Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trick Play

Started by hogfan98, October 25, 2014, 05:35:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 25, 2014, 05:59:36 pm
My whole point is the trick play against UAB was in poor taste. Kick the FG or go for it conventionally, either way it is not going to change the outcome of the game.

I have to say that I strongly disagree for numerous reasons.

BartIV

Quote from: hogwild6700 on October 25, 2014, 05:49:19 pm
I may be the only one who feels this way about the trick play BUT.....something about having to run a trick play against a smaller and inferior team from the 2...it bothers me. Are we not able to just pound it up the middle?

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if we had done this against a Alabama, LSU,etc....but to do it against Birmingham High.

I don't want to be the debbie downer. I love the publicity we have gotten from this play. Does anyone else share my feelings on this?
I hate yo say it but I was thinking same thing.
I would have saved this one for a better team. Seems a waste for the time and the team used on.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: BartIV on October 26, 2014, 03:50:32 am
I would have saved this one for a better team. Seems a waste for the time and the team used on.

Just can't stand it, can some of you?  You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  If the Hogs do well, then that means Bielema does well. And, vice versa. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Steef

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 26, 2014, 04:04:40 am
Just can't stand it, can some of you?  You're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  If the Hogs do well, then that means Bielema does well. And, vice versa.

Sadly, this is true.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: BartIV on October 26, 2014, 03:50:32 am

Good Lord some of you people's football knowledge is virtually non existent.

That's not a play you run against a top tier team, it'd get sniffed out and blow up in your face.

The timing of the call and the opponent it was called against was spot on and that's why it worked.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogsnort

I loved the play! It was fun to watch.

WilsonHog

Those who are criticizing Coach Bielema for using it against UAB would have hammered the crap out of him if he used it against a SEC team. Successful or not, they would have said we had to resort to trickery to win.

They're about as difficult to read as the back of a cereal box.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 25, 2014, 05:59:36 pm
My whole point is the trick play against UAB was in poor taste. Kick the FG or go for it conventionally, either way it is not going to change the outcome of the game.

You are way off

Quote from: TuskFexas on October 25, 2014, 06:48:28 pm
I played guard in JV and I got to run the ball on a trick play in a game once. 
I went for 5yds on a 3rd and 8. 

Even though I didnt get a TD like Tretola and D'Appollonio, it still felt like a huge reward just to get the chance.

That's what this play was.  A reward for 2 guys that our coaches thought deserved it.

I am happy for them.

And yes also a good PR move.

Exactly....Its sugar for Tretola and D'Appollonio for their hard work.  Just like when you drive the length of the field on big runs by your tailback then let your full back punch it in from the 1 yard line.  Its a tip of the hat, to say we recognize what ya'll are doing. 

And O-linemen are typically a really tight knit bunch and by giving just one of them sugar they all get excited.

Also, plays like this are great for marketing your brand.  CBB has to show recruits that this team isn't just 3 yards and a cloud of dust that other teams characterize us as.  He needs to show that offensively we progressive and think outside of the box.

Arkfan

I may be the only one who feels this way about the trick play BUT.....something about having to run a trick play against a smaller and inferior team from the 2...it bothers me. Are we not able to just pound it up the middle?

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if we had done this against a Alabama, LSU,etc....but to do it against Birmingham High.

I don't want to be the debbie downer. I love the publicity we have gotten from this play. Does anyone else share my feelings on this?

I do.

Science Fiction Greg

This is like if someone said "does anyone else think the earth might actually be flat like I do?"  It might be a smart idea to take note of who responds with a yes here for future reference.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dark Helmet Hog

:puke:

Mike_e

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2014, 08:31:31 pm
I think he's yanking our chain.

I think.

Surely he is....I mean, he's not serious, right?

Isn't he GM's father-in-law?
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

hawgjr

One of the announcers said that Tretola struck the Heisman pose after the TD toss.  Anyone know of a picture of this somewhere on the internets? ;D

007 License To Squeal

I disagree completely. The probability of successfully executing this play against UAB was pretty high. Hence, this was a perfect week to try it.  Now, each of the remaining teams on our schedule will have to prepare for trickeration from the Hogs. The play was THE sports clip of the year, and it was fun for our players and our fans.  In addition, it was a big morale booster for the team.  Our team needed the boost, and the publicity has been incredible. I see nothing but positive outcomes.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hog N Bama

Quote from: cj_sez on October 25, 2014, 11:59:57 pm
Who remembers the trick play with Reggie Fish in 09?
No touch down, but a fun play to see.

This play today should be included in top 10 best trick plays of all time (at #1). The joy Tretola showed on his face made my day. Some fun is always a good thing.
Priceless