Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAB game attendance

Started by wonder, October 23, 2014, 07:51:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 04:44:40 pm
Good for YOU, but who knows how the thousands of others will respond. I live in SWA, and I (or my family) have been a season ticket holder for 35+ yrs. My parents started with LR tickets, then expanded to Fayetteville when my sister and I later attended the University. I know many people in my town that have dropped their tickets, specifically because the University has eliminated games in LR. It's not because they are mad, or don't love the Hogs; it's because instead of having to eat tickets to 1-3 games due to travel conflicts, now they have to eat 3-5 with it possibly being more. After a while it's easier to just watch the majority of games on TV, and then buying tickets at the stadium or online when your schedule permits. All that equals fewer donations and fewer tickets purchased at face value.

So, you think one game in LR is going to make the difference in whether someone continues to get season tickets at both places? I'm sure they've run the numbers and no what the potential loss vs gain is. Like in all sports, winning cures a lot of problems. They had mini plans this year for SEC and non-con games, I suspect those will continue in the future. One doesn't have to have season tickets to attend games, so that problem is solved.

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 05:02:16 pm
So, you think one game in LR is going to make the difference in whether someone continues to get season tickets at both places? I'm sure they've run the numbers and no what the potential loss vs gain is. Like in all sports, winning cures a lot of problems. They had mini plans this year for SEC and non-con games, I suspect those will continue in the future. One doesn't have to have season tickets to attend games, so that problem is solved.

I would think the University would rather sale season ticket packages w/donations attached, opposed to having to hustle "packages", and I'm positive they don't like sending out emails mid-week promoting 1/2 price tickets for Saturday's HOMECOMING game.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 05:17:40 pm
I would think the University would rather sale season ticket packages w/donations attached, opposed to having to hustle "packages", and I'm positive they don't like sending out emails mid-week promoting 1/2 price tickets for Saturday's HOMECOMING game.

No doubt, but you just said that you/several weren't going to buy season tickets due to the distance. Did you buy them this year with only one LR game, last year with two LR games? If someone bought season tickets this year in Fayetteville and LR, I doubt they drop them because Toledo is the LR game next year. They may drop them because of money, time constraints, team not winning, but playing a game in LR or not won't be the deciding factor for most.

thirtythree

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 05:42:07 pm
No doubt, but you just said that you/several weren't going to buy season tickets due to the distance. Did you buy them this year with only one LR game, last year with two LR games? If someone bought season tickets this year in Fayetteville and LR, I doubt they drop them because Toledo is the LR game next year. They may drop them because of money, time constraints, team not winning, but playing a game in LR or not won't be the deciding factor for most.

This is where I strongly disagree. The fan base down here, for the large part, feels like they helped the Razorbacks when they couldn't even fill 30K seats. Now, since the stadium is at 72K and in the SEC, it's like thanks, but no thanks. To have that ONE game would mean a hell of a lot to the people down here.

Me personally, I would love nothing more than to be able to drive to Fayetteville for games. I just can't; budget is the biggest problem for a lot of people. It doesn't matter if the team is doing well or not. It doesn't pay the bills.

Then, when the administration pulls their tricks like they did last week with the $35 extra per ticket, and then sell 4 for $100 for this week. How does look to the fan down south of Fayetteville?

Little Rock, and surrounding areas, have been GREAT supporters of the program. Now, Jeff Long is willing to alienate a fan base over a few dollars. With the money that this program pulls in, it is worth it to keep a tradition going.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 23, 2014, 10:13:52 pm
OK, LRAFB, Razoredge and Big Papa....all three of you guys are predicting 50k for the UAB game.  I have a question, which, if nay of you guys will be in attendance Sat?

I will, how about you? Were you at the WMS game last Sat?   Just curious about 3 naysayers.

Some people work.

ricepig

Quote from: thirtythree on October 24, 2014, 05:56:22 pm
This is where I strongly disagree. The fan base down here, for the large part, feels like they helped the Razorbacks when they couldn't even fill 30K seats. Now, since the stadium is at 72K and in the SEC, it's like thanks, but no thanks. To have that ONE game would mean a hell of a lot to the people down here.

Me personally, I would love nothing more than to be able to drive to Fayetteville for games. I just can't; budget is the biggest problem for a lot of people. It doesn't matter if the team is doing well or not. It doesn't pay the bills.

Then, when the administration pulls their tricks like they did last week with the $35 extra per ticket, and then sell 4 for $100 for this week. How does look to the fan down south of Fayetteville?

