Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry Murphy

Started by GuvHog, October 26, 2014, 09:19:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkys Revenge

Jeremiah Harper used to lay some serious wood. He was prob 160lbs soaking wet.

Lights Out

Quote from: theenemy on October 28, 2014, 12:31:01 am
Fact is you hardly ever going to see a guy that weighs less than 170 lbs get an offer to an SEC school, especially on defense.

There is only so much muscle you can add per year.

I watched Murphy run against Stewart from Highland last year at State track meet in 100m/200m...it wasn't even close, Murphy dominated the entire field...he was out there running by himself by at least 10 to 15 meters ahead of everyone in the 100 and 200. Murphy and Stewart were about the same height and size...Murphy was bigger upper body wise.  Murphy is an legitimate SEC.
talent. He probably the best comer in the state and could be one of the top receivers but Dollarway is run offense.

secneahog

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 26, 2014, 05:33:33 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhiC7gM62M

Oh look, this says he runs a sub 4.4.  I don't look at times at camp. I know my  crap and I'm not from PB, and I'm telling you on a football field he moved like a 4.3 guy.  He plays at dollarway where he can't do much offensively, but he is a great defender.  There are a futile highlights where you can see the speed. Just irritates me when people get on here and jaw that hadn't even seen the guy.  If he has it up stairs, he would start at corner for 2 or 3 years.

I'm just saying....this video shows him pass blocking 80% of the time. I like pass blocking by wrs but hit doesn't really show a lot.

Watch Deon Stewart's video...just saying.  No knock on Henry.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Lights Out on October 28, 2014, 11:18:38 am
I watched Murphy run against Stewart from Highland last year at State track meet in 100m/200m...it wasn't even close, Murphy dominated the entire field...he was out there running by himself by at least 10 to 15 meters ahead of everyone in the 100 and 200. Murphy and Stewart were about the same height and size...Murphy was bigger upper body wise.  Murphy is an legitimate SEC.
talent. He probably the best comer in the state and could be one of the top receivers but Dollarway is run offense.

"Good" isn't so easily put down to a timed sprint, or a weight/height measurement.

Two of the best WR's ever are Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald, and neither would look like much strictly looking at their measurables.

It seems like this is the single most difficult concept for most fans who frequent the Recruiting Forum.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

greenie

Doesn't appear that ANYONE is recruiting him.  No doubt, he's a fast athlete.

I can only think of a few reasons that this would be true (shown in order of likelihood...my opinion):
1 - He hasn't shown the skills needed to play college football
2 - He doesn't have the grades
3 - There are other personal issues
4 - He doesn't want to be recruited
5 - He's being secretly recruited

BTW, 247 has him listed as 5'11" 180lbs.

http://247sports.com/Player/Henri-Murphy-70725

hogfan2000

thank you for your post.  I was crucified for most of the day for my comments about Murphy.  He doesn't loose any speed when he puts the pads on either.  It's good to hear that someone else who has actually seen him  echo what I said.  He would start on special teams immediately for the Razorbacks, and be a multi year starter at corner.  He's that good of a player guys.  He will add weight fine.  I feel like that there is more to this story than we know, but when a new poster said he is qualified yesterday, it just blows my mind on why he doesnt at a minimum have a list if offers from everyone else inside the state.

showme

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on October 28, 2014, 09:27:02 am
Jeremiah Harper used to lay some serious wood. He was prob 160lbs soaking wet.
Times change my friend.

showme

I watched Murphy run against Stewart from Highland last year at State track meet in 100m/200m...it wasn't even close, Murphy dominated the entire field...he was out there running by himself by at least 10 to 15 meters ahead of everyone in the 100 and 200.
So Henri's time in the 100m is around 10.8. Roughly, that is 10m per second. If he was 10-15m in front of everyone, that would mean that the other competitors could only run 12 second+ times in the 100m. I'm sorry I don't believe that. Do you have a link to the results ?

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 28, 2014, 02:14:13 pm
thank you for your post.  I was crucified for most of the day for my comments about Murphy.  He doesn't loose any speed when he puts the pads on either.  It's good to hear that someone else who has actually seen him  echo what I said.  He would start on special teams immediately for the Razorbacks, and be a multi year starter at corner.  He's that good of a player guys.  He will add weight fine.  I feel like that there is more to this story than we know, but when a new poster said he is qualified yesterday, it just blows my mind on why he doesnt at a minimum have a list if offers from everyone else inside the state.

