Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why UK kept it close against MSU

Started by Arazorbackguy1, October 26, 2014, 11:13:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

The use of the QB draw. MSU could not stop their qb when he took off for a run. It would be nice if we threw this in the mix a bit, with a slide instead of taking a hit.

It might just take enough off their rush to open up some things on the run.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

B501

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 26, 2014, 11:13:27 pm
The use of the QB draw. MSU could not stop their qb when he took off for a run. It would be nice if we threw this in the mix a bit, with a slide instead of taking a hit.

id rather not see BA get twisted like a pretzel. the reason the qb draw worked for kentucky was because they could successfully complete the forward pass (400 yards in the air against MSU)

onebadrubi

Quote from: b501 on October 26, 2014, 11:25:29 pm
id rather not see BA get twisted like a pretzel. the reason the qb draw worked for kentucky was because they could successfully complete the forward pass (400 yards in the air against MSU)

MSU's largest weak point is their secondary.  Most have exploited this all year long. 

They've played one physical team all year, that was LSU, which was their closest game all year.  LSU can't throw on anyone at this point. 

Fayettechill14

Curiously, Texas A&M really couldn't throw on them. That's odd because nearly every team they've played (including UAB) has torched them through the air.

This is hard for me to believe, but they are actually DEAD LAST in the SEC in total defense.

clutch

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 27, 2014, 12:28:57 am
Curiously, Texas A&M really couldn't throw on them. That's odd because nearly every team they've played (including UAB) has torched them through the air.

This is hard for me to believe, but they are actually DEAD LAST in the SEC in total defense.

They had 365 passing yards. Hill only completed about 60% of his passes, but completion percentage usually goes down when you throw it 62 times. 37-62 for 365 yards and 4 tds. Not a bad day through the air.

Auburn has had the toughest time passing against them of their sec opponents. They were only about 48% for 209 yards

Fayettechill14

Quote from: clutch on October 27, 2014, 12:38:00 am
They had 365 passing yards. Hill only completed about 60% of his passes, but completion percentage usually goes down when you throw it 62 times. 37-62 for 365 yards and 4 tds. Not a bad day through the air.

Auburn has had the toughest time passing against them of their sec opponents. They were only about 48% for 209 yards

How much of Texas A&M's passing yardage claim late, when the game was out of reach? I believe A&M scored two TDs in the 4th quarter. UAB did as well, although UAB had moved the ball throughout the game.

Again, Miss State is dead last in the SEC in total defense at 439 yards per game. That said, they're ranked higher in scoring defense and yards per play defense.

clutch

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 27, 2014, 12:42:55 am
How much of Texas A&M's passing yardage claim late, when the game was out of reach? I believe A&M scored two TDs in the 4th quarter. UAB did as well, although UAB had moved the ball throughout the game.

Again, Miss State is dead last in the SEC in total defense at 439 yards per game. That said, they're ranked higher in scoring defense and yards per play defense.

No idea. I wasn't at home to watch that game just got curious after your post and looked it up. Still it seems that Auburn probably struggled the most. I doubt they had 200 of those yards in the 4th. I do think one of the Tds was right at the buzzer though.

longbore

No team has logged any offensive stats against MSU with a lead this year. Their defense has never been on the field when trailing an opponent. This is according to situational stats at  cfbstats.com. They have given up about 170 yards when tied.

ChicoHog

And A&M receivers dropped about 15 passes. 

Hoggish1

Patrick Toles is 6'5" 238 and does a great imitation of Dak Prescot.  Are you suggesting that BA is anything like those two studs?

cypert2

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 27, 2014, 05:40:16 am
Patrick Toles is 6'5" 238 and does a great imitation of Dak Prescot.  Are you suggesting that BA is anything like those two studs?
Towles is a big time QB on a mediocre team. Believe he might be better than Prescott. He'll make a lot of money in the NFL.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Hoggish1

Quote from: cypert2 on October 27, 2014, 06:35:21 am
Towles is a big time QB on a mediocre team. Believe he might be better than Prescott. He'll make a lot of money in the NFL.

True and that's why the OP's ideas are off the wall. 

