Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB+JC= Bad Fit

Started by khawg95, October 23, 2014, 12:29:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Torqued pork

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 12:44:02 pm
I can't take him seriously because of the Stoernover.  But I admit, another Chaney has got to go thread was a great idea.
I shouldn't ask, but why would the Stoernover diminish Clint's opinion on this or any topic?

Theolesnort

I can remember Clint with a 40 something percent completion rate and everyone thinking he stunk.  Then the players around him grew up, receivers developed and presto Clint was a very good qb after all. Amazing.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bebop on October 23, 2014, 02:06:10 pm
Really? Come on. I guess we didn't play any football after that penalty.
Yes we lost to Bama and UGa and still likely would have lost even with a win vs A&M.  But 4-3 with an SEC win and UAB next is very different than where we are with the streak and needing 3 wins to get bowl eligible.  Your criticism post A&M would not have happened and the criticism now would be after having played Bama and UGa defenses. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Theolesnort on October 23, 2014, 02:09:18 pm
I can remember Clint with a 40 something percent completion rate and everyone thinking he stunk.  Then the players around him grew up, receivers developed and presto Clint was a very good qb after all. Amazing.

yep

97 stats

173 of 357 48%  12 TDs to 13 ints

167 of 312 53%  26 TDs to 8 ints
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 23, 2014, 02:08:27 pm
I shouldn't ask, but why would the Stoernover diminish Clint's opinion on this or any topic?

It was a joke.  Maybe it wasn't a very good one.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 02:02:11 pm
I'm not seeing this drastic change with Bielema or this odd couple. 

The odd couple theory is Stoerner's, not mine.  I just gave Tennessee numbers that tend to illustrate his point.  There does seem to be an uneasy mesh of styles between Bielema's and Chaney's that has been apparent since Bielema's interview after Auburn.  I think if you look at the play-by-play for each game it will be a common theme.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 02:22:49 pm
That.  Was.  Awesome.

Translation for the modern pop challenged posters?  I haven't seen a movie since Caddyshack. 

Captain Hogthrob

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 23, 2014, 12:46:00 pm
I think it is more like we currently are not able to road grade top 10 teams so we have to throw it around and we are not very good at that either against top 10 teams.

^
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fort Dweller

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2014, 02:28:03 pm
Translation for the modern pop challenged posters?  I haven't seen a movie since Caddyshack. 

Not even Bachelor Party?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

mudder190

So far this is positive, which is good. opinions are like a$$holes, everydody has one. Clint's is no more valid than anyone else. This is a process that is going to take a while, but I think in time.......it's going to be good............as far as the "trip".....It may have change the season a little....if we would have won ...who knows...but that is history, time to move on  and be positive.

PorkRinds

that's the last scene of (I think) terminator 2.  The Terminator sacrifices himself by lowering himself into a vat of molten metal, and that's the last you see of him, giving the thumbs up as he is being melted alive.  In this context, it was just an awesome way for Wildhog to express his agreement with Stoerner that Chaney's philosophy has issues. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: mudder190 on October 23, 2014, 02:29:52 pm
So far this is positive, which is good. opinions are like a$$holes, everydody has one. Clint's is no more valid than anyone else. This is a process that is going to take a while, but I think in time.......it's going to be good............as far as the "trip".....It may have change the season a little....if we would have won ...who knows...but that is history, time to move on  and be positive.

His is a LITTLE bit more valid, since he played QB for the hogs in the SEC. 

jm

I don't think that Chaney meshes real well with Brandon Allen either. BA does some things well but JC often calls plays that don't necessarily fit those strengths.

Southpointhog

This is just a bogus thread.  Clint may talk, but I feel like he is just "yacking to yack"!  After Texas Tech I bet this Jibberish wouldnt have been said!

bphi11ips

Quote from: jm on October 23, 2014, 02:42:49 pm
I don't think that Chaney meshes real well with Brandon Allen either. BA does some things well but JC often calls plays that don't necessarily fit those strengths.

