Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trick Play

Started by hogfan98, October 25, 2014, 05:35:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan98

You can't buy the publicity we're getting from it.  I've seen us on the front page of CNN, ESPN, and Yahoo.  May not help but definitely doesn't hurt.

atekido

Dude its on pretty much every Major television station and website rofl.  like you said you cant buy this much publicity.

Hogsmo Kramer

"If you're an O lineman and come to Arkansas we'll make you famous".

Love it!!!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Hogfly

As Bielema said in the halftime interview, "If you're an offensive lineman, come to Arkansas. We'll make you famous."

hogwild6700

I may be the only one who feels this way about the trick play BUT.....something about having to run a trick play against a smaller and inferior team from the 2...it bothers me. Are we not able to just pound it up the middle?

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if we had done this against a Alabama, LSU,etc....but to do it against Birmingham High.

I don't want to be the debbie downer. I love the publicity we have gotten from this play. Does anyone else share my feelings on this?
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

rljjr

Does anyone have a pic of the Heisman pose that Tretola did? It wasn't visible on TV.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: hogwild6700 on October 25, 2014, 05:49:19 pm
I may be the only one who feels this way about the trick play BUT.....something about having to run a trick play against a smaller and inferior team from the 2...it bothers me. Are we not able to just pound it up the middle?

It wouldn't have bothered me so much if we had done this against a Alabama, LSU,etc....but to do it against Birmingham High.

I don't want to be the debbie downer. I love the publicity we have gotten from this play. Does anyone else share my feelings on this?

Look man we just came off a 3 game brutal losing streak.

Could we have pounded it yeah we could have but at that time the game was in hand and I'm sure the coaches were like hey let's let the kids have some fun today.

Sometimes you gotta remind your kids it's a game and supposed to be about fun especially after the heart breaking losses they've endured.

As long as they're executing and playing hard I see no problem in it.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Ugly Uncle

No.  It was from the 6.  We had just run a fade to the back of the EZ, if I'm not mistaken, that just missed.

It was a feel good play that showed this team that football can still be fun.  It was fun.
Retired Radio Host

ballz2thewall

how about a proper perspective:

we didn't "have to" run it.

we just did.

is there a problem?
The rest of the frog.

Wild Boarnado

Quote from: rljjr on October 25, 2014, 05:50:40 pm
Does anyone have a pic of the Heisman pose that Tretola did? It wasn't visible on TV.
^This

I kept looking for that too. There was one replay where I thought we'd see it but then they cut to another scene.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

WashUhog6

We didn't *have* to run a trick play against a terrible team. The opponent this play was meant for is the Hogs' mental state, not UAB. This play is one of the best examples I've seen of trying to get your players to enjoy the game, get a win, and then get ready to go to work to get over the SEC hump.

I honestly believe that this was a brilliant move by Coach Bielema.

HSVhogfan2

My whole point is the trick play against UAB was in poor taste. Kick the FG or go for it conventionally, either way it is not going to change the outcome of the game.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

WashUhog6

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 25, 2014, 05:59:36 pm
My whole point is the trick play against UAB was in poor taste. Kick the FG or go for it conventionally, either way it is not going to change the outcome of the game.
Poor taste? It's one thing to criticize our inadequacies after beating up a bad opponent--and it's probably a bit warranted. But it seems like that so many around here are upset when we lose because we didn't win, and when we win they're upset because we didn't win the way they think we should.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: WashUhog6 on October 25, 2014, 06:02:05 pm
Poor taste? It's one thing to criticize our inadequacies after beating up a bad opponent--and it's probably a bit warranted. But it seems like that so many around here are upset when we lose because we didn't win, and when we win they're upset because we didn't win the way they think we should.

I actually thought the first half was almost flawless, (left late 3rd quarter) I just think it's akin to running the score up to do said play. A lot of the inbreds on here seem to disagree. I don't have a problem with that.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

DeltaHog82

A 10!!! I give a freakin 10!!!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: WashUhog6 on October 25, 2014, 05:57:49 pm
We didn't *have* to run a trick play against a terrible team. The opponent this play was meant for is the Hogs' mental state, not UAB. This play is one of the best examples I've seen of trying to get your players to enjoy the game, get a win, and then get ready to go to work to get over the SEC hump.

I honestly believe that this was a brilliant move by Coach Bielema.

I agree. The excitement this play created for the whole team, via Tretola and D'Appolonio executing it, is all that needs to be taken away from the play.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

ballz2thewall

on national forums the play is getting HUGE raves from fans all over the place.  coupled with cbb's quote at the half "if your a lineman, come to arkansas; we'll make you famous"

AND that we had some high valued recruits in the stands,

the rave is "brilliant".

fyi
The rest of the frog.

Boardon Hamsay

Good lord, man. We won. We had a long snapper catch a touchdown from an O-lineman. It excited the hell out of the players. Be happy for them. Or, do you need someone to make you famous?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

JeffSpicoli

This one is over your heads. This was a brilliant PR and recruiting move. It had nothing to do with putting points on the board. I'm really impressed with BB on this one.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I hope we call that play 10-12 more times.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

SemperFi

No. I think you're in the minority and it comes off as searching for something to complain about. If you want to gripe about something then let's complain about the unspecial teams play.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ballz2thewall

frankly, what bothers me is the "debbie downer" reference.
The rest of the frog.

Mick Hogger

Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

TuskFexas

I played guard in JV and I got to run the ball on a trick play in a game once. 
I went for 5yds on a 3rd and 8. 

