Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB+JC= Bad Fit

Started by khawg95, October 23, 2014, 12:29:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wachhog

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on October 23, 2014, 01:43:22 pm
Clint Stoerner is wrong.
Sometimes, if you cannot fish  you just have to cut bait.

Danny J

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 23, 2014, 03:36:48 pm
If we have a Zach Hocker at kicker we aren't talking about the OC right now. 5-2 and generally upbeat.
This is the best post I have seen in a while. Totally right. We are not only a Hocker type kicker away but really just marginal improvement in the special teams away from being 5-2 which a real chance of being 9-3 to finish the season.

People, including myself, complain about the OC to BA to the WR's but in reality if we were to make the special teams better as a whole we are much better team. The field position battle we lost in the Bama game was a killer. The first score of aTm game came off a special teams turnover. So on and so forth.....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on October 23, 2014, 05:42:02 pm
This is the best post I have seen in a while. Totally right. We are not only a Hocker type kicker away but really just marginal improvement in the special teams away from being 5-2 which a real chance of being 9-3 to finish the season.

People, including myself, complain about the OC to BA to the WR's but in reality if we were to make the special teams better as a whole we are much better team. The field position battle we lost in the Bama game was a killer. The first score of aTm game came off a special teams turnover. So on and so forth.....

Our opponents have scored from short fields or defensive scores many times already this season.  Part of it STs and much of it is offensive mistakes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 01:07:57 pm
Personally I don't think Clint is in any position to know the dynamics between JC and BB.  He, like most everyone else, is just guessing.  He, as an alumni and former player, should know better than to sew seeds of dissention though.  Leave that to everyone else.  Players should respect the school and program enough to not make wild guesses and state them as fact.

As usual, I totally disagree and appreciate the opinion of a former winning QB from our program, especially during a 16 game SEC losing streak...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 23, 2014, 06:22:35 pm
As usual, I totally disagree and appreciate the opinion of a former winning QB from our program, especially during a 16 game SEC losing streak...

Had to get Nutt as a coach before he started winning. How do you love that fact?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Lake City Hog

I think some of you are forgetting that Stoerner really improved once Ferguson joined the staff and he started learning how to be a QB. A really good QB coach can be worth his weight in gold.

Several of you have touched on my concerns, but just didn't fill out the thought. When the everyday fan scratches his head over some of the play calls how must the Head Coach feel? None of us understand the game plan and such even a little compared to the HC.

When some of us see so plainly that our OC calls plays that do not mesh with our players' strengths I have to wonder how he doesn't see it. A really good OC game plans to take advantage of the strengths of his team as well as to take advantage of the weaknesses of the opponent. I think that most of you would have to agree that we don't seem to do that really well.

I do wish that someone could explain to me how we seem to be so successful on our first offensive possession of the game and the following possessions look like a fire drill. It just seems to me like he just slings stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

And lastly, I don't think that BB's relationship with Chaney being good or bad is relevant. I believe that if he thinks you aren't getting the job done he will hand you your hat on your way out the door. See Ash! Who knows we might just see as much improvement offensively as Smith has made on defense.

Demaghog

When you're a running team and your QB can't pass effectively under center, you might look like a bad OC.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on October 23, 2014, 06:35:12 pm
Had to get Nutt as a coach before he started winning. How do you love that fact?

Joe ferguson...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HawgTide

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 23, 2014, 06:54:08 pm
Joe ferguson...

Joe Ferguson was the QB coach in 1997 under Danny Ford. So he was there for Stoerner's sophmore season. HDN arrived in 1998 and kept him on staff for three years.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2014, 05:52:25 pm
It seems to me you're injecting an element here the OP hasn't raised.  There's no hint anything is wrong with the relationship, only that the two philosophies are a bad fit.
Common logic indicates if its a bad philosophical fit the relationship will not continue. If I've got a guy working for me and we don't see eye to eye on how he should do his job he will either do it my way, convince me I'm wrong or he will gone.

The main point I will continue to make is that there is not a huge difference in these two coaches philosophically. Both believe in a balanced offense.

