Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM GAME THREAD - ALL POSTS GO HERE!!

Started by marty houston, October 25, 2014, 10:17:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dacskc

I wonder if McFain played soccer? Maybe it's a fixable technique thing with his kick offs? As terrible as our kick coverage is, they need to be consistently in the EZ. I don't wanna criticize the guy, because everything else so far has been good, but it would be easier to add a few yds to the kick than try to fix the giant cluster that is our kick coverage.

NVRyield

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: NVRyield on October 25, 2014, 02:59:46 pm
Yep

Likely the same people that refused to see any positives in the second half of the Georgia game.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

PorkRinds

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Baller on October 25, 2014, 02:53:53 pm
I can't believe we lost the 2nd half to UAB. 

I had hopes for the Mizzou game, but this makes me fear the worst.  We'll be on the road, after MSU, LSU, and Ole Miss, beaten up pretty badly, and.. what if we still can't finish games?

I would like to see us do better in the 4th when that's been a problem. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but it would have been nice to hold them to 3 or shut them out...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NVRyield

On a positive note, we're going to get some great publicity this week.  Even if we beat UAB 80-0 we wouldn't get the pub we'll get for the hefty lob.  Regardless if it was a genius decision to do it for publicity and recruiting (which at the end of the day it was) we'll get great airtime.  It's viral now, not sure what else we could've done in the second half to get as much pub as that one play.

We played well enough in the first half to mix in young players in the second half and I see all of the above as a positive.  Yes there were negatives, but we can see our coaches coaching up our players (secondary looks totally different) and they will coach or recruit out the mistakes we saw today.  Lots of film to improve on, but the rest of the nation will see nothing but positives in our highlight film this week.

Baller

My only concern is winning an SEC game in 2014, so we can have actual, tangible evidence of improvement over 2013. 

NVRyield

Quote from: Baller on October 25, 2014, 03:14:49 pm
My only concern is winning an SEC game in 2014, so we can have actual, tangible evidence of improvement over 2013.

I'm sure the coaches and players have the same concerns and goals.   :razorback:

Fayettechill14

For those that don't like Chaney... Paul Chryst may come available soon.

Pittsburgh has 5 drives... 5 lost fumbles. Down 28-0 to Georgia Tech in the first quarter. Pitt fans are ready for him to be gone.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 25, 2014, 03:26:08 pm

Pittsburgh has 5 drives... 5 lost fumbles. Down 28-0 to Georgia Tech in the first quarter. Pitt fans are ready for him to be gone.
I'm sure the fans don't like it but I bet the administration gives him some more time. He willingly walked into that dumpster fire...he was the 3rd head coach in 3 years not counting the interims, plus he probably could have walked into the head coaching job at Wisconsin after Bielema left.

I don't think he's going anywhere unless he leaves voluntarily.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 25, 2014, 02:32:09 pm
Don't lose in all of our STs mistakes that FG kick down the middle from 49.

I got a chuckle out of the cheers for the PAT. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

The LAST thing we need is another assistant change - especially with this offense.  People talk about needing time....He and Pittman are the BEST coaches on this staff.  Keeping BB and getting rid of Chaney would ruin the balance and creativity we have going for us.  Furthermore, if BB ends up not getting it done here, it just lengthens that process as a whole. 

Bringing in a whole new offense and taking the time to install it, plus the damage it will do to the recruiting momentum we have going would be disastrous.  Chaney makes up for the weaknesses BB has. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

sowmonella

Game was very well called. We went straight vanilla with back ups in the 2nd half.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Ironhawg

Don't know about him as a HC, but as an OC alongside CBB IMHO he would be very good.  On another subject; I don't understand all the complaining about the second half?  I saw a bunch of folks playing in the second half getting game experience who normally don't get to play.  Developing some depth is a good thing isn't it?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogville38 on October 25, 2014, 02:20:13 pm
3rd quarter wasn't backups????????? Flat playcalling. Run run run punt.