Little Rock, and surrounding areas, have been GREAT supporters of the program. Now, Jeff Long is willing to alienate a fan base over a few dollars. With the money that this program pulls in, it is worth it to keep a tradition going.

There was no tricks pulled, those tickets required a $75 donation the year before for two games, they gave you a $2.50 break. The tickets that sold for $65 were Georgia turn back tickets that were returned. All this info is readily available if one doesn't get their info from Randy Rainwater, call the RF! There is a possibility of one game going forward, but don't expect it to be a SEC game.

We used to play at Quigley, do we need to schedule one there?

Inhogswetrust

October 24, 2014, 06:08:49 pm #106 Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:32:59 pm by Inhogswetrust

Has Long alienated SOME fans probably so...................to say he has alienated ALL or even a large majority of the fanbase as a whole then that's just an opinion without a factual basis.

Soory gotta go now. My Granddaughter wants to watch Pirate Fairy movie! As always she has priority!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thirtythree

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2014, 06:08:49 pm
Has Long alienated SOME fans probably so...................to say he has alienated ALL or even a large majority of the fanbase as a whole then that's just an opinion without a factual basis.

Soory gotta go now. My Granddaughter wants to watch Pirate Fairy movie! As always she has priority!

To say otherwise is the same opinion. I would say the level of calls, posts and tweets have been majority ticked off at what is happening.

As far as one game moving forward, I would have no problem with that. However, the non com games have to get better or both sites are going to suffer. People don't want to spend money to watch the sisters of the blind; whether it is close or not.

code red

Here is my point.  If want to bash Bobby P for what did to set us back. Then you also got to admit what he did in 2010 - 2011 was awesome. .This program right now is listing. It is dead at sea. The lack of discipline last weekend was egregious. If you are fine with that then that's your deal. I for one expect something more because I've seen it and I know what can happen at Arkansas!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

elksnort

It will be great when Arkansas can win football games more so than winning arguments over which stadium to play in. 

3kgthog

Quote from: elksnort on October 24, 2014, 11:03:23 pm
It will be great when Arkansas can win football games more so than winning arguments over which stadium to play in. 

Games in LR may be taken away before we win an SEC game again.

Slavic1

Looked like about 50k on TV. We were embarrassed how many empty seats there were...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Slavic1 on October 25, 2014, 05:56:39 pm
Looked like about 50k on TV. We were embarrassed how many empty seats there were...

Why would you be embarassed? Go to the game, enjoy the atmosphere...if others choose not to attend, that's their loss.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BOAR_N2BWILD

I work at a college and if I do not use my tickets I always donate them to students that normally do not get to go. I especially like to give them to married couples who are struggling financially to make it through school. Just seems like the right thing to do.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

ricepig

Quote from: Slavic1 on October 25, 2014, 05:56:39 pm

Count again......

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 24, 2014, 05:42:07 pm
Dropped my tickets last year. For two reasons.
1) with kids 7-12 years old we just can't make games in Fayetteville that often, because of their weekend activities. I was to the point where I made the 1/2 big games, and was stuck with the remaining 3/4 games tickets. Couldn't give them away most of the time.
2) I was going to keep my seats in LR, but was curious what my donation requirement would be if I was only buying LR tickets (keep in mind I hadn't decided if I was going to keep donating at the same level or lower it yet). Well, to my surprise, I was told that if I wanted to keep the seats that I had had for the prior 15+ years; I would have to continue donating the same amount that I was when I was buying tickets in both locations. So I made a snap decision, and told them to keep their tickets. My tickets would have cost me $300+ per ticket to watch the Hogs play Richmond and MSU (pre relevance).

I received at least 5+ calls last season asking me to reconsider, and still continue to get emails on a weekly basis.

The point of all this is, that with no games in LR (at least relevant ones), SOME people will choose to watch on TV (attend a couple when they can), and forgo donating to the RFoundation. My donation money goes to the Universty (school) now, instead of being split between the two (RF & school).

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 25, 2014, 07:27:18 pm
Dropped my tickets last year. For two reasons.
1) with kids 7-12 years old we just can't make games in Fayetteville that often, because of their weekend activities. I was to the point where I made the 1/2 big games, and was stuck with the remaining 3/4 games tickets. Couldn't give them away most of the time.
2) I was going to keep my seats in LR, but was curious what my donation requirement would be if I was only buying LR tickets (keep in mind I hadn't decided if I was going to keep donating at the same level or lower it yet). Well, to my surprise, I was told that if I wanted to keep the seats that I had had for the prior 15+ years; I would have to continue donating the same amount that I was when I was buying tickets in both locations. So I made a snap decision, and told them to keep their tickets. My tickets would have cost my $300+ per ticket to watch the Hogs play Richmond and MSU (pre relevance).