I think he needs to trust Brandon Allen and his receivers.  He did that in the first half of Alabama with good results.   

PonderinHog

redeye

Quote from: HF#1 on October 23, 2014, 12:48:55 pm
How do we really know though?  Have we really stuck to the run for 4 quarters?  It does seem like our only adjustment for teams that stop our run is to start throwing it around.  Why don't we make adjustments in the run game?

Exactly.  At the first sign of struggle, we start throwing the ball.  Sometimes no struggle is even necessary, like we saw with our second drive against Georgia.

redeye

Quote from: Southpointhog on October 23, 2014, 02:43:39 pm
This is just a bogus thread.  Clint may talk, but I feel like he is just "yacking to yack"!  After Texas Tech I bet this Jibberish wouldnt have been said!

We never gave up on the run and plowed over Texas Tech.  What was there to say?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redeye on October 23, 2014, 03:05:24 pm
Exactly.  At the first sign of struggle, we start throwing the ball.  Sometimes no struggle is even necessary, like we saw with our second drive against Georgia.

The first play of the second drive was the one I was most frustrated with and it set in motion the disaster qtr.  The tendency now for most teams is to take the shot downfield on the + side of the 50 after a change of possession.  UGa smartly and aggressively played to that.  That set off the chain of playcalling dictated somewhat by circumstance and score.  Our offense doesn't recover well from setbacks. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 03:11:43 pm
The first play of the second drive was the one I was most frustrated with and it set in motion the disaster qtr.  The tendency now for most teams is to take the shot downfield on the + side of the 50 after a change of possession.  UGa smartly and aggressively played to that.  That set off the chain of playcalling dictated somewhat by circumstance and score.  Our offense doesn't recover well from setbacks. 

I made this point after he did the same thing against Alabama and Kirby Smart teed off on it.  And again after Georgia.  Chaney does appear to be losing the chess match at key points in the game. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 23, 2014, 03:01:32 pm
He won't be back ???

Okay.  Good translation.  I do think he'll be back and hope he is, at least until we have turnover in the QB line-of-succession. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2014, 03:17:21 pm
Okay.  Good translation.  I do think he'll be back and hope he is, at least until we have turnover in the QB line-of-succession.
So many things need to play out.  A few conference wins and I think most everyone would chillax.  We're a pretty damn good football team, but we just can't seem to put it all together on the field.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: khawg95 on October 23, 2014, 12:29:35 pm
Clint Stoerner said on the radio this morning the scheme is the problem with the UA offense and that BB and JC are a bad fit together. If Bielema keeps Chaney after this year he will not last past next year.

So if Clint says it Bielema must make a change or he'll be fired after next season? Got it.

Do you understand what Sam Pittman means to what Bielema is trying to do? Do you understand that Chaney and Pittman are very close? Pittman got a raise to turn down Alabama but mostly he stayed because he likes working with Chaney.

You never say never in football but I don't see Chaney going anywhere. Again some of you are judging this team based on where it's at in year two. That's like looking at a house under construction and saying, man there's no brick on those walls. They need to fire the contractor.

Oklahawg

Your taste in films is spot on! +1 if I could.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

If we have a Zach Hocker at kicker we aren't talking about the OC right now. 5-2 and generally upbeat.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 03:27:16 pm
So if Clint says it Bielema must make a change or he'll be fired after next season? Got it.

Do you understand what Sam Pittman means to what Bielema is trying to do? Do you understand that Chaney and Pittman are very close? Pittman got a raise to turn down Alabama but mostly he stayed because he likes working with Chaney.

You never say never in football but I don't see Chaney going anywhere.
Again some of you are judging this team based on where it's at in year two. That's like looking at a house under construction and saying, man there's no brick on those walls. They need to fire the contractor.

That's a very interesting tidbit right there.

I still think play-calling is a problem, but thanks for the insight Mike.

BPsTheMan

Brandon was 28-45 for 296 last week

to say this thread is history revision would be giving too much credit to the thought process behind it

this thread is uneducated vomit

Mike Irwin

Way too many people are taking Bielema out of the mix on the play calling. Like he's wearing those headsets just to look busy.