TheGunther

Arkansas is going to do Arkansas. If they are susceptible to the quarterback draw then it might mean their defense is a over aggressive, rushing up the field quickly.  We have 3 large backs that could take a delayed hand off for the same effect.  But that means we have to have some semblance of a passing game to offset it.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

razorsharptusk

More proof of where a big, physical QB, who can also run,  a Matt Jones type, is a huge asset to a football team in todays college football game.  It's another threat a defense has to be concerned about.  Teams expect our backs to get the ball, it's what we do.  We have to win in the trenches and our backs have to make people miss.
GO HOGS!!

hogsanity

Do people actually study the WHY something works for one team, but might not for another. Take MSU for example. Prescott has carried the ball 124 times, in 7 games, almost 18 carries a game for the QB, and averaging over 20 carries a game in the last 4. How many other SEC team would that work for, not just for one game, but an entire season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jm

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 27, 2014, 07:40:57 am
More proof of where a big, physical QB, who can also run,  a Matt Jones type, is a huge asset to a football team in todays college football game.  It's another threat a defense has to be concerned about.  Teams expect our backs to get the ball, it's what we do.  We have to win in the trenches and our backs have to make people miss.

Hell, everyone wants a Matt Jones. There may not be a Matt Jones in America right now. Guys that have that combination of size and speed are like white buffalo; they may exist but most people never see one.

TrueBlue

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 27, 2014, 07:40:57 am

Matt Jones wouldn't last a day with CBB. You actually have to be dedicated and care to be on the team now days. 

hehawg

Quote from: cypert2 on October 27, 2014, 06:35:21 am

Well said
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

DeltaBoy

We got to play a near perfect game to beat State.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 27, 2014, 12:28:57 am

I believe they are first or second in red zone defense though.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HOGINTENNESSEE

UK was absolutely affective using this. You are 1000% correct

If you think in any way Arkansas with their personal is completely ignorant.

onebadrubi

Quote from: clutch on October 27, 2014, 12:50:52 am
No idea. I wasn't at home to watch that game just got curious after your post and looked it up. Still it seems that Auburn probably struggled the most. I doubt they had 200 of those yards in the 4th. I do think one of the Tds was right at the buzzer though.

I believe Ms st had a 3 possession lead in the 1st qtr or early in the second in the Auburn game.  They then basically just held on to that for the remaining part of the game. 

I think with Dak MS st is able to hold on to the ball and keep the chains moving for large TOP chunks of the game, whish assist the D.  Which is also our game. 

rogers-hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 27, 2014, 09:40:43 am
Matt Jones wouldn't last a day with CBB. You actually have to be dedicated and care to be on the team now days. 
I guess he's to blame for 0-16 also.  Man who will you guys not throw under the bus to run down the Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 27, 2014, 10:47:08 am
I guess he's to blame for 0-16 also.  Man who will you guys not throw under the bus to run down the Hogs.

it is very common knowledge that MJ had a pretty bad work ethic, it is why he flopped in the nfl. How is bringing up facts throwing someone under the bus.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Sometimes lesser teams play close games against better teams.  Kentucky came within a touchdown of South Carolina last year but lost 48-17 to Missouri, 59-17 against Georgia, and 48-7 against Alabama.

It happens sometimes.  There isn't always a logical explanation or something that can be used to predict the outcomes of further games.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 27, 2014, 11:07:47 am
Sometimes lesser teams play close games against better teams.  Kentucky came within a touchdown of South Carolina last year but lost 48-17 to Missouri, 59-17 against Georgia, and 48-7 against Alabama.

It happens sometimes.  There isn't always a logical explanation or something that can be used to predict the outcomes of further games.

Kind of like UAB putting up 32 and alot of yards on MSU, but outside of kick returns looking offensively inept against the Hogs.

Pigsknuckles

After watching MSS, OM, and LSU over the weekend, I have come to the conclusion that we best start Tretola in each of  these games. ;)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

rogers-hog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 27, 2014, 10:56:29 am
it is very common knowledge that MJ had a pretty bad work ethic, it is why he flopped in the nfl. How is bringing up facts throwing someone under the bus.
well let's see, he gave us 4 years and has been gone for 10 but you still feel, at the mere mention of his name to bring up something negative.

Eta: and he took a pounding during those 4 years. Can you imagine the gains we've made in the last 14 years in the equipment and ability to rehab the body that maybe he would have been able to as you believe "give" a little more effort.

hogsanity

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 27, 2014, 01:28:25 pm
well let's see, he gave us 4 years and has been gone for 10 but you still feel, at the mere mention of his name to bring up something negative.

Eta: and he took a pounding during those 4 years. Can you imagine the gains we've made in the last 14 years in the equipment and ability to rehab the body that maybe he would have been able to as you believe "give" a little more effort.