Obvious there's more than meets the eye, but every college coach knows something. Lots of times, the smaller in-state schools won't make an offer now, but will "pick up" the pieces in late Jan.

hogfan2000

Quote from: showme on October 28, 2014, 03:04:31 pm
Times change my friend.
you are killing me friend.  Of course there is always a bit of hyperbole involved in a deal like this, but the posters point is that he was much faster than a current Arkansas commit.  And let me add, track is very much a sport where technique is important to run world class times.  I think it is safe to say that a guy like Murphy prolly just walked out on a track with very little to know coaching and put down a 10.8 100 m. Its pretty darn impressive. Just believe my friend.  He is as good a athlete as there is in the state who can flat out play football on defense.  Light or not, the guy is a player. Meant to respond to your other message. Fyi

IronMountainHog

This is like AdriAnn and Neal Burcham revisited.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: greenie on October 28, 2014, 12:26:24 pm

Ranked the #34 player in the state.....But I wonder if any of those 247 scouts ever watched Basil Shabazz play in person?

Lights Out

Quote from: showme on October 28, 2014, 03:10:42 pm
So Henri's time in the 100m is around 10.8. Roughly, that is 10m per second. If he was 10-15m in front of everyone, that would mean that the other competitors could only run 12 second+ times in the 100m. I'm sorry I don't believe that. Do you have a link to the results ?
http://www.ahsaa.org/page/167/state-track-meets-results?type=sport
Class 4A

ricepig

Quote from: theenemy on October 28, 2014, 06:00:50 pm
Ranked the #34 player in the state.....But I wonder if any of those 247 scouts ever watched Basil Shabazz play in person?

So, the only ones capable of rating a player are those that watched Shabazz? Are you saying he's better than Shabazz?

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2014, 06:24:59 pm
So, the only ones capable of rating a player are those that watched Shabazz?

Exactly.....Football speed is measured by the Shabazz scale.

ricepig

Quote from: theenemy on October 28, 2014, 06:28:05 pm
Exactly.....Football speed is measured by the Shabazz scale.

Well, since none of these kids were born when he was playing, that's impossible to compare.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2014, 06:38:38 pm
Well, since none of these kids were born when he was playing, that's impossible to compare.

Its a scale used by the top scouts....If you never watched Shabazz in person you wouldn't understand.

ricepig

Quote from: theenemy on October 28, 2014, 06:50:55 pm
Its a scale used by the top scouts....If you never watched Shabazz in person you wouldn't understand.

Name the top scouts who work today that saw Shabazz in person.....

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2014, 06:56:18 pm
Name the top scouts who work today that saw Shabazz in person.....

Hogfan2000

LSPRazorbac

Ricepig,

I was just poking fun at hogfan2000 for bragging about:

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 27, 2014, 08:11:17 am
Showme, I've seen every great plater from this state play football the last 25 years. I've played on the field against a few of them.
I've pretty much attended every razorback game since 1990. I've seen Basil Shabazz play in person, I've seen Bruiser Pryor play high school football.  Carl Kidd, Dmac, Jaruus Wright, Orlando Green, Madre Hill, Bobby jet. These are all guys that could fly.  I've seen em all play when they were pups.  I'm very well aware of what speed and greatness look like. I'm guessing you didn't see any of those guys play in high school, and you probably don't even know who a couple are.   

ricepig

Quote from: theenemy on October 28, 2014, 07:05:21 pm
Ricepig,

I was just poking fun at hogfan2000 for bragging about:

Gotcha

hogfan2000

Ha.  Listen when you have seen the best of the best play high school football from within this state, it does provide prospective.  Carl Kidd could go too.  Madre was at a different level as well. The first highlight I ever saw of Dmac I knew he was special and I had to go watch him. Having seen guys like that does allow you to decipher the Cedric Logan and Harold Harris's of the world from Jarius Wright and Dennis Johnson's.

Nipsey Mussle

So the no. 25 recruit in the state of Arkansas doesn't have a Hog offer. Huge story!

showme

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 28, 2014, 03:49:34 pm
you are killing me friend.  Of course there is always a bit of hyperbole involved in a deal like this,
But WHY ? Why does there ALWAYS have to be exaggeration ? See, it makes people completely tune out of these conversations. When you and these other guys come on here with these exaggerated stories, you are making people immediately disregard you and your stories. If ya'll would try a different approach, I don't know........... maybe one where you just tell it like it is without exaggerating ................... you might have better luck in getting people to pay attention.

