Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting line up

Started by WooPig90, October 24, 2014, 04:13:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WooPig90

As basketball season is upon us, I was just seeing what your guys thoughts are on who Mike will put out there for our starting lineup?

GuvHog

October 24, 2014, 04:23:21 pm #1 Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:35:44 pm by GuvHog
IMHO

Kingsley (6'10")
Portis (6'11")
Qualls (6'6")
Madden (6'5")
Durham (6'1")

Second Unit:
Beard (6'0")
Bell (6'3")
Harris (6'6")
Williams (6'8")
Thompson (6'9")

Leftovers:
Babb (6'5")
Myles (6'7")
Watkins (6'3")
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Modsquad24

You got it all right except it will be harris the 5th yr sr, with kingsley coming off the bench, book it.

The_Iceman

This is what I think Mike will do, not what we should do....

Starters:
Durham (6'1")
Madden (6'5")
Qualls (6'6")
Harris (6'6")
Portis (6'11")

Second Unit:
Beard (6'0")
Bell (6'3")
Miles (6'7")
Williams (6'8")
Kingsley (6'10")

Leftovers:
Babb (6'5")
Thompson (6'9")
Watkins (6'3")

GuvHog

Quote from: Modsquad24 on October 24, 2014, 04:25:47 pm
You got it all right except it will be harris the 5th yr sr, with kingsley coming off the bench, book it.

Harris is a Forward which is Portis's position. Kingsley is a true Center as is Thompson.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2014, 04:38:04 pm
Harris is a Forward which is Portis's position. Kingsley is a true Center as is Thompson.

Don't you know, Mike doesn't have true positions. Its all guards and forwards.

/inb4HA

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 24, 2014, 04:51:57 pm

/inb4HA

It doesn't surprise me that you think like GuvHog does.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

GuvHog

/inb4HA

True, but last year during the non-conference tournament the Hogs played in, Mike wouldn't put Portis and Kingsley on the floor together and it hurt the team. I don't believe he'll make that mistake again. Now, with another Big man coming off of the bench (Thompson), it makes it even more likely IMHO.

-Blu

Starters:
Durham (6'1")
Madden (6'5")
Qualls (6'6")
Harris (6'6")
Portis (6'11")

Second Unit:
Babb (6'5")
Bell (6'3")
Miles (6'7")
Williams (6'8")
Kingsley (6'10")

Leftovers:
Beard (6'0")
Thompson (6'9")
Watkins (6'3")

I think Babb will play before Beard.  He's bigger, more athletic, and better defender.  I've heard nothing but good stuff about him so far.  CMA said he's a guy that just does a lot of things very well.  Also, heard from some practice reports that both he and Bell have been working a lot with the ball in their hands.  I'm not saying Beard won't play, but I don't think he initially plays as much as people originally thought,

Also a lot of people are thinking Ky won't play any 1 at all, he's still going to play there some, just not as much as last year.  Same thing with the Portis/Kingsley combo, just because Kingsley doesn't initially start, doesn't mean you won't see them on the court more together. 

Big Nasty 34

I think Harris starts with Kingsley off bench. Harris will probably pick up a couple cheap fouls meaning BP and Moses play a lot together anyway.

Then, give BP a break with either Harris or Miles. Some Thompson sprinkled in there at times.

Danny J

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

For at least the first 1/3 of the season unless something unforeseen happens. CMA has shown to start more experienced players in his system before first year players as long as he has that option. I just don't see Bell coming off the bench and IMHO I think he will be right up there with Portis in PPG and MPG.

mhuff

/inb4HA

If we are to win, MA better get a new game then. It is obvious that PF's that are too short killed us every year he has been here.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on October 24, 2014, 06:51:34 pm
If we are to win, MA better get a new game then. It is obvious that PF's that are too short killed us every year he has been here.
Yep and I will also note while speaking of size that Portis is now officially 6'11"

downsouthhawg72

If Portis is starting at Center & Harris at PF & Kingsley is not starting with Portis at center then we will not be as good. There is no reason to not start Kingsley & Portis together. Harris is not our best PF or SF. He needs to come off the bench. He can't jump & don't have no inside moves.