I never once said he dogged it in a game. My nephew played HS ball with him. He was lazy in practice then, drove his coaches crazy, but none of them ever had the stones to bench him.

MJ also was not physical, not in the sense of Prescott. They use Prescott like a battering ram ( much like Mullen used Tebow at Fla ). MJ ran, and did his best to make people miss. Prescott carries the ball 20 times a game, and takes a pounding, but he is built like a LB.

rogers-hog

Again you say lazy.  You have no class to say that whether he did or didn't unless you live in his shoes.  How much he gave or didn't and his failure in the nfl will be something he has to live with along with the gimpy body parts he EARNED on the field. Show some respect.

hogsanity

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 27, 2014, 01:53:04 pm
Again you say lazy.  You have no class to say that whether he did or didn't unless you live in his shoes.  How much he gave or didn't and his failure in the nfl will be something he has to live with along with the gimpy body parts he EARNED on the field. Show some respect.

Are you this adamant in defending CURRENT Razorback players?  Have not seen you around when people are bashing BA.

jimmur74

Their QB is bigger faster stronger. Allen would be KO'd eventually

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 27, 2014, 01:28:25 pm

I am a HUGE MJ fan.  He is one of my favorite Hogs of all time.  That being said, it wasn't that his body needed rehabbing; he simply did not put forth much effort in practice.  Whoever the basketball coach was (Heath maybe?) when MJ played once asked Nutt how he got him practice harder, and Nutt's response was, "You tell me".  It  was well documented.  And to be honest, I agree that it would be hard for him to make it under CBB, since he really does require effort, and not just on game day.

With all that being said, he would be a HUGE asset to this, or any team.  Unfortunately, we may never see another Matt Jones in our lifetimes, at least not in a Razorback uniform. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

rogers-hog

You're right I believe that insulting any player current or past is wrong. Discussing whether someone thinks they should play or not is fair game but to just insult or belittle their character is disgusting and should not be tolerated by any fan.
For example,
I don't claim to be an expert but to me it seems B A's problems started the night the old coaches put him in against Monroe and did nothing to help him get in rhythm but just had him chunk it up against a blitzing d shaking his confidence and unleashing the hounds of hell on his tail via the Internet.  Follow that up with starting against bama the next game with no change in play calling leads to more people to pile on.  Then a total scheme change followed by struggles with an early injury and people do not understand why he struggles.
   Notice I did not call him lazy, talentless or criminal nor question his moral character. He is after all putting his future , on the field for our entertainment.

Tusks

Man how times have changed.  The #1 team in the nations defense gives up 439 a game.  That is almost mind boggling.

Used to be all the top 5 teams D gave up less than 350, typical most were under 300.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 27, 2014, 07:05:44 pm
Heck we almost beat them last year.

And that means what?   They weren't as good last year as they are this year plus it's in their home. Last time we were in their home they slaughtered us 45-14. 

I think the score will be a little closer than that score, but not by much.  Probably 42-21

Also last year was the first time Mississippi State ever beat us in Arkansas. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IBleedRazorbackRed

I think a rb draw out of the shotgun would be good enough.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 26, 2014, 11:30:09 pm
MSU's largest weak point is their secondary.  Most have exploited this all year long. 

They've played one physical team all year, that was LSU, which was their closest game all year.  LSU can't throw on anyone at this point. 
Miss St secondary has nothing to worry bout this week .. Our receivers can't beat anybody deep

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  17 hours ago

[UK DC D.J.] Eliot said MSU game a disappointing reminder that if you aren't sound and don't wrap up "bad things happen."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  Oct 28

Towles on delivering blows to defenders as a QB: "The more you give them, the less they can give you. That's what my dad always taught me."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  14 seconds ago
Kentucky's tackling drills this week are not paying off early against the Tigers.

jbcarol

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  1 hour ago
From @btoppmeyer: Kentucky threw for all sorts of yards against Mississippi State. Not the case against MU- http://bit.ly/1vzl7G2 .

jbcarol

Hailey Minogue with Who Said What: Last Night's Quotes

QuoteCoach Stoops On play execution:
"I have to be careful because I'm very frustrated right now, and I don't want to go off. That team was much tougher than us. And they beat us. They beat us in every one-on-one situation."

Patrick Towles On Mizzou's D:

"Missouri's defense is better, secondary is better than Mississippi States, we just have to make plays. When we are one-on-one situation, I have to make it happen and make throws. There are some times where I did tonight, and there are some times where I didn't."