Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best helmets in the SEC?

Started by RazorRick77, October 22, 2014, 07:02:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bebop on October 23, 2014, 11:26:27 am
I'm biased but my argument comes from what sticks out, identity, and originality.

It sticks out because it is uncluttered by the letters from our school. The hog identifies who we are, leaves no room for mistaken identity, and it shows that we don't need our school letters for our identification. It's original because there are no other major D1 schools (or other schools that I know of) that have the razorback as their mascot.

Aside from ours, I like Vandy's, Mizz's, and Lsu's helmet.

Completely agree. Our helmet is original and traditional. Not many other school can say that

Hogwild

Quote from: thefisher on October 24, 2014, 06:37:21 am
I wonder if he wanted the University of Florida to follow suit with the University of Kentucky.  Kentucky has the UK on their helmet .... not sure how we would feel about Florida if they had an "F U" logo on the sides of their helmet.

throwback gator helmets

Coming Soon: ;D

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Rooka on October 24, 2014, 07:08:18 am
Speaking of honeycomb, and on a completely unrelated note, have you seen the Charlotte Hornets new court design?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/charlotte-hornets-new-court

No, but that's pretty cool.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jtw732

How florida is higher than us blows my mind. I absolutely hate their helmets. USC's are terrible too. Has anyone ever noticed they're a slightly yellow white? If I had to pick one besides arkansas I would go mizzous alternate that has the huge tiger head covering the side of the helmet.. those are sick.

jtw732

Quote from: Hogwild on October 24, 2014, 08:47:28 am
throwback gator helmets

Coming Soon: ;D

Gators wore a white helmet a few years back that was white with a "F" on the side that was pointed at the bottom. I actually liked those. I Despise the current helmets.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: RazorRick77 on October 22, 2014, 07:02:40 pm
Certainly do no belong to Auburn in my book but this article ranks each SEC teams' current helmet http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/ranking-sec-football-helmets/

I've always been a big fan of Georgia's and LSU's personally. I agree with them on our white helmet being better currently.

The best:

Georgia and Tennessee - by far the best od the "letter" style.

Arkansas - by far the best of the "icon" style

Ole Miss & LSU - the best of the "word" style

Alabama - Sixty years ago almost all helmets were like Bama's.  They are about the last ones left so it works for them.

The worst:

USC - a cluttered mess

Auburn - not much better than USC

Mizzou - looks cheap like a child's toy

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Bebop on October 23, 2014, 11:26:27 am
It's original because there are no other major D1 schools (or other schools that I know of) that have the razorback as their mascot.

Texas A&I (now known as Texas A&M - Kingsville) javelina is the only one I can think of that is even close.

thirrdegreetusker

...is that folks talk about "branding" and "trademarking" but, when I turn on the TV to watch an ooc game, already knowing who is playing, it often takes me several plays to figure out which team is which. A recent game involving Purdue come to mind.

Sorry, I just do not believe that "throwback" or "alternate" uniforms are the best way to sell your program/school. And it does not matter if "the players like it" when prospective recruits, sitting in front of TVs all across the nation, have to work to figure out who they are watching.

code red

Personally I like aTm and Hogs
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hoggish1

Quote from: thefisher on October 24, 2014, 06:37:21 am
I wonder if he wanted the University of Florida to follow suit with the University of Kentucky.  Kentucky has the UK on their helmet .... not sure how we would feel about Florida if they had an "F U" logo on the sides of their helmet.

Well, that's the way FSU says it.

redeye

Seems like most people used to hate LSU's helmet/uniform, but a decade of success changed that.  Personally, I still think it's ugly and don't get why people like it.

In contrast, I've always liked Georgia's helmet.  I get why some don't, but I do.

But our red helmet is the best ever.  I've always loved matte colors, but I actually like our helmet better when it's shiny.  Despite wishing for a white helmet for decades, now that we have one, I don't really like it.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: redeye on October 24, 2014, 01:43:40 pm
Seems like most people used to hate LSU's helmet/uniform, but a decade of success changed that.  Personally, I still think it's ugly and don't get why people like it.

LSU helmet design always reminds me of when I was a kid, and a even a high-schooler, of tying to use tape to make letters and numbers. Always had to square off the curves and angles.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: redeye on October 24, 2014, 01:43:40 pm

Completely agree. LSU's helmets are plain and ugly. They suck.

But to be honest, South Carolina has by far the worst helmet in the country. Those things are downright horrible.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

NoNC4Tubs

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 24, 2014, 10:55:45 am
Texas A&I (now known as Texas A&M - Kingsville) javelina is the only one I can think of that is even close.

I've actually been to a game there when UCA played them for a championship YEARS ago!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on October 26, 2014, 09:13:42 am
This........ 8)

Old barn is like Kmart...............................................sucks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Captain Crunch on October 24, 2014, 04:48:26 pm
Completely agree. LSU's helmets are plain and ugly. They suck.

But to be honest, South Carolina has by far the worst helmet in the country. Those things are downright horrible.

Put me down for Maryland with the worst with Boise State a distant second. I did like Maryland's old "tortoise and M" helmet.