Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what is it going to take to fix our special teams play ?

Started by tophawg19, October 26, 2014, 08:26:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

This is really our only weakness and both the loss to bama and the Ags can be directly linked to them . Against UAB  they were responsible for every score and forced us to play a long field again. We are awful , i don't know if there is a ranking system but we have to be in the bottom 10 in the nation. No return game , poor coverage , punters not kicking well lately and the FG team is iffy although Fain looked ok .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hook 'em Hogs

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it.  Hill needs to just punt the ball.  When he just punted it, it was a 53 yarder.  Our coverage needs to be about lanes and discipline.  Bielema mentioned that we had some reserves in on some of the coverages and they went around blocks rather than staying in their lanes. 

Don't hear me saying "You're crazy!  Our Special Teams are great!"  I'm not saying that.  The big thing though was the coverage.  That is a mixture of subs and losing focus.  The kicking game?  Hopefully Fain is the answer to field goals, and we need to bring in a kicker next year that can kick the ball out of the back of the endzone.  Most of what I see as issues with Special Teams is teaching.  We were doing it, not we've stopped.  Time to revisit some of the fundamentals.

fanofthehog

Coverage doesn't explain why we drop the ball so much.

Hook 'em Hogs

Quote from: fanofthehog on October 26, 2014, 09:27:50 am
Coverage doesn't explain why we drop the ball so much.

That's true.  Those guys just can't be idiots back there.

Hoggish1

Attempt to go after the punted ball that bounced backwards amidst two of their defenders was absurd.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Ex-Trumpet

Kickoffs need to go through the back of the endzone...punts just need to be kicked out of bounds.  No returns!!

Now, the receiving end...need more gray matter.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

thirtythree

the biggest problem with our special teams is lack of focus and discipline. Anybody could play special teams, or they would be playing stars on them.

Lane discipline, not catching a ball going backwards on the 5 yard line or dropped snaps on XP's. It is all about focus and discipline.

tophawg19

to me it all comes back to coaching issues . you never go behind the 10 on a punt  return . we rarely return one . i hate to see a team punt to us because it's either a fair catch fumble or a ball bouncing down the field for an additional 15 yards and poor field position. Too many misques and overall dumb plays . hopefully fain can continue to hit . and hill stepped up after getting replaced . our special teams gave up or accounted for every score yesterday .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GoHogs1091

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 26, 2014, 03:06:01 pm
to me it all comes back to coaching issues . you never go behind the 10 on a punt  return . we rarely return one . i hate to see a team punt to us because it's either a fair catch fumble or a ball bouncing down the field for an additional 15 yards and poor field position. Too many misques and overall dumb plays . hopefully fain can continue to hit . and hill stepped up after getting replaced . our special teams gave up or accounted for every score yesterday .

You are correct.  There needs to be better Special Teams coaching.

If it were me, I would bring in a dedicated Special Teams Coach.  I would also consider a new RB Coach (too many fumbles by the RBs this season), and I would consider a new DL Coach (to me, there hasn't been enough physicality on the DL this season).

I would also have Barry Lunney, Jr. coach the QBs in addition to coaching the TEs.

Atlhogfan1

Depth shows up on STs and we don't have depth.

Our kickoff coverage issues has more to do with the kicks.  They are low and short.   With this being the case, they need to be directional outside of the hashmarks. 

We've had these punt returner issues many times.  Punt returners are usually a receiver or DB - two of our weakest areas in terms of depth.   And our wr depth is filled with tall, physical wr's and not ones you would normally see return punts.  Hopefully JoJo or another player will take the role after this season.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sowmonella

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 26, 2014, 03:14:13 pm

Our kickoff coverage issues has more to do with the kicks.  They are low and short.   With this being the case, they need to be directional outside of the hashmarks. 

