistency, as that is important. It's about playing at a high level down the stretch. You need to play consistent enough to get in, but if you can get hot at the right time and ride it down the stretch like UCONN did, then you got a chance to do some amazing things.

GuvHog

Quote from: bigred223 on October 28, 2014, 04:14:46 pm
This is without a doubt the most complete team Mike has had. I have high hopes for them.

It should be. This is Mike's 4th season and the overwhelming majority of the players are his recruits. He has his players in place so I'm looking for big things this season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: azhog10 on October 29, 2014, 01:00:46 am
I understand what you are saying, but I would add to it that it's not so much about consistency, as that is important. It's about playing at a high level down the stretch. You need to play consistent enough to get in, but if you can get hot at the right time and ride it down the stretch like UCONN did, then you got a chance to do some amazing things.

I think we're saying essentially the same thing, just a difference in semantics.  To make a run in the tourney, you have play consistently at a high level.

Consistency is key no matter what time of year it is, but I agree you certainly want to be throwing your absolute "A" game come Feb/March.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: micali on October 28, 2014, 12:52:07 pm
That we are a team built for the tournament and can win it all.  He didnt say we would win it all but that we could.  I heard this on 93.3 The Source this morning. 
That would be awesome but we need to make the tournament first.  I'm ready for the season to start.

Got to start beating teams consistently outside of Bud Walton first.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 28, 2014, 08:08:54 pm

GO HOGS!  WPS!

Winning consistently on the road.....you need senior leadership at the guard position.  We have not had that since MA arrived.   In fact, looking back on 2013-14, we really turned the corner when Madden started running the offense instead of looking like a 3 awkwardly trying to play PG.  Can never have enough seasoned upperclassmen. 

Breems

We are far from winning consistently on the road.

"Consistently" winning on the road demands 4-5* talent at every position and some of the best coaches in the game. We're a few steps behind in both categories.

We'll likely still have a few headscratchers to scream about this year.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mhuff

Quote from: Breems on October 29, 2014, 02:57:52 pm
We are far from winning consistently on the road.

"Consistently" winning on the road demands 4-5* talent at every position and some of the best coaches in the game. We're a few steps behind in both categories.

We'll likely still have a few headscratchers to scream about this year.

I can understand your statement. The proof is in the pudding. Still, I think we will win more than three games on the road this season. I could see winning twice that many. I still am a one game at a time person. We need good coaching and a game plan. Nolan's game plan was to take it to em. Nolan's game plan revolved around turnover points and not letting your opponent walk the ball down the court, run a half court offense unmolested, and beat your brains out. Nolan just had the philosophy that if anyone was going to get their brains beat out, it wasn't going to be him. MA needs to use a little of that philosophy....... his way has not been working.

rude1

Slow your roll young man. Let's show we can beat all the middle to bad teams consistently on the road, get NCAA tourney eligible, then we can start to discuss our odds of winning it all.

Breems

Quote from: rude1 on October 29, 2014, 03:38:38 pm
Slow your roll young man. Let's show we can beat all the middle to bad teams consistently on the road, get NCAA tourney eligible, then we can start to discuss our odds of winning it all.

That's a fan attitude. Shouldn't be a player's attitude.

rude1

Quote from: Breems on October 29, 2014, 04:30:43 pm
That's a fan attitude. Shouldn't be a player's attitude.
Actually I believe the fan is the one who can afford to skip the steps and dream big. I think players need to focus on more immediate goals than NC IMO, like winning on the road. If you are thinking you are already good enough to contend for the NC, how much are you going to be working to improve enough to just get tourney eligible?

Breems

Quote from: rude1 on October 29, 2014, 07:12:27 pm
Actually I believe the fan is the one who can afford to skip the steps and dream big. I think players need to focus on more immediate goals than NC IMO, like winning on the road. If you are thinking you are already good enough to contend for the NC, how much are you going to be working to improve enough to just get tourney eligible?

Meh, let's not overplay this.

1.) Many players/coaches say they're aiming for a title in the preseason, if for no other reason than to please the fans. In post-game press conferences, it'll switch to "we're taking it one game at a time and focusing on *insert next opponent*."

2.) Portis is one of (or the) hardest workers on the team. I doubt he thinks it's time to relax and that the Hogs are the assumed national champions.

PORKULATOR

Swagger is good if your mature as well. This team is dangerous.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

rude1

Quote from: PORKULATOR on October 29, 2014, 09:39:12 pm
Swagger is good if your mature as well. This team is dangerous.
Swagger from a team who hasn't accomplished anything is a bit of a concern to me. I like to see a team who's swagger comes from results.

lefty08

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 29, 2014, 10:33:03 am
I think we're saying essentially the same thing, just a difference in semantics.  To make a run in the tourney, you have play consistently at a high level.

Consistency is key no matter what time of year it is, but I agree you certainly want to be throwing your absolute "A" game come Feb/March.
Wait, we aren't allowed to.say throwing........wrong board sorry
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: rude1 on October 30, 2014, 01:33:31 pm
Swagger from a team who hasn't accomplished anything is a bit of a concern to me. I like to see a team who's swagger comes from results.

How is that a concern to you? Haha, I mean seriously?

I guess they shouldn't be confident or display any swagger bc they didn't get into the NCAA's like you wanted. A large part of the reason for that is bc of how bad our league is and how horrible they schedule. That's finally changing now though. The conference is on the way back up.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on October 30, 2014, 01:33:31 pm

You're a weirdo sometimes.

Section123

I agree with Bobby. Nolan's teams were always a tough out in the NCAA - especially after a Thurs/Fri win. The weekend opponent had very little time to prepare for the press and his deep bench.  I am very excited to watch this team.

Hoggish1

rude1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 07, 2014, 09:02:00 pm
If not swagger now, when...?
How about right after you show you can go on to bad teams courts, take care of business and leave with the win consistently?

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 07, 2014, 07:24:04 am
What's weird to me is a group of people who think we should be talking about a team of swagger from a group who hasn't played a single NCAA tourney game, got bounced from the NIT as soon as they left home. Now that is about as weird as I can think of...LMAO

TomBigBeeHog

If you gonna talk the talk, you gotta be able to walk the walk. Sometimes a leader has got to set the bar high and provide a vision for the others to follow. If he shows no fear under pressure and models the effort needed to reach the stated goal, others may be inspired to go above and beyond for the team as well. Bobby may be ready to push this team to a higher level. For him to put it out there like that, I think it bodes well for this years prospects. He is not backing away from the big expectations. I want to see that leadership on the floor this year from Bobby.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hoghiker

Quote from: rude1 on November 07, 2014, 09:31:33 pm
How about right after you show you can go on to bad teams courts, take care of business and leave with the win consistently?
I'll agree, sorta. Less talk more action sort of deal however Portis seems like the kind of guy that was just stating something he thinks is true. And it may be.

hamARchy in the USA

That seems to be in line with MA's approach:  a tournament approach rather than a conference approach.  It's kind of like a get rich quick scheme.  Rather than build a program that competes at the top year after year it appears MA's aim is nothing more than building individual teams in hopes that one can make a tournament run some day.  It rarely if ever works.   Consistency is a byproduct of a long term plan and manifests over the course of the conference season.  Up and down play is a byproduct of a short term focus.  Both are surely reflected in player effort and attitude.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 07, 2014, 07:24:04 am
you can't see it, but I'm clapping and nodding my head.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

-Blu

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on November 08, 2014, 07:43:13 pm
That seems to be in line with MA's approach:  a tournament approach rather than a conference approach.  It's kind of like a get rich quick scheme.  Rather than build a program that competes at the top year after year it appears MA's aim is nothing more than building individual teams in hopes that one can make a tournament run some day.  It rarely if ever works.   Consistency is a byproduct of a long term plan and manifests over the course of the conference season.  Up and down play is a byproduct of a short term focus.  Both are surely reflected in player effort and attitude.

Breems

Quote from: -Blu on November 08, 2014, 10:09:10 pm

I love it.

This is the same guy who would prefer a conference championship (his only measure of success) over an Elite Eight appearance.

You know you're desperate when your argument is literally "MA is building a team for the tournament but not success."

I suppose he has a point. I'm not a fan of how Nolan built teams for championships but not three-peats.