1St
C- Kinglsey
F- Portis
F- Qualls
G- Madden
G- Durham

2nd
C- Thompson
F- Harris
F- Miles
G- Bell
G- Beard
DownSouthHawg

choppedporkextrasauce

And Mike says it's not who starts but who finishes.

-Blu

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 24, 2014, 07:08:56 pm
He can't jump & don't have no inside moves.

Now you may could argue Alandise doesn't have the best post moves, but neither does Portis or Kingsley as of yet.  But, jumping are you kidding me?  For his size and weight he's extremely athletic.  He's been on sportscenter with his dunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtRE7s0xRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjNa6jhcjo

And my personal favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_bPxXTHuw (5:25 mark)

downsouthhawg72

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 07:43:27 pm
Now you may could argue Alandise doesn't have the best post moves, but neither does Portis or Kingsley as of yet.  But, jumping are you kidding me?  For his size and weight he's extremely athletic.  He's been on sportscenter with his dunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtRE7s0xRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjNa6jhcjo

And my personal favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_bPxXTHuw (5:25 mark)

All that is good & dandy & he had a running start everytime he jumped in those. His standing vertical sucks & that's what he needs down low. He don't have that. Kingsley & Portis is about 4 to 5 inches taller so they don't have to have that outstanding vertical that Harris has to have because he's 6'6". But like I said, he can't jump or have no post moves. I can jump higher if I have a running start, anybody can. But my vertical sucks, just like Harris Vertical sucks. All those videos shows him dunking with a running start. Not with his back to the basket jumping like a PF needs to do. To be honest with you. I haven't seen the Alandis Harris that beat us at Verizon Arena yet.
DownSouthHawg

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I'm looking forward to watching Portis and Kingsley.....pun intended.

Rock me
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HF#1

I'll throw one out there after I watch them practice in Vilonia on November 2nd.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

-Blu

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 24, 2014, 08:10:18 pm
All that is good & dandy & he had a running start everytime he jumped in those. His standing vertical sucks & that's what he needs down low. He don't have that. Kingsley & Portis is about 4 to 5 inches taller so they don't have to have that outstanding vertical that Harris has to have because he's 6'6". But like I said, he can't jump or have no post moves. I can jump higher if I have a running start, anybody can. But my vertical sucks, just like Harris Vertical sucks. All those videos shows him dunking with a running start. Not with his back to the basket jumping like a PF needs to do. To be honest with you. I haven't seen the Alandis Harris that beat us at Verizon Arena yet.

I'm not sold on Alandise as the starter either, but come on man, your trying to say the dude can't jump.... dude is dunking on Johnny O'Bryant III.  He can jump straight up as well, I've been to practice and scrimmages in the prior 2 years he was here and seen him jump. He's gotten the ball and done a turnaround dunk flat footed, he doesn't struggle with that.   I remember his first time here at PTAP he was killing it in the dunk contest.    Now, you want to talk about can't jump, I love some Bobby Portis, but man... that's what you call not being able to jump.

And FWIW I've heard nothing but good things about Alandise at practice this year so far, I haven't been able to catch any, but on another board there's a guy that has been to several and always gives the reports.  He should be much improved this year.  You have to take into account he was adjusting from playing in Conference USA to the SEC, that's a huge difference.  Kingsley will get his playing time, so no need to worry there, I would be surprised if he wasn't playing 18-22 MPG or somewhere around that area.

Hogpkins

While I'm sure Harris easily out jumps an average guy, I've also always thought he lacked much vertical compared to other guys we had on the court.

-Blu

Quote from: Hogpkins on October 24, 2014, 09:35:10 pm
While I'm sure Harris easily out jumps an average guy, I've also always thought he lacked much vertical compared to other guys we had on the court.

Think he just looks like he can't jump, he's deceptively athletic.  He's easily top 3 or 4 on our team as far as hops and athleticism.

