Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fans

Started by Medic821, October 27, 2014, 12:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic821

Im not the expert like most of these posters seem to be.  I have been a hog fan all my life, Im 43 so thats a long time...I can recall when South Carolina came to the SEC with us, and they had the same problems we did.  The one differnce I noticed is that win or loose, that stadium was for the most part full and they were loud and proud.  Saturday, that stadium was not full for home comming.. Those players deserved for that place to be full.. I dont make alot of money, Im just a Paramedic, but I was there and going nuts...Its easy to show up when things are going our way (WINNING).  TRUE fans show UP regardless....Why are we so fickle.   I just dont get it...Now let the smart mouth comments start.  Thats common for this site.  iF YOU HAVE THE MEANS PLEASE BE THERE FOR THESE GUYS.  The corner is about to turn.

PorkRinds

Not ever going to be a sell out for a rent a win game. 

HOGinNC

it was UAB.  the rest of our games will be full.

cosmodrum

He's right about SC. Even if they win one game, that stadium is full. I done seent it.
Go away, batin'

hobhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 27, 2014, 12:22:27 pm
He's right about SC. Even if they win one game, that stadium is full. I done seent it.

Spurrier used to complain how they filed out at first sign of trouble too....

This is silly. Hog fans have been great this year.

jm

The days of full stadiums is likely in the past for most teams due to television. Even if you live near the stadium, it is a full day spent to attend a game by the time you fight traffic to get in and again to leave. If you watch on tv, you can go hunting, or whatever else you enjoy, and turn on the game at gme time. It's simple, no stress, drink all you want, and  enjoy.

hogsanity

Quote from: jm on October 27, 2014, 12:40:30 pm
The days of full stadiums is likely in the past for most teams due to television. Even if you live near the stadium, it is a full day spent to attend a game by the time you fight traffic to get in and again to leave. If you watch on tv, you can go hunting, or whatever else you enjoy, and turn on the game at gme time. It's simple, no stress, drink all you want, and  enjoy.

The main thing I have seen change, and I am 44, is that when I was 14 or 24, if I went to the game, I was not missing 5 or 6 other really good games on tv because there were not that many on. Now, if you go to see a game ( not just Hogs, but any college game ) you are missing 5 or 6 other good games.  I can stay home, do other things as you pointed out, sit down for lunch and watch some football, go back and do some other stuff, dvr the Hogs if they play at 11 or noon, or even 2:30, then when I want to sit down and watch, I can, with my own food/drinks/couch. Zip through the commercials, etc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DukeOfPork

Quote from: jm on October 27, 2014, 12:40:30 pm

It's true.  This is a problem everywhere now.  TV coverage is better than it has ever been and attendance is affected by that.

Having said that, I was disappointed in the attendance.  I was certainly there - as I always am, win or lose.  I wish others deemed it important to always attend, but I totally understand people having other priorities.

My only problem is that half the people who come on Hogville and criticize the coaches don't bother to actually attend games and support the players.  B**ching on a message board isn't helping anything. 

lstewart

So many games being on tv each Saturday, and all hogs games being on, really does impact attendance. We've had 4 season tickets since my older son was a pre-schooler, and before my younger son was born. My older son is now 27, graduated from UA, and seldom goes to games. He does what others have said, watches them on tv, so he can watch all the other games. My younger son is a freshman now, and a huge fan, so he is there unless he has a conflict with his college team. He missed the Bama game as they were in Texas playing, and he was not happy. But I agree that attendance will continue to drop as so many good games are on TV, and the quality of TV's are so good as well. Just a different world than it was 20 or 30 years ago concerning college football.

GolfnHog

I wasn't there for this game due to other obligations but all 4 of my seats were used. I did however watch it on the DVR once I got back home.

Yes, I make the financial investment to attend every game I can and have only missed 3 or 4 in the past 20 years but I also know that with the advent of TV viewing, early morning KO's and other considerations, game attendance will be suspect for OOC-rent a win.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hogsanity

My youngest is 11.  When I was 11, there was 1, maybe two national games a week (if abc had a double header). There were some regional packages too ( raycom anyone ). I remember Hog games being on tape delay at 10:30pm after the local news.  To see highlights you had to catch the Prudential College Scorebard after the ABC game.  I used to tune into channel 11 out of Dallas on Sunday nights to watch all the coaches highlight shows they had ( NTSU, TCU, Baylor, OU, SMU ).  HEck, in a Sunday to Sat week, there have already been 3-5 games on before Sat even gets here. Then 4 or 5 11am games, a couple more around 1, 2 or 2:30 on CBS, ABC, and Fox. ND on NBS when at home, then all the night games.

