Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The best choice

Started by mudder190, October 22, 2014, 06:22:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mudder190

When Bielema was hired, he was the best choice available (under the circumstances) period.....But trying to explain this to all you dumb a$$es would be very difficult if not impossible.....But, I am going to try to a little bit....After the Petrino mess and John L year, we lost two years of getting any quality players, that is enough to be where we're at now. It would not matter who was the coach ,the results would be similar or with some other new coach, could be worst.....I don't agree with Long alot....we needed someone stable.....a proven head coach.....someone who knew of the mess and still willing to take it on...we did not need a up and coming coach or some of the other names that was tossed around....just a little more.....The Perfect Storm.....SEC West... with the mess and best teams in the nation we play week after week....What in the hell do you expect? OK, ND,Baylor..etc....any of teams that played the teams the Hogs have played would have a similar record. It is going to take time to rebuild from the ground up....so I think Long made the right choice...Progress is being made and if you knott heads can't or (don't want) to see this, you need to keep you stupid remarks to yourself....I think the wins will come in time.....Hogs play the best teams in the nation almost every game..Just going to have to wait it out...Bielema, was the best choice (under the circumstances)

hogheart

Hawgey-Davidson

Welcome to our nightmare.

Danny J

Ok....I have seen this mentioned over and over and over again and heard people calling into the Arkansas sports radio shows talking about all the fans that want BB fired. As was mentioned on DTS this afternoon both Randy and Rick said they can't recall people mentioning that they want him replaced.

Serious question.....how many people on HV actually right now are calling for BB to be replaced? How many people calling into the radio programs are calling for him to be replaced?

I think the answer on HV is maybe about 5%...if that. I think that HV doesn't necessarily represent a even cross-section of the fanbase as a whole. So I would guess if you polled all Hog fans the answer would be around 2-3%. That doesn't necessarily mean everybody right now is happy with the results but that doesn't mean those people want him fired. They just want to vent a little and that includes myself. I do see problems with the team but at the same time I understand it is a work in progress and I am fine with that. However that doesn't mean I won't vent from time to time which is ok.

Am I out of line with this way of thinking? I keep seeing this topic brought up on HV, there are several threads about it and there are several statements regarding this topic being made in most threads regardless of the topic. I just don't see all the people calling for his job like was done with HDN during his last couple years.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 22, 2014, 06:38:18 pm
Way to come out and call everyone dumbasses before spewing some non-paragraphed rant.

It really sets the tone.

True, very true.  I laughed after I read that.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 22, 2014, 06:38:18 pm
Way to come out and call everyone dumbasses before spewing some non-paragraphed rant.

It really sets the tone.

sooo, yeah..a nonpoint.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Danny J on October 22, 2014, 06:43:57 pm
Ok....I have seen this mentioned over and over and over again and heard people calling into the Arkansas sports radio shows talking about all the fans that want BB fired. As was mentioned on DTS this afternoon both Randy and Rick said they can't recall people mentioning that they want him replaced.

Serious question.....how many people on HV actually right now are calling for BB to be replaced? How many people calling into the radio programs are calling for him to be replaced?

I think the answer on HV is maybe about 5%...if that. I think that HV doesn't necessarily represent a even cross-section of the fanbase as a whole. So I would guess if you polled all Hog fans the answer would be around 2-3%. That doesn't necessarily mean everybody right now is happy with the results but that doesn't mean those people want him fired. They just want to vent a little and that includes myself. I do see problems with the team but at the same time I understand it is a work in progress and I am fine with that. However that doesn't mean I won't vent from time to time which is ok.

Am I out of line with this way of thinking? I keep seeing this topic brought up on HV, there are several threads about it and there are several statements regarding this topic being made in most threads regardless of the topic. I just don't see all the people calling for his job like was done with HDN during his last couple years.

