Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Major academic fraud findings at UNC- 3100 students 18 years in the making

Started by Hogwild, October 22, 2014, 12:35:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

UNC tried to throw Butch under the bus, but this was took big to cover up.

47% of those involved were athletes, Roy Williams academic advisor was aware the classes were a sham

NCAA to reopen the case(s)

http://townhall.com/news/us/2014/10/22/probe-reveals-scope-of-academic-fraud-at-unc-n1908674

NaturalStateReb

Here's a link from the NY Post on the story.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=578820.msg0#new

It's pretty clear that the NCAA hangman will be visiting Chapel Hill very, very soon. 

The report does not exonerate Butch Davis, btw--although it's clear that he didn't invent the problem at UNC, it doesn't look like he took much action to stop it, either, assuming he knew about it.  At best it can be said that athletes during his tenure took advantage of a cheating system already in place. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 22, 2014, 01:08:08 pm
Here's a link from the NY Post on the story.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=578820.msg0#new

It's pretty clear that the NCAA hangman will be visiting Chapel Hill very, very soon. 

The report does not exonerate Butch Davis, btw--although it's clear that he didn't invent the problem at UNC, it doesn't look like he took much action to stop it, either, assuming he knew about it.  At best it can be said that athletes during his tenure took advantage of a cheating system already in place.

Looking like the hangman can go from Okie state, swing by UGA and say thank you guys for handling this the correct way, we want to add 1 more game to Gurley's suspension and off you go, then stop by and slam Winston and Fisher, on the way up too crush UNC. 

All_Hogs

I knew an athlete at UNC in late 2000's.  He said he took that class.  Made an A or B.  All he had to do was turn in a single term paper on an African American leader.  As long as you didn't copy/paste directly from Wikipedia, you'd get a good grade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: All_Hogs on October 22, 2014, 01:54:41 pm
I knew an athlete at UNC in late 2000's.  He said he took that class.  Made an A or B.  All he had to do was turn in a single term paper on an African American leader.  As long as you didn't copy/paste directly from Wikipedia, you'd get a good grade.

You mean wikipedia isn't true?
This is my non-signature signature.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

talley

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 22, 2014, 02:00:32 pm
I wonder how many other places this is going on.

Everywhere i would bet.  My brother played baseball at north ark and got an A in a class he literally didnt know he had until the semester was over.  It was the same time as another class he took and was taught by the coach. 

wildturkey8

UNC has a great reputation academically.  So sad.  I hope none of this happened during Dean Smith's tenure.

ballz2thewall

someone i trust at ole miss swears that bo wallace has a confirmed .52 gpa.  we casually discussed it and supposedly built in processes within the school and the ncaa allow it to stay jumbled so that he is eligible.
The rest of the frog.

GolfnHog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on October 22, 2014, 02:15:32 pm
UNC has a great reputation academically.  So sad.  I hope none of this happened during Dean Smith's tenure.

Apparently a reputation of excellence in education built on fraud and perpetuated by a whole generation of administrators.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ballz2thewall

as a professional that deals in messes all the time, including the academic world

there's no possible way that, 1) IF this is has the depth as reported and as inferred, 2) there is no way that coaches can not be aware of it at the very least if several of their important athletes are involved.

IF the coaches truly don't know it is due to a system designed to build plausible denial.  in such case delegatee/subbordinates are in place to protect the top.

the credibility of the shield is often dependent on a so-called "rogue" actor, or group.

now; that said - it is likely unlikely that a top head coach would ever scour the actual contents of course requirements and achievements, so as review what the student actually produces in one of these classes.

the part that is often unfair to the top is when they walk in unknowing, spend a few years without any questions ever raised, then BAM, it hits, and the coach finds its been there all along.  this is a tough spot.  what do you do?  its not an easy question to answer.

something as systemic as what is reported at UNC will surface, or should surface, when a questionable athlete has eligibility issues that must be closely watched by the coaches.

this will be interesting in the play-out.
The rest of the frog.

jjdlc

Every college has "bird" courses, usually it's just a teacher that doesn't want to be there teaching the class.  You show up most of the time, and give minimal effort to the work, and your going to get an A or B regardless.  The students pretty much all know which ones they are, I've even heard counselors recommend them to students taking heavy loads to fill electives etc. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 22, 2014, 02:00:32 pm
I wonder how many other places this is going on.

Maybe not as overtly but quite a few over the years.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

Quote from: jjdlc on October 22, 2014, 03:15:40 pm
Every college has "bird" courses, usually it's just a teacher that doesn't want to be there teaching the class.  You show up most of the time, and give minimal effort to the work, and your going to get an A or B regardless.

Yes, but this 'teacher' wasn't even in the country much less the classroom. No one ever attended his class, because it never existed.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 22, 2014, 02:21:16 pm
someone i trust at ole miss swears that bo wallace has a confirmed .52 gpa.  we casually discussed it and supposedly built in processes within the school and the ncaa allow it to stay jumbled so that he is eligible.

At least he's ahead of Bluto.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

davidharwood

As a certified old geezer, I recall that once a class at the UA was over and the grade issued, that was it. Now I see that it seems a common practice at various universities to allow up to 30 days for a student to appeal a final grade. I have personally heard one student ask her dad if it would help if she cried during the meeting with her professor to change her grade. I would love to listen to some of these appeals.
My name has been carved on the UA sidewalks a total of 3 times, and my daughter's twice, but when I stop getting chills from the Alma Mater and the opening of the Hog Pen gates, I'll know it's time to stay home by the fireplace and wait for the new John Sandford novel.

downsouthhawg72

This is U.N.C. People. They will get a big slap on the hand, don't do it again, we only came because it's a story now & have a great freaking day.
DownSouthHawg

jjdlc

Quote from: Hogwild on October 22, 2014, 06:06:08 pm
Yes, but this 'teacher' wasn't even in the country much less the classroom. No one ever attended his class, because it never existed.

No doubt, I'm just responding in general to the idea of student athletes taking easy courses everywhere.  I'd wager most institutions would at least have a situation like the one I described where the teacher is at least present.  I'm interested to see what happens with UNC, they stand to take a much larger hit than just to their athletic department from this one.