Even though I didnt get a TD like Tretola and D'Appollonio, it still felt like a huge reward just to get the chance.

That's what this play was.  A reward for 2 guys that our coaches thought deserved it.

I am happy for them.

And yes also a good PR move.
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

Oklahawg

You show MS State something they have to prep for - brilliant.

Fun play? Brilliant.

Recruiting buzz? Brilliant.

Getting talking heads to talk about a 4-4 UA team playing a rent-a-win? Priceless
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hamARchy in the USA

Maybe they'll have Tretola run the read option next time.   8)

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 25, 2014, 06:48:28 pm

Fun play? Brilliant.

Getting talking heads to talk about a 4-4 UA team playing a rent-a-win? Priceless

Perfectly put.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Boardon Hamsay

Fun play? Brilliant.

I'll have what Okla is having.
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

Hogpkins

Fun play? Brilliant.

Excellent post. /thread

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 25, 2014, 05:55:52 pm
Who said it was the only way? Maybe the coaches were just having fun and letting some unheralded players show off. If it works, great. If not, no harm done.
we finally agree on all counts
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

yraciv

It's in poor taste if we do that in the 4th quarter. No one is going to accuse you of running it up at 21-0 w/ 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.  We didn't have to run it. We ran it to feel good and reward hard work after a couple of tough weeks.

SoCal Hog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 25, 2014, 05:37:37 pm
"If you're an O lineman and come to Arkansas we'll make you famous".

Love it!!!
That was a great quote but I thought this one was better (funnier):

"We probably have a quarterback controversy now in the eyes of Tretola."

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

redeye

Quote from: hogfan98 on October 25, 2014, 05:35:34 pm
You can't buy the publicity we're getting from it.  I've seen us on the front page of CNN, ESPN, and Yahoo.  May not help but definitely doesn't hurt.

To be honest, I don't even understand why it's such a big deal, but then I never played on the OL.  It obviously means a lot to those who did, but I mostly think the press is finally beginning to appreciate Arkansas again, thanks to Bielema.  Should pay great dividends with recruiting and I think you have to credit Bielema for that.

lumphog

BRILLIANT play design!!!!!!!!

Peter Porker

To give you guys some perspective of how the above poster feels bout Coach Bielema and how he could see it as poor taste:

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 21, 2014, 12:01:49 pm
LMAO. So you are comparing CBB with John Wooden? Really? The ridiculous CBB defenders are almost as crazy as the rediculous HDN defenders. Let's go ahead and put CBB into the AR Sports Hall of Fame. I'm sure he will win an SEC game or two one day.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hoss cartrack

sigh...good lord son....learn to complain ok?

hey baby....you look like a real bad idea.   come on over herel

Razor1997

There's no way we could have pulled it off against an SEC team.  They would have noticed that we had 11 players on the field and no QB or kicker, and would have known something was up and called timeout.

TMc

It was for the publicity.  BB is not some dumb jock - he knew exactly what he was doing.  Sure he could've pounded it - he chose to use a play for a recruiting tool.., (to get kids attention)

LZH

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 25, 2014, 05:53:57 pmhey let's let the kids have some fun today.

Here ya go, right here......spot on, cuz.

Besides, if we had tried that against an SEC team, they may have sniffed it out and the whole thing could have been a disaster.

Dirty

The attitude of some hogfans(6700 and hsvfan2) are ridiculous.

Inhogswetrust

That early in the game. Dude you've got to be kidding. That is the perfect time against anyone.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WilsonHog

Our players and coaches have been through a bitter three weeks. We accomplished three things today:

(1) we got a win;

(2) we had some fun; and

(3) we played a bunch of kids who normally don't get to that much.

That's a great day all the way around.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 25, 2014, 08:29:39 pm
That early in the game. Dude you've got to be kidding. That is the perfect time against anyone.

I think he's yanking our chain.

I think.

Surely he is....I mean, he's not serious, right?

Science Fiction Greg

I think if he was joking around he wouldn't have tried to hide it by deleting his posts and claiming he never said some of the stupid stuff he said.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Horthawg

It was a great play regardless who it was against or when in the game it took place. I've heard of the "center eligible" play but never saw one until today.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razor1997 on October 25, 2014, 08:20:09 pm
There's no way we could have pulled it off against an SEC team.  They would have noticed that we had 11 players on the field and no QB or kicker, and would have known something was up and called timeout.

Even if true it still was a good move because in your scenario they would have burned a timeout that they might have needed later.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogwild6700

I appreciate everyone's opinion, even if it is different from my own. I guess I don't have a problem with the play as much as I do the opponent we used it against.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogwild6700 on October 25, 2014, 10:12:08 pm
I appreciate everyone's opinion, even if it is different from my own. I guess I don't have a problem with the play as much as I do the opponent we used it against.

The game is a rent-a-win. That means you are paying UAB for the privilege of trying stuff, and also putting stuff on game tape that others have to consider during game prep.

I used to worry about running up the score, etc., but then came to realize - the younger players deserve a chance to run the playbook, etc. It may look cheap or unsportsmanlike, but that is why UAB is being paid umpteen hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

cj_sez

Who remembers the trick play with Reggie Fish in 09?
No touch down, but a fun play to see.

This play today should be included in top 10 best trick plays of all time (at #1). The joy Tretola showed on his face made my day. Some fun is always a good thing.

I BLEED RBack RED

It was a fun play and i luv everything it stood for. The publicity is just icing on the cake.
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).