One series in the 3rd, one series in the 4th.

1st and 10 at UAB 46   Jonathan Williams run for 13 yds to the UAB 33 for a 1ST down   0   35
1st and 10 at UAB 33   Jonathan Williams run for 1 yd to the UAB 32       
2nd and 9 at UAB 32   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Demetrius Wilson       
3rd and 9 at UAB 32   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Hunter Henry       
4th and 9 at UAB 32   Adam McFain 49 yd FG GOOD

1st and 10 at ARK 2   Jonathan Williams run for 3 yds to the Ark 5   0   38
2nd and 7 at ARK 5   Alex Collins run for 4 yds to the Ark 9       
3rd and 3 at ARK 9   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Jeremy Sprinkle       
4th and 3 at ARK 9   Toby Baker punt for 36 yds , Jamarcus Nelson returns for 35 yds to the Ark 10       

1st and 10 at ARK 20   Jared Cornelius run for 2 yds to the Ark 22       
2nd and 8 at ARK 22   Alex Collins run for 3 yds to the Ark 25       
3rd and 5 at ARK 25   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Demetrius Wilson       
   Timeout ARKANSAS, clock 06:03       
4th and 5 at ARK 25   Sam Irwin-Hill punt for 54 yds , Jamarcus Nelson returns for 4 yds to the UAB 25

1st and 10 at ARK 30   Brandon Allen pass complete to Cody Hollister for 18 yds to the Ark 48 for a 1ST down   3   38
1st and 10 at ARK 48   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan       
2nd and 10 at ARK 48   ARKANSAS Penalty, Delay of Game (NA) to the Ark 43       
2nd and 15 at ARK 43   Jonathan Williams run for 27 yds to the UAB 30 for a 1ST down       
1st and 10 at UAB 30   Damon Mitchell run for 15 yds to the UAB 15 for a 1ST down       
   Timeout UAB, clock 03:01       
1st and 10 at UAB 15   Brandon Allen pass complete to Jeremy Sprinkle for 15 yds for a TD, (Adam McFain KICK)   3   45

1st and 10 at ARK 25   Alex Collins run for 2 yds to the Ark 27       
2nd and 8 at ARK 27   Alex Collins run for 7 yds to the Ark 34       
3rd and 1 at ARK 34   Alex Collins run for no gain to the Ark 34       
4th and 1 at ARK 34   Sam Irwin-Hill punt for 41 yds, fair catch by Jamarcus Nelson at the UAB 25       

1st and 10 at ARK 4   Kody Walker run for 11 yds to the Ark 15 for a 1ST down   10   45
1st and 10 at ARK 15   Kody Walker run for 4 yds to the Ark 19       
2nd and 6 at ARK 19   Kody Walker run for 6 yds to the Ark 25 for a 1ST down       
1st and 10 at ARK 25   Denzell Evans run for no gain to the Ark 25       
2nd and 10 at ARK 25   Denzell Evans run for 2 yds to the Ark 27       
3rd and 8 at ARK 27   Austin Allen pass incomplete to Alex Voelzke, broken up by Darius Williams ARKANSAS Penalty, Illegal Formation (Dan Skipper) declined       
4th and 8 at ARK 27   Sam Irwin-Hill punt for 38 yds, fair catch by Jamarcus Nelson at the UAB 35

1st and 10 at ARK 20   Kody Walker run for 2 yds to the Ark 22   10   45
2nd and 8 at ARK 22   Damon Mitchell run for no gain to the Ark 22       
3rd and 8 at ARK 22   Kody Walker run for 4 yds to the Ark 26       
4th and 4 at ARK 26   Sam Irwin-Hill punt for 40 yds, fair catch by Jamarcus Nelson at the UAB 34       

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

After hiring an all-star(except D-Coordinator) staff of assistants, people think the solution is to start getting rid of them before they finish installing their system(not to mention the culture they want) and before they get the kind of players we need?

