Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oscar Taveras has been killed in a car accident in the Dominican Republic

Started by popcornhog, October 26, 2014, 08:04:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

WPS

HF#1

Life is short.  Never know when your number will be called.  he had so much talent.  His girlfriend was also killed.  Just heartbreaking.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dropkick

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Oklahawg

Sad news.

Puts the garbage most on here are beefing about in perspective.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawgey-Davidson

I just found this post. As a lifelong Cardinals fan, this just shook me to the core. What a promising future this young man had. Hardly got to enjoy him. Loss of life is terrible and always inevitable. Prayers to the familys of Oscar and his girlfriend and Cardinals nation.

AugustaHog

So very sad... 22 yrs old with an amazing future in front of him.  Prayers to their families.  Tough day for Cardinal Nation. 

mizzouman

Been following the Cards since forever. SAD day for all Cards fans yet can't imagine what his family is going through. Heard his girlfriend died as well.

john

Love my Cards almost as much as my Razorbacks. Hate this feeling . I got 4 & 6 yr old boys. Oldest loves Jon Jay. 4 yr old would often say when pitching whiffle balls to him " I'm Oscar". Sad

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

popcornhog

Quote from: john on October 26, 2014, 10:02:23 pm
Love my Cards almost as much as my Razorbacks. Hate this feeling . I got 4 & 6 yr old boys. Oldest loves Jon Jay. 4 yr old would often say when pitching whiffle balls to him " I'm Oscar". Sad

So sad. Just a kid and no doubt a future great.
WPS

Iwastherein1969

not a huge surprise considering the roadway system in the Dominican Republic....its as safe as a mating ball of water moccains....sad....only the good die young...RIP, O.T.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ghostzapper

Terrible.  Maybe the only mlb player who can say his last ab in playoffs was a homer.  If Cardinals had won NLCS.....

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 26, 2014, 10:43:58 pm
not a huge surprise considering the roadway system in the Dominican Republic....its as safe as a mating ball of water moccains....sad....only the good die young...RIP, O.T.

That's no joke. There is some crazy driving down there for sure. Sounds like he just lost control in this case though. Apparently on a highway between 2 beach towns and ran off the road in his camero. Sad, sad situation.

popcornhog

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 10:44:55 pm
Terrible.  Maybe the only mlb player who can say his last ab in playoffs was a homer.  If Cardinals had won NLCS.....

We were just talking about that. If Yadi and Waino had been healthy and the Cardinals had won the NLCS, Oscar would have most likely been in Saint Louis tonight and still alive.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 10:47:18 pm
We were just talking about that. If Yadi and Waino had been healthy and the Cardinals had won the NLCS, Oscar would have most likely been in Saint Louis tonight and still alive.

Had the same conversation with my friend earlier.

GolfNut57

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 10:47:18 pm

Impossible to know. When its your time to go you go. No matter where you're at.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ghostzapper

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 26, 2014, 10:51:03 pm
Impossible to know. When its your time to go you go. No matter where you're at.

We know he wouldn't have been killed in DR if they were in WS.

Hogarusa

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 10:44:55 pm

Would be great but i dont believe his last AB was a homer. Many people will have the same thought about if only the Cards could have won.  Sad story.  RIP
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ghostzapper

you are correct.  i am wrong.  He batted twice after his pinch hit homer in the NLCS.  My mistake.

hogcard1964

popcornhog

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/juan-perez-delivers-key-hit-after-learning-his-good-friend-oscar-taveras-died-074707879.html

Apparently Juan Perez was a good friend of his. It sounds like he broke down last night during game 5 of the World Series.

SAN FRANCISCO – Juan Perez didn't believe it, didn't believe his friend was dead, so he ran back to the San Francisco Giants clubhouse and swiped his phone on. He saw the text messages, at least 20, more coming in, all with the horrible news that Oscar Taveras, fellow ballplayer, fellow Dominican, was gone. Then he saw a text with the picture that confirmed it: Taveras at the morgue, on a table, blood everywhere, a horrible image Perez couldn't shake.

He started to cry. Giants closer Santiago Casilla told Perez to shut his phone off, to stop looking at the photo. And Joaquin Arias implored him: "Stay strong. Stay strong." The Giants might need him. And Gregor Blanco said: "I know it's not easy. Let's just try to do it."

WPS

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

010HogFan

Quote from: popcornhog on October 27, 2014, 07:54:11 am
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/juan-perez-delivers-key-hit-after-learning-his-good-friend-oscar-taveras-died-074707879.html

Apparently Juan Perez was a good friend of his. It sounds like he broke down last night during game 5 of the World Series.

SAN FRANCISCO – Juan Perez didn't believe it, didn't believe his friend was dead, so he ran back to the San Francisco Giants clubhouse and swiped his phone on. He saw the text messages, at least 20, more coming in, all with the horrible news that Oscar Taveras, fellow ballplayer, fellow Dominican, was gone. Then he saw a text with the picture that confirmed it: Taveras at the morgue, on a table, blood everywhere, a horrible image Perez couldn't shake.

He started to cry. Giants closer Santiago Casilla told Perez to shut his phone off, to stop looking at the photo. And Joaquin Arias implored him: "Stay strong. Stay strong." The Giants might need him. And Gregor Blanco said: "I know it's not easy. Let's just try to do it."

why in the world would someone send him that?

clutch

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 27, 2014, 09:36:39 am
why in the world would someone send him that?