Will college football ever become like horseracing? Many tracks stands are virtually empty, because people can now bet without being at the track. I mean the big races are still well attended, more as a social event than for the race itself.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lstewart

I like seeing the hog games on tv when they are on the road, but I miss the old days where tv did not influence home game times. Games were usually at night the first half of the season, and then maybe more afternoon games as the weather got cooler. Never had these 11am games until tv got involved. Of course it is fun being to see all the other good games that are shown.

hogsanity

Quote from: lstewart on October 27, 2014, 02:23:04 pm
I like seeing the hog games on tv when they are on the road, but I miss the old days where tv did not influence home game times. Games were usually at night the first half of the season, and then maybe more afternoon games as the weather got cooler. Never had these 11am games until tv got involved. Of course it is fun being to see all the other good games that are shown.

It was pretty much standard nationwide. Games either kicked at 1 or 6.And games didn't take 41/2 hours either.

John Futrall

Quote from: Medic821 on October 27, 2014, 12:12:44 pm
Im not the expert like most of these posters seem to be.  I have been a hog fan all my life, Im 43 so thats a long time...I can recall when South Carolina came to the SEC with us, and they had the same problems we did.  The one differnce I noticed is that win or loose, that stadium was for the most part full and they were loud and proud.  Saturday, that stadium was not full for home comming.. Those players deserved for that place to be full.. I dont make alot of money, Im just a Paramedic, but I was there and going nuts...Its easy to show up when things are going our way (WINNING).  TRUE fans show UP regardless....Why are we so fickle.   I just dont get it...Now let the smart mouth comments start.  Thats common for this site.  iF YOU HAVE THE MEANS PLEASE BE THERE FOR THESE GUYS.  The corner is about to turn.

Another post about the definition of TRUE fan... :(

Jackrabbit Hog

My wife and I got up at 3:15 a.m. to leave Memphis at 4:30 to make the 5.5 hour drive to Fayetteville.  If we can do that, all the rest of you panty-waists can get to games.

Except PonderinHog.  He's bant.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

.Its easy to show up when things are going our way (WINNING).  TRUE fans show UP regardless....

Unless you live in NWA, it is not EASY to show up at all. Take last Sat, 11am kickoff. Even coming from FS, that meant you had to be gone by 9am. So that's up at 8, gone by 9, home around or a little after 4 ( if you didn't stop to eat ). Everything unpacked and put away by 5. Pretty much shot the whole day. That is from Fort Smith. Now extrapolate that out to Clarksville? Little Rock? Josesboro? Texarkana? Pine Bluff? Eudora.

Ash

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2014, 02:31:16 pm
Unless you live in NWA, it is not EASY to show up at all. Take last Sat, 11am kickoff. Even coming from FS, that meant you had to be gone by 9am. So that's up at 8, gone by 9, home around or a little after 4 ( if you didn't stop to eat ). Everything unpacked and put away by 5. Pretty much shot the whole day. That is from Fort Smith. Now extrapolate that out to Clarksville? Little Rock? Josesboro? Texarkana? Pine Bluff? Eudora.

Yeah screw that noise. I'm not driving to NWA and dealing with the traffic and people. Happily sit at home and watch it with friends on the tv.

DukeOfPork

Actually, I always plan on every home game Saturday being "shot", as you say.

When the schedule comes out, I immediately put the games in our iPhone calendar and my wife and I plan everything else in the Fall around those games.

thirrdegreetusker

Saturday, that stadium was not full for home comming.. Those players deserved for that place to be full......Why are we so fickle.   I just dont get it...

* 11 am kickoff
* no-name opponent
* beautiful day
* muzzle-loader season
* expensive tickets & "scholarship donation"
* game televised

The world has changed. I had season tickets for Fay and LR for over 30 years. Got to where I could not give tickets away, even when BP was still rolling. I enjoyed going, but no one else did, at least not enough to commit to some $ for the tickets I was paying for.

ricepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 27, 2014, 02:46:09 pm
* 11 am kickoff
* no-name opponent
* beautiful day
* muzzle-loader season
* expensive tickets & "scholarship donation"
* game televised

The world has changed. I had season tickets for Fay and LR for over 30 years. Got to where I could not give tickets away, even when BP was still rolling. I enjoyed going, but no one else did, at least not enough to commit to some $ for the tickets I was paying for.

