Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best helmets in the SEC?

Started by RazorRick77, October 22, 2014, 07:02:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorRick77

Certainly do no belong to Auburn in my book but this article ranks each SEC teams' current helmet http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/ranking-sec-football-helmets/

I've always been a big fan of Georgia's and LSU's personally. I agree with them on our white helmet being better currently.

TrueBlue

Yea, that is a respectable opinion.

Two Missouri dudes with their own website. How cute.

Rooka

Personally, I think this list is way off.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorRick77 on October 22, 2014, 07:02:40 pm
Certainly do no belong to Auburn in my book but this article ranks each SEC teams' current helmet http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/ranking-sec-football-helmets/

I've always been a big fan of Georgia's and LSU's personally. I agree with them on our white helmet being better currently.

Our "throwback" helmet and uniforms are the best that we can wear, in my opinion. Classy and clean and sets the "brand". I could care less what any other school wears.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

I agree with UGA & LSU. But it feels weird since Georgia copied Green Bay, just had better colors. I really like the LSU helmets that were real Gold colored. They wore them against us one year, not sure if they have worn them since.

Would like Missouri's better if the Tiger wasn't in the circle. Would have ours 4th

A&M, State, & Tenner are the worst imo.

hogcard1964

1 Bama
2 Kentucky
3 Ole Miss
4 Tennessee
5 Georgia
6 Arkansas (the ones we had in the Bama game)
7 South Carolina
8 Florida
9 LSU
10 Vanderbilt
11 Texas A & M
12 Miss St
13 Missouri
14 Auburn

Prestworthy

I've always liked Vanderbilt's color scheme.

pigture perfect

Mongram letters and numbers are rather dull to me. I like the mascots on the helmets.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hogwild

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 07:20:05 pm
I've always liked Vanderbilt's color scheme.

so do I (reminds me of the Saints) would be better if they had some type of commodore instead of V

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 22, 2014, 07:27:10 pm
1. Arkansas

This.  Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's a beautiful, simple, classic helmet (the red one).  So recognizable, unlike some of these schools that seem to change every other year.

And, FWIW, our old pal Pat Forde has said many times it's one of his all-time favorite helmets.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2014, 07:11:03 pm
Our "throwback" helmet and uniforms are the best that we can wear, in my opinion. Classy and clean and sets the "brand". I could care less what any other school wears.
Right on!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

chuggs33

Any helmet my hogs wear is my favorite, be it white, "black," red or throwback.

Hoggish1

Any team with their letters on the helmet should be pistol whipped for lack of creativity.  The power T is up first...  Next comes the G, and so on.

Wild Boarnado

My favorite is Arkansas.  Love that Razorback.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

LZH

In all honesty, we have the coolest....

LSU is a very, very close second.

demonHOG1013

We have the most unique mascot and the throwback helmets were better than anything anybody in the SEC wears.  That being said, I like LSU's helmet the best. I'd say our helmet is about 3rd or 4th.  Def not 9th and way better than Mizzou

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogwild on October 22, 2014, 07:13:35 pm
I agree with UGA & LSU. But it feels weird since Georgia copied Green Bay, just had better colors. I really like the LSU helmets that were real Gold colored. They wore them against us one year, not sure if they have worn them since.

Would like Missouri's better if the Tiger wasn't in the circle.

Bingo.  And thus endith the lesson about design principles...

Putting anything in a circle is dumb. Imagine the Hog in a circle and it should be clearly understood that you don't need to put a boarder around a logo...

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hogwild on October 22, 2014, 07:30:27 pm
so do I (reminds me of the Saints) would be better if they had some type of commodore instead of V

The way they are playing this year maybe a Commodore 64 logo would be a good fit.

MJ2

LSU's has always been a good looking helment to me.

rickm1976

Rooka

Alright here is my list...

1. Arkansas (so what? I'm biased)
2. Alabama (even being biased to Arkansas, this is a super close #2)
3. LSU
4. Auburn
5. Georgia
6. Tennessee
7. Ole Miss
8. Florida
9. Missouri
10. Texas A&M
11. South Carolina
12. Mississippi State
13. Vanderbilt
14. Kentucky

ifghog

I think ours and LSU are def tops...

LZH

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 23, 2014, 07:26:10 am
The way they are playing this year maybe a Commodore 64 logo would be a good fit.

Good one.  What did we learn in college about logos/signs?  Less is more!  That is a mess.

Hoggie17

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2014, 07:11:03 pm
This^^^
I liked the finish and shape of the old helmets, The new helmets have a dull finish, and the shape is for safety I would guess, but I like the "throwback" helmet.   

Tejano Jawg

On top of the dumb ranking, you'd think they could have shown a better photo of our helmet. One that was actually lit.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ArkTiger

I agree with most in this thread. My favorites are LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, & UGA's. All are very recognizable/classic. I personally love our white stripe

WizardofhOgZ

Opinions of SEC helmets from a Mizzou fan? 