I am definitely not a sunshine pumper, and am not even sure CBB will be successful, but anyone calling for him to be fired now has not got the best interest of the football program in mind. Without getting into a debate over whether or not the AD should take offensive philosophy into account when hiring a coach, the minute CBB arrived on campus it became a 5 year process. If he is not successful, the down turn we saw in the BB program will look mild compared to what we will see with the football program.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hoglady

You are not out of line - you are right on point.
What's happening is if you question at all or criticize at all - then you are a Beliema hater and you want him fired. There's a "holier than thou" segment that thinks everyone else are dumb-dumbs.
I'm amazed this fan base is handling the 0-16 SEC record as well as we have.
Especially coming on the heels of a #5 end of year ranking 3 years ago. (seems like a lifetime ago)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RazorRick77

HCBB will have this team in the SEC title game within three years, mark it down.

3of5-2

HCBB must stand for something other than Head Coach Bret Beliema. Unless there is a SEC realignment, and all of the good teams go to the East, there is no way on earth that Arkansas goes to the SEC title game in 3 years.

HSVhogfan2

Get out the hard hats, the SEC Championship is under construction!
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 22, 2014, 06:52:02 pm
sooo, yeah..a nonpoint.

More of your wisdom?

You ain't got a clue.

But that is well known.

PRJ

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on October 22, 2014, 06:56:54 pm
What's happening is if you question at all or criticize at all - then you are a Beliema hater and you want him fired. There's a "holier than thou" segment that thinks everyone else are dumb-dumbs.
Especially coming on the heels of a #5 end of year ranking 3 years ago. (seems like a lifetime ago)
Yeah...that is kind of the sense I get from reading many posts and responses to said posts. I have said many times before that I come to this board not only to read insightful opinion, lively banter back and forth and many times to vent frustrations. I think that is good to vent from time to time. It serves as a good way to cleanse myself from all the hair pulling I do during games. This goes for basketball and baseball as well.

Just to reiterate my original post in this thread not all people here venting their frustrations want CBB fired and yes....it is ok to disagree with each other. No need to keep calling people names and told their opinions are worthless, have no basis in fact, no merit, etc.....

FelixJonesorDMAC?

exactly.  no your not out of line at all.  It should be ok to vent and not be happy with the product we see on the field as of right now.  It doesn't mean anyone wants him fired, it just means we want to start seeing some results in the win/loss department. 

wupigsuey

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 22, 2014, 07:18:29 pm
More of your wisdom?

You ain't got a clue.

But that is well known.

PRJ

See you there
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

clutch

Quote from: LRAFBHog on October 22, 2014, 07:16:12 pm
Not as long as there is a Nick, Gus, Les, Freeze, and more.  Mark it down!!!!

Why not? A lot of people like to talk about how Les can't coach, and up until this year there was a lot of talk about freeze not being a good coach.

Not that I agree with any of that.

mjsphd

I don't know anyone who is calling for BB to be fired.  Improvement appears evident.  Still, it's natural for 0-12 to raise concern among some fans.  Even JLS won 2 SEC games, and his 4-8 record was blamed on him being a clown.  One year later, BB's 3-9 season was blamed on "lack of talent".   I'm not sure how folks can argue that the Hogs "lost" 2 recruiting years.  BP has already signed his last class when he fell off the motorcycle.  Nobody complained about his recruiting when he was here and going to the Sugar/Cotton Bowl.  I understand people saying one recruiting class was lost (the JLS year), but BB actually came in late and got some very good players (Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, etc).

clutch

Quote from: mjsphd on October 22, 2014, 08:27:32 pm
I don't know anyone who is calling for BB to be fired.  Improvement appears evident.  Still, it's natural for 0-12 to raise concern among some fans.  Even JLS won 2 SEC games, and his 4-8 record was blamed on him being a clown.  One year later, BB's 3-9 season was blamed on "lack of talent".   I'm not sure how folks can argue that the Hogs "lost" 2 recruiting years.  BP has already signed his last class when he fell off the motorcycle.  Nobody complained about his recruiting when he was here and going to the Sugar/Cotton Bowl.  I understand people saying one recruiting class was lost (the JLS year), but BB actually came in late and got some very good players (Collins, Kirkland, Skipper, etc).

The JLS team was a completely different team from last years team.

I do get your point on not losing 2 years of recruiting though. While I don't think BP was a very good recruiter (I thought he benefitted from possibly the best in state group ever his first season) he still recruited decently. With that said, one year lost recruiting is HUGE in CFB. Even bigger though is one year lost in player development. There wasn't really any of that going on in JLS's year here.

