Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAB game attendance

Started by wonder, October 23, 2014, 07:51:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 26, 2014, 09:06:20 pm

You'd think someone that shells out $8.25 a ticket would stick around and get their money's worth.

But seriously, stay around and watch all the younger, less experienced guys get on the field.  It's games like this that future stars are sometimes born in.

I stayed until the PA guy signed off and the band played the alma mater.

Why? Very simple. I get six opportunities to watch the Razorbacks play football in Fayetteville this year. That's it. I've been going to games for over 30 years, but the older I get the more special I realize that is. For all I know, I may not get another opportunity.

HF#1

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2014, 09:45:21 pm
Bottom bowl holds 51,000, 90% full at max, upper decks hold 6000 each, 25%/East and 75%/West, the club section holds 9000, again 75%.

Are we talking about who was there after halftime, or max attendance?

I'm talking about at no time during the 4 quarters were there 60k people in the stadium.  I'd venture to guess that  we didn't break 50k.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2014, 09:41:10 pm
Again, lots of complaining from those who weren't there. You don't like the numbers, show up and quit bitching.

Lol.  Wasn't bitching at all.  I was there as far as you know.  Just pointing out what you already know - the announced attendance and the butts in seats weren't the same two numbers Saturday. The crowd didn't surprise me a bit.  Good crowd for an area as small as NWA.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 26, 2014, 09:47:05 pm
Lol.  Wasn't bitching at all.  I was there as far as you know.  Just pointing out what you already know - the announced attendance and the butts in seats weren't the same two numbers Saturday. The crowd didn't surprise me a bit.  Good crowd for an area as small as NWA.

You counted them?  Yep, LR MSA is 750,000 while Fayetteville's is 465,000. NWA does a great job supporting the Hogs, and of course, those of us who drive from NEA.

N HOG

But I thought fans from ALL OVER Arkansas were going to start packing The Palace as we phase out The Dump.

thirtythree

It's the same thing as when people wanted to make a point when Pel was the coach. They would say that the announced attendance was not the same as actual butts in the seats. Just depends on what side of the fence you want to be on.

I did not go and there is no way there was 60K people there. I knew that was going to be the case, as I have been saying it for a while. These "great" non com games are going to make that stadium look empty.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2014, 09:22:34 pm
They fail to see the irony.....

It's uncanny isn't it.........Like I said similarly in another post a few days ago. It's the same as the old adage of IF you don't vote then don't complain about the politicians or the government!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

Quote from: Joe Hog on October 26, 2014, 10:03:10 pm
Not at you.  Just saying some people have to work on game day.

Gotcha... 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: menehune on October 26, 2014, 09:59:18 pm
Dude...how old are you? What do you do for a living? How's your health?  Try to respond to a post thoughtfully, not just react without considering anything beyond trying to be right. 

57......own my own company, health better than most my age. Sacrificed to go to college, worked my posterior off to get that opportunity AND then years working for others to become independent of them except as being my customers. I'm not always right and have said so on here many times. I go to games and have donated and been a season ticket holder for years. In the past I had to work a LOT of weekends and couldn't go. I still sacrifice in other areas to do so now. Am I right all the time then NO but I've sure as heck earned a right to give my view on the Hogs ticket prices and what it takes to be able to go to games and the right to NOT hear others that bitch and moan yet are NOT willing to sacrifice to do so or have never been yet constantly complain.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 10:09:51 pm
He just simply stated some folks have to work on game day. 

As I had to a LOT of times in the past and still occasionally do so.

Joe Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2014, 10:07:03 pm
A LOT of people today work very long hours..................you are not unique. Besides IF you work that many hours and don't like it then do something about it to where you won't have to.

I know I employ lots of people.  Lots of good people not at the game.   And if they want to comment on this topic, I say go for it. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Joe Hog on October 26, 2014, 10:20:57 pm
I know I employ lots of people.  Lots of good people not at the game.   And if they want to comment on this topic, I say go for it. 

Employing them and them being good people are great...................for them to bitch and moan about having to work for you when they could do something to get a different job elsewhere and attend is another. They have no control over what hours you need for your employees to work..........but they DO have a recourse and control over what they can do to alleviate that obstacle. You see I'm not a bitch and moan about my lot in life type...........I'm a IF I don't like it I'll do something about it type...........