We've had these punt returner issues many times.  Punt returners are usually a receiver or DB - two of our weakest areas in terms of depth.   And our wr depth is filled with tall, physical wr's and not ones you would normally see return punts.  Hopefully JoJo or another player will take the role after this season.

Very good assessment. +1
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Athog

This is the weakest part of our team. Need a kicker and learn to cover. At times I just want them to kick it out of bounds and start play there instead of risking a touchdown on every kick-off!!

downsouthhawg72

What made Joe Adams so good on Punt Returns is he was fearless. He caught the ball knowing he might get hammered afterwards but he also know if he can catch it & make that 1st guy miss he could take it to the house. We have nobody that they are playing back there thats fearless & thats why you see all the drop balls. Their to scared their going to get hit. I would say put Jared C. back there & see what he does or just wait to next year & give it to Jo Jo.
DownSouthHawg

Athog

Danny J

I agree that our special teams have been terrible especially starting with the aTm game. I will give McFain credit for making every thing thus far he has attempted especially the 49yd FG.

The main issues I see are the punt returners, the punters and the kickoff team. I think the extra points and FG's may have been worked out or at least I hope so.

If we can fix special teams and correct bonehead penalties we have a chance in every game going forward. They certainly cost us the Bama and aTm game.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 26, 2014, 03:14:13 pm

This.  Plus when auditioning new punt returners in an 11AM game on a bright clear day only send them in when driving towards the north end zone.

showme

Quote from: Athog on October 26, 2014, 03:20:50 pm
Who is the Special Teams coach??
There isn't one particular coach dedicated to coaching all special teams. The different facets (kickoff, KO return, Punt, punt return, etc...) of ST are split among the coaches. FYI - Bielema is in charge of punt returns, possibly the worst facet of them all !!!!

Stellar job coach ! Give that job to someone else ! lol...........

Bacons Rebellion

What will fix our coverage teams are quality young backups at the linebacker and safety positions -- places where we have very thin depth. These are the ideal coverage guys, since they can tackle and have speed. We don't have enough right now.

HF#1

Seagrest and Bielema handle special teams.  I think it falls mainly under Seagrest though.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Melorock089

Depth.

I was pretty irritated at coverage teams play yesterday until BB said he put in 2nd stringers to give them reps. That was why.

HF#1

Quote from: Melorock089 on October 26, 2014, 03:54:54 pm
Depth.

I was pretty irritated at coverage teams play yesterday until BB said he put in 2nd stringers to give them reps. That was why.

The coverage wasn't near as bad as not being able to catch a punt.  That will get you murdered in the SEC.  Can not make those mistakes the next 4 games.

That dude that got the return was very fast and obviously their best player.  I'd like to have his speed on our side...

Danny J

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 03:56:27 pm
The coverage wasn't near as bad as not being able to catch a punt.  That will get you murdered in the SEC.  Can not make those mistakes the next 4 games.

That dude that got the return was very fast and obviously their best player.  I'd like to have his speed on our side...
Yeah and the not fielding of punts cost us the Bama game IMO when you look at where they started versus us. We started inside the 20 yard line 10 times and inside the 15 yard line 7 times. I can't believe that we didn't adjust to that. Send ANYBODY out there willing to at least stand there and catch the damn thing.

HF#1

Quote from: Danny J on October 26, 2014, 04:00:21 pm
Yeah and the not fielding of punts cost us the Bama game IMO when you look at where they started versus us. We started inside the 20 yard line 10 times and inside the 15 yard line 7 times. I can't believe that we didn't adjust to that. Send ANYBODY out there willing to at least stand there and catch the damn thing.