1.Qualls
2.Williams
3.Miles
4.Harris

Nobody else is even close except maybe Kingsley, but he's not a guy that going to wow you with his athletic ability. Half our guards can't even dunk.  Madden is just 1 inch shorter than Harris and weighs ALOT less and can barely dunk. 

GuvHog

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 09:57:36 pm
Think he just looks like he can't jump, he's deceptively athletic.  He's easily top 3 or 4 on our team as far as hops and athleticism.

1.Qualls
2.Williams
3.Miles
4.Harris

Nobody else is even close except maybe Kingsley, but he's not a guy that going to wow you with his athletic ability. Half our guards can't even dunk.  Madden is just 1 inch shorter than Harris and weighs ALOT less and can barely dunk. 

I'm not concerned about Madden's jumping ability. It's far more important that he nails 3 point shots on a consistent basis.

mhuff

October 25, 2014, 10:52:00 am #23 Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:13:35 am by mhuff

1.Qualls
2.Williams
3.Miles
4.Harris

Blu, I would respectfully ask you to compare apples to apples when comparing Kingsley to other players. He does wow me when compared to other centers. How many centers can't guard anyone. If my memory serves me right Kingsley has played many sports which translates to his ability to move his feet. Ask yourself if he is athletic next time he swats the ball 10 rows into the stands.  Naturally he will not be as fast as a guard or SF ,but I am really impressed by the impact he would have in the line up.

Madden should take what the defense gives him and be ready to dump a pass off down low if he can't take it all the way. He is doing a better job of dribbling to the hole with his head up rather than down. I have been watching him since high school. He would drive hell bent for leather to the basket and often times get packed or force a bad shot. He would have been better off stopping and shooting a short pass or dumping it off. If the defense gives you the lane, you take it to the hole. If not, you do the aforementioned. Use your mind's eye to remember all of our guards who tried unsuccessfully to take it to the hole. I will give it to Madden that he is not afraid to get in there and mix it up on the boards. I am thinking Beard may be a better candidate to take it to the hole..... Madden is kinda slight of build.

Quote from: GuvHog on October 25, 2014, 09:27:31 am
I'm not concerned about Madden's jumping ability. It's far more important that he nails 3 point shots on a consistent basis.

When Madden plays with confidence staying within the game plan and what he does well, he is a completely different player than when he doesn't.  The good news is he really needs to have a good season to have any chance at a pro career whether it be here or overseas.  He'll be given the chance to do so - he's got all the tools - he needs to prove he can be consistently mentally tough.

I believe he will
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on October 25, 2014, 10:52:00 am
Blu, I would respectfully ask you to compare apples to apples when comparing Kingsley to other players. He does wow me when compared to other centers. How many centers can't guard anyone. If my memory serves me right Kingsley has played many sports which translates to his ability to move his feet. Ask yourself if he is athletic next time he swats the ball 10 rows into the stands.  Naturally he will not be as fast as a guard or SF ,but I am really impressed by the impact he would have in the line up.

Madden should take what the defense gives him and be ready to dump a pass off down low if he can't take it all the way. He is doing a better job of dribbling to the hole with his head up rather than down. I have been watching him since high school. He would drive hell bent for leather to the basket and often times get packed or force a bad shot. He would have been better off stopping and shooting a short pass or dumping it off. If the defense gives you the lane, you take it to the hole. If not, you do the aforementioned. Use your mind's eye to remember all of our guards who tried unsuccessfully to take it to the hole. I will give it to Madden that he is not afraid to get in there and mix it up on the boards. I am thinking Beard may be a better candidate to take it to the hole..... Madden is kinda slight of build.

Mhuff, I was just strictly talking about "hops".  Kingsley is a great player, I'm really looking forward to him, and he is most certainly athletic for a 6'10 guy, nobody is debating that.