Joe Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2014, 10:17:18 pm
57......own my own company, health better than most my age. Sacrificed to go to college, worked my posterior off to get that opportunity AND then years working for others to become independent of them except as being my customers. I'm not always right and have said so on here many times. I go to games and have donated and been a season ticket holder for years. In the past I had to work a LOT of weekends and couldn't go. I still sacrifice in other areas to do so now. Am I right all the time then NO but I've sure as heck earned a right to give my view on the Hogs ticket prices and what it takes to be able to go to games and the right to NOT hear others that bitch and moan yet are NOT willing to sacrifice to do so or have never been yet constantly complain.

Happy for you.  I love a success story. 

Just don't agree with you on some things. 

bphi11ips

I'd love to shoot pool for a living.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Joe Hog on October 26, 2014, 10:32:06 pm
Happy for you.  I love a success story. 

Just don't agree with you on some things. 

Thank you and no ill will towards you. We can agree to disagree. I DO understand that there are times and reasons for some to not be able to attend. What I do not like is those that complain CONSTANTLY (and I'm not saying you are one of those) yet have never done anything about it when they could have.

opineonswine

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 09:04:02 pm
No way there was 60k there.  No way in hades.  At no point in time was there more than 50k in that place.
Were you there?  You are dead wrong.

opineonswine

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 09:46:57 pm
I'm talking about at no time during the 4 quarters were there 60k people in the stadium.  I'd venture to guess that  we didn't break 50k.
We beat the crap out of a cupcake, game was over and it was a beautiful day. Why stay and watch time tick? 
There were 61,800 people whose ticket was scanned. They came, they saw, we conquered and they left. Not a mystery.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: opineonswine on October 27, 2014, 07:34:41 am
We beat the crap out of a cupcake, game was over and it was a beautiful day. Why stay and watch time tick? 
There were 61,800 people whose ticket was scanned. They came, they saw, we conquered and they left. Not a mystery.

In a game like that, at any one time, there are thousands underneath the stands.  Talking, eating, exploring the stadium, leaving.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: N HOG on October 26, 2014, 09:43:58 pm
Two points:

1. I was there.

2. 61,800......NO.

I was also there and was shocked at the amount of empty seats I saw.   Don't really care how it looked on TV, but I'm betting the players were thinking "WTH?".....  I simply don't understand, regardless of season success or not, why it was not almost full.    There is plenty of population to fill that stadium to overflowing within a 1 hour drive to Fayetteville (I drove 5, FWIW)......  sheesh
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RazorPiggie

Student Section mid 3rd Qtr

I've really been let down by our students over the years.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 27, 2014, 09:58:03 am

The students left at halftime, it looked about 90% full mid first quarter. We definitely haven't seen a big increase in student participation with the student population increase. I think we hit a student record of something over 6500 earlier this year.

Hogfaniam

My wife asked what the empty section was. "It's the student section". Where are they? "It's Homecoming weekend and the score was 35-0 at halftime.  Where do you think they are?" Ooooooh

We're many in the upper deck party zone?  Anybody have pics of what it looks like up there now?

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Its the fraternity and sorority crowd. They don't instill the pride into their members to stay til the end. They are much more interested in going back to their houses and partying, instead of supporting their team.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 27, 2014, 10:26:59 am
Its the fraternity and sorority crowd. They don't instill the pride into their members to stay til the end. They are much more interested in going back to their houses and partying, instead of supporting their team.

Actually, the freshman pledges have to go to the game and take a date, and wear a suit. Most SEC fraternities do this. There's a large participation by the greek community and they actually make homecoming fun.

Problem is, the university is so strict about student ID's, purse checks, and making sure you don't sneak booze into a game that it SUCKS both waiting in line and sitting in the student section. The line to get in takes significantly longer to get in than regular gates because of this. In the 5 years I was a student up there, I may have sat in the student section 8 or 9 times. I always tried to find cheap regular tickets to avoid going through Homeland Security to get in a game.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2014, 04:50:34 pm
No, but I heard they always sell more than games at WMS???