I've never had problems giving tickets away, usually got paid for them if I wanted to. It's an investment, both in time and money, but it still gives me goose bumps when the band forms the "A" and heads north.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2014, 02:51:18 pm
I've never had problems giving tickets away, usually got paid for them if I wanted to. It's an investment, both in time and money, but it still gives me goose bumps when the band forms the "A" and heads north.

Same here.  I will gripe and complain and whine about the long drive, the traffic, the cost of our tickets and parking space, the heat........and then when the players take the field I realize why I do it for every home game.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 27, 2014, 02:37:13 pm
Actually, I always plan on every home game Saturday being "shot", as you say.

When the schedule comes out, I immediately put the games in our iPhone calendar and my wife and I plan everything else in the Fall around those games.

That is fine, but the post I replied to was that it was "easy" to go. You have to plan your whole fall around games, and then you still don't have game times until sometimes as few as 6 days before the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 27, 2014, 02:29:29 pm
My wife and I got up at 3:15 a.m. to leave Memphis at 4:30 to make the 5.5 hour drive to Fayetteville.  If we can do that, all the rest of you panty-waists can get to games.

Except PonderinHog.  He's bant.

I could pay for tickets - thankfully money is not a issue right now.

I could make the hour drive, got a good vehicle

I could give up 4 or 5 Saturdays per year.

I could tell my son he can't play fall baseball, so as not to interfere with games.

I could tell my other son, no band and no quiz bowl - those take up lots of Saturdays

In other words, I COULD make every game, home and away, but right now with  a 16 and a 11 yr old, it is not top priority.

arcowboy

Went over to Fayetteville @ 9am , there was no traffic , in fact the lightest I have ever seen on any day ever.  I have had season tickets for yrs working my way up with contributions to the 20 yd line.  5 yrs ago dropped out and started buying tickets outside before game.  Sometimes at ticket window two hrs before game.  Never have I sit anywhere but the 35 to 50 yd line lower level since then.  Very seldom having to pay face value.  It seems like after about Oct 1, no matter the opponent people loose interest and quit coming.  A rent a game I the first two weeks is harder to find a ticket than a LSU in late season.  Rent a win games in October are not going to draw a full stadium. 

nchogg

Since I live on the east coast it's hard to even think about a live game. Others have made true fan comments here including me. Yes you can get bashed here but nothing like some other sites where you get cussed out and players and coaches get cussed and attacked on a personal basis. Ive been lightly bashed here but bashing does not get under my skin.  I have been a fan for more than decade longer than you. I hope it turns out well.

ricepig

Quote from: arcowboy on October 27, 2014, 03:06:26 pm
Went over to Fayetteville @ 9am , there was no traffic , in fact the lightest I have ever seen on any day ever.  I have had season tickets for yrs working my way up with contributions to the 20 yd line.  5 yrs ago dropped out and started buying tickets outside before game.  Sometimes at ticket window two hrs before game.  Never have I sit anywhere but the 35 to 50 yd line lower level since then.  Very seldom having to pay face value.  It seems like after about Oct 1, no matter the opponent people loose interest and quit coming.  A rent a game I the first two weeks is harder to find a ticket than a LSU in late season.  Rent a win games in October are not going to draw a full stadium. 

Not saying it won't be easy to find LSU tickets on the 15th, but there are less than 2500 left on the website. There is a few more for the Old Miss game the following week.

MJ2

IMO, the attendance issue is entirely a function of cost.   If prices were reasonable - $25 or so, the place would be closer to packed.   Plus, when you win, there tends to be higher demand.

ricepig

Quote from: MJ2 on October 27, 2014, 03:17:22 pm
IMO, the attendance issue is entirely a function of cost.   If prices were reasonable - $25 or so, the place would be closer to packed.   Plus, when you win, there tends to be higher demand.

We have ticket prices that are near the bottom of the conference, I don't think it's entirely price.

hogsanity

Quote from: MJ2 on October 27, 2014, 03:17:22 pm

Hogs have the 4th lowest ticket prices in the sec. Plus, there are tickets just about every game for well under face.  Last Friday, stub hub had many for $8.25 each.

snoblind

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2014, 03:03:06 pm
I could pay for tickets - thankfully money is not a issue right now.