The kid ran an 11.11 100m in the finals. I'm sorry, but at 160 lbs, that just isn't fast enough for an SEC player. If you are that small, you better run a sub 10.5 if you want some attention. That's just the way it is. Smaller colleges should give him a look though and if he can put the weight on and not lose speed, he has a chance to really be something. Good luck to him.

southeasthog

Boys 100 Meter Dash
Name School Prelims
Preliminaries
1 BLY, ETHAN HEBER SPRING 11.06Q0.7
2 MURPHY, HENRY PB DOLLARWAY 11.11Q+0.0
3 WILSON, R.J. HAMBURG 11.11Q1.3
4 STANLEY, DESNOND HAMBURG 11.17Q+0.0
5 SMITH, JAMES PB DOLLARWAY 11.21Q0.7
6 GUILLORY, PARRISH ASHDOWN 11.42Q1.3
7 PARISH, KEVIN GENTRY 11.31q 0.7
8 SMITH, DERRANCE MONTICELLO 11.43q +0.0
9 STEWART, DEON HIGHLAND 11.46 +0.0
10 GAINES, JA-KAREE NASHVILLE 11.47 +0.0
11 JOHNSON, AVERY HIGHLAND 11.48 0.7
12 MARTIN, KEVARIS LAKESIDE, LV 11.50 1.3

Boys 100 Meter Dash
Name School Finals
Finals
1 BLY, ETHAN HEBER SPRING 11.35 10
2 MURPHY, HENRY PB DOLLARWAY 11.48 8
3 WILSON, R.J. HAMBURG 11.51 6
4 SMITH, JAMES PB DOLLARWAY 11.51 5
5 STANLEY, DESNOND HAMBURG 11.69 4
6 GUILLORY, PARRISH ASHDOWN 11.70 3
7 PARISH, KEVIN GENTRY 11.76 2
8 SMITH, DERRANCE MONTICELLO 12.13 1

azhog10

Quote from: showme on October 28, 2014, 03:10:42 pm
The only problem with this line of thinking is that you start as fast as you end. Everyone knows your first 10m will be your slowest. So your statement is very incorrect.

azhog10

Quote from: southeasthog on October 29, 2014, 06:15:17 am
Boys 100 Meter Dash
Name School Prelims
Preliminaries
1 BLY, ETHAN HEBER SPRING 11.06Q0.7
2 MURPHY, HENRY PB DOLLARWAY 11.11Q+0.0
3 WILSON, R.J. HAMBURG 11.11Q1.3
4 STANLEY, DESNOND HAMBURG 11.17Q+0.0
5 SMITH, JAMES PB DOLLARWAY 11.21Q0.7
6 GUILLORY, PARRISH ASHDOWN 11.42Q1.3
7 PARISH, KEVIN GENTRY 11.31q 0.7
8 SMITH, DERRANCE MONTICELLO 11.43q +0.0
9 STEWART, DEON HIGHLAND 11.46 +0.0
10 GAINES, JA-KAREE NASHVILLE 11.47 +0.0
11 JOHNSON, AVERY HIGHLAND 11.48 0.7
12 MARTIN, KEVARIS LAKESIDE, LV 11.50 1.3

Boys 100 Meter Dash
Name School Finals
Finals
1 BLY, ETHAN HEBER SPRING 11.35 10
2 MURPHY, HENRY PB DOLLARWAY 11.48 8
3 WILSON, R.J. HAMBURG 11.51 6
4 SMITH, JAMES PB DOLLARWAY 11.51 5
5 STANLEY, DESNOND HAMBURG 11.69 4
6 GUILLORY, PARRISH ASHDOWN 11.70 3
7 PARISH, KEVIN GENTRY 11.76 2
8 SMITH, DERRANCE MONTICELLO 12.13 1
Not sure where you got this one but in the state finals Murphy won with an 11.01.........

southeasthog

From Lights out link above.

hogfan2000

Quote from: showme on October 28, 2014, 10:45:37 pm
But WHY ? Why does there ALWAYS have to be exaggeration ? See, it makes people completely tune out of these conversations. When you and these other guys come on here with these exaggerated stories, you are making people immediately disregard you and your stories. If ya'll would try a different approach, I don't know........... maybe one where you just tell it like it is without exaggerating ................... you might have better luck in getting people to pay attention.

