Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like we need

Started by Piggfoot, October 28, 2014, 09:24:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

Im really surprised they're not taking 4 DB's.  Maybe the DB situation is turning out better than everyone thought with the new coaching.

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 28, 2014, 11:29:31 am
Numbers can always change depending on who wants to come and if something happens with a commitment.

They will take another RB. 2 OL, probably one more WR. That puts them at 20. They want another DL or two. At the end of the day it's all up to Bret. The numbers are tight. 

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

I should clarify.  I'd gladly take Howell, but I want another HS OT to go along with him.  So that would be three.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2014, 11:40:05 am
We're woefully thin at OT.

I would hope CSP has a plan to move some of the OG's to OT if the worst happens.  I know that's not preferred but I'm sure they see the same pitfalls in the future as do you.

secneahog

Merrick could be a OT also.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on October 28, 2014, 11:47:29 am
Merrick could be a OT also.

Which is why he's such an important recruit.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2014, 11:48:56 am
Which is why he's such an important recruit.

And it's looking better and better with him, according to RD.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

CDBHawg

Quote from: booogaga on October 28, 2014, 11:24:47 am
Do not get me wrong. I understand why they would only take one RB. The guy committed now is going to be phenomenal at the next level. But next season (worst case scenario) our RB core could look like this:

Collins
Walker
Evans
Day
RW3

And the year after that could look like this:

Walker
Day
RW3

We are going to take another RB imo.

Add Evans to the year after and which ever 2016 Rb(s) we sign.

It's not as bad as you're thinking. They recruited Day to play and contribute.

CDBHawg

Quote from: tusked on October 28, 2014, 11:41:29 am
Im really surprised they're not taking 4 DB's.  Maybe the DB situation is turning out better than everyone thought with the new coaching.

4 is too many.

We recruited Floyd, Toliver, and Ramirez last year. Dean the year before.nHopefully they can play. Collins will still be around as well. That's just at CB.

S has Gaines, Coley, Liddell.

I agree we need 1, maybe two more. But 4 would take away from other needs.

CDBHawg

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on October 28, 2014, 11:24:22 am
I agree about needing 5 offensive linemen. I think we have too many needs elsewhere to take 6 tho

Maybe so. But guys were recruited at other positions to contribute. Hopefully they do.

OL & LB are the positions that are in dire need of quality depth.

I don't feel WR is a position of need as much as some think it is. The players are there, they just have to step up.

Oklahawg

Staff has to be looking at the heavy in-state class of defensive prospects for 2016.

They were pretty heavy on defense for 2014. 2015 may be aobut offense.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 28, 2014, 12:23:29 pm
Maybe so. But guys were recruited at other positions to contribute. Hopefully they do.

OL & LB are the positions that are in dire need of quality depth.

I don't feel WR is a position of need as much as some think it is. The players are there, they just have to step up.

Jojo is redshirting.  KJ is on the way.  Cornelius and Edwards are going to be studs.  Hollister catches anything near him.  Morgan looks like he'll be a reliable guy.

Agreed.  A lot of young, quality talent at WR.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2014, 12:44:10 pm
Jojo is redshirting.  KJ is on the way.  Cornelius and Edwards are going to be studs.  Hollister catches anything near him.  Morgan looks like he'll be a reliable guy.

Agreed.  A lot of young, quality talent at WR.
Maybe the are looking for a punt returner....... ;D

Piggfoot

I see our needs as recruiting every offensive and defensive position every year.
That's 22 players. Add in a kicker/punter every 3 years or so and a juco or two to take up the slack for players that don't make it. Of course that is easier said than done but it looks like this staff is heading in that direction instead of just recruiting the highest available athletes even though they may all be one position.  I believe some coaches recruited like they were in the pros, thinking they could swap players.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

emdavenp

But even if JWill leaves, I think that having Hill, Pettway, and potentially Reed to take defensive opponents out of the box, we don't NEED an absolute stud like JWill to pound the ball. Would it be nice to have him? Absolutely, but keep in mind that we won't be having to face 8 players in the box much after this season

*crosses fingers*

tophawg19

Carr and Reed are the two i expect . we have good numbers in the secondary , players that the coaches really like . SO  i expect 3 o-line guys , hopefully someone who can cross train for both ot/og . 2 LB , 1 safety . Also i look for us to go hard after several as preferred walk-on , grey shirt players . we need OT's badly .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MP24

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 29, 2014, 09:11:29 am
Carr and Reed are the two i expect . we have good numbers in the secondary , players that the coaches really like . SO  i expect 3 o-line guys , hopefully someone who can cross train for both ot/og . 2 LB , 1 safety . Also i look for us to go hard after several as preferred walk-on , grey shirt players . we need OT's badly .

Pretty close to what Richard said in the comments of Tuesday recruiting tidbits. Sounds very promising!