What we are seeing right now is a running game without the offensive line it needs and a passing game with the receivers needed. Some of you think it also lacks the right QB.

It appears to me (and I'm speculating here like the rest of you) that Bielema doesn't trust the passing game and is more inclined to run it 14 times on a drive with one pass where Chaney wants to mix it up more especially against teams like Alabama and Georgia that are doing a good job of stopping the run.

Once the parts are in place I think we'll see a running game that sets up the pass and vice versa.

I think both coaches understand that what they are dealing with now is temporary.

rude1

Quote from: HF#1 on October 23, 2014, 12:48:55 pm
How do we really know though?  Have we really stuck to the run for 4 quarters?  It does seem like our only adjustment for teams that stop our run is to start throwing it around.  Why don't we make adjustments in the run game? 
It's not they don't want to continue to run the ball, but what happens is once teams figure out the run fits, they are stuffing it on first and second down consistently setting up third and longs. What do you want to do then, draw play? You can't stick to the run if you aren't consistently winning on first down with it, or you risk a bunch of quick 3 and outs  that's going to put a less than stellar defense on the field far too long.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 23, 2014, 06:45:48 pm
I think some of you are forgetting that Stoerner really improved once Ferguson joined the staff and he started learning how to be a QB. A really good QB coach can be worth his weight in gold.

Several of you have touched on my concerns, but just didn't fill out the thought. When the everyday fan scratches his head over some of the play calls how must the Head Coach feel? None of us understand the game plan and such even a little compared to the HC.

When some of us see so plainly that our OC calls plays that do not mesh with our players' strengths I have to wonder how he doesn't see it. A really good OC game plans to take advantage of the strengths of his team as well as to take advantage of the weaknesses of the opponent. I think that most of you would have to agree that we don't seem to do that really well.

I do wish that someone could explain to me how we seem to be so successful on our first offensive possession of the game and the following possessions look like a fire drill. It just seems to me like he just slings stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

And lastly, I don't think that BB's relationship with Chaney being good or bad is relevant. I believe that if he thinks you aren't getting the job done he will hand you your hat on your way out the door. See Ash! Who knows we might just see as much improvement offensively as Smith has made on defense.

Stoerner's development was discussed in this thread. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redeye

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 07:21:52 pm
What we are seeing right now is a running game without the offensive line it needs and a passing game with the receivers needed. Some of you think it also lacks the right QB.

I think the OL looks great with the running game.  The passing game needs improvement with receivers, the offensive line and the QB positions.

The main problem I see, however, isn't with the offense being balanced, but how they're accomplishing that.  It's like we run the ball early, until someone decides we need to pass more to keep the offense balanced.  Then we attempt 10 passes in a row and then the defense makes it's adjustments.  After that happens, we struggle to throw, but have fallen behind and think we must continue to catch up.  Now, I'm not saying that's what is happening, but just that it's how it appears.

It appears to me (and I'm speculating here like the rest of you) that Bielema doesn't trust the passing game and is more inclined to run it 14 times on a drive with one pass where Chaney wants to mix it up more especially against teams like Alabama and Georgia that are doing a good job of stopping the run.

You'd certainly know better then I would, but if Bielema doesn't trust the passing game, then why do we usually turn to it when the game's on the line, regardless of whether we're winning or losing?  We typically win games running the ball and lose them while throwing it.  If we're losing games when going against Bielema's instinct, then wouldn't it make sense for him to follow it more?

secfan30

Quote from: Peter Porker on October 23, 2014, 06:35:12 pm

Danny Ford could recruit, by the time we got him he wasn't much of a game day coach and definitely was not a rah rah cheerleader.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: redeye on October 23, 2014, 08:05:25 pm
I think the OL looks great with the running game. 

At times, yes. At times, no.

There virtually was no running game against Alabama and it wasn't for lack of trying. It was a little better against Georgia but not a whole lot. Most of the success came on the opening drive.

The issue appears to be when the running game sputters. Chaney likes to throw it and it looks like Bielema wants to keep pounding away. 

As I said this difference in philosophy won't exist down the road if they get the right parts in place. Both men believe in a run/pass balance.