The kid ran an 11.11 100m in the finals. I'm sorry, but at 160 lbs, that just isn't fast enough for an SEC player. If you are that small, you better run a sub 10.5 if you want some attention. That's just the way it is. Smaller colleges should give him a look though and if he can put the weight on and not lose speed, he has a chance to really be something. Good luck to him.
first of all, I haven't exaggerated any.  I was referring to your response to the guy that was saying Murphy beat everyone by 10 yards including Stewart.  Murphy is the fastest football player in the state on the football field, and can cover, support the run, and plays with an edge.  His speed is different, and he will play big time football somewhere if he is qualified.  I'm right.  You are wrong.  Until you go watch him play in person, you should just relax.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 07:34:06 am
first of all, I haven't exaggerated any.  I was referring to your response to the guy that was saying Murphy beat everyone by 10 yards including Stewart.  Murphy is the fastest football player in the state on the football field, and can cover, support the run, and plays with an edge.  His speed is different, and he will play big time football somewhere if he is qualified.  I'm right.  You are wrong.  Until you go watch him play in person, you should just relax.

That's an opinion, not a fact.  He may be fast, but it looks like he's already qualified and has no offers.  So don't count your chickens just yet.

Piggfoot

This thread reminds me of one about Marshall when he was  in HS. He had many fans and a few that said he had reliability issues. Bielema took a chance on him. He started out running for the Heisman...time will tell how he turns out.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 07:34:06 am

You've seen ever player in the state?

Peter Porker

Those times listed weren't from last season.

Murphy had the 13th fastest 100m time last season.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogfan2000

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 08:48:15 am
You've seen ever player in the state?
no...I haven't seen every kid in the state, but I am comparing him to guys like Jarius Wright and other dynamic athletes that have come before him from this state, and considering those guys from within this state are unicorns, it's not a stretch to make that determination.  Considering he was second in the meet of champs in the 100 meters last year alone supports my view, but once again, on the football field his speed is dynamic. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: greenie on October 28, 2014, 12:26:24 pm
Doesn't appear that ANYONE is recruiting him.  No doubt, he's a fast athlete.

I can only think of a few reasons that this would be true (shown in order of likelihood...my opinion):
1 - He hasn't shown the skills needed to play college football
2 - He doesn't have the grades
3 - There are other personal issues
4 - He doesn't want to be recruited
5 - He's being secretly recruited

See, there's another 20 lbs.  keep it up folks he'll be 220 before we know it.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 09:04:13 am
no...I haven't seen every kid in the state, but I am comparing him to guys like Jarius Wright and other dynamic athletes that have come before him from this state, and considering those guys from within this state are unicorns, it's not a stretch to make that determination.  Considering he was second in the meet of champs in the 100 meters last year alone supports my view, but once again, on the football field his speed is dynamic. 

Here's the deal: you are comparing him to kids he's playing against, in a semi-small school classification, and don't have the benefit of seeing what Florida players in this class look like, you don't have the experience of seeing high school kids develop into D1 players, etc.

In other words, though your observations may be accurate to a large degree, you're not a proven evaluator of high school talent, and therefore your observations should be taken somewhat with a grain of salt.

But there are coaches out there who have seen this kid play, probably in person, but certainly on tape, and perhaps have even talked one on one with the kid, and, at this point, they are passing on Mr. Murphy.

The thing that really puzzles me is if this kid is all that and a bag of chips, even at his smaller size, one would think our staff would be pursuing him to be a walk-on, and it seems that's not even happening.  Very strange.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

greenie

There's evidence of plenty of exaggeration in this thread.

The kid is very fast.  He's just not as fast as the 7A kids according to the 2014 results at the state track meets.  Granted...the difference could be weather conditions at the different meets.

Quick calculation:
Assume top end speed for Murphy is approximately 12.4 m/s (same as Usain Bolt), then he beat James Smith by   12.4 * (11.39 - 11.01) = 4.7 meters.  This is a comfortable win, but it's not 10-15 meters as claimed in this thread.