The combination of a year lost, little development, and the loss of most all of our star power led to a bad situation for BB to walk into. While this years been full of letdowns, I still think the job he's done has been pretty dang good so far.

Well, Mudder offered up the classic, "if you don't agree with me you are a dumbass thread."  Glad you have an opinion Mudder, wish you could understand its just your opinion and not the law or written in stone.

Somehow I miss all these harsh, fire BB now threads.  I do see lots of how stupid anyone is who isn't elated with him.  Anyone who cares to read Hogville and think it through will soon understand they can learn more about individuals personalities than football.  We have lots of demanding posters on here. and dozens of know it alls. 

For me, I believe I will continue to believe what I choose to believe until I see results that indicate I should change my thinking.  This isn't Dear Abby, oh what should I think?  Its Hogville where some of us come to enjoy the opinions of others while not belittling the opinions of others.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hoglady on October 22, 2014, 06:56:54 pm

There are some very bright, knowledgeable, experienced, reaonable posters here, and you're one of them.  The OP is one of the more obnoxious pieces I've seen here, and that comes from one of the earliest and staunchest defenders of Bret Bielema and his philosophy.  And I will continue to defend it because I think it will work and provide sustained success.  I don't believe the personnel is there yet.

Nonsense like the OP belongs in Vents.  Doesn't matter what you think of the head coach.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Blue35

BB talks big and is a windbag who cannot win a conference game in two years.

clutch

Quote from: Blue35 on October 22, 2014, 09:01:35 pm

Long should have hired you.

mudder190

Well..12247...Thank you for confirming (and others) it would be difficult or impossible to explain.......I understand 100%.....guess you don't understand that negitive and stupid comments about the team and coaches, accomplishes nothing.....What did you expect?Hogs to 7-0.....Thanks again

hawgsalot

Yeah what I want is a quite spoken coach that doesn't inspire.  Oh and check your calendar not sure you realize football season isn't over just yet.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: LRAFBHog on October 22, 2014, 07:16:12 pm
Not as long as there is a Nick, Gus, Les, Freeze, and more.  Mark it down!!!!
If this is true, Arkansas should move to the Big 12.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

memphishog

hogsanity

The problem is not people that do not like the coach.  The problem here is they take over EVERY thread. Start a thread about ANYTHING, and before long here comes someone with " BB will never get it done here ".  This of course leads to someone firing back, and before you know it it is the 134,563rd thread about whether BB will have success here.

Then of course people can't even define what success is. Is it a NC, a SECC, winning X games per year, going to a bowl every year? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigbadhog

Looks like "Beliema's Army" landed another recruit...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HF#1

Name a coach that was available (who wasn't paying and screwing former volleyball players) who could have done better with what they had to work with. 

We got a proven head coach who is a winner and can take this program to new heights if given enough time.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

mudder190

hogsanity..good post......just as i stated in the first post of this thread.....negitive post only hurt this program.....and as I said, it is difficult or impossible to explain to stupid people...oh well....if you can't say anything positive (lot of positive)...maybe your should not say anything and maybe you should change teams to root for....HF#1 good post

Atlhogfan1

Coaching searches or hires rarely go like ours did where a head coach of one of college football's most consistent programs from a major conference would leave for another program.  Forget the position we were in or the competitive disadvantage we are at vs our competition.

This has happened very few times in modern college football. 

Franchione left Bama for A&M although Bama was down when he left.

Johnny Majors left Pitt for Tennessee his alma mater.

I forgot one: Hatfield to Clemson. 

Meyer going from Utah to Florida is not comparable nor is Strong from Louisville to Texas or RRod from WV to Michigan.  All of those moves were to programs with more resources and higher ceilings for success.

I've somewhat joked about Bielema's decision making leaving Wisconsin for our job especially when he did.  I do admire his competitiveness though.

There was only one other possible option and there were positive reasons why it would have made sense along with some negatives and questions.  He got a better job than Arkansas.

I do not like to think about who else would have been on the list and certainly don't want to consider one in the near future for our job.  I do not think BB comes close to finishing his career at Arkansas even if he has success.  He is too young. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

I can somewhat agree...but, with our personnel at the time I was for coach Kyle.  he wouldn't had to change much of the recruiting philosophy.  This guy will land somewhere big soon.  SMITE AWAY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Whittingham
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Who is our Coach?