Well sure.....if you wanna count the students that attend, but never travel to LR, or
for that matter anywhere else. Guess that might depend on who we're playing too though.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2014, 04:50:34 pm
No, but I heard they always sell more than games at WMS???

I've witnessed lots of things other than games being sold at WMS

DLUXHOG

Please.... GSD is dead.   There is no question that DWRRS is a better venue with only 10,000 in attendance vs a packed house at WMS...  FACT!   Let this be done and let's all support, and attend, Razorback games in the facilities in Fayetteville.   We're never going back to the old days, thank goodness...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 27, 2014, 10:36:47 am

Problem is, the university is so strict about student ID's, purse checks, and making sure you don't sneak booze into a game that it SUCKS both waiting in line and sitting in the student section. The line to get in takes significantly longer to get in than regular gates because of this. In the 5 years I was a student up there, I may have sat in the student section 8 or 9 times. I always tried to find cheap regular tickets to avoid going through Homeland Security to get in a game.

I will agree with this. When I went up there it took forever to get in. Surely they can speed that up somehow. Maybe start letting students in at 8am regardless of game time?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 27, 2014, 10:47:04 am
I will agree with this. When I went up there it took forever to get in. Surely they can speed that up somehow. Maybe start letting students in at 8am regardless of game time?

No, just stop treating students like suspected terrorists. Truth is, they are just looking for flasks and other glass bottles. Someone threw one from the upper deck years ago and hit an usher in the head. I blame that on the University for keeping Nutt so long.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 27, 2014, 10:36:47 am
Actually, the freshman pledges have to go to the game and take a date, and wear a suit. Most SEC fraternities do this. There's a large participation by the greek community and they actually make homecoming fun.

Was a student at the UofA from 2007 to December 2013 (4 years undergrad, 2.5 years of law school), got student tickets every year and went to almost every game. I never found it hard to enter a game. Walk up, scan id, get wristband, and go get a seat. My wife had to get her purse checked if she took one, but that only took a second.

I can't tell you how many times I heard late in the 2nd quarter or 3rd quarter "hey, want to go back to the house?" and a whole section of people would just leave.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 27, 2014, 10:55:13 am
Was a student at the UofA from 2007 to 2013 (4 years undergrad, 2.5 years of law school), got student tickets every year and went to almost every game. I never found it hard to enter a game. Walk up, scan id, get wristband, and go get a seat. My wife had to get her purse checked if she took one, but that only took a second.

I was patted down regularly and even had to have 2 forms of id's at one point. this was from 03-08

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 27, 2014, 10:56:18 am
I was patted down regularly and even had to have 2 forms of id's at one point. this was from 03-08

In my 7 years in the student section, I was never once patted down or asked to pull up a pant leg or open my jacket.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2014, 09:33:42 pm
61,800, about what one could expect for a cupcake at 11AM with several losses lately.

Still 6000 more than the War Memorial Stadium record.

hawgsalot

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2014, 09:45:21 pm
Bottom bowl holds 51,000, 90% full at max, upper decks hold 6000 each, 25%/East and 75%/West, the club section holds 9000, again 75%.

Are we talking about who was there after halftime, or max attendance?

Well I was there and don't live in Fayetteville nor LR, closer to LR than Fayetteville.  I also spent the 2nd qtr on the field so got a good look all the way around.  60,000 seems right to me half way through the 1st qtr til half.  The bottom bowl wasn't 100% full but it was pretty close, accept UABs section.  The centers of the upper deck were full, the corners not.  Endzone club section started slow but was pretty full in the 2nd qtr.  No way embarrassing for an 11am nonconference game after a bad LR game. 

I will say this for all you LR crybabies/pot stir guys, the bottom line is Fayetteville had more butts in the seats playing a rent a win than LR did playing a Top 10 team.  That is whats embarrassing for the program to me.  I went to both games and really don't care if we play a game in LR as long as we sell it out.