4A Finals - 2014
1 MURPHY, HENRI PB DOLLARWAY 11.01
2 SMITH, JAMES PB DOLLARWAY 11.39 
3 WILSON, RJ HAMBURG  11.45
4 JEWELL, ZACH MENA 11.47 
5 STEWART, DEON HIGHLAND 11.52
6 LIDDELL, JOSHUA PB DOLLARWAY 11.53 
7 KERSHNER, CHRIS DARDANELLE 11.55
8 WILLIAMS, KESHAWN PB DOLLARWAY 11.55 

7A Finals - 2014
1 James, Tre LR Central 10.74
2 Louden, Anthony North Little 10.74
3 Burke, Jordan Cabot 10.85
4 saucier, joey Heritage 10.87
5 Thomas, Keondre FS Northside 10.87
6 Alexander, Kavin North Little 10.89
7 Payton, Keson Bentonville 10.99
8 Workman, Brandon Rogers 11.12

hogfan2000

Looks like he outran the 7a winner in the meet if champs.  I really don't care anyway because I have seen him on the football field. 

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 09:24:39 am
Looks like he outran the 7a winner in the meet if champs.  I really don't care anyway because I have seen him on the football field. 

So, one meet/play defines one career/high water mark, gotcha. It's obvious he's fast, and it's very obvious he has no offers, or ones he's told about.

Swinesong1

I don't have a dog in this fight but I find it interesting that people are going in on Murphy.  More specifically saying he should be faster considering his weight but a Hog commit (Stewart) weighs approximately the same and is markedly slower.

greenie

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 09:24:39 am

I admire your passion for this kid and I hope he proves all the doubters wrong...including me.  No disrespect intended to you or Henri Murphy.

hogfan2000

Also, addressing the above poster insinuating that the kid just isn't as fast as the 7A kids, outside of Damian Williams and Peyton Hillis, who are are the other great skilled players that have come out of 7a the last 10 or 15 years?

ricepig

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 29, 2014, 09:34:04 am
I don't have a dog in this fight but I find it interesting that people are going in on Murphy.  More specifically saying he should be faster considering his weight but a Hog commit (Stewart) weighs approximately the same and is markedly slower.

He was that day! I suspect there was something they loved about Stewart to offer early, maybe he's more elusive, I don't know.

hogfan2000

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 09:32:34 am
So, one meet/play defines one career/high water mark, gotcha. It's obvious he's fast, and it's very obvious he has no offers, or ones he's told about.
I wouldn't say one meet defined anyone, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Henri Murphy's prolly just shows up at meets and wins on god given talent.  I don't think dollarway even had a track, so I wouldn't think that they have a top notch track program that enhances his technique and conditioning to allow him to be the best he could be.

hogfan2000

Here is the bottom line guys.  I saw him play, and his exceptional speed isn't just why I have been arguing for some 3 or 4 days now.  He can flat out cover, and play football too.  He is the type athlete you want on your football team.  Yes, he is a little light, but I'd rather have someone a little light that possess would class agility and speed, than someone that is marginally athletic that has measurables. Just looking at his body type, he looks like a guy that could add weight effectively, and not be effected adversely.  You will hear more about him in 2 weeks after the Warren Game.  I'm sure of it.

greenie

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 09:36:30 am
Also, addressing the above poster insinuating that the kid just isn't as fast as the 7A kids, outside of Damian Williams and Peyton Hillis, who are are the other great skilled players that have come out of 7a the last 10 or 15 years?

Whoa, dude...I wasn't insinuating anything.  I just posted the results from the state track meets.  We all know that you have to take these with a grain of salt as well because that were at different times and at different places.  Interpret them how you want, but these are facts.  My point was that there have been several posts in this thread that smell like exaggeration.  That's all.

As to your point about 7A, I don't know.  You seem to be a knowledgeable guy when it comes to Arkansas HS football.  Have there been more great skilled players in 4A vs 7A or 6A or 5A?  And I'm not sure why this is relevant in this discussion.

I'm going to step back now and let the experts argue this.  Good luck to Henri Murphy.

hogfan2000

My apologies.  I felt like you were insinuating he was just a good 4a athlete,.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan2000 on October 29, 2014, 09:51:01 am
Here is the bottom line guys.  I saw him play, and his exceptional speed isn't just why I have been arguing for some 3 or 4 days now.  He can flat out cover, and play football too.  He is the type athlete you want on your football team.  Yes, he is a little light, but I'd rather have someone a little light that possess would class agility and speed, than someone that is marginally athletic that has measurables. Just looking at his body type, he looks like a guy that could add weight effectively, and not be effected adversely.  You will hear more about him in 2 weeks after the Warren Game.  I'm sure of it.

Ok, last word, until you post again, haha, if he's on anyone's radar, it's a real small blip. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to get his college paid for playing football somewhere, that's way more important.