Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red / White game this week...

Started by Hog_Swanson, October 27, 2014, 04:44:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

010HogFan

I got the Qualls dunk on camera...I'll post it when I can

bjl

010HogFan

I was VERY impressed with the team. We are gonna have a pretty salty squad folks.

Danny J

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 29, 2014, 09:28:31 pm
I was VERY impressed with the team. We are gonna have a pretty salty squad folks.
Figured as much.....still think we have a pretty good chance to win the SEC.

010HogFan

We appear to have the intangible that we have missed the last couple years. Swagger. Guys were out there competing like crazy in a scrimmage.

Breems

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 29, 2014, 08:41:25 pm
Qualls put back off madden missed shot to win...

Did someone tell Madden and Qualls that this wasn't Kentucky?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 29, 2014, 09:45:44 pm
We appear to have the intangible that we have missed the last couple years. Swagger. Guys were out there competing like crazy in a scrimmage.
Yep...swagger is exactly what this team was missing. The problem they have lacked the last couple of seasons was the confidence to KNOW they can play with anybody in the country in any atmosphere. I don't think they will have that problem any longer. The key to this year will be mental toughness. I think they will have it.

masshog2412

Arkansas WR

First off, we look VERY GOOD. Our guard play looks to be drastically improved, several players that look promising.  Overall, our team looks incredibly athletic. Keep in mind this is only one scrimmage, and players could of had either a good game or a bad game.

Jabril Durham - He is the point guard everyone wanted last season. He is a pass first guard. Everytime he drove to the basket, he was looking to dish the ball off to his teammates. Im pretty sure he knocked down an open 3 pointer, so that is promising as well. One thing that really stood out to me is that he is VERY vocal. Even when he was waiting to check in, he was yelling at the rest of the white team, trying to help them lock it down on the defensive end. He could be a leader for this team. Very impressed.

Anton Beard - He was the most impressive freshman in my opinion. He knocked down three open 3 pointers, and showed the ability to get to the basket as well. He is not a great dribbler, but he has solid handles. I think he is more of a scorer than a passer.

Dusty Hannahs - I really like his game. I can't remember if he is eligible to play this year or not, but he can help our team. Pre-game warm-ups he was knocking down 3 pointers every single shot. He has range. He seems very confident/cocky, and personally i like that. He was talking trash during the game, and got Madden a little fired up. He drove the lane well after pump-faking a three pointer.

Manuale Watkins - I think i remember someone saying he was redshirting this year, but he looks improved as well. Played some great defense at the end on Madden during crunch time. Madden had to call a timeout to get out of the sticky situation.

Rashad Madden - He will be the man this season. His game has taken another step up. When he is 1 on 1 with another player, he finds a way to take the ball to the hoop one way or another. His dribble moves and ball fakes are improved. He found ways to finish around the basket. Very promising.

Anthlon Bell - Ive always liked Bell, but consistency has always been a problem for him. I haven't looked at the stat line, but I feel like he missed more than he made. We will learn more about him as the season progresses, and hopefully he can start hitting shots consistently. It looks like he has added another dimension to his game, and showed some nice dribble moves.

Nick Babb - Okay this dude has bounce. He is very athletic, and he will be a very good player in time. I think he has great potential.

Keaton Miles - This guy will see the court, ALOT. Very great defender, as advertised, but he can shoot! He has a very nice stroke, and he can get above the rim. Very athletic, he impressed me for sure.

Michael Qualls - I mean what can you say. He is a posterizing machine. He got the game winning putback dunk which was SWEET. Got everyone in Bud Walton on their feet. He looks like he has worked on his dribbling as well.

Alandise Harris - He is like a brick wall that charges at the rim, I love it. But i don't like him firing up all of these jump shots. He was fighting hard for offensive boards and putbacks, and it was working well for him. I remember reading some thread talking about his athletic ability, and I would have to say he is a GREAT athlete. Hopefully he can have a good senior year.

Jacorey Williams - Probably the most improved player. I don't like that he is always looking to shoot, but he was showing some big ups during pre-game warmups. Maybe he can find a way to get some meaningful minutes this year.

Trey Thompson - He worked hard on the glass, and was fighting for rebounds. I didn't watch him much, but I think he needs some time to develop. He was going against some great players.

Moses Kingsley - Shot blocking machine. Looks like the Moses we know and love. Always a presence down low. Looking forward to see him get more minutes this season.

