Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on the K. Marshall situation, and discipline overall...

Started by Augustus, October 22, 2014, 08:28:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

demonHOG1013

My DB coach in college used to say "If discipline wins football games, then Air Force, Army, and Navy would be undefeated every year."

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 22, 2014, 09:28:32 pm
The older I get - and I'm older than I'd like to be - the more I appreciate the discipline and the less I want to win hollow titles like Cam/Auburn or Jameis/FSU. 

I almost started a thread after CBB's post-game presser after the Alabama loss, but decided against it.  Seeing how emotional he was and how he hurt so much for the players made a real impression on me.  You don't fake that stuff.  He wants success for these kids, but he's not going to shortcut it.  He believes that hard work and doing things the right way will be rewarded, and I appreciate that.  If I had a son that was a D-1 prospect, I'd want him to play for someone like our coach.

If what I just typed is outdated, then I guess I'm just outdated myself.

This is awesome.  "Way to go Hamilton!"

[attachment deleted by admin]
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 23, 2014, 09:41:38 am
This is awesome.  "Way to Hamilton!"

I can only aspire to ever be as cool as Spicoli.  Sadly, it will never happen.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 23, 2014, 09:31:05 am
My DB coach in college used to say "If discipline wins football games, then Air Force, Army, and Navy would be undefeated every year."

Talent and discipline don't have to be exclusive to the other.  It takes talent to win especially when there is a disparity which can happen in the SEC with a couple of bad classes or attrition.  Discipline helps reduce attrition.  Discipline now will help the stability and consistency of the program once it begins winning as more talent and depth come into the program. 

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2014, 01:13:41 am

One thing that is interesting and notable to me here...if expectations are this low, this would be an EXCELLENT place to coach. Multi millions of dollars/year with low winning expectations. What more could you ask for? And I have zero doubt...if coach Bielema gets to where he wins 6-8/year with no scandals and keeps this image and perception up...he can be here for 30 years or whenever he wants to leave or retire.

Expectations aren't low over the long term and 6-7 wins per year will not keep a coach at Arkansas for 30 years.  Nutt averaged 7.5 wins and Petrino 8.5.  A coach has to fall in this range or they will not be at Arkansas for as long as they may want.  If Bielema gets to the point where he believes winning 6-8 a season is the ceiling, he will smartly leave.  He is too young to waste his career at Arkansas when he could claim he rebuilt the program up from where it was and he'll find an easier place to win.  If he doesn't do it willingly, we'll help him make that decision to leave just as we have former coaches. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

With some folks it's about what you can prove and what you can deliver.  Not everybody is going to appreciate the fact that the players are held accountable.  After all, personal responsibility and accountability is rare now a days.  Excuse making and covering up is the way of the world now.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogJowler

I am 64 and 100% agree with the original poster.  The way you win does matter more than IF you win.  There is no shame in losing when you give your best in the effort.

Every great structure starts with a good solid foundation.

If CB continues to recruit good character qualified athletes as he has, sets high expectations and standards, and holds these young men to these standards, they will win games.  And in the process he will help develop strong young men who will succeed and help others to succeed.

I for one am tired of our program being a laughing stock around the country. (and it hasn't all been for losing).

People notice.  If we build it they will come.  Success breeds success. 

I am not any more happy with losing than anyone else but it is a small price to pay for long term integrity and success.

go Hogs.

trashcan maN

Having your sports career end at 22 when you have based your entire life on them can be brutal for young men, especially ones from underprivileged backgrounds.

I'm glad that the men that choose to represent my home state are being given tools to succeed outside of sports and not just coddled to and pushed through the pipeline.

Any young man, regardless of background, that makes it through 5 years of Bielema ball will have some tools that will be valuable in any workplace.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 11:54:23 am
Talent and discipline don't have to be exclusive to the other.  It takes talent to win especially when there is a disparity which can happen in the SEC with a couple of bad classes or attrition.  Discipline helps reduce attrition.  Discipline now will help the stability and consistency of the program once it begins winning as more talent and depth come into the program. 

I think he just meant that it doesnt matter how disciplined you are, if you dont have the athletes its tough to win consistently