Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thoughts on the K. Marshall situation, and discipline overall...

Started by Augustus, October 22, 2014, 08:28:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Thinking about the FSU fiasco of the last 2 years, and also Auburn with the Nick Marshall pot arrest at Auburn... I, for one, am glad to see Bielema taking the stance that he has with our players.

That's discipline, and I like it.  We all made comments and jokes about Nick Marshall and when Malzahn would bring him in the 1st game of the season.  AND, he got arrested.

We've had zero arrests this year, and Bielema is still preaching discipline. Not just for the news-worthy events, but just for responsibility and behavior in general. On a day-to-day basis.

Has it possibly hurt our team? Maybe. But, then again, if we hadn't made so many stupid mistakes/penalties/turnovers... I think we still could've won those games while even sitting Collins, Marshall, whoever.

I'm liking Bielema's approach, and I think it will pay off in the long term. For those who buy into it long term.

Let's just hope all of our players, everyone of them, continue to buy into it.

Edit:  I also applaud Georgia's and Florida's response of late, in the manner they handled recent events of late. Bama? Had a player injured out for the season who got busted with a quarter pound of pot, and I've not heard one more thing about it, after the day it was released.

Mike Irwin

Whatever "rumor" you've heard is just that, just a rumor. Officially he violated university policy. Be careful what you post or this thread will get likely get locked just like the others that contained speculation as to what got him suspended.

RazorbackRon

Agree 100%.  Start with discipline off the field and it will carry onto the field.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

JaketheSnake

tophawg19

i look for us to take at least 2 RB's this season because CBB  will not hesitate to move on if a player can't/won't stay out of trouble . He means what he says . I hope Marshall takes it to heart because one more and even CBB  can't save him from the disciplinary board . Hopefully AC  matures and gets focused on being a team player and a leader
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Augustus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 08:35:27 pm
Whatever "rumor" you've heard is just that, just a rumor. Officially he violated university policy. Be careful what you post or this thread will get likely get locked just like the others that contained speculation as to what got him suspended.

Good point, Mike. And agreed. My thought is just, I like that Bielema seems to hold our players to a very high level of accountability, regardless of whatever it is.

I mean... even thinking back to Collins' 1st touchdown celebration penalty. He noted it in the post-game presser, and said it would not happen again.  Since then, it seems like Alex always just hands the ball to the Refs, when he's done running.

bphi11ips

When it comes to discipline I trust this coach.  Don't need any details. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike Irwin

Any coach who suspends one of his best players for missing a morning weight lifting session on the Friday of a bye week is dead serious about discipline.

rude1

When you are losing to everyone in the conference, I guess having the champion team of character is at least something to hang a hat on.

rude1

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 22, 2014, 09:19:36 pm
So win.no matter what is your style.  Gotcha, your a CBP hugger.
Yeah cause BP is the only coach that wins. Utter nonsense. I just enjoying winning, that bragging about how disciplined your team is, is for teams who aren't winning.

Augustus

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2014, 09:17:53 pm
When you are losing to everyone in the conference, I guess having the champion team of character is at least something to hang a hat on.

Did you see the Jimbo & Jameis talk midfield, surrounded by press, right after they beat Notre Dame? Even after everything Jameis has been through... Jimbo had to tell that kid, on National TV, to calm down and behave himself.

That speaks volumes as to how Jimbo has managed his program up to this point: Win at all costs, ignore (and possibly cover up?) everything else.

Afterwards? When Florida State beat media asked Jimbo about Jameis? He cut the presser off early and it got pretty awkward.  And, that was with Jimbo's own media.

I prefer Bielema's way... all day, any day. Sure, there can be a middle ground, but that's for Bielema to decide, right?

JMHO

Jackrabbit Hog

The older I get - and I'm older than I'd like to be - the more I appreciate the discipline and the less I want to win hollow titles like Cam/Auburn or Jameis/FSU. 

I almost started a thread after CBB's post-game presser after the Alabama loss, but decided against it.  Seeing how emotional he was and how he hurt so much for the players made a real impression on me.  You don't fake that stuff.  He wants success for these kids, but he's not going to shortcut it.  He believes that hard work and doing things the right way will be rewarded, and I appreciate that.  If I had a son that was a D-1 prospect, I'd want him to play for someone like our coach.

