Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David Gearhart

Started by trippigs, October 23, 2014, 02:05:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

trippigs

Just announced today that he will head the search committee to find a new SEC Commissioner. Good recognition for Arkansas,

DeltaHog82

Houston Nutt said he's available. LOL

PorkRinds

That means any chance of Long being in consideration is likely gone.

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is very interesting. Jeff Long our AD holds arguably one of the most important/powerful positions in college football, and now the Chancellor has been charged with filling the top spot in the most powerful/important conference in college football.

This somewhat reminds me of when Dick Chaney was put in charge of finding GWB's VP running mate.  He "searched" and "searched" and "searched', and then low and behold Chaney was the running mate.  Now I don't think Gearhart himself will be the next SEC commish but......
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 23, 2014, 02:14:37 pm
This is very interesting. Jeff Long our AD holds arguably one of the most important/powerful positions in college football, and now the Chancellor has been charged with filling the top spot in the most powerful/important conference in college football.

This somewhat reminds me of when Dick Chaney was put in charge of finding GWB's VP running mate.  He "searched" and "searched" and "searched', and then low and behold Chaney was the running mate.  Now I don't think Gearhart himself will be the next SEC commish but......

Don't think there's any chance he choses Long.

Torqued pork

bphi11ips

Payback for Penn Wagers and Mark Curles. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Torqued pork

They're throwing us a bone out of sympathy.

ur

October 23, 2014, 02:38:28 pm #8 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:26:00 pm by ur

Everyone else is busy during bowl season.

razoredge178

We see how well that worked out.....

HF#1

I'd be more worried about Jeff Long jumping ship to another school than I would him being SEC commish... 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

elviscat

I don't think David can count very well, his division had money issues. Like 4.5 million dollars,they don't teach accounting at UA.

moses_007

Quote from: HF#1 on October 23, 2014, 02:45:43 pm
I'd be more worried about Jeff Long jumping ship to another school than I would him being SEC commish... 
Maybe AD at Michigan.

Augustus

If they tap an SEC Athletic Director as the next SEC Commish, I'm thinking Jeremy Foley (Florida).

He's got 20 years experience as AD of Florida, several National Championships across multiple programs (Football, Basketball, and the rest). He serves as the CFO of Florida's UAA (private non-profit corporation that is responsible for the administration and financial management of the Florida Gators sports program).

He has also served on NCAA Division I Management Council, the most powerful group (below the Board of Directors) within the NCAA.

And, Foley has a fairly long list awards and accolades.

Jeff Long is in the throws of program rebuild(s), has not won any "major" Nat'l Championships, and still has to prove whether he can chair a successful College Football Playoff, in it's 1st year.

By the time Long proves whether the Playoff is successful, I think the already-short list for SEC Commish will be even shorter.

Of course, that's assuming that Slive hasn't already been grooming his replacement, the 2nd in charge already at the SEC offices.

ricepig

The next SEC commissioner will not be a sitting AD.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 02:12:26 pm

Yup.  It was probably intended as a signal to that effect so Kong doesn't have to deal with the job speculation on top of running the playoff.

TeufelHog

Just my two cents, but it's probably an acknowledgment to their integrity and how they handled the Petrino situation.

WardamnHOGGLE

wachhog

Puleeze, do not remind us.

edcm1

I was thinking the same thing about this today. Something very odd about this.
NYJMSU !!

3of5-2

Quote from: trippigs on October 23, 2014, 02:05:33 pm
Just announced today that he will head the search committee to find a new SEC Commissioner. Good recognition for Arkansas,
Not impressed, doubt anyone cares that he's associated with Arkansas, except maybe a few Arkansans and some of his Academia buddies.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Torqued pork

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 09:13:13 pm
Not impressed, doubt anyone cares that he's associated with Arkansas, except maybe a few Arkansans and some of his Academia buddies.
It provides another opportunity to pound our integrity drum and that's all we have at the moment.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 09:13:13 pm
Not impressed? Your a dummy

Baller

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on October 23, 2014, 09:31:01 pm

I love it when this happens on message boards.

3of5-2

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on October 23, 2014, 09:31:01 pm
Oh, my mistake, I thought you might have something intelligent to say why you think it's good recognition for Arkansas. Being relevant in the SEC might be good recognition for Arkansas, right now we aren't.

3of5-2

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 23, 2014, 09:26:49 pm
It provides another opportunity to pound our integrity drum and that's all we have at the moment.
How does integrity translate into winning football games, and how long does it take?

Lake City Hog

I'm not sure that success on the field of play will be a primary consideration. I think that CEO type skills and a political savvy would be of more importance. Jeff Long has several qualities that would fit as Commissioner.

I simply cannot understand why some of you refuse to look at the benefits that the University of Arkansas MIGHT enjoy with Long as Commish. If an apparent "outsider" took over we might actually see the state of Alabama diminish just a little in terms of "owning" the SEC.

We might actually see the SEC baseball tournament somewhere besides Hoover. We might actually see the basketball tournament move around a bit. We might see some of the more "traditional powers" get a little LESS favorable treatment in scheduling and such. Promoting from within could very well mean keeping the status quo.

3of5-2

I for one would love for baseball to get out of that dump in Hoover, just don't see it happening.

Joshua Michael Irwin

Looks like Gearhart's Hair Dresser will be the first person to find out who the new SEC Commissioner is.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 23, 2014, 02:16:15 pm
Penn Wagers is the guy.

Only if Marc Curles declines the offer.

Torqued pork

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 09:56:29 pm
How does integrity translate into winning football games, and how long does it take?
You tell me. I don't remember any Hogville obsession with integrity when we hired Petrino and he had plenty of baggage already.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: moses_007 on October 23, 2014, 06:41:34 pm
Maybe AD at Michigan.

Won't happen, even though I know so many would like to see it.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

clutch

I don't think the next SEC commissioner will be a SEC AD. Possibly a non SEC AD, but I don't think that will be the case either.

rljjr

Quote from: DeltaHog82 on October 23, 2014, 02:11:34 pm
Houston Nutt said he's available. LOL

He's just using that to get a raise out of Sirius/XM. :-)

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: rljjr on October 23, 2014, 11:03:36 pm
He's just using that to get a raise out of Sirius/XM. :-)

That and I'm sure he's hopeful Sonic hires him to replace one of those homos in their commercials.

Trottsky

Quote from: HF#1 on October 23, 2014, 02:45:43 pm

I wouldn't worry. Really. I would not sweat that a'tall.

Redhogs

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 09:56:29 pm
Funny how everybody screams integrity when we are losing, but when winning..not so much.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 02:12:26 pm

It either greatly diminished or greatly improved Long's chances.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

greasy_corner

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2014, 06:55:36 pm
The next SEC commissioner will not be a sitting AD.

Agree.  The successor has already been chosen and groomed over the yrs, and the committee is a formality.