Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Box Score Breakdown - UAB game

Started by Fayettechill14, October 26, 2014, 07:17:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/10/26/7073175/arkansas-vs-uab-box-score-breakdown-in-focus

Offense was pretty much perfectly balanced: 56% success rate rushing, 56% success rate passing in the first half.

root_hawg

We need Collins to get out of his sophomore funk and get it back rolling

WarPig88

Did I miss the part where anyone thought that the UAB game would be the true measure of this season?

They were way overmatched except in ST's and they dominated that aspect of the game.

Stats from a game like this are meaningless. Merely fluff or fodder for arguments.

bphi11ips

October 26, 2014, 08:29:10 pm #3 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:40:24 pm by bphi11ips
How was the havoc rate?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 08:00:18 pm
Did I miss the part where anyone thought that the UAB game would be the true measure of this season?

They were way overmatched except in ST's and they dominated that aspect of the game.

Stats from a game like this are meaningless. Merely fluff or fodder for arguments.

Look dude, you need to get with the program. Bret Bielema said this when he was hired, said it all last year, said it this offseason, and is saying again this year. Our style of play is UGLY. Really ugly football. When done right it's brutally effective, but boy is it UGLY. This has the effect of making most victories give the impression of a flat-out embarrassment. Based on the reactions of fans and media of the other teams, Arkansas has now made SIX of its 8 opponents question their teams after the game. All four wins and two of the losses (Texas A&M, Alabama) made fans wonder why their team looked so bad. Nick Saban was even asked what had gone wrong with his program after an SEC road win. If you're going to come back after every game Bielema wins here and complain that the other team sucked, get ready to complain a bunch, because we're going to embarrass some good teams.

No, UAB was not very good. They are middle of the pack in the C-USA. Will probably make a bowl at 6-6. But no one's claiming they were a measuring stick. Did you not read the conclusion? Basically I said that the biggest takeaway was that the defense got some rest from injuries to Ellis and Toliver. And if you've missed the bus, I write a box score breakdown for EVERY game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 27, 2014, 12:23:37 am
Look dude, you need to get with the program. Bret Bielema said this when he was hired, said it all last year, said it this offseason, and is saying again this year. Our style of play is UGLY. Really ugly football. When done right it's brutally effective, but boy is it UGLY. This has the effect of making most victories give the impression of a flat-out embarrassment. Based on the reactions of fans and media of the other teams, Arkansas has now made SIX of its 8 opponents question their teams after the game. All four wins and two of the losses (Texas A&M, Alabama) made fans wonder why their team looked so bad. Nick Saban was even asked what had gone wrong with his program after an SEC road win. If you're going to come back after every game Bielema wins here and complain that the other team sucked, get ready to complain a bunch, because we're going to embarrass some good teams.

No, UAB was not very good. They are middle of the pack in the C-USA. Will probably make a bowl at 6-6. But no one's claiming they were a measuring stick. Did you not read the conclusion? Basically I said that the biggest takeaway was that the defense got some rest from injuries to Ellis and Toliver. And if you've missed the bus, I write a box score breakdown for EVERY game.

Ever wonder what happens when you give a [CENSORED] a keyboard?  See Warpig... Prime example.  He was possibly one of the ones touting this past week we may not best them. 

Fayettechill14

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2014, 12:30:14 am
Ever wonder what happens when you give a [CENSORED] a keyboard?  See Warpig... Prime example.  He was possibly one of the ones touting this past week we may not best them.

Yeah he's one of the ones that drives me nuts. His point here (about the measure of the season) is valid, but completely unnecessary. No one claimed this game was the measure of the season. Arkansas dominated as expected and got to rest some key contributors. Hopefully they also got refocused for a difficult stretch run.

DeltaBoy

Solid win for the Hogs and hope Brooks is back at LB this Saturday.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Huckleberry Pig

Fayettechill, I was at the game and after reading your article last week about running more passing plays out of the shotgun (where BA is very good) as opposed to running them from under center (where BA is very bad) I made it a point to keep track of it.

Seems we did run some out of the shotgun, and they all worked pretty well.  The pass plays from under center were for the most part not successful.  Definitely think we need to run pass plays from the shotgun even more.  Would have liked to see it more on 2nd down like you mentioned last week as it could actually lead to more run plays.  I also thought it would be a good idea to have a man in motion for the jet sweep just to add a wrinkle and keep the defense honest.  just so they don't know that it is for sure going to be a pass.

What'd you think?

DeltaBoy

I agree BA is tons better out of the Shotgun.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 27, 2014, 12:30:14 am

warpig = traffic driver
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on October 27, 2014, 11:24:15 am
Fayettechill, I was at the game and after reading your article last week about running more passing plays out of the shotgun (where BA is very good) as opposed to running them from under center (where BA is very bad) I made it a point to keep track of it.

Seems we did run some out of the shotgun, and they all worked pretty well.  The pass plays from under center were for the most part not successful.  Definitely think we need to run pass plays from the shotgun even more.  Would have liked to see it more on 2nd down like you mentioned last week as it could actually lead to more run plays.  I also thought it would be a good idea to have a man in motion for the jet sweep just to add a wrinkle and keep the defense honest.  just so they don't know that it is for sure going to be a pass.

What'd you think?

I agree. I'd love to see some jet sweep from shotgun. And I was happy we made more of an effort to run from shotgun.

I posted the numbers in the article, but here they are in case anyone missed them:

Under Center: 7 of 10 for 107 yards, 1 sack
Shotgun: 6 of 7 for 65 yards, TD

That's first half only, since it looked like we kind of dinked around with the second half playcalling, trying to get certain guys and routes involved rather than run what was working.

So yeah, both the eye test and the stats back Allen as being better from shotgun.

DeltaBoy

Thanks for doing all that work Chill!