Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs could run all over UAB........

Started by hogz11, October 24, 2014, 03:27:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

but they shouldn't. Matt & Clint brought this up on the Buzz today and it makes perfect sense. If the Hogs want to, they can run the ball all day against UAB and win by several TD's. Our O Line and RB's could amass 300+ yards rushing if they want to and it wouldn't be that difficult.

But that is precisely why they shouldn't do it. I think the Arkansas offense needs to take this UAB game to work on what it is missing in SEC play. Instead of O Lineman run blocking 85+% of the game, they need to work on pass blocking so hopefully it will help for the 4 game SEC stretch to end the season.

Instead of JWill and Collins running for 100+ yards each, they need to work on chipping defensive lineman so hopefully it will help our pass blocking for SEC play.

And we all know, Brandon Allen needs as much practice as he can get on pretty much all passing plays during game time. I hope somehow that will help him but I'm not holding my breath.

I know a lot of you would say, "Forget that crap and let's run all over them!" But as much of a Hog fan as I am, we just can't do that against SEC opponents. Hogs can run the ball all day on 3rd & 5 to get a first down against UAB & Texas Tech, but they are gonna have to throw for a first down against Ole Miss, LSU, etc.

Maybe in the years to come, this won't be an issue when there is more depth on the team. But the Hogs have to have a serviceable passing game or CBB's scheme is going to have a hard time producing results. I'd much rather see the Hogs win 38-24 and work on the passing game a lot than see them win 62-24 with Brandon Allen only throwing the ball 10 or less times.

HF#1

I think you treat it like an SEC game.  Have a game plan and execute it.  I don't really care what the score ends up being or how we do it.  If you are going to be ground and pound then I want to see ground and pound vs Mississippi State.  If you want to be balanced than work on balance vs UAB and then bring it again with State.

We have things on both sides of the ball we need to work on. 

Defensively, if we have an opportunity at an interception, we need to catch it.  We should have plenty of chances with UAB starting their backup QB. 

Just play our game, whatever it is, and stick with it. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogarusa

UAB isnt so awful that the Hogs can just go out and scrimmage and work on things they are struggling in.  The Hogs OL hasnt been great in run blocking in the SEC.  Missed 2 huge 4th and 1 runs in the 4th quarter/OT.  Do what works, stay healthy, leave with a W and work on weaknesses during the bye week
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogfaniam

You Put the game away before you start experimenting.  Nothing worse than allowing an opponent to hang around too long.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 24, 2014, 03:35:32 pm
UAB isnt so awful that the Hogs can just go out and scrimmage and work on things they are struggling in. 

Do what you need to do to get a decent lead, 21+ if possible, then maybe you can work on some things. I have no idea what their backup is like, but he was the BACKUP for some reason so he probably isn't as good as their starter. They have some good receivers and could hit some big plays.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 24, 2014, 03:35:32 pm
UAB isnt so awful that the Hogs can just go out and scrimmage and work on things they are struggling in.  The Hogs OL hasnt been great in run blocking in the SEC.  Missed 2 huge 4th and 1 runs in the 4th quarter/OT.  Do what works, stay healthy, leave with a W and work on weaknesses during the bye week

Well we do have another opponent before the bye week.  Would be wise to be as prepared as possible going into that game with the probable #1 team in the land.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Kevin

Cornelius & Edwards should play most of the snaps
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HF#1

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 24, 2014, 03:40:51 pm
You Put the game away before you start experimenting.  Nothing worse than allowing an opponent to hang around too long.

Experimenting never works.  Just develop a game plan and go with it. 

HF#1

Quote from: Kevin on October 24, 2014, 03:41:52 pm
Cornelius & Edwards should play most of the snaps

100% agree here.  Those guys catch everything and seem to be efficient route runners.  They can help BA if we keep them on the field.

incHOGnito

Quote from: HF#1 on October 24, 2014, 03:42:54 pm
100% agree here.  Those guys catch everything and seem to be efficient route runners.  They can help BA if we keep them on the field.

They remind me a bit of Wright and Childs.  Although, I think Cornelius may be a bit shiftier than Wright was, but not as elusive as Adams overall.

Hogarusa

Quote from: HF#1 on October 24, 2014, 03:41:40 pm
Well we do have another opponent before the bye week.  Would be wise to be as prepared as possible going into that game with the probable #1 team in the land.

Right. I'm saying a bye week is a good time to work on weaknesses, i prefer Hogs play to their strengths.  Worry about weaknesses away from game time

Hogarusa

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 03:41:18 pm
Do what you need to do to get a decent lead, 21+ if possible, then maybe you can work on some things. I have no idea what their backup is like, but he was the BACKUP for some reason so he probably isn't as good as their starter. They have some good receivers and could hit some big plays.

The backup that is playing against the Hogs was 5/15 for 231 yards and 2 TDs vs Mississippi State.  Pretty crazy stat line

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 24, 2014, 03:50:39 pm
The backup that is playing against the Hogs was 5/15 for 231 yards and 2 TDs vs Mississippi State.  Pretty crazy stat line

Good thing our secondary never allows those type of passes.....
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

rljjr

East Clintwood

Austin Allen needs to get several series.  He's got to get some experience.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Dwight_K_Shrute

Working on a passing game isn't experimenting it's working on a weakness and like the OP said this is a good time to work on it.  People need to get over the fact that UAB played MSU to within 12 the second game of the year. 

