Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I love the TD pass by Tretola, but....

Started by Music City Razorback, October 25, 2014, 07:37:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Razorback

I equally love the fact that Adam McFain hit a 49 yard FG (right down the middle) and all six extra points.  Problem seems to be solved!
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pulled(PP)pork

elksnort

Quote from: Music City Razorback on October 25, 2014, 07:37:52 pm
I equally love the fact that Adam McFain hit a 49 yard FG (right down the middle) and all six extra points.  Problem seems to be solved!
we would have an SEC victory had we had Mcfain then.

Very nice kick

hamARchy in the USA

Agreed.  It should be a confidence booster for the team that one of the issues they've been plagued with has been shored up if not eliminated.  Could be the difference in one or more of the upcoming games.

jjdlc

Problem seems to be solved!

I want to see him do it when the pressure is on, but it was indeed encouraging.

redeye

Same here.  I missed the game today and didn't hear about the FG until later.  Why hasn't this received more attention?

redeye

Quote from: jjdlc on October 25, 2014, 07:46:26 pm
I want to see him do it when the pressure is on, but it was indeed encouraging.

Doesn't matter how good McFain may be, if the line and holder don't do their job when the pressure is on.  That's my bigger concern.

DEVIL DOG HOG

We found a new QB and a new KICKER today.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Paul

intelligence

Quote from: redeye on October 25, 2014, 07:50:53 pm
Doesn't matter how good McFain may be, if the line and holder don't do their job when the pressure is on.  That's my bigger concern.

good point

HF#1

We have a problem at punt returner...  That's worse than not being able to kick a FG or extra point. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 26, 2014, 08:43:37 am
why in the world would we show this vs UAB? Weak...and stupid.

Put your resume in, coach.
Go Hogs Go!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 26, 2014, 08:58:55 am
Put your resume in, coach.
this is in top 3 of responses to credible fan criticism and poster has no valid reply to.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

pigroots

Doubt we would use it in a close game....it will help if for no other reason people across the country are talking about Arkansas today even though we played UAB

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 26, 2014, 09:02:46 am
this is in top 3 of responses to criticism that is valid and poster has no valid reply to.

And yours is the response of posters who are just generally negative about anything in the program and who would benefit from reading/listening more before they post responses like this. Why they ran it when they did was addressed in the post game press conference.
Go Hogs Go!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 26, 2014, 09:05:40 am
And yours is the response of posters who are just generally negative about anything in the program and who would benefit from reading/listening more before they post responses like this. Why they ran it when they did was addressed in the post game press conference.
and what they said was typical for this staff who can't win a game.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Wants2Win

I don't really have a problem with the play. Fun for the players, Exposure, ect....NOW IF it becomes the highlight of our season I won't be happy.

chuggs33

What, the field goal and extra points?  We had to know whether or not this kid could get it done in a game.  We now have our answer.

As far as the lineman/QB pass play perfection...I think Coach B wanted to loosen the team up a bit and get their confidence up, plus allow them to have a bit of fun. 

chuggs33

Crazy how some "fans" can be so angry and negative following a WIN. 

Wants2Win

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 26, 2014, 09:10:33 am
it is the highlight of our season. Do u think we are going to do something greater vs Miss St, Ole Miss or LSU? Ha.
Hopefully.

Locutus_of_Boar

You never know when it come to kickers but McFain's FG is likely far more important to the next four weeks. 

The trick play was a clever move by Bielema to gather national attention on a week when there should have been none and work a little on recruiting for the line.  Like the brutal play calling at Lubbock it was designed to get the maximum image value and foster the perception that Arkansas is where linemen and running backs and tight ends want to play.

Pancetta

HIM we used that play against UAB because it wouldn't work against an SEC-W team and we most likely won't have a game that much in hand the rest of the way.  Contrary to your statement the coaches aren't weak, they are smart and got the team all over TV and internet, risked very little, and made 2 player's have a HUGE personal career highlight.  To me, it sounds like a win all the way around. If it causes a single recruit to pick us over somebody else then that is just gravy.  I personally can't find any reason whatsoever to complain about it but that's just me and the other 100 million people that will see it. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Pigdiana Jones

If it helps the players play better, more power to them. I personally liked the play. They needed a game where they can relax and try to get back to where they were supposed to be getting this year in development.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

daBoar

I thought this too, but perhaps it's equally valid to think that CBB wanted to showcase the play and give others a lot to think about.  I don't think anyone was saying that that the UAB defense "saw that coming".

jjdlc

It was an absolutely brilliant recruiting move.  As others pointed out, it was a play that had very little chance of success against an SEC team, and got Arkansas plastered all over the National media on a weak when we blew out a rent-a-win.  So yeah, by all means, keep being pissed.

jcharkansas

Quote from: chuggs33 on October 26, 2014, 09:11:40 am
Crazy how some "fans" can be so angry and negative following a WIN.
I don't get how people get on here and say that every time we beat one of our rent a win opponents. UAB is not half the team we are, we shouldnt act like this was some big feat we are still 0-whatever in conf play. Nothing to be happy about that I can see.