If what I just typed is outdated, then I guess I'm just outdated myself.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rude1

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2014, 09:27:02 pm
Did you see the Jimbo & Jameis talk midfield, surrounded by press, right after they beat Notre Dame? Even after everything Jameis has been through... Jimbo had to tell that kid, on National TV, to calm down and behave himself.

That speaks volumes as to how Jimbo has managed his program up to this point: Win at all costs, ignore (and possibly cover up?) everything else.

Afterwards? When Florida State beat media asked Jimbo about Jameis? He cut the presser off early and it got pretty awkward.  And, that was with Jimbo's own media.

I prefer Bielema's way... all day, any day. Sure, there can be a middle ground, but that's for Bielema to decide, right?

JMHO
I prefer winning a NC like Jimbo did. Up to this point the NCAA, The University, nor law enforcement have said that Winston has done something that should prevent him from playing. That being the case, I have no problem with going after your second NC playing him until someone tells you otherwise. Or you could have a team of high quality kids, win nothing, then scorn teams that do win for doing it without class, and brag how much discipline your team has.

Augustus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 22, 2014, 09:28:32 pm
The older I get - and I'm older than I'd like to be - the more I appreciate the discipline and the less I want to win hollow titles like Cam/Auburn or Jameis/FSU. 

I almost started a thread after CBB's post-game presser after the Alabama loss, but decided against it.  Seeing how emotional he was and how he hurt so much for the players made a real impression on me.  You don't fake that stuff.  He wants success for these kids, but he's not going to shortcut it.  He believes that hard work and doing things the right way will be rewarded, and I appreciate that.  If I had a son that was a D-1 prospect, I'd want him to play for someone like our coach.

Nope. I'm 37 years old. And, after having the Football program I love, support, and root for go through some of the things it's been through the past few years?  I'm all for recommitment towards character/discipline.

I remember that there are more important things than just wins. I've said several times:  Many of these players now, will be the next generation of Arkansas Radio Talk Show hosts, Local TV Sports Anchors, Insurance Company owners, Car Dealership owners, Touchdown Club & Frank Broyles Trophy Directors, etc, etc, etc.

The Players that are being raised on the Hill today, are the next generation of who'll be very involved in the State of Arkansas in the coming years.

I mean... just look at the news that broke today regarding Cedric Cobbs. It's very sad, but I honestly believe Bielema can prevent our current Players from making the same mistakes as that.

greenie

Amen

Augustus

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2014, 09:34:11 pm
I prefer winning a NC like Jimbo did. Up to this point the NCAA, The University, nor law enforcement have said that Winston has done something that should prevent him from playing. That being the case, I have no problem with going after your second NC playing him until someone tells you otherwise. Or you could have a team of high quality kids, win nothing, then scorn teams that do win for doing it without class, and brag how much discipline your team has.

You say that, and we're all certainly entitled to our own opinions...

But, consider, there are even Florida State fans who call into Nationwide Radio shows... who are disgusted with the way Jimbo and FSU Administration has handled the situation the last two years. In spite of last year's NC win, and the possibility of winning another.

rude1

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2014, 09:44:16 pm
You say that, and we're all certainly entitled to our own opinions...

But, consider, there are even Florida State fans who call into Nationwide Radio shows... who are disgusted with the way Jimbo and FSU Administration has handled the situation the last two years. In spite of last year's NC win, and the possibility of winning another.

Those calling in are the minority and probably don't care much for athletics anyway if the truth was known.

Hoggish1

Augustus

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2014, 09:45:29 pm
Those calling in are the minority and probably don't care much for athletics anyway if the truth was known.

I would bet anyone that's willing to spend *at least* an hour trying to call into the Finebaum show, just to talk for 1 minute... especially to express disgust about their own Team's Coach/Admin... is more than just a "T-shirt fan"

rude1

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2014, 09:51:38 pm
I would bet anyone that's willing to spend *at least* an hour trying to call into the Finebaum show, just to talk for 1 minute... especially to express disgust about their own Team's Coach/Admin... is more than just a "T-shirt fan"
Were the stands full of rowdy fans for the Notre Dame game? Obviously there's not enough concern to keep enough home to not fill the stands on game day.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 09:09:15 pm
Any coach who suspends one of his best players for missing a morning weight lifting session on the Friday of a bye week is dead serious about discipline.

I would say so. Too many coaches bend for big games. BB doesn't. That's respectable.
This is my non-signature signature.

onebadrubi

You old fart.