Bobby Portis - Everyone complained last year that he would settle for jump shots and did not know any post moves. That has changed, and he looking to play like a big man this year. He is a great player, and he will be a game changer for us.

This team looks damn good.
Woo pig  :razorback:

-Blu

October 29, 2014, 09:53:52 pm #59 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:57:02 pm by -Blu
Best Red/White game I've ever been to.  Looked like after this first half white would pull away, but Red got serious in the second half and made an amazing comeback.  Qualls with a game winning dunk off Madden's missed shot was awesome. 

Here's just a quick run down of what I saw and my opinion on everyone.  Keep in mind this is just my opinion and just based off one red/white game. 

Bobby Portis -  I don't think I've ever seen anybody get better at every single thing in one off-season.  It was another poster that said he was gone after this year, and I agree, his progress is just amazing. His post game is now legit, shot is better, has better ball handling, better leader, was jumping higher, and he's much stronger.  It's going to be a good year for him.

Alandise Harris -  I wasn't really impressed, looked like the same ole Harris, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just thought I'd see more progress from him.  He's still taking those awkward fadeaways and running full speed through the lane out of control at times, I was hoping to see more post moves.  Had a solid game though, he'll be a contributor.

Rashad Madden - Looked really good, definitely was the leader of the red, was doing some trash talking to the other team, and getting his guys pumped.  Was getting after it on both ends, overall much improved, should have a solid senior year.

Michael Qualls - Ball handling has improved, still as athletic as he's ever been.  Not much else you can say about him, should be a major factor again for us this year.

Jabril Durham -  Now this is who impressed me.  We got a steal with this guy. Smooth balling handling, nice stroke with his shot, really attacks the rim and looks for others.  He had some amazing passes.  He's also very vocal and you can tell he's a leader.  He was the guy Portis would talk to the most on the team, you can tell Portis really likes him.

Anthlon Bell -  Overall game has improved, he's now attacking the rim more and taking mid-range shots.  Defense has also improved.  Look for him to have a big year.  Not sure if he'll start or be the first guy off the bench.

Jacorey Williams -  Now this is the most improved player.  Dude did a little bit of everything.  He's definitely going to be in the rotation this year.  You can tell he's worked hard and game has slowed down for him.  I think he'll be a solid contributor for us this year.

Moses Kingsley -  Started off the game kinda slow, he was the only guy I seen CMA come from the scores table to talk to.  Seems like after CMA talked to him he came out and played really well.  Offensive game is coming along nicely, and he's still doing his thing on defense, and he seems more comfortable with teammates, he was doing a lot of talking. 

Keaton Miles -  Didn't really see much from him, seen him hit a nice looking 3 pointer and get after it on defense.  Would have liked to seen more from him though.

Anton Beard -  Really tough guard, was on fire from 3-point land.  He didn't do anything that "wowed" you but played very solid basketball and knows how to get to the rim.  I think he'll play this year.

Nick Babb -  Really got after it on the defense end, and had his moments on offense as well.  You can tell he's a guy that's going to be a solid player for us in the future.  I think CMA said it best when he said he just does a lot of things well.  With that said everyone is so improved, he may be one of the odd men out of the rotation, just because he's a freshman.

Trey Thompson -  He's in good shape now, didn't show a whole lot, but he was banging down low, and got some rebounds, I think a year going against Portis and Kingsley will have him ready to contribute sometime later this year.

Manny Watkins - Play good solid basketball.  He was really after it on the defensive end, and was slashing to the rim.  He's much improved and looks comfortable on the court this year.  I think he could compete for some minutes this year. 

Dusty Hannahs -  Played some good basketball, made a few nice moves to the rim.  He's deceptively athlete, and his shot look like it's going in every time he shoots it.  He'll be in the rotation next year.

bjl

Quote from: masshog2412 on October 29, 2014, 09:50:21 pm
please?

im working on it.  i have 5gb of video...tried to upload straight from my phone, no go.

transferred to laptop, tried to upload..no go.  Loaded it into iMovie, compressed to lowest setting(this says 40 min remaining) and its still going to be 1.8gb.  It will most likely be up in the morning.  I'll start the upload as soon as I can.  I'll post my thoughts from the game at that time.  I have a sick 7yo to deal with tonight..ugg.