I could make the hour drive, got a good vehicle

I could give up 4 or 5 Saturdays per year.

I could tell my son he can't play fall baseball, so as not to interfere with games.

I could tell my other son, no band and no quiz bowl - those take up lots of Saturdays

In other words, I COULD make every game, home and away, but right now with  a 16 and a 11 yr old, it is not top priority.

I'm a Fort Smith boy older than you and you bring up a great point about the kids.  So many more things for them to be involved in plus those that schedule don't take into account games.  When I was growing up the 2 things I did were sports and scouts.  First thing the scouts did when planning year/events was pull out a Razorback schedule.  In state?  Nothing was scheduled.  Boys Club sports?  Nothing was scheduled on Saturdays because of games.  Once I got to Junior High and beyond coaches would actually schedule practice earlier so parents could get on the road.  And sports practices were the only school activities I recall on Saturday.

All Fayetteville games were at 2:30 or later in the fall at 1:30.  All Little Rock were at night.

Our tailgate was lunch at Prairie Grove Battlefield park and after the game literally at the tailgate.  My mom would bake a ham and my dad would pick up a bucket of chicken and spuds at Chicken Hut.  Add in "fixins" and they spent less than $20 for food with leftovers for during the week.

Tickets were $10 0r $15.00.  The donation plan didn't start until late 60's or early 70's, but for years if not decades it wasn't very much.  That's when my folks got moved to 44 because they couldn't afford the "big money" spots.

So it isn't just one thing.  Cost, other family activities, TV, etc. all play a part.

hogfan870

Game is on espnu right now. I was out of state and unable to attend or watch the game, but from the crowd shots on tv, whoever said the lower bowl was 90% full is crazy. It was maybe 75% full. I wasn't there so I can't complain, but considering it was homecoming, that is not an impressive crowd

jkstock04

Smart mouth comments...hmmm.

Well for starters some may say I'm as fickel as they come...I can't stand how terrible of a team we have been, can't stand the conference losing streak, and am absolutely not sold on Bielema and his philophosy at Arkansas. BUT, I was at the game Saturday...I never miss a home game. I Guess if you are gonna give yourself a pat on the back for being there I will too! *pat*pat

Also, Arkansas state population 2.9 million.....South Carolina state population 4.75 million. So Try again there. Find a state with a comparable population to Arkansas that brings 76k to their stadium on a normal basis despite the opposition...and that will be noteworthy.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

prattville pig

the thing that gets me, is people who are 43 or 44 think they are old.
Life's too short to last long.

twistitup

As The Corner Turns
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

1highhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2014, 12:15:45 pm
Not ever going to be a sell out for a rent a win game. 

It's never going to be, that's correct, that's why the UofA should never consider adding on to the Stadium.  It'd just be a waste of money to do so.  I've never understood why the people of our State think they're the best fans in all of College Football, some crazy notion I guess that someone said many years ago when times were far different, but we wouldn't make the best fan base in a top 25 poll.

Choctaw Hog

And it just might have something to do with the obvious.  South Carolina has about 2 million more people in the state than does Arkansas (4.8 vs. 2.9). Big time sports is a numbers game and that's why pro franchises are for the most part located in populated areas.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 28, 2014, 07:05:27 am
And it just might have something to do with the obvious.  South Carolina has about 2 million more people in the state than does Arkansas (4.8 vs. 2.9). Big time sports is a numbers game and that's why pro franchises are for the most part located in populated areas.

And TWO major D1 universities that split the population and 48th in per capita income to Arkansas's 45th
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 27, 2014, 11:35:03 pm
Also, Arkansas state population 2.9 million.....South Carolina state population 4.75 million. So Try again there. Find a state with a comparable population to Arkansas that brings 76k to their stadium on a normal basis despite the opposition...and that will be noteworthy.

Nebraska

Population              1.869M
2013 record -            8-4
Home attendance -   727,466 (2013)
Stadium capacity -    87,000
2013 OOC -  Wyoming, Southern Miss, South Dakota State
2013 record - 8-4

Difference?

MSA for Omaha/Lincoln = 1.2 M
MSA for NWA = 500,000 (about)
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jkstock04

I would venture to guess that in comparisons to other states with similar population....our stadium is bigger than most, if not the biggest. Yet still you have clown fans (who don't go to the games) complain about lack of attendance.

People who complain about this (especially if they don't go to the games) need to come on here with solid proof that we are a terrible fanbase compared to other states/schools...and not just shoot off at the mouth at the first inkling that comes to their mind.