Augustus

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 22, 2014, 09:56:18 pm
I would say so. Too many coaches bend for big games. BB doesn't. That's respectable.

After the Bama game, a SB Nation writer for Bama mentioned Collins sitting for the 1st quarter, but attributed it to injury.

I told him on the board why Collins had to sit out 1st quarter, and the Writer and many others agreed:  "Much respect to Bielema (or any Coach) who chooses to discipline his players when it's needed, especially in spite of who the Team is playing the next week."

And, that was coming from Bama fans.

rude1

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2014, 10:09:47 pm
After the Bama game, a SB Nation writer for Bama mentioned Collins sitting for the 1st quarter, but attributed it to injury.

I told him on the board why Collins had to sit out 1st quarter, and the Writer and many others agreed:  "Much respect to Bielema (or any Coach) who chooses to discipline his players when it's needed, especially in spite of who the Team is playing the next week."

And, that was coming from Bama fans.
Yeah sure that's important, only I don't ever remember a Bama star back sitting because of discipline. But then again maybe Bama has a team of saints too.

Danny J

Or you could have a team of high quality kids, win nothing, then scorn teams that do win for doing it without class, and brag how much discipline your team has.
I agree. I would rather have the championships as FSU and Auburn have. As much as I want to live in a perfect world I realize that I do not and I accept it.

PS...I also remember all the basketball fans in support of all the Pelphrey suspensions early 2009. That was a disaster and as was pointed out by you and myself it was not only going to cost us wins on the court but eventually that lack of wins would cost Pelphrey his job....and it did. I don't want to see CBB make that same mistake trying to make these 18-22 young men into alter boys. However in the case of KM I don't believe he had a choice as he violated some sort of University policy.

Wild Boarnado

Agree with ya OP and Jackrabbit Hog. Discipline is the foundation to success in football and life.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Hogsmo Kramer

Integrity is doing the right thing even when it's hard and when no one is looking.

I'm old school, even though I'm not that old, and I admire any coach that has a back bone and stands for what's right even if it might cost him.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

pigbacon

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 22, 2014, 10:26:17 pm
Integrity is doing the right thing even when it's hard and when no one is looking.

I'm old school, even though I'm not that old, and I admire any coach that has a back bone and stands for what's right even if it might cost him.

I agree. Rare breed because when winning, money and jobs are at risk, character goes out the window for many. These coaches that turn a blind eye are no different than the scumbag scores of people that prey upon these athletes along the way.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on October 22, 2014, 10:23:55 pm
I agree. I would rather have the championships as FSU and Auburn have. As much as I want to live in a perfect world I realize that I do not and I accept it.

PS...I also remember all the basketball fans in support of all the Pelphrey suspensions early 2009. That was a disaster and as was pointed out by you and myself it was not only going to cost us wins on the court but eventually that lack of wins would cost Pelphrey his job....and it did. I don't want to see CBB make that same mistake trying to make these 18-22 young men into alter boys. However in the case of KM I don't believe he had a choice as he violated some sort of University policy.

Pelphrey situation is nothing like this.  Pelphrey took character risks as he knew our fan base wasn't patient for a rebuild.  With Heath setting him up for having to replace 6 players after his first season, he took too many chances and his players didn't respect him enough to stay out of trouble.  Anderson suspended players last season, the story as to why was mostly squashed because of Anderson, the team had some success when they returned and they are being counted on to be major contributors this season.  BB doesn't appear to be taking risks. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dropkick

At least you admit the type person you are, I applaud your honesty if not your character.

Professor Pig

Reading the majority of these posts, you'd think that with character and integrity you sacrifice wins. That's simply not true: you can have both. Very few teams do -- but it's possible and what I hope to see from this staff.

As it's already been mentioned, these young men will one day have the opportunity to fulfill leadership roles in their respective communities across our state. So, yes, building character is important to me.

rude1

Quote from: Dropkick on October 22, 2014, 11:10:33 pm
At least you admit the type person you are, I applaud your honesty if not your character.
The difference is that I don't live my life precariously through these young men and expect perfection. I understand that we are all flawed and I remember who I was at their ages and wonder if everything I ever did wrong at their age was suddenly important enough to be lead stories in state wide papers................Think about it................

Smokehouse

I'm turning 27 next Saturday and I'm with you.