Bielema is calling some of those passes. He's not a run only coach. The point is they are working together. If there was a major issue with Chaney's play calling Bielema would have already given him the necessary instructions.

For instance, if Bielema doesn't like throwing it on first and 10 on the second offensive possession of the game all he has to do is say, Let's keep running it for a while.
You think Chaney is gonna say back to him, Buzz off dude, this is my show?

Peter Porker

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 01:15:48 pm
You ever hear Stoerner on The Morning Rush?  Dude wasn't a journalist.  Maybe he is now, but he wasn't then.  And he was obviously unprepared.  Maybe he's more professional in this capacity.  I didn't hear it, so I don't know.

There's a reason he didn't renew his contract. He always came across as unprepared and appeared to do little show prep. It's like he thought he could just wing it. The worst segments were when he was by himself reading the Dem Gaze headlines.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PonderinHog

I just Lacey Underall oil spill...

sage_dragoon

Year 2 of a complete rebuild...just saying.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 03:48:35 pm
Way too many people are taking Bielema out of the mix on the play calling. Like he's wearing those headsets just to look busy.

Bielema is calling some of those passes. He's not a run only coach. The point is they are working together. If there was a major issue with Chaney's play calling Bielema would have already given him the necessary instructions.

For instance, if Bielema doesn't like throwing it on first and 10 on the second offensive possession of the game all he has to do is say, Let's keep running it for a while.

I think you just illustrated Stoerner's point.  It's the contrast in philosophies that Stoerner seems to suggest is getting in the way of an effective merger of styles, and thus, effective play calling.  It's a theory, and it's not one I'm personally promoting.  One example in practice, however, may be the last call against A&M.  Beilema often appears to be an old school-type who believes if you can't pick up a yard and a half on the goal line you don't deserve to win, even against an 11 man front.  Meanwhile, the flat is begging for a fullback or TE off the bootleg or play action.  This is the kind of playcalling that puzzles some fans and commentators (e.g. Marcus Spears), and it is most likely the kind of playcalling in short yardage situations you, yourself, quoted Chaney as saying he needs to reevaluate.     

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 23, 2014, 04:00:35 pm
I just Lacey Underall oil spill...

For some reason, Lacey just isn't as hot as she was when I first saw that movie. 

gchamblee

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2014, 01:47:04 pm
Shorter answer, no.

thank you for admitting you dont know what you are talking about

Wildhog

If you don't have some doubts about Chaney, then you don't have eyes.  I'm not saying you have to be anti-Chaney or anything, but there are some VERY valid concerns that even the most optimistic fan should realize.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2014, 04:23:36 pm
thank you for admitting you dont know what you are talking about

Hide and watch...

PonderinHog

Qadi999

This is a great read  about one of the issues on JC use of BA and how he could improve the passing output . BA is  shotgun QB that ran the spread in high school and passing from under center is not playing to his strength.
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/10/21/7025033/arkansas-vs-uab-advanced-stats-preview-turn-em-loose-razorbacks

ricepig

PonderinHog

MissippHog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 23, 2014, 04:33:31 pm
If you don't have some doubts about Chaney, then you don't have eyes.  I'm not saying you have to be anti-Chaney or anything, but there are some VERY valid concerns that even the most optimistic fan should realize.
Guess you can put me into that category, and I agree with you.  A lot of things fall at the feet of Chaney or BA when they aren't necessarily warranted.  IMO, execution has been our biggest issue.  That said, Chaney's play calling at certain times has left me scratching my head. 

