Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fans

Started by Medic821, October 27, 2014, 12:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 28, 2014, 05:56:51 pm
I said well into the 90's.  Thanks for reminding me it was later, although it wasn't every year, as you suggest.  The Memphis games, as I recall, were part of a series and not intended to build local support the way the earlier games were.   

I've already detailed the Vols' history in Memphis prior to 1990 and it extends throughout the twentieth century.  If we had a search feature I'd pull that post up. I believe I did the research last year or the year before. 

You said PER YEAR as in every year. I showed that wasn't the case. I believe you also tried to intimate because they NEEDED to still play there all the time which obviously isn't the case or they would. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2014, 01:26:09 am
You said PER YEAR as in every year. I showed that wasn't the case. I believe you also tried to intimate because they NEEDED to still play there all the time which obviously isn't the case or they would. 

I think the word you are looking for is "insinuate", but there was no insinuation in my post concerning any need for UT to continue playing in Memphis.  Butch Jones said the 2015 UAB game was moved to Nashville for recruiting purposes. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 29, 2014, 07:23:28 am
I think the word you are looking for is "insinuate", but there was no insinuation in my post concerning any need for UT to continue playing in Memphis.   

Actually, "intimate" is appropriate in that situation.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intimate

bphi11ips

BartIV

Stop expanding the stadium and just fill the damn thing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 29, 2014, 07:23:28 am
I think the word you are looking for is "insinuate", but there was no insinuation in my post concerning any need for UT to continue playing in Memphis.  Butch Jones said the 2015 UAB game was moved to Nashville for recruiting purposes. 

Nashville is more important to Tenners recruiting than Memphis. Memphis recruiting is equally important to several SEC schools.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2014, 09:36:50 am
Nashville is more important to Tenners recruiting than Memphis. Memphis recruiting is equally important to several SEC schools.

It is now, but that hasn't always been the case. 

In 1950, the population of Memphis was 396,000.  Nashville was 174,000.  Atlanta was 331,000. 

In 2014, Nashville has an MSA of 1.7M.  Memphis is 1.324M.  Atlanta is 5.5M.

Memphis was the economic engine of the South for over a century.  Now it's Atlanta.  Nashville is the hottest city in the South.  Things change.

My dad's grandparents were from Memphis and lived near Overton Park when I was very young.  I remember Memphis in the 60s when it still had some of its old dignity left.  It's still a cool city if you ask me, but only a shadow of its former self.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 29, 2014, 11:45:38 am
It is now, but that hasn't always been the case. 

In 1950, the population of Memphis was 396,000.  Nashville was 174,000.  Atlanta was 331,000. 

In 2014, Nashville has an MSA of 1.7M.  Memphis is 1.324M.  Atlanta is 5.5M.

Memphis was the economic engine of the South for over a century.  Now it's Atlanta.  Nashville is the hottest city in the South.  Things change.

My dad's grandparents were from Memphis and lived near Overton Park when I was very young.  I remember Memphis in the 60s when it still had some of its old dignity left.  It's still a cool city if you ask me, but only a shadow of its former self.

True things/times have changed. I was just pointing out that things are different today than they were before. Just like the GSD in Arkansas would never have been an issue back then but it is now. Back then distance was a bigger factor for recruits than today. Atlanta has always been a big recruiting ground for Tenner due to distance being close and of course several others. I'm sorry to disagree with you but I don't think Memphis has ever had more dignity than today especially back then. The reason is in it's racial overtones. In the past they were much worse than today. My wife grew up here during the 60's -70's and she doesn't speak highly of those times. I've lived here since 1997 and it is better today then it was then. Still not what it needs to be or should be but that's true of a lot of cities. It's not a pretty city and has crime issues and doesn't offer the type of activities we enjoy most. We have never been a crime victim anywhere else we lived before and have been three times here (nonviolent). We plan to move away at some point. The only reasons we are sill here are family being close and her FedEx job.

bigred223

I agree that fans should do what they can within their means and schedules to make as many games as possible.

However, any program that suffers the debacle that we have suffered since 2012 would have a hard time filling the stadium for an 11 am game against UAB. I'm 23 and I've been going with my parents since 1998 to just about every home game. I'm one of those people who wakes up at 3 am the first Saturday of the season, and I love going to the games and prefer it to watching it on TV. That being said, going to the games requires a real time commitment, and a lot of times the average fan would prefer to save time and money by watching it on TV, especially against a team that we are going to blow out like UAB. I personally couldn't make it because I had to be in Dallas for job interviews.

The only game that I was disappointed with attendance this year was the A&M game in Dallas. Obviously, it's expensive to get down there for that game, but this year was the worst attendance that I can remember (I've been to all 4 games there). Other than that, I think the fans have been as supportive as could reasonably be expected. I will be surprised if there are many empty seats for the LSU and Ole Miss games.