Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abandon the Run Game

Started by Sooie71923, October 23, 2014, 05:09:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooie71923

Question for the wise world of Hogville.

I see and hear lots of talk about "abandoning the run game". 

Is it considereded "abandoning" if the run game is stopped, shutdown, or just not working? 

How can something be abandoned if it's not productive?

We are more effective in the air as the stats show through the last 2 games against top 10 defenses. It seems the OL gets beat and the adjustments are made to stop our run game in the 2nd half. UGA we didn't get going until the 2nd half.

Just something I've noticed.

Baller

Quote from: Sooie71923 on October 23, 2014, 05:09:17 pm
Question for the wise world of Hogville.

I see and hear lots of talk about "abandoning the run game". 

Is it considereded "abandoning" if the run game is stopped, shutdown, or just not working? 

How can something be abandoned if it's not productive?

We are more effective in the air as the stats show through the last 2 games against top 10 defenses. It seems the OL gets beat and the adjustments are made to stop our run game in the 2nd half. UGA we didn't get going until the 2nd half.

Just something I've noticed.

we're more "effective" because we're down 21 points and they're playing soft pass defense to prevent big plays.  IMO

Sooie71923

True.  But if we re down 21 in the 2nd half the run isn't gonna be effective in closing the lead anyways. So again, is it abandoning the run if the run isn't benifitting us?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Look at the first two does of the Georgia game. I think that's what folks are talking about.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Danny J

I don't have a problem at all with either the run or the pass or really any play specifically we run. The issue I have is the timing of when plays are called and the obvious nature of most of the plays we run are simply too predictable.

Sooie71923

Predictable?  It's 50% chance it's either run or pass. It's either run left right or middle.

Saban bases his defense in tendancy and plays percentages. 

The defense stacks the box, run stopped, they know the next play is pass, so on so on.

I'm just sick of hearing how Arkansas always abandons the run yet the box is stacked, it's shutdown, and the Oline can't block.

So in reality the run is never abandoned.

khawg95

2nd offensive series against GA: 1st down pass? If the drive started after a turnover, yes take shot. Run the ball after you get an onside kick. Set up the 2nd quarter meltdown. 2nd half: more shotgun( which BA is better in) soft zone coverage and more GA 2nd teamers.

Danny J

Quote from: Sooie71923 on October 23, 2014, 06:08:15 pm
Predictable?  It's 50% chance it's either run or pass. It's either run left right or middle.

Saban bases his defense in tendancy and plays percentages. 

The defense stacks the box, run stopped, they know the next play is pass, so on so on.

I'm just sick of hearing how Arkansas always abandons the run yet the box is stacked, it's shutdown, and the Oline can't block.

So in reality the run is never abandoned.
I understand and agree with most of that but when we line up in shotgun we pass 95% of the time so I consider that predictable. The problem most people have is we won't/can't take advantage of stacked box formations or blitzes because we don't have a screen game and we really have issues passing to WR's during obvious passing downs. That is a problem I believe will be corrected next year with the addition of better receivers.