-Blu

Quote from: bjl on October 29, 2014, 10:01:05 pm
im working on it.  i have 5gb of video...tried to upload straight from my phone, no go.

transferred to laptop, tried to upload..no go.  Loaded it into iMovie, compressed to lowest setting(this says 40 min remaining) and its still going to be 1.8gb.  It will most likely be up in the morning.  I'll start the upload as soon as I can.  I'll post my thoughts from the game at that time.  I have a sick 7yo to deal with tonight..ugg.

You got the entire game?  That would be sweet if you could upload that, even if you have to reduce the quality.  I wouldn't mind watching that game again.  Was very entertaining for a Red/White game.

opineonswine

I too was impressed.  Outside of the stars of this team, Portis and Qualls, I saw some really good things particularly in the second half.  The newcomers are all basketball players who can contribute.  I don't know if Trey Thompson will play much this year but he was ok...I really didn't watch him much.

Durham...best looking PG we've had in awhile.
Beard...much better than advertised.
Miles...I thought he played VERY WELL particularly in the first half.  He will definitely help.  Not afraid to mix it up under the rim.

All in all, after a slow start offensively, it was a game that looked like a veteran team and not the regular newcomer snafus.

opineonswine

Harris dunk near the end, which appeared to be the game winner, was one of the best dunks I've ever seen by anyone.  Hopefully someone can post it.  Wow.....

bjl

Quote from: opineonswine on October 29, 2014, 10:05:41 pm
Harris dunk near the end, which appeared to be the game winner, was one of the best dunks I've ever seen by anyone.  Hopefully someone can post it.  Wow.....

yes, it was impressive!

if Madden could have finished his dunk earlier, posterizing Portis, it would have been SC top 10 quality...there was some flying around tonight.  We are very very athletic overall.

Dominicanhog

Wow.. thanks guys for the updates, makes me anxious for some Hawgball... It sounds promising on the guard play...  the Jacorey comments are interesting, as I've been expecting him to shine since a freshman.. he has the tools and athletic ability.

BP, Ky, and Qualls give us a nice nucleus, and CMA has a team he likes, lots of depth, long, lean and fast.  How they play defense, especially on the road, will coincide with how far this team goes.

Jabril can definitely provide the ability to transition faster and smother which should result in more and easier shots. I'm excited about our offense.

Let's get it on... :razorback:

010HogFan

that Harris dunk was absolutely filthy. Redeemed himself a little with that, he takes too many ill-advised jump shots for my liking, but he's definitely a presence on the court.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 29, 2014, 10:37:14 pm
that Harris dunk was absolutely filthy. Redeemed himself a little with that, he takes too many ill-advised jump shots for my liking, but he's definitely a presence on the court.

ill advised jump shots will get him the hook quicker this year.  That might reign him in some.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

onebadrubi

Portis is using the glass much more on his jumpers from the sides.  Very high percentage shots. 

Hannah's was throwing up very long range threes.  He and Cole tricket (WVU QB) have some serious hair going on

BentonvilleJeff

Great updates. Fired me up. Can't wait to get into some wars with this team.

SPAL

Who was that guarding madden on the shot that Qualls followed  for the win?

-Blu

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 29, 2014, 11:36:58 pm
Who was that guarding madden on the shot that Qualls followed  for the win?

Nick Babb.  He's going to be a lock down defender in SEC before it's all said and done.  Also dude has crazy hops.  I was watching him during warmups, he can get up just as high as Qualls or Miles.  I didn't know he could jump like that.  He may or may not miss the rotation this year, but dude is going to be a baller for us I have no doubt about that.  Future is looking really bright for Hogball.

SPAL

Quote from: -Blu on October 29, 2014, 11:50:48 pm
Nick Babb.  He's going to be a lock down defender in SEC before it's all said and done.  Also dude has crazy hops.  I was watching him during warmups, he can get up just as high as Qualls or Miles.  I didn't know he could jump like that.  He may or may not miss the rotation this year, but dude is going to be a baller for us I have no doubt about that.  Future is looking really bright for Hogball.

I was impressed with his D on madden in that vid. I didn't get to make it , after all so the analysis is appreciated.