I received at least 5+ calls last season asking me to reconsider, and still continue to get emails on a weekly basis.

The point of all this is, that with no games in LR (at least relevant ones), SOME people will chose to watch on TV (attend a couple when they can), and forgo donating to the RFoundation. My donation money goes to the Universty (school) now, instead of being split between the two (RF & school).

As is your prerogative, we all make decisions for family, budget, or different priorities. The RF and athletic department's job is to maximize income, they'll lose some, gain some, and some won't be happy.

RazorbackRon

Just got home from the game today.  The lower bowl was 90% full and the upper bowl on the west side was mostly full.  I would think it was a 60k crowd especially when you compare it to the WMS crowd of 53k last week.

2 things to note.  1st - Every central AR fan should take a trip up the Pig Trail at least once a season.  The colors are just beginning to turn but no matter what, it is a beautiful drive through the canopy of trees.

2nd - Hugo's is one of my favorite places in Fayetteville.  Still looks the same from when I used to hang out there in the 70's.

WPS
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 25, 2014, 08:08:05 pm
Just got home from the game today.  The lower bowl was 90% full and the upper bowl on the west side was mostly full.  I would think it was a 60k crowd especially when you compare it to the WMS crowd of 53k last week.

2 things to note.  1st - Every central AR fan should take a trip up the Pig Trail at least once a season.  The colors are just beginning to turn but no matter what, it is a beautiful drive through the canopy of trees.

2nd - Hugo's is one of my favorite places in Fayetteville.  Still looks the same from when I used to hang out there in the 70's.

WPS

Love Hugo's, but the place needs to be bigger, lol.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 08:09:18 pm

Yep, same as it what 40 years ago.  There was a line when we got there Friday night and a line when we left.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 25, 2014, 08:12:07 pm
Yep, same as it what 40 years ago.  There was a line when we got there Friday night and a line when we left.

Same people in line today when you left town?

RazorbackRon

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 08:13:15 pm
Same people in line today when you left town?

lol, no.  There was still a line when we left Friday night after our dinner.   The place is always crowded, loud and dimly lit but it's got great food and atmosphere.  Old time Fayetteville at it's best.

LZH

This is 100% correct.

And as for sellouts, I hate to say it but until we start winning some ball games our attendance numbers are gonna keep suffering.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on October 25, 2014, 06:22:47 pm
I work at a college and if I do not use my tickets I always donate them to students that normally do not get to go. I especially like to give them to married couples who are struggling financially to make it through school. Just seems like the right thing to do.

Good for you! Not only is it the right thing to do it it is good of you to do so. All fans that can't go should be so kind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hobhog

LSU and Ole Miss games will be full. No worries. Let's move on.....

(notOM)Rebel123

30,000? My gosh, how far back are you going? How many of those people are still living?
But as far as the $100 UGA tix, yeah, I must agree....that was pretty weak.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 25, 2014, 08:16:38 pm
lol, no.  There was still a line when we left Friday night after our dinner.   The place is always crowded, loud and dimly lit but it's got great food and atmosphere.  Old time Fayetteville at it's best.

Oh, I know, been eating there since 1977.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 25, 2014, 08:34:08 pm
30,000? My gosh, how far back are you going? How many of those people are still living?
But as far as the $100 UGA tix, yeah, I must agree....that was pretty weak.

Hugo was the coach, or was it a restaurant??

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 08:39:36 pm
Hugo was the coach, or was it a restaurant??

Former Coach...still has a restaurant. Ha!

HognotinMemphis

Big Cedar Lodge and Top of the Rock have been beautiful since Thurs. glad I was here and not at the game.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 24, 2014, 04:44:40 pm
Good for YOU, but who knows how the thousands of others will respond. I live in SWA, and I (or my family) have been a season ticket holder for 35+ yrs. My parents started with LR tickets, then expanded to Fayetteville when my sister and I later attended the University. I know many people in my town that have dropped their tickets, specifically because the University has eliminated games in LR. It's not because they are mad, or don't love the Hogs; it's because instead of having to eat tickets to 1-3 games due to travel conflicts, now they have to eat 3-5 with it possibly being more. After a while it's easier to just watch the majority of games on TV, and then buying tickets at the stadium or online when your schedule permits. All that equals fewer donations and fewer tickets purchased at face value.

