Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Makes Me Proud...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, October 25, 2014, 09:43:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Watching ESPN Gameday and just heard Brady Hoke (Michigan coach on the hotseat) commenting on the game with Michigan State today. He said, "who doesn't want to be involved in this? Some kids may miss a class here and there prior to the game in order to get some extra preparation".

You miss classes at Arkansas, you let down in any aspect, which stresses academics as much as football, and you are penalized on the field. This is why Bielema stresses that he seeks "uncommon men". He is teaching life lessons to these kids. If you want to have success, there aren't any shortcuts. You do it, but you do it in the right way. Bielema stresses that while you are here to play football, attending class and making your grades are a part of that disciplined environment.

Bielema wants to build a successful football team, but I think that he also believes that he is training young men to go forth in life and be successful, productive citizens because of the life lessons that they have learned by being a part of his program. Football is his primary responsibility, but he has a responsibility to the parents who send their kids to him, trusting that he will treat them right and teach them good habits.

I know we haven't reached the level of wins that anyone wants, but to win you have to be disciplined, and he is teaching that to these kids in all aspects of life. We aren't "there" yet, but I am confident that we will get to the wins eventually.

In the meantime I am proud to have a HC and staff that makes the kids on the team achieve success, but in the right way and will produce Arkansas Grads who will represent the school well when their careers at Arkansas are over. As much as we all want to win and love to win, it isn't just about football. It is about the quality of the "men" that emerge from the program.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

AloRaptor

Poker_hog

Personally, I'm tired of losing the "right way".  These "uncommon men" better start winning some games or cbb will be doing it the right way somewhere else.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Snortingred1

CBB is developing men, just as much as football players.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 25, 2014, 10:03:49 am
Personally, I'm tired of losing the "right way".  These "uncommon men" better start winning some games or cbb will be doing it the right way somewhere else.

Yeah, that disclaimer was included in the OP. Not really the point, but o.k.
Go Hogs Go!

farmhawg

When does that discipline carry over to the football field?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

nchogg

The day will come. Sooner than later.

3dawghawg

Doing it the right way will payoff both on and off the field. Just be patient and support this team.

Dirty

Great topic! Too bad that some people try to derail it!

DEVICEHIGH

Just win football games please.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 25, 2014, 09:43:54 am
Some kids may miss a class here and there prior to the game in order to get some extra preparation".

What kind of coach would say this out loud?  I know he's coaching for his job and the last thing any of those kids want to do is lost to Michigan State, but that's a ridiculous thing to say imo.

And fwiw, State is mopping the floor with Michigan right now...which I think is fantastic (I haven't like Michigan since Carr left).

hog911

Only coaches who are losing on the field preach academics! How many times has Saban brought that up in his tenure?

Torqued pork

Maybe the Ivy League is looking for another member.

Pulled(PP)pork

It was a good thought OP,  but too many negative Nancy's/numbskulls in here

PP

Danny J

Acehawg

Rinse and repeat until he wins his first SEC game.   Really are you guys on the payroll or what?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Acehawg on October 25, 2014, 07:56:30 pm
Really are you guys on the payroll or what?

I'm pretty sure the OP is, but he usually has good stuff.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Lord of the Styes

Did the Hogs lose today or something? I guess there is no joy for some until the Hogs rule college football.

hog911

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on October 25, 2014, 08:04:32 pm
Did the Hogs lose today or something? I guess there is no joy for some until the Hogs rule college football.

Oh I'm sorry, did UAB join the SEC? If their not in the SEC, it a scrimmage to me! You and all the other long lovers should raise your expectations a bit!

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pigsear

Some people on here must have lives that really suck. They were just letting the players have a little fun.

Lord of the Styes

The wins will come in time but I'm guessing time is not something your willing to give. This coaching staff is an investment and needs time to mature, much like many people on hogville. I've been too emotionally invested with the Hogs before, same as you. Live and die with every win or loss. It will get better but fans don't get the luxury of deciding when.r

code red

Quote from: farmhawg on October 25, 2014, 04:40:46 pm
When does that discipline carry over to the football field?
Totally agree....we even took plays off today.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

passinghog

Just win baby. As long as their eligible to get on the field and play ball, that's all I care about.

Dirty

Quote from: hog911 on October 25, 2014, 08:25:35 pm
Oh I'm sorry, did UAB join the SEC? If their not in the SEC, it a scrimmage to me! You and all the other long lovers should raise your expectations a bit!

Go create a I hate Arkansas football until we win at least a SEC GAME!

mlloyd4

Need to be careful not to put Bielema on a pedestal for encouraging traditional character building and academic achievement with the athletes at this point. After all, Bielema has only been here a couple of seasons. Let's see if he can stick with it through his entire recruiting class before we judge either way.
WPS

Oklahawg

We have fans who are the equivalent of amber & black computer screens.

Some have advanced to 8-color screens.

However, the industry standard is now...millions of colors? Do not denigrate someone who sees the program in more than 256-colors just because you can't, or won't.

Those not getting the screen color analogy...maybe there is a coloring book calling you.

Great OP
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on October 25, 2014, 08:51:42 pm
The wins will come in time but I'm guessing time is not something your willing to give. This coaching staff is an investment and needs time to mature, much like many people on hogville. I've been too emotionally invested with the Hogs before, same as you. Live and die with every win or loss. It will get better but fans don't get the luxury of deciding when.r

Well said.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on October 25, 2014, 05:26:42 pm
What kind of coach would say this out loud?  I know he's coaching for his job and the last thing any of those kids want to do is lost to Michigan State, but that's a ridiculous thing to say imo.