Nosboar Accubond

I've been impressed with what I read. Just need Madden to not take terrible shots at the end of the game, like so many complained about last year. Glad Qualls cleaned that up

AirForceHog

Thanks for all the recaps and analysis. I sure hope that facing each only helps as this team gets ready for the season. Sounds really promising so far.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

Big Nasty 34

Anxious to see who will have the ball the last few seconds of a game. Madden is great, but I think i will trust durham more, and hope we force the ball down low to Portis. Especially if he's as improved down low as it seems.

azhog10

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 30, 2014, 06:28:21 am
Anxious to see who will have the ball the last few seconds of a game. Madden is great, but I think i will trust durham more, and hope we force the ball down low to Portis. Especially if he's as improved down low as it seems.
I hope we have to worry very few times about the last second of the game......but I don't mind Madden having the ball as long as Qualls is somewhere near the rim when the shots going up.

gmarv

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
amen

Big Nasty 34

I still don't like how he settles for tough contested jumpers. With the way fouls are called, have someone drive to the lane and draw a foul if we don't run a set play.

The_Iceman

Can't wait to see some highlights. Hopefully arkansasrazorbacks.com will put some up today.

The_Iceman

Some stats from the game....

Portis:      28pts, 14 rebs, 2 asts
Qualls:      21 pts, 8 rebs
Kingsley:   18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 blks, 3 stls (9-10 shooting)
Beard:      18 pts, 3 rebs, 3 asts (3-4 from three)
Williams:   17 pts, 10 rebs, 3 asts
Madden:   17 pts, 6 rebs, 11 asts, 3 TO's
Bell:         15 pts, 4 rebs, 3 asts
Durham:    15 pts, 2 asts, 2 stls
Harris:      14 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls, 1 blk
Hannahs:  12 pts, 1 stl (0-4 from three)
Miles:       8 pts, 4 rebs, 4 asts
Watkins:   7 pts, 6 asts
Babb:        5 pts, 1 stl, 1 ast
Thompson: 2 pts, 5 rebs, 1 blk (16 mins)

PonderinHog

bjl

sorry it took so long guys.  here is the 720p version.  my compressed version is still being "processed" by youtube.  I am a youtube/video noob, not sure what i did wrong.  This is higher quality, and it's ready now.

playlist link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nwvt-MZ7k&list=PLzfFb5Qc8gowmE4wfdRKN1HDFSNGBCoBU

The_Iceman

Quote from: bjl on October 30, 2014, 10:17:30 am
sorry it took so long guys.  here is the 720p version.  my compressed version is still being "processed" by youtube.  I am a youtube/video noob, not sure what i did wrong.  This is higher quality, and it's ready now.

playlist link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nwvt-MZ7k&list=PLzfFb5Qc8gowmE4wfdRKN1HDFSNGBCoBU

+1000!

The Hogfather

playlist link

Thanks!

TRUHOG718

playlist link

Remind Me to add you to my Christmas list.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on October 30, 2014, 04:48:43 am
I've been impressed with what I read. Just need Madden to not take terrible shots at the end of the game, like so many complained about last year. Glad Qualls cleaned that up

I actually hate the way that game ended and is of serious concern.  White team (our leadership with Harris and Portis) let a huge lead slip.  Qualls did play an all sec type second half but still. 

Madden the last two possessions held the ball way out high under 1:30 to go with no organized play but to take a last second prayer, which babb defended perfextly. 

Now, between those drives we watched TJ Cleveland setup a play and white team executed a perfect play for Harris using Portis as a decoy it appears and Harris slammed it home. 

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: labb on October 28, 2014, 10:29:47 pm
Y'all gonna be surprised at the White team..
The white team was kicking arse for most of the night.  I think they let the red team back in the game on purpose. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

bjl

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2014, 11:52:38 am

THIS!

man..i seriously think if Madden had finished that, instead of it bouncing to the scoreboard, that his entire year would have changed.  He showed more explosiveness and aggression to score on that play than I have ever seen.  THIS is what we need from him when he drives to the basket.  FINISH.  His shoulder lean, draw the contact, fade away, always falls short.  I know he gets to the line, but he needs to mix in this type of attack 30-50% of the time, and still draw the fouls.  It would mix better with his stop n' pop 3ft jump on the drives.

look at his hops on this...JEEZ!

bjl

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 30, 2014, 11:52:04 am
I actually hate the way that game ended and is of serious concern.  White team (our leadership with Harris and Portis) let a huge lead slip.  Qualls did play an all sec type second half but still. 

Madden the last two possessions held the ball way out high under 1:30 to go with no organized play but to take a last second prayer, which babb defended perfextly. 

Now, between those drives we watched TJ Cleveland setup a play and white team executed a perfect play for Harris using Portis as a decoy it appears and Harris slammed it home.

Portis missed a LOT of time during that lead disappearing..i think it was on purpose.  We saw hannahs and watkins play quite a bit during that run.  Call it theatrics or whatever, but the refs and TJ both seemed to be pushing for a close ending.