I'd very much like to see the Hogs win a football title within my lifetime. But if it's a zero-sum game, I'd much prefer not having my alma mater embarrassed by the Jameis Winstons of the world than win a title.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: rude1 on October 23, 2014, 12:40:06 am
The difference is that I don't live my life precariously through these young men and expect perfection. I understand that we are all flawed and I remember who I was at their ages and wonder if everything I ever did wrong at their age was suddenly important enough to be lead stories in state wide papers................Think about it................

There's a fine line to it. A lot of people jump straight to kicking players off the team; I have a hard time believing that removing these kids completely from the football program, which is potentially their only support group, is the best course of action for them. You also can't just immediately suspend anytime an allegation is made, otherwise there'd be patently false accusations flying left and right just angling for a suspension.

That said, there's a point where it's too much. There's enough smoke in the Winston case that I think FSU should be sitting Jameis until they can all be resolved. There's a couple of sexual assault charges going around college football right now an in all the other cases the players are sitting until the case an be resolved. Most of those were voluntary suspensions by the schools and only came when enough evidence surfaced that there appeared to be a case.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

jkstock04

I know I have harped on this some...but it's such an interesting evolution to me I can't seem to get over it. I would like to explore this some more...and think it sort of falls in line with the OP. Arkansans/Hog fans as a whole REALLY don't care all that much about seeing the team win football games...winning is just icing on the cake if it happens. Morals/integrity, "building it the right way"....these things easily trump winning football games.

Is this a new evolution due to current events? Or has it always been this way, and I just never noticed? When this stuff really started getting pushed hard at the beginning of this year I thought it was just because of where we were at the moment, and eventually it would go away...especially when the season started.

Well...it ain't going away. It gets pushed hard by Jeff Long and the media, and most fans love it and eat it up. There seems to be a sort of arrogant (if you will) attitude towards teams that win...as if we are better than them...because we are "building it the right way" and they aren't or didn't. Sour grapes maybe? A year ago I would've said yes. Now...I don't think so. People are honestly proud to lose as long as it's with perceived honer.

I honestly believe most are perfectly happy with the program how it is...as long this perceived discipline, and doing it right....saying the right things... All that stuff, is regularly occurring.

One thing that is interesting and notable to me here...if expectations are this low, this would be an EXCELLENT place to coach. Multi millions of dollars/year with low winning expectations. What more could you ask for? And I have zero doubt...if coach Bielema gets to where he wins 6-8/year with no scandals and keeps this image and perception up...he can be here for 30 years or whenever he wants to leave or retire.

Anyways, not really judging anyone here mainly just making observations of the current pulse of the state of Arkansas. Maybe the older I get I will fall in line with this way of thinking....HONESTLY I would prob be happier this way.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wild Boarnado

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on October 23, 2014, 03:07:42 am
I, for one, want our team to win badly.  I would love to see a national championship or even just an SEC championship.  But I do not want to sacrifice the future for it.  What is the use of winning a NC if you end up on probation the next five years because you cheated.  Where is the pride and honor when half the team is arrested the next year for theft, drug use, public intoxication, etc.  We make fun of those teams, ridicule them for their lack of discipline.  Then the going gets tough and we desire to be like them all for the sake of winning.  For myself, that cost is too high.  I don't live my life vicariously through these young men, I am simply a fan and alum that wants to see my alma mater succeed.  Success take time, perseverance, hard work and sometimes a little luck.  These guys have put in the time and hard work, now they must persevere and pray a little luck comes their way one day.  So far this year we have seen success in portions of our games, but we have not seen much luck roll our way.  I was proud of the way they continued to put forth effort in the GA game.  I can see improvement and hope to see it continue until they get this conference losing streak off their backs.  Once that streak is broken I think you will see them relax more and play better  The streak has to be putting a lot of pressure on them and affecting their play.

"Building it the right way", is all about how he is recruiting. CBB is recruiting kids with good character that are also good athletes.  This class now is one of the best I can remember at this stage. He has dropped recruits, really good recruits, because of something they tweeted.  He identified a behavior he didn't want in his locker room, dragging down the other players.  I have always told my kids, watch out who you hang out with and call your friends, its a lot easier to be dragged down to their level than it is to pull them up to yours.  That is "building it the right way", great athletes, quality people, and a staff capable of helping them reach their potential.  I believe that is what we have at Arkansas and I am willing to give them the benefit of time to see if their efforts can culminate in what we ALL desire, a true national championship or at least an SEC championship.