Good for you.  Home games should be played on campus.  Period.  If you don't like it too damn bad. Take your "support" and move on.  You won't be missed. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 26, 2014, 08:47:26 am
Big Cedar Lodge and Top of the Rock have been beautiful since Thurs. glad I was here and not at the game.

Does it not hurt when you "Doosh" so hard? Or are you just used to it?
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Wants2Win

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 26, 2014, 08:54:11 am
Good for you.  Home games should be played on campus.  Period.  If you don't like it too damn bad. Take your "support" and move on.  You won't be missed.
Nice attitude.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 08:09:18 pm

The start of the GDRD..............................The Great Dining Room Debate.

earshot

Box score says 61,800.  That's 5,000 more people than the record attendance at War Memorial.

Inhogswetrust

You were close enough to see all of them.....................

Hawg414

Quote from: hogsanity on October 24, 2014, 09:56:27 am
what if the only way some dad can take his kids or family to a game once in a while is to take the "cheap way out"?

this is of zero concern to you when discussing games at WMS.

convenient that you use it as reasoning in this scenario.

ricepig

Quote from: Joe Hog on October 26, 2014, 09:11:25 am
RRS looked empty on tv.
I would be embarrassed.

Were you there?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 26, 2014, 09:00:28 am
Does it not hurt when you "Doosh" so hard? Or are you just used to it?

HaHa! Funny post of the day candidate!

(notOM)Rebel123

RRS looked empty on tv.
I would be embarrassed.

Embarassed? Why?

(notOM)Rebel123

I'd bet there are others who were glad you weren't there either.

opineonswine

I guessed attendance at 61,200. Note:  I WAS there. Official attendance was 61,800.

WilsonHog

October 26, 2014, 12:11:45 pm #142 Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:33:31 pm by WilsonHog
I was there as well. Drove up about 10:00 p.m. Friday night after working a high school game.

Had a great time.

(Oh, and despite the fact that I attended games at WMS prior to the expansion of RRS, and drive past Little Rock on my ways to games in Fayetteville, I also believe all games should be played on campus.)

hobhog

Hate much?

hogfan10

You must work for the university athletic department with an attitude like that.  Got news for you this is a small state, with no population explosion expected in the future; it would be wise not to burn too many bridges over petty things (a few $, in the grand scheme of things). I hope you're not one the posters complaining about low attendance at particular games.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 26, 2014, 12:26:46 pm
You must work for the university athletic department with an attitude like that.  Got news for you this is a small state, with no population explosion expected in the future; it would be wise not to burn too many bridges over petty things (a few $, in the grand scheme of things). I hope you're not one the posters complaining about low attendance at particular games.

That "small population state" thing doesn't explain WHY attendance is down at almost all stadiums across the country recently..........

hogfan10

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 07:31:52 pm
As is your prerogative, we all make decisions for family, budget, or different priorities. The RF and athletic department's job is to maximize income, they'll lose some, gain some, and some won't be happy.

There are two philosophies in income maximization.

1) Get all you can get now (UAs current philosophy).
2) Build a buying base, and hope to grow it over the years.

Method one works in good times, doesn't in the bad.
Method two works over the long haul, through good and bad times.

WilsonHog

RRS looked empty on tv.
I would be embarrassed.

I would be embarrassed too if I saw empty seats from my couch. I would be even more embarrassed to log onto a message board to point that out.

Btw, I WAS there.

It wasn't empty.

hogfan10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2014, 12:31:07 pm
That "small population state" thing doesn't explain WHY attendance is down at almost all stadiums across the country recently..........

So there's an attendance problem nationwide, yet the UA decides to screw over the LR fans with $100 tickets. Makes sense, I'm sure those same fans will be knocking the door down to get screwed again in the future. And, with a smaller population base, we should really be careful with how we treat the fans that are willing to pay to watch a game.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 26, 2014, 12:43:51 pm
So there's an attendance problem nationwide, yet the UA decides to screw over the LR fans with $100 tickets. Makes sense, I'm sure those same fans will be knocking the door down to get screwed again in the future. And, with a smaller population base, we should really be careful with how we treat the fans that are willing to pay to watch a game.

You do know those tickets in the end zone required a $75 RF donation last year, and they gave the seats a $2.50 break in $35 this year? And that for a $50 RF donation you could have bought multiple tickets, decreasing the cost?