The_Iceman

I spoke to a man Saturday who was a Georgia fan that went to the LR game. He was on a road trip with his wife and we met in Branson. I was embarrassed for our program after hearing his experience. He was wondering why we would play in such a small, junky stadium when we have such a beautiful place in Fayetteville.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 27, 2014, 10:56:18 am

Maybe you look like a terrorist?

lstewart

We sit on the lower level, west side. I've gotten used to estimating the crowd for hog football and basketball games from scanning the seats I can see from my seat, and I usually have a pretty good guess. based upon mid first quarter, I was guessing about 60,000 Sat, so the announced crowd seems to be in the ballpark. It did really empty out in the second half with the big lead. Pretty day and fun for the first half.

jacobp

Quote from: lstewart on October 27, 2014, 11:13:41 am
We sit on the lower level, west side. I've gotten used to estimating the crowd for hog football and basketball games from scanning the seats I can see from my seat, and I usually have a pretty good guess. based upon mid first quarter, I was guessing about 60,000 Sat, so the announced crowd seems to be in the ballpark. It did really empty out in the second half with the big lead. Pretty day and fun for the first half.

I was there as well in section 104. 60k seemed like a pretty accurate number to me. Definitely emptied out after half time, but that's to be expected in a game like that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lstewart on October 27, 2014, 11:13:41 am

I thought so from the televised shots as well.

West side lower is about 21000 seats.  Looked almost full.
East side lower 21000.  Looked to be about 80%.
West Upper 8000.  Looked almost full.
East Upper 8000.  Little less than 50%.

Out of these sections, estimate should have been about 49,000.  I didn't get a good look at the SEZ and couldn't see into the club areas.  But those suggesting there wasn't 50,000 there are way off. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

opineonswine

Look...they scan every ticket now.  It's not like the old days when they estimated attendance.  When Jeff Long came here he knew they had been exaggerating attendance especially at Bud Walton Arena.  They give the exact number of people that have tickets scanned now.

There were 61,800 people there Saturday.  What's the debate? 

ricepig

Quote from: opineonswine on October 27, 2014, 12:31:38 pm
Look...they scan every ticket now.  It's not like the old days when they estimated attendance.  When Jeff Long came here he knew they had been exaggerating attendance especially at Bud Walton Arena.  They give the exact number of people that have tickets scanned now.

There were 61,800 people there Saturday.  What's the debate? 

Truthfully, they scan the tickets, add in staff, players, and all other personnel in the stadium.

Dirty

Counting the band, cheerleaders, flags, etc.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2014, 12:34:55 pm
Truthfully, they scan the tickets, add in staff, players, and all other personnel in the stadium.

Yes.  That is how BWA crowds were regularly over 20-21,000 in the 90s when seating capacity was 19,200.  They count everyone. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogfan10

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 26, 2014, 01:36:30 pm
You still don't get it.  Those of us that are members of the foundation pay more than $100 a ticket.  Yes, you can be a fan from your couch but what irritates me are the 'couch' fans are the ones who come on here and talk down about attendance or bring up the GSD.   

1) I don't consider myself a "couch fan", I've personally attended 100's of games in and out of Arkansas' borders.
2) I have never complained about attendance at either stadium, my complaint in this thread is that there are two different standards for buying single game tickets; depending on which stadium the game is being played.
3) I guess you missed where I stated that I have been a RF member for 35+ years of my life. I'm quiet aware of how much tickets can cost a RF donor.

RazorbackRon

October 27, 2014, 04:32:46 pm #295 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:46:29 pm by RazorbackRon
Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 09:04:02 pm
No way there was 60k there.  No way in hades.  At no point in time was there more than 50k in that place. 

You are now officially classified as a DOOFUS (and that's the nicest word I can think of).
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: HF#1 on October 26, 2014, 09:41:41 pm
I had to work as well. I've been to hundreds of games.  It's not hard to tell from the pics/TV angles that the attendance was way worse than normal, even for a cupcake.

You get to be a bigger DOOFUS with every post of yours I read.  For a fan that's attended hundreds of games, you have a very poor crowd estimate unless you are talking about all the high school games you have attended.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

menehune

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2014, 10:17:18 pm

Don't believe you heard me bitch, moan, or constantly complain.  For the record - Started going to games in 1958 (season tickets that we still have); just turned 60 years old, two time cancer survivor - so you'll forgive me if I don't appreciate your sanctimonious attitude toward my fatigue and others' situations that you have commented on.  Glad you are healthy and have made something of yourself through sacrifice and hard work; you might want to try a dose of humility to temper the intensity of your post.