Who cares?  He'd do better ranking the Big 12 helmets that he knows more about.

outlawhogeywells

sounds like these guys should be designing clothes.  I saw color scheme mentioned way to much
and they like the simple letter of Georgia and Tennessee but don't like the UK, to me there is not difference.
Then he rates the florida helmet pretty high but then says it would be better with just an F on the side. 
Just put Arkansas 1 and 2 (red helmet and white helmet) and let the rest of them fight for the rest of the spots

Dr. Starcs

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like Lsu's.

Have the mascot or the name. Not both.

The hog is iconic in my mind and stands alone.

bigbadhog

1. Arkansas
14. Auburn

Nothing in between matters...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 22, 2014, 07:27:10 pm
1. Arkansas

I truly believe this. Having the Razorback Symbol sets it a part and we have been doing it for years

Style and Tradition

bigdaddyhawg

I honestly think all the SEC helmets are pretty strong.  Probably has something to do with the tradition of it all and the SEC.

My favorite all-time, outside of the Hogs of course, is Michigan.  I love their helmets and their color scheme.

On the hate side, ANY of the new helmets where they look like something a street walker would be proud to wear, including almost all of Oregon's!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Bebop

I'm biased but my argument comes from what sticks out, identity, and originality.

It sticks out because it is uncluttered by the letters from our school. The hog identifies who we are, leaves no room for mistaken identity, and it shows that we don't need our school letters for our identification. It's original because there are no other major D1 schools (or other schools that I know of) that have the razorback as their mascot.

Aside from ours, I like Vandy's, Mizz's, and Lsu's helmet.

Rooka

Outside of the SEC, it's hard to be Florida State's helmet.

The_Iceman

Smokehouse

Leaving Hog bias aside I'd put UGA and Ole Miss at the top. Vandy would be a close third; aesthetically I think it's just a nice, clean design that fits well with the color scheme.

Missouri would be last on my list. The circle logo looks like a bumper sticker slapped on as an afterthought.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Bkhardicars

I honestly like ours the best. Then I'd say ole miss, LSU. The rest seem kind of dull to me.

pigture perfect

I like our Anthracite hemet as well as any. The old Colonel Reb, Ole Miss helmet was cool as well before the PC police got involved. Bama and Tenner have the most uncreative and dull helmets in the survey. But at least they are a fraction better than Penn State's.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jswineberiaskirk

The one we wore in the Alabama game. Love that old school Hawg

Captain Crunch

So a moron Mizzou fanboy ranks his team's helmet fourth? That's all I need to know about this POS list.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jrhardy88

Love our helmets but really like LSU.....those gold helmets were great.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

NaturalStateReb

I keep expecting Ole Miss to crack out a gray or chrome helmet.  They busted out the baby blues for against Memphis for the Chucky Mullins 25th anniversary.  Interesting to see them again.

I think the traditional Hog logo is excellent as well.  I like UGA's and the white A&M helmets with the maroon TAM.  LSU, Auburn, and Alabama are classic, but not exactly eye-candy.

The worst I think have been the State helmets with the oversized chrome bulldog art.

The coolest helmets I've seen in a while were the Georgia Tech honeycomb helmets.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DeltaHog82

Torqued pork

I would give MSU and A&M some slack. Maroon is a crappy color.

Hawgin84

Quote from: Rooka on October 23, 2014, 08:11:35 am
Alright here is my list...

1. Arkansas (so what? I'm biased)
2. Alabama (even being biased to Arkansas, this is a super close #2)
3. LSU
4. Auburn
5. Georgia
6. Tennessee
7. Ole Miss
8. Florida
9. Missouri
10. Texas A&M
11. South Carolina
12. Mississippi State
13. Vanderbilt
14. Kentucky

Cosign.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 23, 2014, 10:50:21 am
1. Arkansas
14. Auburn

Nothing in between matters...
this is close
#1Arkansas Red
#2 Arkansas White
#3 Arkansas throwback
#16 Auburn
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

choppedporkextrasauce

If the list starts with anyone but Arkansas then it is

WRONG

thefisher

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on October 23, 2014, 10:01:08 am
Then he rates the florida helmet pretty high but then says it would be better with just an F on the side. 

I wonder if he wanted the University of Florida to follow suit with the University of Kentucky.  Kentucky has the UK on their helmet .... not sure how we would feel about Florida if they had an "F U" logo on the sides of their helmet.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Rooka

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 23, 2014, 01:23:30 pm
I keep expecting Ole Miss to crack out a gray or chrome helmet.  They busted out the baby blues for against Memphis for the Chucky Mullins 25th anniversary.  Interesting to see them again.

I think the traditional Hog logo is excellent as well.  I like UGA's and the white A&M helmets with the maroon TAM.  LSU, Auburn, and Alabama are classic, but not exactly eye-candy.

The worst I think have been the State helmets with the oversized chrome bulldog art.

The coolest helmets I've seen in a while were the Georgia Tech honeycomb helmets.
Speaking of honeycomb, and on a completely unrelated note, have you seen the Charlotte Hornets new court design?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/charlotte-hornets-new-court