Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida's next Coach?

Started by Augustus, October 24, 2014, 09:16:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Just for gits & shiggles...

Any idea on who Florida's next Coach might be?

I've seen Finebaum mention Jim Mora (UCLA) as a solid possibility, and that makes good sense.

Some have mentioned Dabo Swinney, which I can somewhat see; but then again, maybe not. He hasn't beat South Carolina in 5 years.

Dark Horses? Possibly Gundy, Petrino, or Sumlin?

Petrino has a HUGE buyout at Louisville ($10 Million). But Florida has the pockets to cover that; and despite Petrino's "I'm back home, and I'm staying here" statements... I'm not sure he denies another shot at the SEC?  It wouldn't be the 1st time he's jumped ship after 1 year.

Sumlin? Out of left field, I know. But Sumlin only has a $5 Million buyout, and in my mind Florida is still a better program than A&M (I'll admit, A&M has grown up the last 3 years).

But depending on how this season turns out for Sumlin/A&M, the luster may start wearing off? Florida's facilities are equal to or better than A&M's, no? The SEC-East is a much easier conference to get to Atlanta in?  And Florida is a very fertile recruiting ground also, and I'm sure Sumlin could still recruit Texas.

And... I'm not 100%, but I think Sumlin's non-compete clause still focuses on Big12 schools (I think at the time A&M was still worried about Texas going after him, once Mack Brown was gone)? As opposed to SEC-West or SEC altogether? After his salary increase, I haven't been able to find anything about changes to his non-compete clause.

Gundy? Impressive career at OSU, but not ever able to get it done.

I can't see Florida's AD hiring another Assistant Coach/ Coordinator, and making the same mistake he did with Muschamp.  I think Jeremy Foley hires an established Head Coach, to finish his legacy as Florida's AD.

Thoughts?

Big Papa Satan

Augustus

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on October 24, 2014, 09:41:03 pm
Dan Mullen...

Yeah, I dunno... I know Florida fans have gone all in with the hype over Mullen this season, but I'm not sure Mullen makes the jump.

With this season, he has bought himself a nice salary increase + another 4-5 years at Miss State.

I don't see him giving that up, to go to Florida, where the fans can (and will) turn on him just as quickly as they starting fawning over him. If he averages 7,8,9 wins a season... He doesn't last long at Florida.

hog.goblin

Don't think they offer Petrino, Swinney, or Sumlin.  Gundy and Mora are more likely.

Ignoring buyouts, because I don't know what his is, I could see a run at bringing Mullen back.  Possibly Steve Addazio if he finishes strong at BC

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Augustus on October 24, 2014, 09:49:47 pm
Yeah, I dunno... I know Florida fans have gone all in with the hype over Mullen this season, but I'm not sure Mullen makes the jump.

With this season, he has bought himself a nice salary increase + another 4-5 years at Miss State.

I don't see him giving that up, to go to Florida, where the fans can (and will) turn on him just as quickly as they starting fawning over him. If he averages 7,8,9 wins a season... He doesn't last long at Florida.

True, but think of what his offense can do with Florida's talent.

We've seen it before.

Hogfan46

Dark horse candidate.....Bob Stoops.

Augustus

Quote from: Hogfan46 on October 24, 2014, 10:31:52 pm
Dark horse candidate.....Bob Stoops.

HA! Yeah, that's another one... that'd be funny after all his talk about the SEC recently.

Wait... seems like another Coach was talking about the SEC, before he got took a jobby job in the SEC?  ;)

Break & Run

Dark DARK Horse candidate, and why not?

Urban Meyer...you know, his heart is better. Lol
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

870hogfan

tophawg19

with the foundation he is building here and the reputation he's getting for doing things the '' right way'' i look for CBB  to get some offers next season. i look for Florida to go after a wide open offensive coach to bring back the fun and gun style fans loved so much.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

3kgthog

CBB isn't getting an offer from anyone anytime soon. No one hires winless in the SEC coaches. I swear this "right way" business is clouding what fanbases at bigger and better programs care about more and that's wins.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Augustus on October 24, 2014, 09:16:27 pm
Just for gits & shiggles...

Any idea on who Florida's next Coach might be?

I've seen Finebaum mention Jim Mora (UCLA) as a solid possibility, and that makes good sense.

Some have mentioned Dabo Swinney, which I can somewhat see; but then again, maybe not. He hasn't beat South Carolina in 5 years.

Dark Horses? Possibly Gundy, Petrino, or Sumlin?

Petrino has a HUGE buyout at Louisville ($10 Million). But Florida has the pockets to cover that; and despite Petrino's "I'm back home, and I'm staying here" statements... I'm not sure he denies another shot at the SEC?  It wouldn't be the 1st time he's jumped ship after 1 year.

Sumlin? Out of left field, I know. But Sumlin only has a $5 Million buyout, and in my mind Florida is still a better program than A&M (I'll admit, A&M has grown up the last 3 years).

But depending on how this season turns out for Sumlin/A&M, the luster may start wearing off? Florida's facilities are equal to or better than A&M's, no? The SEC-East is a much easier conference to get to Atlanta in?  And Florida is a very fertile recruiting ground also, and I'm sure Sumlin could still recruit Texas.

And... I'm not 100%, but I think Sumlin's non-compete clause still focuses on Big12 schools (I think at the time A&M was still worried about Texas going after him, once Mack Brown was gone)? As opposed to SEC-West or SEC altogether? After his salary increase, I haven't been able to find anything about changes to his non-compete clause.

Gundy? Impressive career at OSU, but not ever able to get it done.

I can't see Florida's AD hiring another Assistant Coach/ Coordinator, and making the same mistake he did with Muschamp.  I think Jeremy Foley hires an established Head Coach, to finish his legacy as Florida's AD.

Thoughts?

Foley has been known to roll the dice a few times and hire an unproven or up and comer. I like that he will not be pigeon holed. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Atlhogfan1

Some off the radar suggestions:

Doc Holliday - Former assistant and recruiting coordinator under Meyer at Florida.  Won 10 games at Marshall last season and is 8-0 this season. 

Chadd Morris - OC at Clemson. 

Kyle Whittingham - Asst under Meyer at Utah before Meyer left for Florida. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Augustus

Quote from: Barman91 on October 25, 2014, 12:51:47 am
Who cares?

Well, WE will care the next time we play Florida, right? Whether it's regular season or in Atlanta? (and, yes... Bret will get us to Atlanta)