I believe I am correct in saying that it took us a long time to offer Korliss Marshall a scholarship.  I remember watching his highlight video and thinking he definitely deserved an offer.  Speculation on the board was Korliss had some "off the field issues" which had caused some concern.  However, we offered him late and he quickly de-committed from UCA and accepted.  We now see where Korliss is now, disciplined for off the field issues.  Hopefully CCB can help him get his life straightened out and back on the right track.  He needs to realize he has been given an opportunity to enrich his life and not just through football.

Beautifully said, SkeeterHawg.  My thoughts exactly.  Wish I could put them into words as well as you just did.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2014, 09:17:53 pm

I would explain how Championships and players with character aren't mutually exclusive but you wouldn't be able to comprehend it.   

lahawg1

If the players KNOW what is expected of them and the consequences of not following expectations they will do the right thing.   

hogpc

I think you mean "vicariously" instead of "precariously".

RazorPiggie

Bravo sir, Bravo.

RazorPiggie

Bravo sir, Bravo.

RazorPiggie

AloRaptor

Most people live vicariously thru the players but in your case precariously may very well be correct. You want wins and championships so it sounds like you do expect perfection after all.  :razorback:

Kevin

love everything about how the program is being run, just needs some wins
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

As much as I bust the chops of this Staff this year I am very proud of the Standards Coach holds his players too.   This type of discipline will result with wins down the road.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Those who prefer winning over integrity are usually morally bankrupt themselves.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Southpointhog

Quote from: rude1 link=topic=578875.msg9289455#msg9289455
Pleasdate=1414030673

Please go away!!!

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm with the guy who posted that you can have discipline and integrity (and I hate how that particular term is used so derisively on this board), and also have a winning program.  It's just more difficult for a program to do it that way than the program that cheats.  But anyone who has ever played team sports will tell you that a championship means more when you know you won it fair and square.  It's an antiquated saying but it's also true:  anything worth having is worth working for.  Same holds true for athletic success.

We are fans, supporting our team but knowing next to nothing about what goes on behind the scenes.  We learn what little we know through press conferences, press releases, media stories and the NCAA.  Even what we learn from those outlets must be taken with a grain of salt, as we have to depend on the honestly and objectivity of the source.  As they are learning in Tallahassee and Chapel Hill and other places, you can't always believe what you hear and read.

What I'm trying to say is that we don't really know what goes on with our program or with anyone elses unless someone admits to wrongdoing.  But Coach Bielema gives off strong indications that he for one believes that winning should come from doing things the right way.  I for one like that approach and I firmly believe that given time, he will get us where we all want to be, and that is winning the right way. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2014, 01:13:41 am
I know I have harped on this some...but it's such an interesting evolution to me I can't seem to get over it. I would like to explore this some more...and think it sort of falls in line with the OP. Arkansans/Hog fans as a whole REALLY don't care all that much about seeing the team win football games...winning is just icing on the cake if it happens. Morals/integrity, "building it the right way"....these things easily trump winning football games.

Is this a new evolution due to current events? Or has it always been this way, and I just never noticed? When this stuff really started getting pushed hard at the beginning of this year I thought it was just because of where we were at the moment, and eventually it would go away...especially when the season started.

Well...it ain't going away. It gets pushed hard by Jeff Long and the media, and most fans love it and eat it up. There seems to be a sort of arrogant (if you will) attitude towards teams that win...as if we are better than them...because we are "building it the right way" and they aren't or didn't. Sour grapes maybe? A year ago I would've said yes. Now...I don't think so. People are honestly proud to lose as long as it's with perceived honer.

I honestly believe most are perfectly happy with the program how it is...as long this perceived discipline, and doing it right....saying the right things... All that stuff, is regularly occurring.

One thing that is interesting and notable to me here...if expectations are this low, this would be an EXCELLENT place to coach. Multi millions of dollars/year with low winning expectations. What more could you ask for? And I have zero doubt...if coach Bielema gets to where he wins 6-8/year with no scandals and keeps this image and perception up...he can be here for 30 years or whenever he wants to leave or retire.

Anyways, not really judging anyone here mainly just making observations of the current pulse of the state of Arkansas. Maybe the older I get I will fall in line with this way of thinking....HONESTLY I would prob be happier this way.
Actually people want to win at all costs or lose with honor. Therefore if you attempt to win at all cost but but up losing - you are screwed.

Tripod1

I agree with this post 100%.