I was about to ask that same question. That's pretty messed up.

jswineberiaskirk

skinnypig

The_Iceman

pigture perfect

I was driving from Ft. Smith to Benton last night, listening to the WS. I was so shocked the next thing I remember of the game was the 3 run rally of the giants in the 8th. Just hate it. I feel so bad for his family and that of his girlfriend.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

VictoryRedChevy

Another lifelong Cardinal fan.

This took my breath away.

Pretty much lost a family member.

code red

So sad.  Taveras pitched a ball to my daughter in between innings this year in the Summer home stand with the Brewers.  He was her favorite Cardinal after that.  She was in tears.  Prayers for his family and her family and Cardinals nation.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

Quote from: code red on October 27, 2014, 12:54:24 pm
So sad.  Taveras pitched a ball to my daughter in between innings this year in the Summer home stand with the Brewers.  He was her favorite Cardinal after that.  She was in tears.  Prayers for his family and her family and Cardinals nation.

That's awesome. I think she should get an Oscar Taveras jersey for Christmas. I know I'll be wearing mine to every game that I'm able to make at Busch stadium next year.
WPS

mizzouman

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 26, 2014, 10:53:56 pm
We know he wouldn't have been killed in DR if they were in WS.
Don't know.  Same thing could have happened AFTER the WS.  You just don't know.

pigture perfect

We can know 1 thing. It is appointed that man will die. Anything else is a matter of time and place. He could have died following the post game celebration of the NLCS. At least he died near his family and they have some memories from his last few days.

code red

Quote from: popcornhog on October 27, 2014, 01:18:48 pm
That's awesome. I think she should get an Oscar Taveras jersey for Christmas. I know I'll be wearing mine to every game that I'm able to make at Busch stadium next year.
Yep..good idea....Not to make this about sports or competition but...he had completely revamped his swing and was reaping these benefits in the NLCS.  Again not about the team and or sports at this point but....he was a up and comer and hard worker.  22 wow.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 27, 2014, 07:01:52 am
Sad

I'm a huge Cardinal fan.

Kile, Hancock and now Oscar.

RIP
Very sad news. I'm still in disbelief. Hate hearing when people with their whole lives ahead of them have a tragic accident like this. This is just one of those times you have to trust in God and know He has a greater purpose for everyone than we can even begin to imagine.

On a side note, was Matheny on the team when Kile and Hancock passed away. Just trying to remember. As hard of a situation this is, that should be helpful experience in helping the current team cope with this. I don't envy his position at all right now.

popcornhog

Quote from: code red on October 27, 2014, 02:42:39 pm
Yep..good idea....Not to make this about sports or competition but...he had completely revamped his swing and was reaping these benefits in the NLCS.  Again not about the team and or sports at this point but....he was a up and comer and hard worker.  22 wow.

Exactly. First and foremost it's about a young kid who tragically lost his life.

Although waaaaaay less important, the kid was going to be a very good baseball player.
WPS

hoglady

Sad news for baseball.
So young and his girlfriend was only 18.
Prayers for the families of both of them.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

popcornhog

"I was asked last night to give some words regarding the tragic death of Oscar Taveras, but I just simply couldn't.
"First of all, it felt like a bad dream that could not be real, and when reality kicked in, my words didn't even seem to make sense. To say this is a horrible loss of a life ended too soon would be an understatement. To talk about the potential of his abilities seemed to be untimely. All I wanted to do was get the guys together and be with our baseball family. I know the hurt that comes along with buying into the brotherhood of a baseball team. That hurt is just as powerful as the joys that come with this life. Not to say it is even close to the depth of pain his true family is going through, but the pain itself is just as real. The ache is deep because the relationships were deep, and forged through time and trials.
"To the many fans who have already reached out with condolences, and to the many more who are in mourning, thank you for taking these players in, like they are one of your own. This level of care is what sets our fans apart.
"In my opinion, the word 'love' is the most misused, and misunderstood word in the English language. It is not popular for men to use this word, and even less popular for athletes. But, there is not a more accurate word for how a group of men share a deep and genuine concern for each other. We loved Oscar, and he loved us. That is what a team does, that is what a family does. You will be missed, Oscar."

Mike Matheny
WPS

N HOG

Quote from: popcornhog on October 27, 2014, 05:07:34 pm
"I was asked last night to give some words regarding the tragic death of Oscar Taveras, but I just simply couldn't.
"First of all, it felt like a bad dream that could not be real, and when reality kicked in, my words didn't even seem to make sense. To say this is a horrible loss of a life ended too soon would be an understatement. To talk about the potential of his abilities seemed to be untimely. All I wanted to do was get the guys together and be with our baseball family. I know the hurt that comes along with buying into the brotherhood of a baseball team. That hurt is just as powerful as the joys that come with this life. Not to say it is even close to the depth of pain his true family is going through, but the pain itself is just as real. The ache is deep because the relationships were deep, and forged through time and trials.
"To the many fans who have already reached out with condolences, and to the many more who are in mourning, thank you for taking these players in, like they are one of your own. This level of care is what sets our fans apart.
"In my opinion, the word 'love' is the most misused, and misunderstood word in the English language. It is not popular for men to use this word, and even less popular for athletes. But, there is not a more accurate word for how a group of men share a deep and genuine concern for each other. We loved Oscar, and he loved us. That is what a team does, that is what a family does. You will be missed, Oscar."

Mike Matheny

Those are powerful and eloquent words.

Mike Matheny is a great leader and impressive human being.