Maybe I didn't articulate myself well on the point I was trying to make.  When I say he doesn't "wow" you with his athleticism I meant he's not a guy that's going to be on sportscenter with his dunking and leaping ability, or a guy that just gets everybody in the arena to jump up and be amazed at how high he jumped being 6'10.  Harris on the otherhand is 6'6 240, he can "Wow" you with how athletic he is at that size, he's been on sportcenter twice and one of his dunks was #1.  He's had dunks where everybody in the arena has went crazy.  I watched him at PTAP during his redshirt year and he was "wowing" everybody with how high he could jump being that size.

CDBHawg

Durham/Beard
Madden/Bell
Qualls/Williams
Harris/Miles
Portis/Kingsley

Babb I think will play some. Thompson I'm not sure about.

Is this our last year with Portis?

I hope not...

gmarv

when ya,ll start listing and compairing this kid to that kid. it just makes me go wow we have a bunch of talented kids, were gonna have the best team in many moons. I can,t wait wps

jry04

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2014, 04:23:21 pm
IMHO

Kingsley (6'10")
Portis (6'11")
Qualls (6'6")
Madden (6'5")
Durham (6'1")

Second Unit:
Beard (6'0")
Bell (6'3")
Harris (6'6")
Williams (6'8")
Thompson (6'9")

Leftovers:
Babb (6'5")
Myles (6'7")
Watkins (6'3")
There isn't a "Myles" on the team.

Keaton Miles is going to get plenty of playing time. He is a very good defender. You don't start as many games as he did as a freshman for a NCAAT in the Big East if you don't have talent.

popcornhog

Portis is 6'11?!

I thought 6'10 was even an overstatement.
WPS

popcornhog

Some of it's gonna change game to game depending on matchups and how the young guys are coming along.

Durham or Beard or Madden
Madden or Bell
Qualls
Harris or Portis
Portis or Kingsley

Miles
Williams
Babb
Thompson
Watkins
WPS

Danny J

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 06:39:51 pm
Portis is 6'11?!

I thought 6'10 was even an overstatement.
Heard Rick say he was measured at 6'11" which is I am sure with shoes. So he has grown a bit.

mhuff

1.Qualls
2.Williams
3.Miles
4.Harris

Sorry Blu, it is a case of unclear reference.... I thought in  the above sentence in bold type that you were referring to Kingsley instead of Harris. Therefore, I was respectfully disagreeing because I had read about Kingsley's sports background. I have just been a fan of Kingsley's work ethic and progress. I was on him when others were saying that he would not contribute much offensively. We're on the same page now.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on October 26, 2014, 07:10:24 pm
Sorry Blu, it is a case of unclear reference.... I thought in  the above sentence in bold type that you were referring to Kingsley instead of Harris. Therefore, I was respectfully disagreeing because I had read about Kingsley's sports background. I have just been a fan of Kingsley's work ethic and progress. I was on him when others were saying that he would not contribute much offensively. We're on the same page now.

No worries man, it happens.

And I'm like with you 1000% on Kingsley/Portis starting together.  I'm not really sold on Harris starting PF, but from reports and from the way CMA has been talking seems like he's going to start there this year. 

Only thing I was doing was just defending Harris' athletic ability.  Kingsley is the player with the most upside, and from what I seen last year he can contribute to more things than Harris can.

popcornhog

Quote from: -Blu on October 26, 2014, 07:21:24 pm
No worries man, it happens.

And I'm like with you 1000% on Kingsley/Portis starting together.  I'm not really sold on Harris starting PF, but from reports and from the way CMA has been talking seems like he's going to start there this year. 

Only thing I was doing was just defending Harris' athletic ability.  Kingsley is the player with the most upside, and from what I seen last year he can contribute to more things than Harris can.

Don't y'all think it is going to depend on the opponent and flow of the season to some extent?
WPS

Quote from: Danny J on October 26, 2014, 06:50:32 pm
Heard Rick say he was measured at 6'11" which is I am sure with shoes. So he has grown a bit.

He looks 7'0 on the court.  He has the softest hands and touch I've seen since Big O

-Blu

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 07:23:55 pm
Don't y'all think it is going to depend on the opponent and flow of the season to some extent?