And fwiw, State is mopping the floor with Michigan right now...which I think is fantastic (I haven't like Michigan since Carr left).

The kind that will be unemployed in about 5 weeks.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Southpointhog

Oh geeze be quiet!!!!!

mlloyd4

I think the wins will come, and I think we are on the right track, but if we have one or two off the field incidents and continue losing, then this whole building the program the right way crowd is gonna be wishing they had a more realistic and honest point of view. At this point, BB is doing what most expected, but not much more, either on or off the field. Not like he and his wife have started some huge campaign to stamp out child abuse or anything. Bielema is a good coach who hasn't turned the corner yet, and has several opportunities ahead to do so, but it ain't like he is a saint.
WPS

HogMantheIntruder

It makes me proud too. What makes me more proud, however; is that long awaited recruiting advantage. We need something special to pull out of state recruits. If that advantage is the level of discipline in our program that Mom likes then so be it.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 25, 2014, 10:36:34 pm
We have fans who are the equivalent of amber & black computer screens.

Some have advanced to 8-color screens.

However, the industry standard is now...millions of colors? Do not denigrate someone who sees the program in more than 256-colors just because you can't, or won't.

Those not getting the screen color analogy...maybe there is a coloring book calling you.

Great OP

Fourth Dumbest Fanbase....and rising.

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2014, 11:00:07 pm
The kind that will be unemployed in about 5 weeks.

Got that right, brother....

MountieDawg

UAB has won less game in the last 3 years than the Hogs have and they don't play in the SEC. These types of wins should not get you excited but allow you to take a deep breath and be happy you didn't lose and go straight down the toilet.
SEC!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 26, 2014, 08:16:33 am
UAB has won less game in the last 3 years than the Hogs have and they don't play in the SEC. These types of wins should not get you excited but allow you to take a deep breath and be happy you didn't lose and go straight down the toilet.

That's not what this thread is about. No one is glorifying the UAB win. We beat them as we should have. But again, this thread is about what is being built and how it is being built.
Go Hogs Go!

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hog911 on October 25, 2014, 08:25:35 pm
While I agree that finally breaking through against the SEC is important, at least for the first time since '11 (?) we finally won each of our OOC games. Might not be the mark we're looking for, however, at least it's a good start. One step at a time........

Fatty McGee

Let's get the graduation rates of a full class in before we start patting ourselves on the back too much.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

lefty08

Holy shot, it's the same buckshot repeated over and over in here. And it's by the same dozen or so posters
Ambushing  every ducking thread on this site. Its really getting too much for fans like me. Something needs to be done here and quick

As for the OP, I agree completely. Fans who truly care about the university see all aspects of the program. T-shirt fans who wanna rib their third cousin from Alabama about how good the Hogs are will never be satisfied

Please stop these guys from abusing every ducking thread here, if u need a list I can have one sent to you in about 5 minutes
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Steef

North Carolina Tar heels are in real trouble because of academic infractions. The NCAA is coming after them and the NCAA prefers to sleepwalk these days.

Florida State may be involved in covering up evidence in a rape case. Ditto for Vanderbilt.

The Louisiana Grand Jury has to keep LSU starters out of prison so they'll be ready on game day.

We...OTOH...are going to follow a different path. A classic path.

We're still a school, first.

A school of uncommon men, on the team and on the staff.

And when we do start winning again, the sporting world will see that selling your soul isn't as necessary as they thought.

Thank you, Bret & Co.

Thank you, Muskogee and Okla and Wilson,  for trying to maintain that same standard here.

Steef

Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on October 25, 2014, 05:25:39 pm
Just win football games please.

You're a Global Moderator. And a classic poster from the Nutt years. People look up to you.

Shame on you.

ShadowTheHedgehog

opineonswine

You his boss?

LJHOG

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: steefhog on October 26, 2014, 05:10:53 pm
North Carolina Tar heels are in real trouble because of academic infractions. The NCAA is coming after them and the NCAA prefers to sleepwalk these days.

Florida State may be involved in covering up evidence in a rape case. Ditto for Vanderbilt.

The Louisiana Grand Jury has to keep LSU starters out of prison so they'll be ready on game day.

We...OTOH...are going to follow a different path. A classic path.

We're still a school, first.

A school of uncommon men, on the team and on the staff.

And when we do start winning again, the sporting world will see that selling your soul isn't as necessary as they thought.

Thank you, Bret & Co.

Thank you, Muskogee and Okla and Wilson,  for trying to maintain that same standard here.
+1 if I could.

People will say, "Just win games, I don't care about anything else" but I guarantee that if the program was put on sanctions and weren't able to participate in bowl games or missed out on a chance at a conference championship, those same fans would be frothing at the mouth demanding to know why the head coach wasn't holding players responsible in the classroom.

With CBB, we're never going to have to worry about that stuff. Winning will come eventually, we are still starting underclassmen or inexperienced upperclassmen at key positions. Recruiting, development, and experience will translate into wins.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

gmarv

nice post op. if all you got is glory in 19-22 year olds winning football games.
and don,t care if its done the right way then maybe you should convert to being a auburn or fsu fan,just saying theres schools you can pull for that are doing it the way it seems to be the way some want it done.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 26, 2014, 05:32:31 pm

With CBB, we're never going to have to worry about that stuff.

You always have to worry about that stuff when dealing with 18-22 year old young men.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

DoctorSusscrofa

I wasn't aware that you were personally losing games. Personally, I think these young men and coaches are trying hard and working a lot harder on winning than any of us are.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Steef

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 26, 2014, 06:08:27 pm
I wasn't aware that you were personally losing games. Personally, I think these young men and coaches are trying hard and working a lot harder on winning than any of us are.

Boom!

+1