My optimistic point of view is that Chaney, CBB, and this offense are still finding one another.  They have taken a pretty big step forward compared to this time last year.  Hopefully, by next year they will all be in sync.  If not, it may be time for Chaney to go.  And that isn't a knock on Chaney but more of an indication that he may not be the right fit as the OP suggested.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2014, 04:11:00 pm
I think you just illustrated Stoerner's point.  It's the contrast in philosophies that Stoerner seems to suggest is getting in the way of an effective merger of styles, and thus, effective play calling.  It's a theory, and it's not one I'm personally promoting.  One example in practice, however, may be the last call against A&M.  Beilema often appears to be an old school-type who believes if you can't pick up a yard and a half on the goal line you don't deserve to win, even against an 11 man front.  Meanwhile, the flat is begging for a fullback or TE off the bootleg or play action.  This is the kind of playcalling that puzzles some fans and commentators (e.g. Marcus Spears), and it is most likely the kind of playcalling in short yardage situations you, yourself, quoted Chaney as saying he needs to reevaluate.   
Here's the bottom line: There are a lot of people speculating about Bielema's relationship with Chaney based on nothing more than watching games and listening to a few Bielema TV sound bytes. I've been around those guys a lot over the last two years and have talked to both about their relationship. There is nothing to indicate a serious problem. I mean nothing. Doesn't mean they couldn't be hiding something but those things almost always come out.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MissippHog on October 23, 2014, 04:50:18 pm
My optimistic point of view is that Chaney, CBB, and this offense are still finding one another. 
My view is they are running an offense without all the necessary parts. You know, how Nolan ran his 40 minutes of hell stuff with Eddie's players. It didn't work real well until year three. In year four they went to the final 4.

texas tush hog

October 23, 2014, 04:57:16 pm #95 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:12:21 pm by texas tush hog
Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 04:55:17 pm
My view is they are running an offense without all the necessary parts. You know, how Nolan ran his 40 minutes of hell stuff with Eddie's players. It didn't work real well until year three. In year four they went to the final 4.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 03:27:16 pm

You never say never in football but I don't see Chaney going anywhere. Again some of you are judging this team based on where it's at in year two. That's like looking at a house under construction and saying, man there's no brick on those walls. They need to fire the contractor.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 03:48:35 pm

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 04:52:15 pm
Here's the bottom line: There are a lot of people speculating about Bielema's relationship with Chaney based on nothing more than watching games and listening to a few Bielema TV sound bytes. I've been around those guys a lot over the last two years and have talked to both about their relationship. There is nothing to indicate a serious problem. I mean nothing. Doesn't mean they couldn't be hiding something but those things almost always come out.
Quote from: texas tush hog on October 23, 2014, 01:27:59 pm
At this point I will defer to Mike Irwin, and agree that Chaney is an outstanding coach and I believe at this point both Bielema and Pittman support him wholeheartedly, as do I.

MissippHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 04:55:17 pm
Can't disagree with that either.  A couple of game changing WR's and a couple more OL for added depth would do wonders for this offense.  A Joe Adams and J Wright would take this offense to a new level.

sowmonella

Quote from: Razorbax on October 23, 2014, 12:59:36 pm
I tend to believe Skipper is a natural right tackle. Next year, hopefully Wallace, with his great footwork, takes the LT spot and Skipper moves to Cooks position in the line.

Very good point.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

khawg95

The difference between Nolan with Sutton's players is Nolan had system. I still cannot figure ot what Chaney's system is. I was told BB is run and smash mouth. Chaney ends up abandoning the run and is a passing play caller the minute there is adversity or calls a pass that makes you scratch your head. He also calls momentum killing plays. What is the identity of the team? What is Chaney's system?

Wildhog

Quote from: MissippHog on October 23, 2014, 04:50:18 pm
Guess you can put me into that category, and I agree with you.  A lot of things fall at the feet of Chaney or BA when they aren't necessarily warranted.  IMO, execution has been our biggest issue.  That said, Chaney's play calling at certain times has left me scratching my head. 

My optimistic point of view is that Chaney, CBB, and this offense are still finding one another.  They have taken a pretty big step forward compared to this time last year.  Hopefully, by next year they will all be in sync.  If not, it may be time for Chaney to go.  And that isn't a knock on Chaney but more of an indication that he may not be the right fit as the OP suggested.

Good post.  Too many people take criticism of a coach as a personal attack. 
1909/1964/1965/1977