(notOM)Rebel123

The fact that we have a kicker who can make a FG? Seriously?
You asked this in reply to a post regarding the FG....

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 26, 2014, 11:03:56 am
The fact that we have a kicker who can make a FG? Seriously?
You asked this in reply to a post regarding the FG....
forgive him, he also stated the Peyton Manning would never play another down of football after his last surgery

PP

razorbackkid

The play was awesome and Coach B's comment about it was awesome.  Win/win.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hobhog

He explained why after the game if you really care. Trying to let the players have some fun after a tough few weeks. They loved it.

I'm sure you would have loved that call when the game was on the line against one of the past top ranked team we played, and it failed. He can't win either way with some....

The play was fun for at least 2 players and did gain a bunch of attention.  It also took up some valuable practice time that maybe could have been used to try and find a way to get Austin Allen in the mix for some learning with the first teamers. 

Where did this Mcfain kicker come from?????

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

lefty08

Quote from: 12247 on October 26, 2014, 12:03:55 pm
The play was fun for at least 2 players and did gain a bunch of attention.  It also took up some valuable practice time that maybe could have been used to try and find a way to get Austin Allen in the mix for some learning with the first teamers. 

Just curious how many times you have seen Austin work with the first teamers in practice
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

tusksincolorado

Quote from: elksnort on October 25, 2014, 07:49:55 pm
because it's not something to bitch about

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

(notOM)Rebel123

You can't be serious?

I can just hear CBB in practice, "let's cut AA's reps down today so we can work on Tretola Left."
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pulled(PP)pork

I love the replies by some of you like it's our only "secret play" and we are doomed because we didn't save it for someone better.

probably the same that were bitchin last year when the trick plays weren't working

PP

Westcoasthog

Why didn't Bielema and his coaching crew put in McFain as the field goal kicker?  Arkansas would have had victories over Texas A & M and Alabama. as you know in those games the field goals were wide not good.

rusvegashog

I thought the Drew Morgan catch was the offensive play of the day. Our secondary has looked surprisingly good up until Georgia and had UAB made some throws they had us beat deep several times yesterday. We're sooooo much improved, but still aways away. Man I hope I'm wrong, but it could get ugly from here on out. Please oh please be wrong.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Westcoasthog on October 26, 2014, 12:54:18 pm
Why didn't Bielema and his coaching crew put in McFain as the field goal kicker?  Arkansas would have had victories over Texas A & M and Alabama. as you know in those games the field goals were wide not good.

Because Henson had continued to demonstrate in practice that he could get it done. Not so much in the pressure of real games. Finally, they went with McFain. Lessons learned.
Go Hogs Go!

rusvegashog

I'm obviously not a coach or am able to discern what I see on tape obviously because it had been my opinion that the line was as much or more to blame for our kicking woes as Henson. Even the 44? Yarder   I thought that the kick had to be altered because of the penetration.  Nothing was as bad as that 19 yarder the OU kicker missed a couple weeks ago for the game. That was all him. Ugh

DEVICEHIGH

That will not work against LSU or Ole Miss.

It was fun and it got us on Sports Center.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol......sad but true.  If he had missed it, there would be 6 more threads on the subject..
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DoctorSusscrofa

I'm glad he hit the FG and hope it continues. But we'll know more when he faces MSU and LSU special teams rather than UAB. But I am hopeful.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

acey33

Quote from: chuggs33 on October 26, 2014, 09:10:19 am
What, the field goal and extra points?  We had to know whether or not this kid could get it done in a game.  We now have our answer.

As far as the lineman/QB pass play perfection...I think Coach B wanted to loosen the team up a bit and get their confidence up, plus allow them to have a bit of fun.

This^^^Afterall it was Homecoming right...So let them have some fun

PorkRinds

In his presser, CBB said they ran through it 4 times.  Doesn't sound like it took up much time.

Biggus Piggus

WHYWASNTHETHEKICKERBEFOREBIELEMABLEWITAGAINBLOOORRRRTTTTT
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rusvegashog on October 26, 2014, 01:15:00 pm
I'm obviously not a coach or am able to discern what I see on tape obviously because it had been my opinion that the line was as much or more to blame for our kicking woes as Henson. Even the 44? Yarder   I thought that the kick had to be altered because of the penetration.  Nothing was as bad as that 19 yarder the OU kicker missed a couple weeks ago for the game. That was all him. Ugh

Lower kicks have nothing to do with the O-Line. Henson kicked at a lower angle, thus the blocks. As BB said, you would have to be pretty tall to block McFain's kicks, he gets the ball up in the air quicker and higher.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53b463e6e4b0a4c99fcb1320

Greenwood
Go Hogs Go!