Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vent thread

Started by Lanny, October 25, 2014, 07:34:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rljjr

Certainly not learning how to finish a half this way.

rljjr

Frustrated with the second half effort by our special teams and offense. Play calling is suspect again, too. I mean if we don't want to learn how to finish the game why don't we just walk to midfield and ask UAB if they want to call it? We're coaching bad habits this way. It also doesn't help that our fans left by the thousands at halftime.

Hogfan1660

WTH????? Why is the crap would you try to catch that punt like that????? Freaking pathetic!

Ex-Trumpet

Do we have anyone actually coaching on special teams?  If so, he is completely ineffective as a coach.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Randy Cavender

We shouldn't be trying to catch punts!

fanofthehog

By far the worst special teams play that I have seen - unreal!!!

rljjr

A total second half failure. We're going to get curb stomped at MSU if we have  a garbage effort like this. Abandon all hope ye who root for Hogs.

Atlhogfan1

We had this issue multiple seasons under Nutt.  I remember when we were thrilled when the staff put Rossi Morreale in and he could catch a punt.  Didn't even consider having a threat to return it.  Just catching it was enough. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

This game reminds me of the overweight 5th grader shoving down all the third graders and laughing about it.

lookawayquick

Unimpressed with the 2nd half focus. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rljjr on October 25, 2014, 02:10:00 pm
A total second half failure. We're going to get curb stomped at MSU if we have  a garbage effort like this. Abandon all hope ye who root for Hogs.

3rd Team Defense has been in since early 4th qtr but okay maybe that's who will start the game next week
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rljjr on October 25, 2014, 01:59:29 pm
Certainly not learning how to finish a half this way.

So how would you resolve it by not allowing the 2nd & 3rd string playing time?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

lookawayquick

The real Hogules

Quote from: Tomhog™ on October 25, 2014, 02:05:17 pm
We don't have the smartest punt returners.

At least the guy who dropped the last punt hasn't had an entire season worth of punt returns to get his $h!p together!
Bench DJ Dean from ST's!!!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

WashUhog6

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 25, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
3rd Team Defense has been in since early 4th qtr but okay maybe that's who will start the game next week
I don't think anyone is upset about the defensive performance. It's the special teams meltdown that's eerily similar to the same crap that's been losing games for us the past few weeks, along with the rep for only being able to play half of a game.

This game is meaningless by itself, but when combined with everything else it's discouraging to see that the team cannot play a clean game even against UAB.

lumphog

YOU guys are FUNNY!!!!! Da Da  Da Da Dunt Da Dunt  Da Dunt Can't Smite This

Atlhogfan1

Enjoy this win.

We still had slow developing pass plays that a good SEC defense would have defended well if not destroyed for a big loss.  Our backs made runs that would not have been made against most SEC defenses.  They played a backup qb who when he didn't oversee a busted play was throwing into coverage.  Our STs was a disaster except for that FG kick(that was a pretty kick).  Plenty to be concerned about and signs we will still struggle when we go back into SEC play.

Be happy we had no injuries to our key players especially since so many played into the second half. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tophawg19

lumphog if you can't see that special teams is horrible then you didn't watch the game . they are killing us . that was the common factor in every loss this season. We play on a long field while our opponents have shorter fields . missed field goals , poor kick off's . short punts , no return game at all
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

aar0n

We need a dedicated special teams coach/guru, the money it takes shouldn't matter.  Segrest has his hands full coaching the D-line, and I think both units are suffering because of it.  Is there some sort of rule that you can only have so many coaches?  Why else would you have anybody splitting duties between two important facets of the game?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Only complaints are the special teams break downs and the lack of focus after Tretola's TD pass. The ST coach's reaction should have been audible on tv after the first punt catch fiasco, and should have been palpable to everyone in the state of Arkansasafter the second one.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Blutoblutarsky

We didn't look much better than last week. Same results will happen back in SEC play. Atleast 4 wins this year is better than 3. Progress.

lefty08

I'll take the win. That's 1 more than we had all of last year with 4 to play
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

CDBHawg

Quote from: 12247 on October 25, 2014, 02:10:46 pm
This game reminds me of the overweight 5th grader shoving down all the third graders and laughing about it.

Concern should set in when it doesn't. Until then, all is well.

Baller

What defense was in in the 3rd quarter?  It didn't start out 2nd string, did it?

BrianWPS!!

Only vent about this crappy cupcake is this is pointless. Mississippi state is going to destroy this offensive line. Oh god do I hope I'm wrong.

Hogsfan1981

Did not watch the game...had stuff to do. Mow my grass...you know stuff.

JenksHawg

Anyone else not a fan of the new "Game Thread/Vent Thread" format?  Can we go back to the multiple threads format?  Also - like right now, game's over, so where do we post new topics?  Game Thread? Monday Morning Quarterback?  It's confusing to me and kills any post-game commentary, in my opinion. 