Brilliant.  We've been through that before.  Good luck with all that.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

sickboy

hoglady

Quote from: showme on October 25, 2014, 02:50:55 pm
I guess some of you just don't get out much and watch games in a group. If you did, you would understand the difference between discussing the good and bad of a game versus "complaining" and you wouldn't be calling other people idiots. If any of you had spent much time watching games in a group and not by yourself on the couch, you would hear all sorts of comments during games that aren't all just accolades about the team's performance. IT'S NORMAL folks. Get over it. Quit having unreal expectations that include nary a bad word spoken about a team during a game. Get out and watch a game with a group. Understand that not every non-flattering comment is a complaint, it's just a comment.

Point taken.
But just to be straight I have NEVER EVER called anyone on this board an idiot - NEVER. And I've been here since a few years before Nutt was fired. I try to respect everyone's opinion, because you know I change mine from time to time.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Fayettechill14

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 25, 2014, 03:59:48 pm
After hiring an all-star(except D-Coordinator) staff of assistants, people think the solution is to start getting rid of them before they finish installing their system(not to mention the culture they want) and before they get the kind of players we need?

I posted that in jest. And because it's hilarious that Pitt has fumbled on 5 straight drives to open the game.

FWF79

And Allen was his usual self today.   15/24 for 205 against UAB.  Still not impressed

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 25, 2014, 04:29:07 pm
I posted that in jest. And because it's hilarious that Pitt has fumbled on 5 straight drives to open the game.

My bad, I definitely missed that.

MissippHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 25, 2014, 03:52:08 pm
Don't know about him as a HC, but as an OC alongside CBB IMHO he would be very good.  On another subject; I don't understand all the complaining about the second half? I saw a bunch of folks playing in the second half getting game experience who normally don't get to play.  Developing some depth is a good thing isn't it?
Depends which agenda you're trying to push.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: FWF79 on October 25, 2014, 04:37:21 pm
And Allen was his usual self today.   15/24 for 205 against UAB.  Still not impressed

63% completion, 2 TDs and a QBR of 90.  I'll take that "usual" every game. 
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

farmhawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 25, 2014, 03:59:48 pm

So that's whats wrong with special teams?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Quote from: farmhawg on October 25, 2014, 04:45:19 pm
So that's whats wrong with special teams?

I guess I shouldn't have said all assistants.  There are definitely problems there, but that is easier to fix either by a change in staff or a change in players - like we saw today with the field goal kicker.  Obviously, something needs to be done about our coverage also. 

I was mainly talking about Offense and Defense.

D4UAB

I was pretty disappointed that we had to play our backup QB as we were essentially conceding the game, but it was probably a smart move considering the rest of our season. The backup QB is a RS freshman and just not good at all yet.  Would've probably been a bit more of a game if we were able to actually have some completed passes :P and sustain some early drives without solely depending on our run game, but likely wouldn't have mattered in the end since we couldn't stop you guys.  You were a total mismatch for us. We actually matched up with Miss. state pretty well. We had 2 huge miscues against MSU in our redzone that both resulted in TDs for MSU (Punt blocked at the 20, interception inside the 10 for a TD).

Good luck the rest of the season guys and congrats on the win.

Quote from: D4UAB on October 26, 2014, 12:49:55 am
I was pretty disappointed that we had to play our backup QB as we were essentially conceding the game, but it was probably a smart move considering the rest of our season. The backup QB is a RS freshman and just not good at all yet.  Would've probably been a bit more of a game if we were able to actually have some completed passes :P and sustain some early drives without solely depending on our run game, but likely wouldn't have mattered in the end since we couldn't stop you guys.  You were a total mismatch for us. We actually matched up with Miss. state pretty well. We had 2 huge miscues against MSU in our redzone that both resulted in TDs for MSU (Punt blocked at the 20, interception inside the 10 for a TD).

Good luck the rest of the season guys and congrats on the win.

Good luck to you guys - your kids showed great heart and effort.