It's scary when Dean does what he did and then you put in Wilson and he does something worse!  What is wrong with these guys? lol

Danny J

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 04:02:00 pm
It's scary when Dean does what he did and then you put in Wilson and he does something worse!  What is wrong with these guys? lol
They look like they are poorly coached. I think some of it has to do with the opposing special teams coach knowing how bad we are on punts and tries to kick it short when we are deep or deep when we are short or to the left when we are in the middle or slight right of field, etc....

dacskc

We just need someone who can field a punt reliably. Someone like Hillis who you knew even though they probably wouldn't break off a long run, would at least catch the ball. Someone yesterday suggested Derby, or maybe one of the receivers who doesn't play that much like Morgan or Edwards. I'm sure the coaches have looked at all available options, and if they haven't...after Saturday, they should.

HOGINTENNESSEE

One thing I have noted over the years is that coaches usually get those things that they dearly want.  Nutt wanted to be the center of attention always and foremost and he got that.  Petrino wanted a passing game and he invented it from the ashes of a group that didn't know scat about passing.  Petrino, though not really wanting a running game, realized he needed one and so after hearing the RBs just didn't get it for over 2 years, Petrino found a running game during the bye week after we played Bama in 2011, I think.  So strange but lo and behold, Knile Davis got it finally.  What we got was a HC determined to improve the damn running game and in two weeks we had a pretty good one.

Smile  just wanted a paycheck and Smile got that, leaving our team not knowing scat about what it was or could be.

BB arrived and wanted a running game and nice O-line and truthfully, we've got both.  When BB decides we need better Special Teams, Better Passing and more depth, he will develop that.  Anyone believing either of the above 3 items is all it can be right now with the personnel we have on hand is just wrong in my opinion.  We are not a talented team but we have enough personnel on hand to improve our QB and WR situation, our Special Teams and develop depth.  Just yesterday we had a golden opportunity to develop depth instead of letting starters flop around in the third quarter with the game half on their mind stinking up the joint while deserving subs stood around with their helmets in hand.  We drew up so bad late that if the game had run another quarter, I believe we would have just run fullback dives on every play.  As untalented as we are in some areas, this staff isn't even getting what is there to get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on October 26, 2014, 04:00:21 pm

Coach didn't want to risk giving Bama a short field in a game our defense dominated the Bama offense by trying to catch punts in the rain.  Considering how our DBs couldn't hold onto the ball it probably was a legit concern.  Yes it cost us field position but didn't lose the game.  Offensive turnovers and a mishandled snap on a FG played bigger roles. 

Not sure why all of the comments on kickoff coverage.  Short, low kicks especially down the middle of the field are almost impossible to cover well unless an individual player makes a great play.  Coverage players cannot get down and fill their lanes in time.  Anytime you see a kick come down in the middle of the field without good hang time especially outside of the endzone expect a good return with a chance for a big return. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

HF#1

Quote from: Danny J on October 26, 2014, 04:05:00 pm
They look like they are poorly coached. I think some of it has to do with the opposing special teams coach knowing how bad we are on punts and tries to kick it short when we are deep or deep when we are short or to the left when we are in the middle or slight right of field, etc....

I'm not sure we should even put a guy back there at this point. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 12247 on October 26, 2014, 04:12:12 pm
One thing I have noted over the years is that coaches usually get those things that they dearly want.  Nutt wanted to be the center of attention always and foremost and he got that.  Petrino wanted a passing game and he invented it from the ashes of a group that didn't know scat about passing.  Petrino, though not really wanting a running game, realized he needed one and so after hearing the RBs just didn't get it for over 2 years, Petrino found a running game during the bye week after we played Bama in 2011, I think.  So strange but lo and behold, Knile Davis got it finally.  What we got was a HC determined to improve the damn running game and in two weeks we had a pretty good one.

Smile  just wanted a paycheck and Smile got that, leaving our team not knowing scat about what it was or could be.