NVRyield

Quote from: JenksHawg on October 25, 2014, 03:16:06 pm
Anyone else not a fan of the new "Game Thread/Vent Thread" format?  Can we go back to the multiple threads format?  Also - like right now, game's over, so where do we post new topics?  Game Thread? Monday Morning Quarterback?  It's confusing to me and kills any post-game commentary, in my opinion.

I don't know what the intentions are, but the result will be a cleaner board with less vents.

Hogfan1660

It prevents spewing of the truf..... and you know that we can't speak the truf!!! It will be open to posting by tomorrow after all the booze wears off.

redeye

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 25, 2014, 02:10:28 pm
We had this issue multiple seasons under Nutt.  I remember when we were thrilled when the staff put Rossi Morreale in and he could catch a punt.  Didn't even consider having a threat to return it.  Just catching it was enough.

Yea, and it wasn't excusable back then, either.

aar0n

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on October 25, 2014, 02:40:49 pm
We didn't look much better than last week. Same results will happen back in SEC play. Atleast 4 wins this year is better than 3. Progress.

I think we end with 6 wins, 2 more coming from LSU and Missouri.  I'll take double our win total from last season and a bowl away from this season and be happy happy happy. 

I think next year we have an opportunity to add on another 3 wins, with all the roster turnover (particularly QBs) in the west.  We have a good opportunity to start 5-0, getting UTEP, Toledo, and TTech at home to start the season, with A&M in Dallas, and on the road at Tennessee, who loses their QB Worley.  We probably lose at Bama, but they lose their starting QB Sims, so who knows.  Then we get Nick Marshall-less Auburn at home.  Auburn will be a giant question mark going into the season without Marshall's big play ability, although as we know his "backup" is a better passer.  We then get Tennessee-Martin at home, obviously a win.  Then we have to go to Ole Miss who will be without Bo Wallace, another question mark.  That defense should still be good, however.  We then have to go to Death Valley and take on an LSU team that will most likely be much improved over this year, but we ALWAYS give them a game.  We get Miss St. at home without their (most likely) heisman winning, game changer QB. I see them dropping back down to usual Miss St level after he leaves.  We get a mediocre Mizzou team that loses 7 starting seniors at home to close out the season.

The way I see it we have 4 definite wins in OOC, and a decent chance at wins against Tennessee, A&M, Miss St, and Missouri.  50/50 games are LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss.  The only definite loss I figure is at Alabama, we never play well there.  This could all change based on the play of the QBs that take over at Tennessee, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Miss St.  It definitely sets up for a damn good season, facing 5 of 8 SEC teams on our schedule breaking in new QBs. 

redeye

Well, I have no interest in reading 50 threads complaining about our struggle to field punts, so I'm fine with it.  Hogville gets stupid on game days and you can't let stupid go unchecked.

hoghearted

I will be dang happy with 2 more wins and a possible bowl appearance.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

aar0n

I like it quite a bit better than some idiot with 2 posts starting a new thread every 2 seconds about every little thing that happens.  I guarantee you there would've been 4+ threads alone started on the Tretola trick play, the kick return TD, and each of the muffed punts. Each of them containing one sentence in the OP, like - Subject: "anther muffed punt" Content: "specul teams sux!!"

vandybuff

Quote from: hoghearted on October 25, 2014, 03:29:57 pm
I will be dang happy with 2 more wins and a possible bowl appearance.
absolutely!  This is win 4 with one-third of the season remaining ... last year's total was 3.  You should be proud!
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Science Fiction Greg

lol at insinuating there isn't clear, tangible improvement from last year already.  Even you win total only goofballs have to admit that 4>3.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

DeltaHog82

Dear 8 pound newborn baby jesus, could you please tell CBB to not put punt returners in the game and just let it bounce!

Ex-Trumpet

1st team offense.  Defense is why we even won this game!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ironhawg

Is Segrest in charge of special teams now?  If so I think we are seeing why the Eagles fired him as their special teams coach.

Hogfly

Special teams... atrocious.

That's probably where I'm more disappointed in CBB than anywhere else. In his style of football, the STs absolutely MUST be a strength. You need an excellent field goal kicker at the end of the game because you know that driving the field for a touchdown with this offense whenever teams are in prevent D with less than a minute to go isn't likely. So you absolutely must be able to make field goals from a distance.

We're going to get into knockdown drag punching matches where the field position game is crucial, and so you need to have an absolutely solid punter who can pin folks back and reverse the field position game with long boomers on bad offensive possessions.

And you need to be able to cover on kickoffs and punts for the same field position reasons.

With an offense like Gus or BP or whoever, the special teams play isn't nearly as important. But with CBB's system it will (and already has) absolutely cost us games. He's got to get that aspect of his team under control.

Randy Johnson

No vent needed at this time.