Oh yea, no doubt man.  We all know CMA will mix up his starters, he'll have 7-8 guys that all start at one time or another, Kingsley should definitely be in that mix.  We're more or less discussing the "main" starting group.  Which last year was Portis, Clarke, Qualls, Madden, Gulley. 

root_hawg

I think it will change as the opponent changes

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on October 26, 2014, 07:31:04 pm
Oh yea, no doubt man.  We all know CMA will mix up his starters, he'll have 7-8 guys that all start at one time or another, Kingsley should definitely be in that mix.  We're more or less discussing the "main" starting group.  Which last year was Portis, Clarke, Qualls, Madden, Gulley. 

Yea , I don't care who starts. I just want to win. We will not reach our fullest potential if Kingsley and Portis are not on the floor together imho. There will be a world of difference if that does not come to fruition. I believe we would have had 2-3 more wins last year if they had been in the line up together. I hope both have gotten stronger and more aggressive offensively. We will take some people to school and play from ahead instead of from behind if I am right. Why not play from  a position of strength rather than half strength. Portis is a PF.

rzrbackramsfan

I wonder if Harris could be pushing qualls for time too. Imagine the rebounding power of durham, madden, Harris, Portis, Kingsley.

Big Nasty 34

Hopefully madden doesn't do something silly again and get suspended and lose his starting spot for a few games.

Hawg Red

Portis, Madden, Qualls, and Harris are assuredly starters. There should just be one guard spot up for grabs in the starting lineup, unless MA wants Qualls to bring some punch off the bench. I'd like to see Durham win that start job to allow Madden to play most of his time off the ball. Obviously, every guard will handle the ball in our offense, but the ball should touch a true point's hands more if we have one. Hoping Durham is just that. I hope to see Bell bring his shooting off the bench. I like having that weapon in the second wave to start the game.

Going into his senior season in HS, I really was hoping Beard would be able to come in right away and play heavily, even start. But that was before I ever knew who Jabril Durham was and I have dialed my expectations back over the last year with Beard. I'm really excited for what Beard and Babb could bring in the future, though. I could see Babb being a Qualls-type surprise nationally. He was a little higher rated in HS, and he might not get much of a chance to contribute this season with so many upperclassmen guards ahead of him, but all the tools are there. I think this kid could be what we all had hoped Rickey Scott would be.

The_Iceman

Anderson on point guard Jabril Durham: "He commands guys to get in the right place." On Anton Beard: "He doesn't back down from anybody."

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 27, 2014, 03:16:22 pm
Anderson on point guard Jabril Durham: "He commands guys to get in the right place." On Anton Beard: "He doesn't back down from anybody."

I sometimes get chills when I think of a potential Malik Monk-Jimmy Whitt-Anton Beard-Nick Babb guard rotation.

poloprince

Durham
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis
$PoLoPrInCe$

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: poloprince on October 27, 2014, 06:33:07 pm
Durham
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

So Madden doesn't start this year, why not?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 27, 2014, 08:14:29 pm
So Madden doesn't start this year, why not?

Well he probably will but he can't handle and create like durham most likely, can't shoot like bell, and can't do a lot that qualls does.

mhuff

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 27, 2014, 08:33:03 pm
Well he probably will but he can't handle and create like durham most likely, can't shoot like bell, and can't do a lot that qualls does.

Actually Madden's shooting stats were better than Bell's. It is easy to get enamored when Bell has a good shooting night. But what happens when he is not on. If you are gonna shoot ,you had better hit. I believe Durham and Madden will outshoot Bell on 2p% and 3p%. Hope I am wrong and Bell lights it up.

-Blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 27, 2014, 08:33:03 pm

I think it's a possibility Madden could come off the bench as well, not likely, but a possibility.  I think if that happens, it means 2 things have happened.

1. Bell has REALLY improved as far as consistency, and CMA feels he's going to be a consistent threat on the offensive end, more so than Madden, and wants to have him in that first wave.

2. Durham is everything we've been hearing about and more, and he's truly a better floor general than Madden.