BB arrived and wanted a running game and nice O-line and truthfully, we've got both.  When BB decides we need better Special Teams, Better Passing and more depth, he will develop that.  Anyone believing either of the above 3 items is all it can be right now with the personnel we have on hand is just wrong in my opinion.  We are not a talented team but we have enough personnel on hand to improve our QB and WR situation, our Special Teams and develop depth.  Just yesterday we had a golden opportunity to develop depth instead of letting starters flop around in the third quarter with the game half on their mind stinking up the joint while deserving subs stood around with their helmets in hand.  We drew up so bad late that if the game had run another quarter, I believe we would have just run fullback dives on every play.  As untalented as we are in some areas, this staff isn't even getting what is there to get.

"Petrino not really wanting a running game"?  Not what he told us.  It was after the 2010 Bama game for the last half of that season that he actually had one.

Backups played yesterday including on STs.  Another reach by you to repeat this rant.

razorback355

I'd take putting Drew Morgan back to field punts,
With the way that Dean clears out 3 out 4 punt returns
and let's it hit and tumble fifteen to twenty yards
towards our end zone it would help our starting line of
scrimmage immensely.

rogers-hog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on October 26, 2014, 03:52:55 pm
What will fix our coverage teams are quality young backups at the linebacker and safety positions -- places where we have very thin depth. These are the ideal coverage guys, since they can tackle and have speed. We don't have enough right now.
this, we are so thin at these positions we can't risk more injuries so we have to play with inexperience and hope they grow.

Rhog

Special teams win you or lose you at least 2-3 games each year.
Obviously we need to spend more time working on special teams and we need someone to take the reins. Either hire someone, or get it fixed. I don't care which, but it in inexcusable to be having so many special team problems this late in the year.
This is the one major flaw of BB that you cannot ignore.

Danny J

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 26, 2014, 04:16:29 pm
Coach didn't want to risk giving Bama a short field in a game our defense dominated the Bama offense by trying to catch punts in the rain.  Considering how our DBs couldn't hold onto the ball it probably was a legit concern.  Yes it cost us field position but didn't lose the game.  Offensive turnovers and a mishandled snap on a FG played bigger roles. 

Have to agree to disagree here. Our offense isn't built, especially against a D like Bama, to start at or inside the 20 a total of ten times and be successful. I agree there were other issues but IMHO that cost us the game.

showme

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 26, 2014, 04:18:09 pm
We need to hire a good special teams coach.
OK fine, then what position coach are you going to eliminate and who will handle his former duties ?

dacskc

Quote from: razorback355 on October 26, 2014, 04:28:32 pm
I'd take putting Drew Morgan back to field punts,
With the way that Dean clears out 3 out 4 punt returns
and let's it hit and tumble fifteen to twenty yards
towards our end zone it would help our starting line of
scrimmage immensely.

I think that's a good idea. Morgan has good hands, and was on kick return last year (although I don't remember a return from him...which is good, means he didn't screw it up, lol)

I know Petrino said he wanted a running game and offered up multiple reasons why we didn't have one for 2.5 seasons, the favorite being that the RBs just weren't stepping up.  But we did finally install one in two weeks with one of those same RBs when push came to shove and I'll remind you that the other RBs all of a sudden got much better too.  A miracle I guess.

Backups in the fourth quarter did get some playing time, we even let Austin throw a pass in addition to shining his hander offer touch.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 26, 2014, 10:01:16 am

Attempt to go after the punted ball that bounced backwards amidst two of their defenders was absurd.

So was the one later, that we tried to catch running backwards inside our own 10 yard line.  Very lucky that wasn't an instant touchdown for UAB.  Their man got his hands on that loose ball in the end zone....luckily, he didn't hold on.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

root_hawg

Bama except for their punter is asking the same question

Granny fan

ballz2thewall

this is way off topic and i'm daydreaming at night

but i always wanted to see matt jones return a punt.  dunno why, except a true athlete is just that, an ATHLETE.

ok.  back to regular programming.....
The rest of the frog.

Tim Harris

The one I hate the most is punt return.  We very rarely get any sort of return game.  I doubt we see that change much between now and the end of the year but with some of the new WR we have on campus I'm hoping we get to see some other options this spring.