Lake City Hog

Mike, I may agree with you but it is only to a certain point. I think that even BB knows that wins have to start showing up or things may never get better. At some point you begin to lose some of the players, then some of the assistants and possibly even your own self confidence.

Regardless of BB's abilities as a coach sooner or later perception becomes reality and 2 seasons without a conference win could be devastating. He has already mentioned the frustrations of the coaches and the players. As these frustrations grow so will the problems.

How much of our defensive meltdown against Georgia is directly related to our offensive failures against A&M and Alabama? If someone had told you in August that we would hold A&M to 21 points midway through the 4th quarter and Alabama to only 14 for the game, would you have believed them? If the offense doesn't somehow get righted BB will act, relationships be darned.( I'm not "after" Chaney, just a realist)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 23, 2014, 09:01:38 pm
Mike, I may agree with you but it is only to a certain point. I think that even BB knows that wins have to start showing up or things may never get better. At some point you begin to lose some of the players, then some of the assistants and possibly even your own self confidence.

Regardless of BB's abilities as a coach sooner or later perception becomes reality and 2 seasons without a conference win could be devastating. He has already mentioned the frustrations of the coaches and the players. As these frustrations grow so will the problems.

How much of our defensive meltdown against Georgia is directly related to our offensive failures against A&M and Alabama? If someone had told you in August that we would hold A&M to 21 points midway through the 4th quarter and Alabama to only 14 for the game, would you have believed them? If the offense doesn't somehow get righted BB will act, relationships be darned.( I'm not "after" Chaney, just a realist)
The frustrations Bielema mentioned have occurred in the locker-room after a game. It has not carried over to the work week and I don't think it had anything to do with Georgia.

Arkansas was playing just fine until that stupid penalty. That's when this team lets down. When every guy on that field knows that somebody has made another costly and unnecessary mistake. That's got nothing to do with Chaney.

Some of you are speculating that this team is about to let go of the rope. I don't see any evidence of that though I'm sure that some here hope it happens.

redeye

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 08:43:33 pm
At times, yes. At times, no.

There virtually was no running game against Alabama and it wasn't for lack of trying. It was a little better against Georgia but not a whole lot. Most of the success came on the opening drive.

The issue appears to be when the running game sputters. Chaney likes to throw it and it looks like Bielema wants to keep pounding away. 

As I said this difference in philosophy won't exist down the road if they get the right parts in place. Both men believe in a run/pass balance.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  It's just that early in games, we look like a running team trying to keep defenses honest with a few passes and it's worked well.  But later in games, we look like a poor passing team, mixing in a few runs.  I don't think the defense should dictate such a change, even if it's presenting a challenge to the offense.  I'm certainly not against making adjustments, but ours seem a little over the top.

WarPig88

I swear.

A guy who has played football at the highest level at the qb position is not "expert" enough to give his opinion if it doesn't praise this offensive scheme.

I know a lot around here want to lay it all on BA's shoulders, but scheme is huge part of why this offense struggles to pass the ball.

Lake City Hog

Mike, I hope you are right. I understand your feelings about BB and I think that those feelings are clouding your judgement just a bit. If you don't think that losing like we did to A&M and Bama doesn't take a toll on the entire team you are simply fooling yourself.

Just think back to BB's press conference, have you EVER seen such raw emotion from a coach? Losing games like that hurt, especially in the midst of a streak like we are going through. Stuff like that makes everyone want to question themselves just a bit.

Please understand, I was just a boy in 1965 when I watched Arkansas win our only National Championship. I was way too young to understand what that game meant, all I knew was my team won a big game. I came very close to crying in December of 1969. Still cannot watch the 4th quarter of that game!
My love for the Hogs transcends any coach or player for that matter. During Nutts last year many on this board suggested that we should all root for the other team in hopes of getting rid of him, I couldn't do it. NEVER will I do that.
I want BB to win, we need it desperately. This program needs stability in the worse way.

So please don't confuse my concerns with dislike for BB or Chaney for that matter.

Acehawg

Chaney's passing offense can't handle adversity of any kind.  A blitz, it's done, starting QB goes down, it's done, running game not successful, it's done.  Lack of all star talent, it's done.

Chaney has made his living (yards) against base and prevent defenses when the outcome of the games were already settled.

A very fragile offense that has been a failure in the SEC for years. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Acehawg on October 23, 2014, 10:00:47 pm
Chaney's passing offense can't handle adversity of any kind.  A blitz, it's done, starting QB goes down, it's done, running game not successful, it's done.  Lack of all star talent, it's done.

Chaney has made his living (yards) against base and prevent defenses when the outcome of the games were already settled.

A very fragile offense that has been a failure in the SEC for years. 

Most offenses struggle when facing adversity, with a backup qb, when their strength is taken away and when they don't have "star" talent.  This isn't a Chaney issue. 

WarPig88

Common logic indicates if its a bad philosophical fit the relationship will not continue. If I've got a guy working for me and we don't see eye to eye on how he should do his job he will either do it my way, convince me I'm wrong or he will gone.

The main point I will continue to make is that there is not a huge difference in these two coaches philosophically. Both believe in a balanced offense.

Once the parts are in place I think we'll see a running game that sets up the pass and vice versa.

I think both coaches understand that what they are dealing with now is temporary.

I am tired of hearing that CBB is a balanced offense guy. He has been run heavy to the detriment of having a passing game for about half the years he has been a head coach.

If BA were somehow unable to throw for 2000 yards this season, it would be the third straight year a CBB team did not.

Does that sound like balance to anyone?

Fact is, if you can't pass the ball well in this league, you won't win at a high level.

Balance is not measured in yards, it's measured in effectiveness. In terms of passing efficiency in the nation, Bama is 4th, Miss St 6th, Ole Miss 10th, Aub 14th, A&M 20th, LSU 35th, and we come in at 51st.

I guess it's just a coincidence that passing efficiency rankings are almost identical to the balance of power in the SEC West.

I have always felt that CBB is in a conundrum at Arkansas. If he really wants to succeed here, he will have to modify his approach on offense. This isn't likely since he is obviously married to the system Alverez installed at Wiscy.

His system is all about playing with a lead or being close at all times. Methodically working the ball down the field 10 yards at a time. That just isn't reality in the SEC. In this league, you have to be both explosive and able to sustain long drives at times.

You will find yourself down multiple scores at times in this league. If you aren't prepared for what it takes to close that gap, you will be in trouble.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:05:27 pm
I am tired of hearing that CBB is a balanced offense guy. He has been run heavy to the detriment of having a passing game for about half the years he has been a head coach.

If BA were somehow unable to throw for 2000 yards this season, it would be the third straight year a CBB team did not.

Fact is, if you can't pass the ball well in this league, you won't win at a high level.

Balance is not measured in yards, it's measured in effectiveness. In terms of passing efficiency in the nation, Bama is 4th, Miss St 6th, Ole Miss 10th, Aub 14th, A&M 20th, LSU 35th, and we come in at 51st.

I guess it's just a coincidence that passing efficiency rankings are almost identical to the balance of power in the SEC West.

I have always felt that CBB is in a conundrum at Arkansas. If he really wants to succeed here, he will have to modify his approach on offense. This isn't likely since he is obviously married to the system Alverez installed at Wiscy.

His system is all about playing with a lead or being close at all times. Methodically working the ball down the field 10 yards at a time. That just isn't reality in the SEC. In this league, you have to be both explosive and able to sustain long drives at times.

You will find yourself down multiple scores at times in this league. If you aren't prepared for what it takes to close that gap, you will be in trouble.

His last year at Wisconsin he was playing with his 3rd string QB. And BA will pass for 2,000 this season

Atlhogfan1

Wisconsin threw for over a 2000 in 2012.

WarPig88

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 23, 2014, 10:07:42 pm
His last year at Wisconsin he was playing with his 3rd string QB. And BA will pass for 2,000 this season

By choice. His last two seasons at Wiscy he had to import his season opening starter from other schools.

Wilson worked out, but the second guy did not. His replacement was lighting it up either and the first guy was so bad they didn't even go back to him.

In year 7 of a coach's tenure, he shouldn't be looking for his starter to transfer with immediate eligibility from another school.

Acehawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 10:04:46 pm
Most offenses struggle when facing adversity, with a backup qb, when their strength is taken away and when they don't have "star" talent.  This isn't a Chaney issue. 

Chaney's offense started being great when we were down by 30 last week.  Ever wonder why?  We didn't just suddenly learn to pass and run the ball.  Georgia backed off and played prevent or base D.  A Chaney offense can move the ball against this type of D.

Oklahawg

If this was a bad fit Chaney would already be gone. The "bad fit" on defense was purged after one year. CBB ain't messing around.

Lost on some folks might be the total yardage numbers from the UGA game, not to mention the UA passing numbers. And, the folks overlooking that data are also likely to overlook the fact that UGA came after UA in the second half (probably because UA didn't back down and concede), running blitzes from the first team defense all second half. Richt wanted a statement win. He got a good win but it wasn't the overwhelming pounding he was hoping would boost the Dawgs back into the elite of the elite.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 10:10:15 pm

Wisconsin threw for over a 2000 in 2012.

Sorry, Wisconsin threw for 2041 yards in the 13 games CBB coached.

You really got me there. :)

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Acehawg on October 23, 2014, 10:12:27 pm
Chaney's offense started being great when we were down by 30 last week.  Ever wonder why?  We didn't just suddenly learn to pass and run the ball.  Georgia backed off and played prevent or base D.  A Chaney offense can move the ball against this type of D.

Ok.  I don't really give too much of a darn about last week.  UGa has maybe the best front 7 in the SEC and they made our offense one dimensional.  That will happen this season.  You are choosing to worry about a very incomplete product very early in this process.  I don't wonder why.  I know why.  I don't care that much right now.  Some plays and events during games frustrate me or may be of some concern.  But in the big picture, it is way too early to be so emotional and angry. 

HF#1

Quote from: Acehawg on October 23, 2014, 10:12:27 pm

They were still blitzing...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WarPig88

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 23, 2014, 10:15:22 pm
If this was a bad fit Chaney would already be gone. The "bad fit" on defense was purged after one year. CBB ain't messing around.

Lost on some folks might be the total yardage numbers from the UGA game, not to mention the UA passing numbers. And, the folks overlooking that data are also likely to overlook the fact that UGA came after UA in the second half (probably because UA didn't back down and concede), running blitzes from the first team defense all second half. Richt wanted a statement win. He got a good win but it wasn't the overwhelming pounding he was hoping would boost the Dawgs back into the elite of the elite.

I was at the game.

GA literally called off the Dawgs and just coasted the entire second half. The first half may not be the whole truth either, but the second half was non sequitur at best.

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 10:18:25 pm
Ok.  I don't really give too much of a darn about last week.  UGa has maybe the best front 7 in the SEC and they made our offense one dimensional.  That will happen this season.  You are choosing to worry about a very incomplete product very early in this process.  I don't wonder why.  I know why.  I don't care that much right now.  Some plays and events during games frustrate me or may be of some concern.  But in the big picture, it is way too early to be so emotional and angry.

I guess you haven't seen much of Miss St. They have the best front 14 without a doubt.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:11:10 pm
By choice. His last two seasons at Wiscy he had to import his season opening starter from other schools.

Wilson worked out, but the second guy did not. His replacement was lighting it up either and the first guy was so bad they didn't even go back to him.

In year 7 of a coach's tenure, he shouldn't be looking for his starter to transfer with immediate eligibility from another school.

Joel Stave had 1104 yards passing in 6 games a starter before breaking his collarbone.

But please don't let facts get in the way of your argument

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 23, 2014, 09:56:43 pm
Mike, I hope you are right. I understand your feelings about BB and I think that those feelings are clouding your judgement just a bit. If you don't think that losing like we did to A&M and Bama doesn't take a toll on the entire team you are simply fooling yourself.

You're speculating. I'm basing what I say on conversations with former players on this team who are still close to the current players. These ex players have no reason to BS me. They did not BS me back when John L was in charge.

I was told this week that the attitudes have been great. That happens with you have a coaching staff that encourages players but is still firm with discipline. Players aren't stupid. They can sense when their coaches are in their corner and when they're just using them.

There's a bond on this team that I did not sense in the Nutt years or the Petrino years. These guys may have gone through hell over the past two seasons but they're doing it together and they can see that a lot of progress has been made.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:20:54 pm
I guess you haven't seen much of Miss St. They have the best front 14 without a doubt.

Not sure what that is but Miss St and OM are both capable of making the Hogs one dimensional.  OM's D could do like Bama and take away everything.  That shouldn't have been unexpected this season. 

B501

Quote from: Danny J on October 23, 2014, 05:42:02 pm
We are not only a Hocker type kicker away but really just marginal improvement in the special teams away from being 5-2 which a real chance of being 9-3 to finish the season.

can we start with wining a single SEC game? 9-3  :o

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 10:24:24 pm
Not sure what that is but Miss St and OM are both capable of making the Hogs one dimensional.  OM's D could do like Bama and take away everything.  That shouldn't have been unexpected this season.

Miss St claims to be 25 deep on the defensive side of the ball. They sub in whole defensive units at a time.

It's incredible.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:25:44 pm
Miss St claims to be 25 deep on the defensive side of the ball. They sub in whole defensive units at a time.

It's incredible.

I'm not looking for our offense to have success against them especially on the ground.  And when that happens, I'm not going to go after Chaney because of it. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:19:38 pm
I was at the game.

GA literally called off the Dawgs and just coasted the entire second half. The first half may not be the whole truth either, but the second half was non sequitur at best.

Complete nonsense. The video doesn't show that at all. Common logic doesn't support it.
No coach is going to have his players back off when the opponent is biting into that big lead.

Atlhogfan1

Our offense will have success vs UAB.  It may be able to move the ball consistently on Mizzou if we don't get in a situation where we have to throw because I don't know about protecting BA.  LSU, Miss St and certainly OM will be a struggle.  This isn't on Chaney.  We still have a personnel issue vs our competition. 

PorkerOinker

Stoerner may be right on this IDK, but he is not much of a football analyst or didn't seem to be when he was on the Morning Rush. This guy could barely stay on topic when he was on that morning show.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

I respect Stoerner and his opinions and I have wondered about the fit between BB and Chaney myself. However, I feel some are reaching a bit when it comes to Chaney.

It has been said that Chaney was strictly a spread guy until his stint in St Louis as O line coach after which he was converted to a pro style guy.

It should be noted that O line coaches generally want to run the ball more than half the time due to the pressure it puts on their linemen to pass block 40 times or more a game vs defenses built to rush the passer.

It should also be noted that the HC in St Louis Chaney answered to was Scott Linehan, now OC of the Cowboys. The same Cowboys who are riding DeMarco Murray and the running game to a 6-1 record after running the ball more than they have in years.

Taking the ball out of Romo's hands 10 or more times a game reduces his turnovers and screwups and makes their play action game more dangerous.

Also, one poster said Skipper was recruited as a run game masher, but actually, he was committed to Tennessee originally when Chaney was running a pass first offense there. I do think Skipper may make the move to RT in 2015 if Brian Wallace is ready next season.

As far as Kirkland outperforming Skipper, I didn't see it that way and Andre Ware commented on the telecast that Kirkland was struggling with his footwork at tackle. Could be why Skipper came back in after two series...

I do think BB and Chaney are a work in progress having never worked together before 2013. That and having a first year starter at QB, no #1 SEC level WR and a rebuilt OL makes for a lot of transition.

Two sophs and a JC who didn't have spring practice in the starting line tells me we are not where BB wants there yet. Next season with the core group intact and mostly recruited by this staff will tell the tale if we can improve the passing game.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

WarPig88

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 23, 2014, 10:37:56 pm
Really, your trying to validate yourself with Rick Schaeffer??

Is he, or is he not, the biggest sunshine guy in this state?

He even said it was not a close game. Seems solid when a guy who is biased toward spinning funerals as a positive says his team's game wasn't close in a loss, then it's pretty likely that it wasn't.

PorkRinds

Quote from: secfan30 on October 23, 2014, 08:04:04 pm
Wow really... Would love to hear how many snaps you took under center... And if you did I'd love to hear how you never had a turnover

10,000. No turnovers. I prefer Danish.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Well by god if Clint said it!
Let's make some waves.

redeye

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:25:44 pm

It's incredible.

I believe the Ole Miss defense has scored as many TD's as it's given up for the year.

I think you can win with either, but you still need to be good at both.  I don't disagree with your views on the passing game, but I think you underestimate the value of a good running game.  This is especially true for a team like Arkansas, which plays in a conference with defenses geared to stop spread offenses.

redeye

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on October 23, 2014, 10:40:11 pm
I respect Stoerner and his opinions and I have wondered about the fit between BB and Chaney myself. However, I feel some are reaching a bit when it comes to Chaney.

It has been said that Chaney was strictly a spread guy until his stint in St Louis as O line coach after which he was converted to a pro style guy.

It should be noted that O line coaches generally want to run the ball more than half the time due to the pressure it puts on their linemen to pass block 40 times or more a game vs defenses built to rush the passer.

It should also be noted that the HC in St Louis Chaney answered to was Scott Linehan, now OC of the Cowboys. The same Cowboys who are riding DeMarco Murray and the running game to a 6-1 record after running the ball more than they have in years.

Taking the ball out of Romo's hands 10 or more times a game reduces his turnovers and screwups and makes their play action game more dangerous.

Also, one poster said Skipper was recruited as a run game masher, but actually, he was committed to Tennessee originally when Chaney was running a pass first offense there. I do think Skipper may make the move to RT in 2015 if Brian Wallace is ready next season.

As far as Kirkland outperforming Skipper, I didn't see it that way and Andre Ware commented on the telecast that Kirkland was struggling with his footwork at tackle. Could be why Skipper came back in after two series...

I do think BB and Chaney are a work in progress having never worked together before 2013. That and having a first year starter at QB, no #1 SEC level WR and a rebuilt OL makes for a lot of transition.

Two sophs and a JC who didn't have spring practice in the starting line tells me we are not where BB wants there yet. Next season with the core group intact and mostly recruited by this staff will tell the tale if we can improve the passing game.

Good stuff, but especially the parts in bold.

moses_007

IMHO, the entire offense needs revamped if we're to ever win any SEC games.  Putting the line that tight together and running out of a one running back set simply doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  It worked in the three non conference games, but come SEC time, it hasn't worked at all.  Our running game seems to be very stagnant and practically non-existant right now.  I think Clint may be right.  I see it as a case of two coaches not knowing how to run an offense right now.  And in a second year, that's totally inexcusable.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 23, 2014, 10:35:12 pm
Irwin, the game was NEVER close. The score was NO indicator of how close that game was.

It was a beat down pure and simple. Rick Schaeffer, the biggest sunshine pumper in our state said exactly the same thing as I just posted on AIR this week on Driveby Sports.

Evidently, I am not alone in being ridiculous.

I never said that Richt told his players to back down by way. But anyone who has ever been around any sport knows it is hard to keep players engaged while a blood letting is occurring.
It's not a matter of what "anyone who has ever been around any sport knows."  It's a matter of paying attention to what's going on on the field. Georgia's defense was applying the same pressure with the same quickness it did in the first half. On the first offensive series the backside D-end was about to blindside Brandon Allen when J-Will stepped up and took the guy out, something he didn't do in the first half.

Later when both D-ends and both corners crashed on BA he got the ball off in 2.8 seconds to Hunter Henry for a TD. Clearly on that play Chaney (or Allen) anticipated the all out blitz and beat it with the right call.

People who refuse to give credit where credit is due have an agenda. That agenda is to make the worst out of every situation. Maximize the mistakes. Minimize the successes.

The good thing is this program is moving forward without those people.