Previous topic - Next topic

mhuff

I am not sure about this ,but I think the best five might be :

Kingsley
Portis
Miles
Madden
Durham

Perhaps Qualls might be just as good as Miles. I like Miles athleticism ,but that describes Qualls as well. Thinking about fast break line up and a press after made basket.

azhog10

If this is just about pressing I'm gonna go
Durham
Madden
Qualls
Miles
Portis

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on October 24, 2014, 07:55:16 pm
If this is just about pressing I'm gonna go
Durham
Madden
Qualls
Miles
Portis

I was hoping you would respond. Certainly that's a faster line up. I wanted a strong rebounding presence. I also thought Kingsley and Portis are fast enough to beat the defense back down court should the press or fast break not work. With both of them in the line up, there will be no free lunch.

Off topic .... but I don't care if Portis , Kingsley , or Thompson ...... any two of these are on the floor against a zone. They all pass well.

-Blu

Strictly pressing....

Kingsley
Williams
Miles
Qualls
Madden

Probably never see that lineup for obvious reasons.... but have you Kingsley back to protect rim.  Have Madden at Half Court, Williams guard the inbound, Miles and Qualls as the other 2 in their back court and your talking about some length and speed, that's going to be hard for teams to break the press.

k.c.hawg

I have to have some Qualls in this unit.

Notes: Measured 6'6 (in shoes) 198 lbs, with a 6'11.5 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

azhog10

October 25, 2014, 10:18:35 am #5 Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:41:05 am by azhog10
Quote from: mhuff on October 24, 2014, 08:11:03 pm
I was hoping you would respond. Certainly that's a faster line up. I wanted a strong rebounding presence. I also thought Kingsley and Portis are fast enough to beat the defense back down court should the press or fast break not work. With both of them in the line up, there will be no free lunch.

Off topic .... but I don't care if Portis , Kingsley , or Thompson ...... any two of these are on the floor against a zone. They all pass well.
This isn't my starting group but if I need to press this is my group. You might could rotate out Portis for Kingsley but I like the speed over length. Plus Bobby really struggled to defend last year over anything else. I think he will be improved as that is always one of the harder things to pickup for a freshmen. But for a pressing group you need the speed and as many versatile players you can get. Outside of Durham any of the other guys can guard almost any position on the floor. Not bad at all.

mhuff

October 25, 2014, 10:20:59 am #6 Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:35:28 am by mhuff
Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 08:57:53 pm
Strictly pressing....

Kingsley
Williams
Miles
Qualls
Madden

Probably never see that lineup for obvious reasons.... but have you Kingsley back to protect rim.  Have Madden at Half Court, Williams guard the inbound, Miles and Qualls as the other 2 in their back court and your talking about some length and speed, that's going to be hard for teams to break the press.

Great selection..... however, I do not have a lot of faith in Williams.  Ball skills are weak and turns the ball over too much..... He does have long arms though. I would also mix it up and not guard the inbounds pass periodically. That way you would have a double team on one of the players who is to receive the inbounds pass.

I have more faith in Kingsley defensively than Portis. This is not a slight of Portis. I just think Kingsley is really improving very rapidly on both ends of the court. I am hoping both will take it to the hole aggressively on offense this year. If they play offensively together, I think we are in for a treat. I mean standing up and WPS at the tv type of excitement.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hawginbigd1

Kingsley>Portis from an open court defensive set, Madden is not great defender either.

mhuff

October 29, 2014, 03:03:22 pm #8 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:06:34 pm by mhuff
Quote from: drrowdy on October 28, 2014, 09:15:54 pm
Solely on press, if anyone leaves Williams out you haven't watched enough.

Williams on ball, Qualls and madden up top, from what I've heard Miles sounds great for middle, and Moses protecting the rim. That is not an optimal lineup for anything but pressing late in the game for a turnover.

Williams does a good job rebounding ;however, He has poor ball handling skills. This pressing doesn't have to come late in a game. It could come the last five minutes before half or after a good offensive run. It is a let's put our foot on their throat strategy that separates the men from the boys.

I like Blu's line up , but without Williams. I want to put Durham in ,but I am not sure of his defensive abilities. I also like the following line up if we are not going to full court press. I want to see a defense in a half court set that pushes the defense out on the floor higher. This defense can trap or if nothing else force the other team to make longer passes.

Kingsley
Qualls
Miles
Madden
Durham

I just want a defense that will ruin the other team's day. It also keeps the crowd into the game instead of wanting to leave at half time. I am a bitter end fan ,but many aren't. Whether it's a home game or especially a road game, you have to take it to em. Otherwise the officials on the road are going to stick it to the away team at any opportunity.

Big Nasty 34

I would probably go
Durham
Qualls
Miles
Williams
Kingsley