I want Bielema to succeed.  I really like the guy.  I think he has the players' best interests at heart.  He seems like a straight up, honest, and trustworthy guy.  He is no doubt doing everything in his power to produce wins on the field.  But WANTING him to succeed is much different than blindly believing he WILL succeed.  There are plenty of question marks and red flags around the program that have to make you wonder if you're being honest and critical.  Are there good signs too?  Sure.  But until we actually win an SEC game, the good things are certainly shuffled way to the bottom of the deck. 

Here is to hoping he turns it around, because unless he starts 0-24 in the SEC, I think he gets a minimum of four years.  Long has certainly hitched his wagon to him.  I would much rather him start to win than face that level of failure would generate.

3of5-2

I just want to know exactly how many years will it take to be enough? Surely someone making as much money as CBB doesn't need more than 4 years to get "his players" to be able to win at least enough games to go bowling. Seems to me that some on here have already moved expectations to giving him at least 5 or 6 years. Why?

Who is our Coach?

I don't think it was a crazy goal to be in a bowl game this year.  Maybe win 7 or 8 next year.  Hugh Freeze having the best defense in the nation, pulling in top 5 classes, and being ranked number 3 in the nation isn't helping CBB.  He's only in his 3rd year.  If it CAN be done, Hog fans aren't any different than any other fan base, they reasonably expect that it be done here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on October 23, 2014, 02:58:21 pm
I can somewhat agree...but, with our personnel at the time I was for coach Kyle.  he wouldn't had to change much of the recruiting philosophy.  This guy will land somewhere big soon.  SMITE AWAY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Whittingham

Good experienced coach.  He may have been a better choice.

Part of the narrative to this point would have been:  Long hired a coach coming off a losing season with a defensive coaching background and Arkansas needs an aggressive offensive head coach to make up for the lack of talent we have defensively. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Who is our Coach?

Yeah, that's a kick in the pills to be sure.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 03:12:15 pm
I just want to know exactly how many years will it take to be enough? Surely someone making as much money as CBB doesn't need more than 4 years to get "his players" to be able to win at least enough games to go bowling. Seems to me that some on here have already moved expectations to giving him at least 5 or 6 years. Why?

He can't share that money with recruits. 

Can't tell you exactly.  It will be his team with his recruits in a couple of seasons with maybe a couple of exceptions.  Fairly or not, that will be when harsher judgments will be made.  For Bielema to have success, he will need to have been nearly perfect in this rebuild in terms of staff building and recruiting.  He has already changed one coordinator.  He can't afford to have a class with many misses or attrition. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 23, 2014, 03:19:50 pm
Using extrapolation logic popular with many around here, many players winning big at Ole Miss are NUTT'S recruits, making things even worse.

Some are Nutt's recruits.  But most are smart enough to know the impact Freeze's recruits are having on their success. 

majp51

No You are not out of line. The problem is that in the anonymity of the Internet we get idiots, and their sock puppets, saying:

"Brandon Allen is not SEC Material"
and other Drek about CBB

What happens then is the people now referred to as "Sunshine Pumpers" go on the offensive.

In the end rational Discussion and Debate go out the window as collateral damage.

3of5-2

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 03:23:18 pm
He can't share that money with recruits. 

Can't tell you exactly.  It will be his team with his recruits in a couple of seasons with maybe a couple of exceptions.  Fairly or not, that will be when harsher judgments will be made.  For Bielema to have success, he will need to have been nearly perfect in this rebuild in terms of staff building and recruiting.  He has already changed one coordinator.  He can't afford to have a class with many misses or attrition.
Sounds like you mean 4, possibly 5 at the most.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on October 23, 2014, 03:36:33 pm
Sounds like you mean 4, possibly 5 at the most.

Depends on what happens in seasons 3 and 4.  I do not like for expectations to be so fluid that we keep moving them enough for the coach to continue to meet them which we will do with our current basketball coach.  Season two though is way too early considering where we were when Bielema started to set a definite time table on this. 

3of5-2

I agree, he has to have the 4, but there has to be some conference wins, plural, in there.