Madden, on those last two plays was HIGHLY upset.  I think either the team didn't execute the plays that were called, or they executed them incorrectly.  I am less concerned about this though.  I think in league play, we will see the ball in Durham's hands, with qualls and madden setup on opposite sides of the floor, spread wide.  Portis will be the movement man with the 4th player screening for him.  This gives us three outlets, all capable of finishing a game.  When madden is forced to create in that type of setting, he has troubles, having it setup FOR him...i trust he can finish.  And, if he or qualls do miss, we have 3 people crashing the boards.  With the way BP and JW hit the boards last night... I am pretty excited about our potential in the paint this year.

RazorAg

I was on 2 year old duty last night at the arena, which resulted in me not watching as closely as I wanted to and leaving with just under 10 minutes left, but I thought I'd throw a few thoughts out here.

If you've been reading any of the reports from Mike's PCs, you've seen the high praise for Bobby Portis.  Last night validated that praise.  The confidence beamed.  He looks different.  He moves differently.  He plays differently.  Everything that you'd want to see from a modern-day power forward, he showed, and the competition has no effect on my evaluation here.  Biggest changes?  Power, fluidity and confidence.  I've been excited to see how much he's improved; he should have a very big year.

I wouldn't say anything else really jumped out at me as significant take-aways.  I know a lot of people are talking about Durham, Beard and Williams.  Those three guys performed well, no doubt, but I'm reserving significant judgement at this time.  Need to see more.

I'll say this - I'm salivating at the opportunity for Madden to play off the ball.  If last night was any indication, he will be more aggressive in the halfcourt offense, and I think he will be more successful at slashing off the catch rather than off the bounce.  I know that's not an earth-moving take, but last year, I wasn't comfortable with anyone getting him the ball in the position to attack off the catch.  Now, I am.

daprospecta

Quote from: RazorAg on October 30, 2014, 01:48:12 pm
I was on 2 year old duty last night at the arena, which resulted in me not watching as closely as I wanted to and leaving with just under 10 minutes left, but I thought I'd throw a few thoughts out here.

If you've been reading any of the reports from Mike's PCs, you've seen the high praise for Bobby Portis.  Last night validated that praise.  The confidence beamed.  He looks different.  He moves differently.  He plays differently.  Everything that you'd want to see from a modern-day power forward, he showed, and the competition has no effect on my evaluation here.  Biggest changes?  Power, fluidity and confidence.  I've been excited to see how much he's improved; he should have a very big year.

I wouldn't say anything else really jumped out at me as significant take-aways.  I know a lot of people are talking about Durham, Beard and Williams.  Those three guys performed well, no doubt, but I'm reserving significant judgement at this time.  Need to see more.

I'll say this - I'm salivating at the opportunity for Madden to play off the ball.  If last night was any indication, he will be more aggressive in the halfcourt offense, and I think he will be more successful at slashing off the catch rather than off the bounce.  I know that's not an earth-moving take, but last year, I wasn't comfortable with anyone getting him the ball in the position to attack off the catch.  Now, I am.
I know the feeling. I was in the EXACT same position two years ago at the Red and White game.  It gets better.

The_Iceman

The one big takeaway I have from the scrimmage is our ability to finish around the rim. Whether it is put backs, hustle buckets, post moves, or a dribble drive, we are getting better looks at the rim. Those high percentage looks will come in handy, especially on the road.

The only two players I didn't see any significant improvement on from last year was Harris and Madden. Both looked about the same to me. Harris needs to back off the jump shots. Madden was better when the ball wasn't in his hand at the top of the key.

With everyone else, you could see where each had been improving and developing their body and their overall game. I'm excited for this season.

-Blu

playlist link

Can we get this man a special icon by his name or something.

WarPig88

Thanks for posting the vids! :)

I think this is the most talented team we have had since Nolan left. There are about 4 guys who are capable of personal 6 pt runs and others who can put the ball in the hole well enough to keep the other team honest when defending them.

My only question is with their mental toughness. It's only a question because they really haven't proven it on the court yet. It's probably there, but I will be much relieved when I actually see it in a tough game.

mhuff

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 29, 2014, 10:37:14 pm

mhuff

Glad to see Williams have a good offensive game.... I hope this is a regular game occurrence. Perhaps he really worked hard this summer. It was time to fish or cut bait. Perhaps he elected to reach his fullest potential..... man that would be great.