Standing at 16 commitments so 8 or more spots. Will take another RB and WR, another DL or two, two more OL, one or two LB, couple more DBs. Not sure how of the breakdown because of all the possibilities at DB.

I say Patrick Carr or Charles West will be the RB. Dominique Reed at WR. I think they get Barnett or Merrick or maybe both. Feel good about Derrick Graham next Tuesday. English is a possibility at DL. It;s been awhile but there's a DL that's committed elsewhere that was talking to Ark.

Haughton and a lot others are DBs they have a good shot at.

IN no way I'm I saying all of the above will happen but I do feel like some of them will be Hogs.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/28/tuesday-recruiting-tidbits/
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 28, 2014, 02:38:01 pm
I see our needs as recruiting every offensive and defensive position every year.
That's 22 players. Add in a kicker/punter every 3 years or so and a juco or two to take up the slack for players that don't make it. Of course that is easier said than done but it looks like this staff is heading in that direction instead of just recruiting the highest available athletes even though they may all be one position.  I believe some coaches recruited like they were in the pros, thinking they could swap players.
I don't know if it has to be as strictly defined as you stated but I am concerned that it looks like we are only going to have 9 defensive recruits out of 26 possible.

On the other hand when you have an unusually high crop of quality in-state players you must sign those players.  Even if they are heavy on the offensive side.  We better ramp it up on defense in 2016.

BatesvilleHOG

RB-Carr

WR-Reed

OL-Barnett

DL-LB-Gustin
DL-English

S-Haughton

We'll take elite OT and RB next year. Definitely will build lots of depth on the OL and Secondary in the 16 class as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 29, 2014, 02:46:13 pm
RB-Carr

WR-Reed

OL-Barnett

DL-LB-Gustin
DL-English

S-Haughton

We'll take elite OT and RB next year. Definitely will build lots of depth on the OL and Secondary in the 16 class as well.

We need OT's THIS year. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

CDBHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on October 29, 2014, 02:52:14 pm
We need OT's THIS year.

More than most realize. All it takes is one look at who we're losing the next two years.

Country Stylz

Adding Reed and Hill on the outside would be helpful.

onebadrubi

Got to start putting talent in the back 7 on D in redshirts.  I'm hoping we will close the deal on a couple lbs and S that are studs but can RS.  Once we get that ball rolling we will really see dividends

Dominicanhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 28, 2014, 12:20:02 pm
4 is too many.

We recruited Floyd, Toliver, and Ramirez last year. Dean the year before.nHopefully they can play. Collins will still be around as well. That's just at CB.

S has Gaines, Coley, Liddell.

I agree we need 1, maybe two more. But 4 would take away from other needs.

also, isn't there a chance for Hines to come back as well? he's a nice player with some experience..

Wildhog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 29, 2014, 05:49:21 pm
More than most realize. All it takes is one look at who we're losing the next two years.

Agreed. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Country Stylz

Man I really hope we land West at RB. His film is awesome. Has unbelievable balance. Like a cat I say.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 29, 2014, 11:42:25 pm
also, isn't there a chance for Hines to come back as well? he's a nice player with some experience..

He gone

lefty08

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on October 30, 2014, 10:22:30 am
He gone

If he was gonna leave y did he agree to redshirt?  Doesn't make sense, he could have used this year as a sit out year. He's not going anywhere
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

acepoker

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 28, 2014, 12:17:24 pm
Add Evans to the year after and which ever 2016 Rb(s) we sign.

It's not as bad as you're thinking. They recruited Day to play and contribute.

And remove Walker from the year after since he is a JR. this season.

Melorock089

We need safety help don't we?

Our corners have actually been pretty good, but our safety play has been wanting, plus Alan Turner and Rohan Gaines are Seniors right?

ricepig

Quote from: Melorock089 on October 30, 2014, 07:35:32 pm
We need safety help don't we?

Our corners have actually been pretty good, but our safety play has been wanting, plus Alan Turner and Rohan Gaines are Seniors right?

Gaines is a redshirt Jr I believe.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on October 28, 2014, 11:40:05 am
Preferably two.  I REALLY want one more HIGH SCHOOL OT.  Howell is a stop gap measure.  We need to build depth for the future.  Jackson appears to be a little bit of a project.

I agree with this.  I want Howell because we need the immediate help but then also want an additional HS OT to go with Jackson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Tim Harris

I think Graham and Bryce English will be on the commit list before to long.  That would most likely finish things off on the DL.  Then we still get a speed back to go with what we have.  That would leave 5 spots left and then the math gets tricky.  I think we add 1-2 OL.  I know there are several out there people want and they are all the quality you find a way to take but I just don't feel as good as some do.  I think Howell and Merrick are the best bets.  Then you still have to add at least a CB or 2 and a S.

Needless to say I'm not glad I'm not the one who has to try and figure out how to make the numbers work.

Wildhog

Need at least two more OL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig