Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAB game attendance

Started by wonder, October 23, 2014, 07:51:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 24, 2014, 09:59:02 am
Muzzleloading season started last week.   80 degree temps ain't good for deer hunting either.

I am getting close with my car. Was driving through Fort Smith last week, in a residential area in the middle of town, right around dusk, and almost hit two crossing the road. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

imhogwild2

im predicting 62,578. 11 am kick and another inferior non conference opponent.
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

code red

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2014, 09:44:28 am
Count me in as one of these people. I would give mine away to a friend or someone unsuspecting for nothing before I sold them for 10 bucks a piece to a stranger....would honestly rather throw them in the trash than that. Why would I sell them for pennies on the dollar to someone wanting the cheap way out? I had to pay full price and had no intention of getting any $$ back upon purchase.

What people who don't buy regular season tickets don't get is that even paying full face value (of most tickets) is still a heck of a deal compared to donation + ticket price. Of course, a lot of people would say those two things absolutely are not hand in hand. I would disagree.
This is why....ticket sells are going to plummet next year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: imhogwild2 on October 24, 2014, 10:42:47 am
im predicting 62,578. 11 am kick and another inferior non conference opponent.
No way....if its announced its a lie.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

1highhog

Atlhogfan1

Ticket sales won't plummet next season.  The Fay schedule isn't as attractive because of the A&M game leaving only 3 SEC home games:  AU in Oct and Miss St and Mizzou to end the season.  TT in September will draw a 70K+ crowd. 

The early kickoff may keep the crowd down some but it will be over 60K.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

1highhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2014, 09:44:28 am
Count me in as one of these people. I would give mine away to a friend or someone unsuspecting for nothing before I sold them for 10 bucks a piece to a stranger....would honestly rather throw them in the trash than that. Why would I sell them for pennies on the dollar to someone wanting the cheap way out? I had to pay full price and had no intention of getting any $$ back upon purchase.

What people who don't buy regular season tickets don't get is that even paying full face value (of most tickets) is still a heck of a deal compared to donation + ticket price. Of course, a lot of people would say those two things absolutely are not hand in hand. I would disagree.

Dumb way to look at things.  I'll give my tickets away or sell them to someone at whatever price to those who sometimes can't afford it any other way.  You have your priorities screwed up dude.

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2014, 11:21:53 am
Ticket sales won't plummet next season.  The Fay schedule isn't as attractive because of the A&M game leaving only 3 SEC home games:  AU in Oct and Miss St and Mizzou to end the season.  TT in September will draw a 70K+ crowd. 

OK...I disagree.  They have been steadily the last 3 seasons.

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 24, 2014, 11:21:53 am

I should have said "season ticket sales"

smb

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 04:28:26 pm
With the 11:00 start, I'm just hoping the players show up ready to play.
+1
GeorgiaHOG

jkstock04

Quote from: 1highhog on October 24, 2014, 11:23:40 am
Dumb way to look at things.  I'll give my tickets away or sell them to someone at whatever price to those who sometimes can't afford it any other way.  You have your priorities screwed up dude.
My priorities in life are my business/career and my wife. My political views lead me to the opinion that I don't expect those more fortunate than myself to give me handouts or breaks because I wasn't as fortunate as them which is why I think the way I do. I've never been given anything...always had to make due for myself.

Just an example, played golf with a guy couple months back who had sold his business...made millions on the deal. "HE" was buying that day by god! But, I declined all the free amenities cause I don't believe in handouts...sort of anti-democrat if you will. You play the hand you are dealt and make the most of it. Don't bitch and whine about your misfortune...instead put your mind to it and do something about it.

Anyways, I go to all the games (because since I did pay full price it would be dumb for me not to) so this is a moot point really.

Hogsanity is correct about 1 thing though...it WAS my choice to pay full price....therefore I can do what I want with my tickets. Either way I'll be one of the 50k there this weekend cheering the Hogs....just as I'm sure all the other self righteous "true" Hog fans on Hogville will be too....lol. *sarcasm.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Corkscrew Johnson

That would be a sad turnout.  But, there is AQ Chicken so who cares

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2014, 12:22:20 pm
My priorities in life are my business/career and my wife. My political views lead me to the opinion that I don't expect those more fortunate than myself to give me handouts or breaks because I wasn't as fortunate as them which is why I think the way I do. I've never been given anything...always had to make due for myself.

So, when you go to the store, do you ever buy anything on sale, or do you insist on paying full retail?  If you go to get a new vehicle ( new as in new to you, could be a used car or truck ), do you insist on paying full sticker price? 

Your argument on tickets makes no sense, at all.  On the one hand you claim to support the program, and one way you do so is by buying season tickets and making the accompanying donation.  Yet, even knowing how it looks to have empty seats, you would rather trash your tickets then to sell them to someone who, and we have no idea why, is not at a place in their life that they can buy season tickets.

On the flip side, there are fans who will do things like happened to me and my son the 2nd time we went to a game. We decided at the last minute to go to the season opener in 2004, he had just turned 6. We drove up, and while on the shuttle up from Baum, he said to me that he was worried we wouldn't find tickets. I knew it wasn't going to be an issue, because other than a couple of games in my 44 years, it has NEVER been an issue finding tickets outside the stadium, especially for a rent a win like it was that night. Anyway, this older gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned around he put two tickets in my shirt pocket and then made the be quiet sign putting his index finger to his lips. I mouthed " thank you " and turned back around. When we go off the shuttle, my son immediately started worrying because he didn't see any tickets. I told him " lets go in " and pulled the tickets out of my pocket. Of course he was amazed. We went and sat down, and the old man and his wife came along shortly after. I talked to him, he said he had always had 4 tickets, him, his wife, their son, and his wife. Well, the son and wife had moved away but he kept the tickets, and always looked for someone with a young child, or a young couple to give them to.

But hey, they are your tickets, do whatever you want with them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan10

Does anyone else find it odd that the University is selling tickets for $25 a piece (no $35 donation required) this weekend; when last weekend for Little Rock they were selling tickets for $65 (plus required RF donation of $35).
Sometimes I think that the University goes out of its way to piss off part of it's fan base.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 01:00:25 pm
Does anyone else find it odd that the University is selling tickets for $25 a piece (no $35 donation required) this weekend; when last weekend for Little Rock they were selling tickets for $65 (plus required RF donation of $35).
Sometimes I think that the University goes out of its way to piss off part of it's fan base.

Supply and demand, Georgia wasn't UAB, either.....

Wildhog

There will be tens of people there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Redhogs

Quote from: code red on October 24, 2014, 09:35:33 am
It will be around 50K..no more than that and the numbers will always be inflated.  I am sure the announced attendance will be paid attendance plus actual attendance divided by 2.
I'll guarantee you this...there will be more in Fayetteville for UAB than there was in LR for Ga...... just say'in.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 01:01:58 pm
Supply and demand, Georgia wasn't UAB, either.....

I'm not sure you or the University understand the concept of Supply and Demand. If I remember correctly, the supply was greater than the demand last weekend.
It's also good to know that the University has no problem with taking advantage of the fans that support them, for a few extra $'s.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 01:00:25 pm

Not odd at all.  Several schools all over the country have different prices for conf games than for non conf. Plus, and not to start the gsd, a full house in LR is still only equal to 76% capacity in RRS, so they have to try to make up the revenue by charging more for tickets. I do not think that's a great idea. If you choose to play in LR, then pay the price, so to speak, by not bringing in as much revenue, paying rent, etc.

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 01:06:08 pm
Not odd at all.  Several schools all over the country have different prices for conf games than for non conf. Plus, and not to start the gsd, a full house in LR is still only equal to 76% capacity in RRS, so they have to try to make up the revenue by charging more for tickets. I do not think that's a great idea. If you choose to play in LR, then pay the price, so to speak, by not bringing in as much revenue, paying rent, etc.

Aren't the tickets already $10 more in LR than Fayetteville, even b/4 the $35 donation.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 01:08:15 pm
Aren't the tickets already $10 more in LR than Fayetteville, even b/4 the $35 donation.

Yes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 01:05:40 pm
I'm not sure you or the University understand the concept of Supply and Demand. If I remember correctly, the supply was greater than the demand last weekend.
It's also good to know that the University has no problem with taking advantage of the fans that support them, for a few extra $'s.

So, you think the less than 500 they didn't sell, was more than the number they sold for $100? I bet they netted out way more by selling for $100, then if they had charged $65/ticket.

1highhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 12:56:46 pm
So, when you go to the store, do you ever buy anything on sale, or do you insist on paying full retail?  If you go to get a new vehicle ( new as in new to you, could be a used car or truck ), do you insist on paying full sticker price? 

Your argument on tickets makes no sense, at all.  On the one hand you claim to support the program, and one way you do so is by buying season tickets and making the accompanying donation.  Yet, even knowing how it looks to have empty seats, you would rather trash your tickets then to sell them to someone who, and we have no idea why, is not at a place in their life that they can buy season tickets.

On the flip side, there are fans who will do things like happened to me and my son the 2nd time we went to a game. We decided at the last minute to go to the season opener in 2004, he had just turned 6. We drove up, and while on the shuttle up from Baum, he said to me that he was worried we wouldn't find tickets. I knew it wasn't going to be an issue, because other than a couple of games in my 44 years, it has NEVER been an issue finding tickets outside the stadium, especially for a rent a win like it was that night. Anyway, this older gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned around he put two tickets in my shirt pocket and then made the be quiet sign putting his index finger to his lips. I mouthed " thank you " and turned back around. When we go off the shuttle, my son immediately started worrying because he didn't see any tickets. I told him " lets go in " and pulled the tickets out of my pocket. Of course he was amazed. We went and sat down, and the old man and his wife came along shortly after. I talked to him, he said he had always had 4 tickets, him, his wife, their son, and his wife. Well, the son and wife had moved away but he kept the tickets, and always looked for someone with a young child, or a young couple to give them to.

Very well stated, +1 if I could.

1highhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2014, 12:22:20 pm

Just an example, played golf with a guy couple months back who had sold his business...made millions on the deal. "HE" was buying that day by god! But, I declined all the free amenities cause I don't believe in handouts...sort of anti-democrat if you will. You play the hand you are dealt and make the most of it. Don't bitch and whine about your misfortune...instead put your mind to it and do something about it.

Anyways, I go to all the games (because since I did pay full price it would be dumb for me not to) so this is a moot point really.

Hogsanity is correct about 1 thing though...it WAS my choice to pay full price....therefore I can do what I want with my tickets. Either way I'll be one of the 50k there this weekend cheering the Hogs....just as I'm sure all the other self righteous "true" Hog fans on Hogville will be too....lol. *sarcasm.

Kind of a sad way to look at the way your priorities are laid out.  My wife and kids are first and foremost, my job which I no longer have to worry about was always a distant thing from family, I knew I could always get a job, but not the family I have.  I bet your wife truly loves your list.

Rooka

Fantastic. Great story, Thanks for sharing.

Wildhog

Quote from: Rooka on October 24, 2014, 01:29:45 pm
Fantastic. Great story, Thanks for sharing.

Did you change your screen name?  Figure I would have noticed Rooka by now.  Makes me think about 'Waiting for my Ruca' by Sublime.  Now I have to listen to it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rooka

Quote from: Wildhog on October 24, 2014, 01:31:28 pm
Did you change your screen name?  Figure I would have noticed Rooka by now.  Makes me think about 'Waiting for my Ruca' by Sublime.  Now I have to listen to it.
Yes, few months back I believe.

code red

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 01:22:02 pm
So, you think the less than 500 they didn't sell, was more than the number they sold for $100? I bet they netted out way more by selling for $100, then if they had charged $65/ticket.
I think that is his point.  The university is taking advantage of foundation members and its going to cost them season ticket holders in the end.  Season ticket holders expect to get a return on their investment.  They expect to see home wins....that's across the board in the SEC.  I am not telling you anything you don't already know.  Can any of us afford to throw away 110 bucks a weekend??.  Especially those of us (like me) that have a 800 mile round trip to make a game.

code red

Yall need to go take a gander in the ticket forum.........over 20 threads on first page with 0 replies.  WOW. 

ricepig

Quote from: code red on October 24, 2014, 02:49:26 pm
I think that is his point.  The university is taking advantage of foundation members and its going to cost them season ticket holders in the end.  Season ticket holders expect to get a return on their investment.  They expect to see home wins....that's across the board in the SEC.  I am not telling you anything you don't already know.  Can any of us afford to throw away 110 bucks a weekend??.  Especially those of us (like me) that have a 800 mile round trip to make a game.

I've always said that the upper deck, outside of Pig Heaven should be cheaper and without a donation, get the fan's there. Fans can donate to build up points o later on move if they wish, but put butts in the seats.

I only travel 600 miles roundtrip, I've got it easy.

hogsanity

Hogs still have the 5th lowest tick cost in the SEC. Only ones lower are old misses ( and I bet they wont be after this season ), Mizzu, Ky, and Vandy.

thirtythree

Better get used to it. with the attractive non con schedule, attendance is going to be like this for a good while.

I really like how the U of A is selling a 4 pack for $100 for Fayetteville and $100 for just 1 to WMS. Nothing says desperation like that. The amount of money the university will lose by not selling out Fayetteville is a lot more than it would lose by not selling out WMS; especially if it is around the same amount of people that showed up.

Then, you have to ask yourself, how many fans from the rest of the state would have come to Fayetteville for these games had the university not been so eager to pump it's chest out.

ricepig

Quote from: thirtythree on October 24, 2014, 03:45:35 pm
Better get used to it. with the attractive non con schedule, attendance is going to be like this for a good while.

I really like how the U of A is selling a 4 pack for $100 for Fayetteville and $100 for just 1 to WMS. Nothing says desperation like that. The amount of money the university will lose by not selling out Fayetteville is a lot more than it would lose by not selling out WMS; especially if it is around the same amount of people that showed up.

Then, you have to ask yourself, how many fans from the rest of the state would have come to Fayetteville for these games had the university not been so eager to pump it's chest out.

You do realize that any ticket over 54,000 is better than WMS? This doesn't even factor in the club level seats, suites, concessions, parking, no rent..........

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 03:38:22 pm
Hogs still have the 5th lowest tick cost in the SEC. Only ones lower are old misses ( and I bet they wont be after this season ), Mizzu, Ky, and Vandy.

The Hogs also play in the least populated and one of the poorest states in the SEC. I personally think that by constantly trying to squeeze the fan base for every last cent they can, that the University risks losing some paying customers in the future.

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 03:54:50 pm
You do realize that any ticket over 54,000 is better than WMS? This doesn't even factor in the club level seats, suites, concessions, parking, no rent..........

You do realize that sometimes you have to give a little on the front end, to get more on the back end.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 04:08:12 pm
The Hogs also play in the least populated and one of the poorest states in the SEC. I personally think that by constantly trying to squeeze the fan base for every last cent they can, that the University risks losing some paying customers in the future.

At some point they will reach the point of diminishing return. So far they have not.

thirtythree

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 03:54:50 pm

not when you factor in the expenses of the missing amount of seats in Fayetteville. Plus, how empty that stadium is going to look with that many fans missing. It is all perception. It hasn't even been 1 week and you're starting to see what these non com games are going to look like in that 72K seat stadium.

You think if the administration wasn't worried about it, they wouldn't be offering the tickets like they are? They have got to keep their plan to show that they can fill that stadium with less attractive opponents. Even if it is giving the shaft to it's own fans.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 04:09:50 pm
You do realize that sometimes you have to give a little on the front end, to get more on the back end.

They are giving up in excess of $1.2mil when they play in LR, you going to make that up?

thirtythree

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 04:13:15 pm
They are giving up in excess of $1.2mil when they play in LR, you going to make that up?

lol. 1.2? Is that all? How much are they going to lose on the hill when the stadium only gets between 55K-60K for these non attractive games? Not to mention what recruits think when they visit and see all the empty seats.

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 04:13:15 pm

I don't think you understand the what I'm saying. They might lose $1.2 mil by playing in Little Rock (I think when all factors are considered that might be high), but the question is how much do we potentially lose by pissing everybody off that lives to the NE, E, SE, S, and SW of Little Rock. You do realize that a large # of foundation members and season ticket holders are from areas outside of NWA, why not throw them a bone every now in then; instead of always sticking it to them.

ricepig

Quote from: thirtythree on October 24, 2014, 04:15:43 pm
lol. 1.2? Is that all? How much are they going to lose on the hill when the stadium only gets between 55K-60K for these non attractive games? Not to mention what recruits think when they visit and see all the empty seats.

They won't lose any compared to the 40,000 that showed up for Samford and MSU last year.

Hogfaniam

They need tiered pricing for the less attractive games. Its obvious from looking on the free market, that these tickets need to be at least 1/2 what an attractive game should be. Nicholls St would've been good at half.  Fill the place up, cut concession prices.  Those package prices don't work well for the people that can only come to one or two games. 

When the product gets much better, then they can raise them back up.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogfaniam

Wait Til next year when more of the cost of health care starts hitting the market.  The people on the margins will have choices to make.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 04:19:55 pm
I don't think you understand the what I'm saying. They might lose $1.2 mil by playing in Little Rock (I think when all factors are considered that might be high), but the question is how much do we potentially lose by pissing everybody off that lives to the NE, E, SE, S, and SW of Little Rock. You do realize that a large # of foundation members and season ticket holders are from areas outside of NWA, why not throw them a bone every now in then; instead of always sticking it to them.

I live in NEA and it doesn't bother me to pass right past WMS at all. The games should be played on campus, and will. I won't decrease my donation one penny and no one I know will either because of the move. They all realize that times have changed, time to move on. My allegiance is to my alma mater and the football team, not to one particular stadium.

My first game was in WMS in 1967, this is 2014, time to move on.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 10:02:03 am
I am getting close with my car. Was driving through Fort Smith last week, in a residential area in the middle of town, right around dusk, and almost hit two crossing the road. 

Not to many years ago we hit one on the freeway between Razorback Rd and MLK exits. Right in the edge of town.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

WOW! A wonderful story of those that truly care about others and especially young one's! Kudo's to him and his wife.

MountieDawg

best chance to get another win this year.... Need to go
SEC!

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 04:25:14 pm
I live in NEA and it doesn't bother me to pass right past WMS at all. The games should be played on campus, and will. I won't decrease my donation one penny and no one I know will either because of the move. They all realize that times have changed, time to move on. My allegiance is to my alma mater and the football team, not to one particular stadium.

My first game was in WMS in 1967, this is 2014, time to move on.

Good for YOU, but who knows how the thousands of others will respond. I live in SWA, and I (or my family) have been a season ticket holder for 35+ yrs. My parents started with LR tickets, then expanded to Fayetteville when my sister and I later attended the University. I know many people in my town that have dropped their tickets, specifically because the University has eliminated games in LR. It's not because they are mad, or don't love the Hogs; it's because instead of having to eat tickets to 1-3 games due to travel conflicts, now they have to eat 3-5 with it possibly being more. After a while it's easier to just watch the majority of games on TV, and then buying tickets at the stadium or online when your schedule permits. All that equals fewer donations and fewer tickets purchased at face value.

Inhogswetrust

October 24, 2014, 04:49:49 pm #99 Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:52:37 pm by Inhogswetrust

As a longtime season ticket holder I do not to expect to see a return on my investment in the way of nothing but wins. My only expectations to see the Hogs is that they play hard and nobody gets hurt. Maybe they win and maybe they don't but my investment is my loyal emotional attachment and not the dollars! As long as they play hard and I can afford tickets I'll invest in them and I will continue to do so even if they go on a Cubs like streak. If they win then that's just iceing on the cake!