UAB also lost to juggernaut FIU by 14 at home and lost on the road to MTSU by 12.  CUSA is weaker than it's every been because many of the decent teams left for the AAC.  Even with that UAB is 5th in their division. 

In their last 4 games they had 12 turnovers and that's with 1 0 turnover game in that mix. 

This won't be as competitive as the NIU game.  I think they should T off every which way, passing, rushing, defense.  Hell the most important thing they could work on this game is special teams.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Melorock089

Also get AC in to get him out of his funk.

nchogg

AUB play Miss State close at the beginning of the season. I kinda agree with the previous post about using this game to practice pass blocking. First get the running game started and then  pass action. In 4th quarter practice eating clock. We have had a lot of success this year with drives eating the clock. We will need that to keep Miss State off the field. And we need a agressive 4th quarter on both offense and defense. No fumbles, interceptions or penalties on our part and I will be happy. If our defense has so takes and we score from them I will be estatic. I'am so excited". Go Hogs!

Fayettechill14

From my UAB Preview: UAB's run defense is statistically worse than Texas Tech's. I'll be upset if we just pound them into the ground. That proves nothing. Both Mississippi State and Ole Miss (next two opponents) are pretty good at stopping the run.

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/10/21/7025033/arkansas-vs-uab-advanced-stats-preview-turn-em-loose-razorbacks

elksnort

Sorry, I skipped the meat of the thread.

Do what it takes to win the damn game first!

Mix the passing in with the running. Just a thought, maybe throw with double TE on first downs.

It appears many posters just want us to develop a plan and operate it.  I agree with the posters who want our weaknesses worked on.  Special Teams, Passing and Austin Allen all need tons of work.  I don't expect any of that to be a point of real concern for this game.

I bet we run over UAB for most of 4 quarters, pass very little and Austin may get a series or two in clean up and he may not throw a pass doing so.

COCHISE

Our o-line has struggled lately and our starting RB is in a slump. I say use this game to get their confidence back in preparation for the remainder of our SEC games. If we're able...run it down their throats.

lahawg1

regi

We threw the ball 85 times the last two games, we don't need to work on passing. No matter how much we work, J Wright, Cobi, Gragg and Adams ain't walking through that door. We pass blocked well the first 5 games, Bama and UGA had the best front 7s we saw all year, pass blocking will be fine. We just need to hammer them any way we can, stay healthy and get ready to go to Starkghanistan. Where we have won 5 of last seven times there.

ballz2thewall

honestly, i hope we don't work on anything in this game.  maybe try some things, but don't work on anything.
The rest of the frog.

code red

Really.....no way.....little ole Ar Kansas can run all over ALABAMA b.  LOL.  PLZ. #0-12 CBB.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: 12247 on October 24, 2014, 05:33:51 pm
It appears many posters just want us to develop a plan and operate it.  I agree with the posters who want our weaknesses worked on.  Special Teams, Passing and Austin Allen all need tons of work.  I don't expect any of that to be a point of real concern for this game.

I bet we run over UAB for most of 4 quarters, pass very little and Austin may get a series or two in clean up and he may not throw a pass doing so.
Austin?  What about Brandon.  Blasphemy!!!!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Danny J

Will be curious to see if Austin gets any reps especially if we are up big early. I think we saw during the UGA game that BA could be hit in the wrong spot again and be knocked out of a game later this season. Austin needs to get some reps in real game action.

Acehawg

Quote from: hogz11 on October 24, 2014, 03:27:55 pm
but they shouldn't. Matt & Clint brought this up on the Buzz today and it makes perfect sense. If the Hogs want to, they can run the ball all day against UAB and win by several TD's. Our O Line and RB's could amass 300+ yards rushing if they want to and it wouldn't be that difficult.

But that is precisely why they shouldn't do it. I think the Arkansas offense needs to take this UAB game to work on what it is missing in SEC play. Instead of O Lineman run blocking 85+% of the game, they need to work on pass blocking so hopefully it will help for the 4 game SEC stretch to end the season.

Instead of JWill and Collins running for 100+ yards each, they need to work on chipping defensive lineman so hopefully it will help our pass blocking for SEC play.

And we all know, Brandon Allen needs as much practice as he can get on pretty much all passing plays during game time. I hope somehow that will help him but I'm not holding my breath.

I know a lot of you would say, "Forget that crap and let's run all over them!" But as much of a Hog fan as I am, we just can't do that against SEC opponents. Hogs can run the ball all day on 3rd & 5 to get a first down against UAB & Texas Tech, but they are gonna have to throw for a first down against Ole Miss, LSU, etc.

Maybe in the years to come, this won't be an issue when there is more depth on the team. But the Hogs have to have a serviceable passing game or CBB's scheme is going to have a hard time producing results. I'd much rather see the Hogs win 38-24 and work on the passing game a lot than see them win 62-24 with Brandon Allen only throwing the ball 10 or less times.

Alternative universe...it will never happen with this staff.  But it's a good idea.