Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want to see this wrinkle

Started by songofthesword, October 26, 2014, 10:29:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

One wrinkle that I think would take this offefnse to a new level, and to me it's just so damn ovbious but yet it's not being done..

put a RB in the WR slot position and run the speed sweep on every play a la auburn

that's EXACTLY what coach did when he was at Wisconsin and he had james white / gordon / ball he put james white in the slot and swept him on every play rather he got the ball or not, you had to respect the outside speed sweep which in turn opened up the inside

against georgia, they had 8 defenders INSIDE THE TACKLE BOX.  You can't run on that.  If you aren't going to open them up virtually by passing the ball at least open them up horizontally by making them space out and respect the speed sweep.

Korliss and Duwap would be perfect for that position. I just do not understand why this is not done.

HF#1

I'm sure Chaney reads Hogville.  Hopefully he will add it to the playbook.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

onebadrubi

Interesting.  I wonder if the young RB depth attributes to this?  Definitely with KM out and Collins I wouldn't think has the speed that you can't run that now. 

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:32:49 pm
I think its a legit question and would be a successful play...what I want to see is #7 throw from the TB sweep play or pull up and throw out of the Wildcat....#7 was a good QB in HS and since we have yet to do this, maybe, just maybe late in the game if we are close to Moo St or are ahead, we can let Damon duwop his thang with a TD pass to seal the deal
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rusvegashog

I had literally forgot Duwop was even on this team. Derby has been incredible, but Mitchell has been non existent. It's not like me to say this type of stuff(discord/noclue really) things on here, but surely he won't stick around another year. Who knows? Not me, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

azhog10

I normally chuckle at people's random arm chair qb type advice. That said, I have been shocked we haven't done this more. We actually have done it a few times with Hatcher and when we fake to hatcher and hand it off it seems we get a pretty good chunk of yardage. I wouldn't mind seeing it more, but I wonder if maybe we don't have that dynamite WR or ath that they feel comfortable with. Marshall has the speed but he had fumbleitis and now he's in trrouble off the field. Outside of him idk if Duwop has that kind of speed and I hear Hawkins has track star speed but I don't see it in the kick returns.......so idk.

HogShat

Hatcher is your go to receiver. Bring him in motion on a speed sweep you are tipping your hand that you aint gonna throw it.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:32:49 pm
[CENSORED]!

kingcam25

Ive been saying that all along. But run that same play out of the wildcat with Williams in the qb spot AC as RB and KM as the motion man!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 27, 2014, 09:24:13 am
Maybe you should coach.

The OP makes a valid point.  Chaney has called the jet sweep a few times.  However, he doesn't really have the right guy to run it this year.  Rather than insult the poster, maybe you could have pointed this out.  Maybe KJ Hill will be a player SEC defenses have to respect on the edge the way they did Felix Jones. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

tampahog

We have the personnel to run.   Would especially like to see on 4th and short vs what we have tried thus far

onebadrubi

Quote from: HogShat on October 27, 2014, 07:46:52 am
Hatcher is your go to receiver. Bring him in motion on a speed sweep you are tipping your hand that you aint gonna throw it.

So let's do it and watch the two TE's go over the seem.

SquidBilly

I'd love to see us run this play with Edwards or Wilson.  Line them up in the slot and do just what the OP describes.  This also adds another wrinkle in that it should help tip off if the defense is playing man to man or zone.  Gives Allen a good presnap read.

DeltaBoy

It would be a nice wrinkle if we can get all our RB back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorPiggie

We ran this play around 5 times against UGA.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: HogShat on October 27, 2014, 07:46:52 am

a.  you can definitely still throw it.  we have two extremely good tight ends and some of the other receivers are starting to step up as well.

b.  if you don't hand it to Hatcher, he can still go run a route and get open

I'm with the OP, was watching the game and me and my buddy were wondering the same thing, wish we would see that wrinkle thrown in.  May tip off what the D is doing and gives them something else to think about.  Also, BA plays very well from the shotgun so this would already have him in his comfort zone.

HogShat

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on October 27, 2014, 10:44:29 am
a.  you can definitely still throw it.  we have two extremely good tight ends and some of the other receivers are starting to step up as well.

b.  if you don't hand it to Hatcher, he can still go run a route and get open

I'm with the OP, was watching the game and me and my buddy were wondering the same thing, wish we would see that wrinkle thrown in.  May tip off what the D is doing and gives them something else to think about.  Also, BA plays very well from the shotgun so this would already have him in his comfort zone.

True, you can still throw it. Even to him after the fake. But, If I am gonna fake the sweep and throw it downfield, I want Hatcher to be my first read. Myself I have been begging for more HB passes likle the one Williams scored on. Stuff like we threw to DJ and Hillis. And how bout a wheel route while we are begging? Ronnie Wingo lived off of them!

hawginbigd1

I would just like to see us first start running the ball from Twins or 2 wides without bringing motion into the play. Or if we did use motion from the TE/H back to wham block from the backfield. We continue to run while bringing Hatcher in motion to play side absolutely tipping what we are doing. I think we would be unstoppable with JWill or AC running from a spread formation. Both are great at making the first guy miss if there is just a bit of space. Our schemes cause the 8, 9, and 10 man fronts we try to run against. It is one thing to line up and be physical, it is another to tell the opponent exactly what you are going to do.

thirrdegreetusker

Funny that, at the school that popularized the wildcat, we have had two coaches since that do not run it, despite having some pretty salty running backs. We don't need a DMac at QB to make it go, just BA standing there to hand (or fake) the jet sweep, then hand (or fake) to the dive back.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 27, 2014, 09:31:15 am
The OP makes a valid point.  Chaney has called the jet sweep a few times.  However, he doesn't really have the right guy to run it this year.  Rather than insult the poster, maybe you could have pointed this out.  Maybe KJ Hill will be a player SEC defenses have to respect on the edge the way they did Felix Jones. 

Wow. I just noticed this. You manufactured a negative quote for me. Why would you do that? All I posted was a quote of HF#1. You turned it into me saying "maybe you should coach." What a dorkhead thing to do. Can't even argue straight up?
[CENSORED]!

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 30, 2014, 12:10:38 pm
MS_HogFan is the best poster on this board.

I didn't know we could do this. Me likey
SOOIE

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 30, 2014, 12:10:38 pm
Wow. I just noticed this. You manufactured a negative quote for me. Why would you do that? All I posted was a quote of HF#1. You turned it into me saying "maybe you should coach." What a dorkhead thing to do. Can't even argue straight up?

Because that's exactly the message you delivered without making a comment of your own I could highlight.  Maybe you don't do that on a regular basis.  I'm just sick of the tyranny of the majority here who rail on anyone with an opinion that doesn't glorify the majority faves.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

tophawg19

the jet sweep might be perfect for Eric Hawkins with his speed
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins