Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For Those Who Say The Hogs Are Not Improved Greatly From 2012-3

Started by Nuttcracker, Sweet!, October 26, 2014, 10:02:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I haven't looked at the numbers from 2012, (is there REALLY any need to?), but the offensive and defensive numbers for the first 2/3rds of the 2014 season are in.

In 2013, the offense averaged 357 yards per game, and scored 248 points or 20.7 per game. The defense yielded 413 yards a game and 30.1 points.

In 2014, the offense is averaging 458 yards a game, up 101, and has scored 303, an average of 37.9. The defense is giving up an average of 357 yards per and 25.6 points.

The point production has nearly doubled from 20.7 to 37.9 even though we had one of our all time best kickers last season and have made only 3 field goals in 2014.

You won't hear any talk of "moral victories" from me, this would all mean a lot more if there was an SEC win or two by now.

However, anyone who cannot see vast improvement is blind, has not been paying attention, or has an agenda.

No one can guarantee a win Saturday or any Saturday when you're playing a Top 10 team on the road, let alone a #1. We can't control the quality of our opponents' programs, but at some point, this gauntlet of Top 10 teams seemingly every week has to end.

Often overlooked are the crossovers. Our Eastern division opponents are Georgia and Mizzou, while Ole Miss plays Vandy every year and Misstake gets them and Kentucky this season...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

HF#1

Only thing the naysayers are focused on is the conference losing streak.  The quality of opponents doesn't matter, the stats do not matter, the eye test doesn't matter.  Nothing matters to them except the 16 straight conference losses.

Some folks see things in black and white, nobody will ever change that.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hoggie17

I like what I see and there is improvement, but we won two SEC games in 2012.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:08:23 pm
Only thing the naysayers are focused on is the conference losing streak.  The quality of opponents doesn't matter, the stats do not matter, the eye test doesn't matter.  Nothing matters to them except the 16 straight conference losses.

It's not that the see things in Black and White. It is that they didn't want Bielema hired. Put a coach that they wanted in the same position and they would be far more forgiving.

razorback44

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2014, 10:14:21 pm

Against two teams that both went 0-8 in conference. Put Vandy and Tennesse on this years schedule and see if we don't win a game.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

HF#1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on October 26, 2014, 10:16:07 pm
  It's not that the see things in Black and White. It is that they didn't want Bielema hired. Put a coach that they wanted in the same position and they would be far more forgiving.

Also holds true. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hoggie17

Quote from: GlassofSwine on October 26, 2014, 10:16:07 pm
When Bielema starts winning, and he will, all will love him.  No real fans like losing.

WarPig88

When you see threads like this, you just flash back to the HDN days.

CBB seems to be a polarizing coach much like HDN whether he intends or deserves to be or not.

I think that is what I enjoyed most about the Petrino era. The fans were pretty much on the same page.

Razorbax

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:08:23 pm

Its not us, its the SEC and the NCAA. All bowl games, standings and top 25 is based upon what you decry as black and white. Let me know where we are ranked in the "most improved championship polls" and what bowl we get for improvement and not the prerequisite 6 wins.

bphi11ips

UAB is not as bad as we made them look in the first thirty minutes.  Brandon Allen is beginning to look like a redshirt junior.  Our defense is pretty good.  Arkansas is a dangerous team and getting better.  They just need to put a full game together.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

Quote from: Razorbax on October 26, 2014, 10:28:52 pm
Its not us, its the SEC and the NCAA. All bowl games, standings and top 25 is based upon what you decry as black and white. Let me know where we are ranked in the "most improved championship polls" and what bowl we get for improvement and not the prerequisite 6 wins.

See you can't stay on point...  It's about whether or not you see improvement despite our record.  Not if we will make a bowl game or not.

Dropkick

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:31:23 pm
See you can't stay on point...  It's about whether or not you see improvement despite our record.  Not if we will make a bowl game or not.
That's their strategy, deflect and confuse the issue.

clutch

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 10:26:42 pm

CBB seems to be a polarizing coach much like HDN whether he intends or deserves to be or not.

I think that is what I enjoyed most about the Petrino era. The fans were pretty much on the same page.

I think the only reason Bielema is a polarizing coach for us is because of the way the Petrino era ended. If Petrino leaves on his own accord, I think the fan base would be pretty much all behind bielema. It was the controversial ending to Petrino's career that has some lagging behind. It's over now though, everyone needs to at least give this staff a chance.

ghostzapper

This anti-Bielema stuff has to stop.  This team is better, and it will be better next year and  the year after that.  It will be a team that will compete with everybody in the Division and it will make you proud.  I'm sorry he didn't deliver an Auburn 2013 season for you guys who think you can dial that up on demand in the SEC.  But if youcan't see an upward trajectory with this team, you're either blind or ignorant. 

Razorbax

I
Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:31:23 pm

Gotcha.....Who wrote: "Some folks see things in black and white, nobody will ever change that" The crumbs you are crowing about has nothing to do with the end goals of a team. If the almighty, subjective "improvement" was worth a darn in the game of football, there would be a category/standing for it. There is a reason that the "improvements, almost wins and refs cheated us is strictly reserved for the fans of the losing team. If it floats your boat proclaiming we are  greatest improved team in the land, more power to you. I prefer the tangible win. I would rather be unimproved with enough wins to be bowl eligible than improved with zero conference wins.

ghostzapper

Quote from: Razorbax on October 26, 2014, 10:55:48 pm
I
Gotcha.....Who wrote: "Some folks see things in black and white, nobody will ever change that" The crumbs you are crowing about has nothing to do with the end goals of a team. If the almighty, subjective "improvement" was worth a darn in the game of football, there would be a category/standing for it. There is a reason that the "improvements, almost wins and refs cheated us is strictly reserved for the fans of the losing team. If it floats your boat proclaiming we are  greatest improved team in the land, more power to you. I prefer the tangible win. I would rather be unimproved with enough wins to be bowl eligible than improved with zero conference wins.

Great.  Go pull for Syracuse you jerk.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2014, 10:14:21 pm

True, but we're trending in the opposite direction in contrast to 2012.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: Razorbax on October 26, 2014, 10:55:48 pm
I

Getting better is a process. It sucks losing, but it is easier to handle when you realize better days are ahead. At this time last year we were losing games 52-0. There wasn't much hope and it was hard to find any positives. Completely turning a program around doesn't happen overnight no matter how bad you want it to. It's even harder when you are in the fiercest division in all of college football.

Nobody is happy with the losses. It's alright to be happy with seeing progress while still disappointed with losses at the same time.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 11:09:15 pm
True, but we're trending in the opposite direction in contrast to 2012.

No ULM travesty this year.  Not even close.  We totally dominated all OOC Teams.      This year's team would tear last year's team a new aashole.  Just because the rest of the conference is greatly improved doesn't mean we haven't.

I hate the loses we've had and the only consolation I take from this year, so far, is

TEXASS FREAKIN SUCKS!
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ghostzapper

We dominated Bama statistically.  We beat Georgia  statistically and but for two fumbles, and aTm but for a trip. We just beat the snot out of a team that stayed on the field with the number 1 team in the country.  Seriously, who had a right to expect we would be close in those games?  Only blithering idiots can't see we're improved.

WarPig88

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 11:32:37 pm
We dominated Bama statistically.  We beat Georgia  statistically and but for two fumbles, and aTm but for a trip. We just beat the snot out of a team that stayed on the field with the number 1 team in the country.  Seriously, who had a right to expect we would be close in those games?  Only blithering idiots can't see we're improved.

Georgia dominated us. I went to the game. It was a beat down.

They did to us what we did to UAB.

Razorbax

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 11:06:11 pm
Great.  Go pull for Syracuse you jerk.

Another one of those intelligent, insightful and fact driven responses. Tell Jeff Long you will gladly make up the difference in donation and tickets. BTW, why Syracuse?

ghostzapper

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 11:34:58 pm
Georgia dominated us. I went to the game. It was a beat down.

They did to us what we did to UAB.

I was there too.  First game in Little Rock I had been to since '93.  Take away the fumble return for a td and Collins' fumble and we're in the game.   Georgia didn't fold its defense in the second half, so the statistical accomplishments aren't meaningless. 

ghostzapper

Quote from: Razorbax on October 26, 2014, 11:37:17 pm
Another one of those intelligent, insightful and fact driven responses. Tell Jeff Long you will gladly make up the difference in donation and tickets. BTW, why Syracuse?

Because they'll be bowl eligible like you want and not remotely close to competing on any signifcant national platform.

WarPig88

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 11:40:53 pm
I was there too.  First game in Little Rock I had been to since '93.  Take away the fumble return for a td and Collins' fumble and we're in the game.   Georgia didn't fold its defense in the second half, so the statistical accomplishments aren't meaningless.

Ga was not engaged in the second half much like we weren't against UAB.

We got smacked down any way you look at it. It was an epic beat down disguised with MEANINGLESS second half stats.

ghostzapper

georgia didn't play their second team against us.  And UAB didn't make up yardage totals against us that we made up against Georgia.  First half against Georgia was an embarrassment, but it was largely an embarrassment of our own mistakes that we didn't make in the second half.  you want to believe that was a function of Georgia not caring, go right ahead.  but I've got other examples from other games this year that support the proposition we have played well against good teams.  Keep believing we suck all you want.

snoblind

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 10:26:42 pm

Only a fool would flash back to the HDN days or those that won't let the BP fiasco go and try to continually draw comparisons as a way to attack the current coach.  From the posts on boards and calls to talk shows it is pretty clear to any one paying attention.  What polarization is happening is due to those intentionally creating it because of a certain coach no longer here and isn't coming back or another coach who wasn't hired.

Nobody is happy with the conference losing streak.  But most folks see improvement, things being done the right way, recruiting commits happening despite the record, and know the wins will come. 

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 11:46:01 pm
Ga was not engaged in the second half much like we weren't against UAB.

We got smacked down any way you look at it. It was an epic beat down disguised with MEANINGLESS second half stats.

Bull. It fits your agenda so you grab it.

Any comparison to Nutt and this coach proves either ignorance, trolling, or agenda.

TRUE leaders recognize their weak points and surround themselves accordingly.

Megalomaniacs on the other hand, are in general, either so self-conscious that they surround themselves with more incompetence. Or so controlling and so over reaching their expertise that they simply refuse to hire one their equal, or find an equal willing to work for them. 

We have a true leader at the helm.

I will let you decipher our last two head coaches. (not counting JLS)
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2014, 10:23:02 pm
When Bielema starts winning, and he will, all will love him.  No real fans like losing.
Not one person has claimed to "Like losing."  However, some have the patience to understand this rebuild wont happen overnight.  It SUCKS not winning SEC games, but we can overlook the quick fix victory to get what we think will be the long-term success that CBB can bring the program.