There MAY actually be a small state/school like ours that regularly brings more fans to games than us. If so I'd like to see it brought to the table.

One thing I would say about it...if demand for tickets continues to go down into next year what will Jeff Long do? If we fail to get to a bowl game or worse fail to get that sought out conference win then inevitably ticket sales will continue to dwindle....unless he lowers prices? Doubtful this will happen on full season ticket packages but I'd say it's food for thought.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 28, 2014, 07:45:58 am
Nebraska

Population              1.869M
2013 record -            8-4
Home attendance -   727,466 (2013)
Stadium capacity -    87,000
2013 OOC -  Wyoming, Southern Miss, South Dakota State
2013 record - 8-4

Difference?

MSA for Omaha/Lincoln = 1.2 M
MSA for NWA = 500,000 (about)
Like you said the biggest disparity is the 1.2 mil compared to 500k. But, to me this is a closer comparison than South Carolina....and there you have it, population smaller than ours but a bigger stadium.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

popcornhog

I've thought that the game day atmosphere in Fayetteville has been great this year. The conference games have been packed even though we haven't won in two years.

I missed the UAB game because I live out of state and had other obligations last weekend, but my tickets were used.
WPS

hawg17

I think it is a mixture of things. The school is way offset in one direction. That rules out part of the state. As many people just are not going to drive that far. We are a small state with a small population. We are a poor state and ticket prices although cheap on stub hub for Non Con games, it is still a tank of gas, 20 for parking and if you want to eat you better have some money especially if you have a couple of kids. Fayetteville hardly ever sells out, that we did not sell out for this game is no surprise. We are not Bama, we are not LSU, and we will most likely never be a constant sell out team. The money and the fans just are not there. If we win a NC maybe we can sell out a full season, but it is easy to see why we do not get the 5 star recruits when we cannot fill a stadium up.

Hoggish1

SC is situated right in the middle of the largest population base in the state.  NW Arkansas will continue to grow and Arkansas football attendance will benefit as the population in NW Arkansas grows.

Hoggish1

SC is situated right in the middle of the largest population base in the state.  NW Arkansas will continue to grow and Arkansas football attendance will benefit as the population in NW Arkansas grows.

In addition, these off (non SEC) games are difficult, especially when they are at 11AM.  I'd like to see the rent a win game cost for a ticket drastically reduced so there is no reason, regardless of the time, that the players will not be playing before a packed house.

ricepig

Quote from: hawg17 on October 28, 2014, 08:14:42 am
I think it is a mixture of things. The school is way offset in one direction. That rules out part of the state. As many people just are not going to drive that far. We are a small state with a small population. We are a poor state and ticket prices although cheap on stub hub for Non Con games, it is still a tank of gas, 20 for parking and if you want to eat you better have some money especially if you have a couple of kids. Fayetteville hardly ever sells out, that we did not sell out for this game is no surprise. We are not Bama, we are not LSU, and we will most likely never be a constant sell out team. The money and the fans just are not there. If we win a NC maybe we can sell out a full season, but it is easy to see why we do not get the 5 star recruits when we cannot fill a stadium up.

We sold out season tickets in 2012, go figure.....oh, good thing those Vol fans in West TN don't know about this distance thing.

Inhogswetrust

It used to be but not anymore just like at a lot of places.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Yet fans across the country for generations have been sacrificing Saturdays to drive distances and attend games for their team for a LONG time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ash on October 27, 2014, 02:35:05 pm
Yeah screw that noise. I'm not driving to NWA and dealing with the traffic and people. Happily sit at home and watch it with friends on the tv.

The only thing as bad as a fair weather fan is a fan of convenience. The only exception to what you said was if you don't attend due to other higher priority obligations or financial reasons. I hope your boss doesn't think you are that lazy at work to put up with a few inconveniences to do something.........

IntegrityHog

Good post.  True fans will always support the team, no matter what.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2014, 02:51:18 pm

I should probably have been more specific. With the investment I had, I was not going to take a chance on giving them to a stranger, and take the chance of spending four hours sitting next to a prick. I once requested my WMS season ticket location be moved, solely because there was a guy behind us who was the most obnoxious, know-nothing, fair-weather fan I have ever been around.

So, if I could not find a taker among family/friends, I would not give them away, or even sell them cheap. I would rather choose who I watched the game with.