Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Take on Things from Iowa

Started by WilsonHog, October 26, 2014, 04:51:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

http://iowa.scout.com/story/1472062-howe-condemning-coach-also-indicts-players?s=8&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=University%20of%20Iowa&utm_content=Iowa's%20fans%20are%20not%20pleased%20with%20Ferentz%20&utm_campaign=NCAAFB%20Marketing

Peter Porker

Good stuff. Something all fanbases should read.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pulled(PP)pork

it will be lost on quite a few on hogville

PP

bphi11ips

Players and coaches are their own worst critics and can handle being second guessed after a loss.  Isn't that why they call this MMQB?

I agree it's completely infuriating to read posts running down the program, players and coaches and calling for heads.  On the other hand, opinions offered in a respectful way is the only reason to spend time here. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rzrbackrob

If I read the article correctly, the author believes that voicing your opinion on a message board about the head coach is wrong because it is a "condemnation of everyone involved (i.e. players)."

So he suggest that if a fan is upset with the performance of the coach, "don't buy tickets, merchandise, sponsors' products or anything else that supports the coach." 

I guess that players would rather no one be at the game cheering, than to read some random person's frustration with an underperforming coach.
Good is the enemy of great

scruf

Here's my favorite part about how players view their coach getting bashed:

"Just don't try to compartmentalize your dissatisfaction. The players can't see the difference."

Although, admittedly, this will sail right over many of HV's finest posters' heads like a field goal through the uprights.

SquidBilly

I agree with the premise of the article however I'd say this to the players:  do something about it.  If you want the fans to support the coach then give them reason to.  Because in rare instances is it ever really the coach that is to blame rather the players not playing up to standards it takes to win.  However in Iowa's case those fans are crazy.  The loss to Northwestern was bad but Ferentz is the best coach they are going to get.  I tell Georgia fans down here all the time when they complain about Richt, who do they think they can get who would be better.  No one.

WarPig88

I find it funny that those who railed against HDN, only now are concerned about how criticisms of a staff affect players.

I guess coaches are paid multi-millions and should be in place for the duration of their lives, representing programs in a vocation where public support is crucial, but are also too important to endure criticism from that same public?

I would say if you are really worried about players' thoughts and feelings, about all you can really do is show up to games and fill up arenas and stadiums even though your coach....er I mean team, are losing.

As long as that happens, their won't be as much criticism or any change for that matter.

Winning takes care of everything. Mediocrity is worse than losing though, because it creates divides amongst the most important entity of any program........it's fans.

Players and coaches exist only because there are people willing to support them. A coach who allows his players to have a negative attitude towards any part of his own fan base, is not doing that kid or the program at large any favors.

I see it as a lack of leadership on the part of the coach myself. Could also explain the mediocre results that the Iowa staff has given Hawkeye fans for a quite some time now.

Fear mediocrity people. It's worse than losing.

No one defends constant losing, but there are plenty of cowards who will fight to maintain mediocrity. It's low risk, low reward behavior.

Athog

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 26, 2014, 07:23:41 pm
I find it funny that those who railed against HDN, only now are concerned about how criticisms of a staff affect players.

I guess coaches are paid multi-millions and should be in place for the duration of their lives, representing programs in a vocation where public support is crucial, but are also too important to endure criticism from that same public?

I would say if you are really worried about players' thoughts and feelings, about all you can really do is show up to games and fill up arenas and stadiums even though your coach....er I mean team, are losing.

As long as that happens, their won't be as much criticism or any change for that matter.

Winning takes care of everything. Mediocrity is worse than losing though, because it creates divides amongst the most important entity of any program........it's fans.

Players and coaches exist only because there are people willing to support them. A coach who allows his players to have a negative attitude towards any part of his own fan base, is not doing that kid or the program at large any favors.

I see it as a lack of leadership on the part of the coach myself. Could also explain the mediocre results that the Iowa staff has given Hawkeye fans for a quite some time now.

Fear mediocrity people. It's worse than losing.

No one defends constant losing, but there are plenty of cowards who will fight to maintain mediocrity. It's low risk, low reward behavior.

Says nothing! Sounds great though altruistic though!