Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pettway a WR that looks like LB

Started by The Recruiting Guy, October 22, 2014, 12:06:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Hope he commits. He could make a good WR or SS.

secneahog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2014, 12:08:50 pm
Hope he commits. He could make a good WR or SS.

Stop....just stop with the defensive comments on Pettway.
This guy is a 6'3 200 pound wide receiver that has 4.4 speed.
He's being recruited as a wr at Arkansas and Ole Miss, bama.

Everybody wants a stud safety but its not going to be Pettway.

Also, talk about being uncommon . . Pettway highlight video, he has Pearl Jam as his music. That video was freaking awesome.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

CDBHawg

We have numbers at WR.

I'd like to see him at OLB or S. Whichever position he chooses or the staff decides he'll play, I hope he commits soon...to us of course.

secneahog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 22, 2014, 12:27:23 pm
We have numbers at WR.

I'd like to see him at OLB or S. Whichever position he chooses or the staff decides he'll play, I hope he commits soon...to us of course.

We do have numbers at wr. Numbers don't mean crap. We need ELITE wrs. You can want him on defense but that's not going to happen.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

CDBHawg

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 12:29:18 pm
We do have numbers at wr. Numbers don't mean crap. We need ELITE wrs. You can want him on defense but that's not going to happen.

Okay. Chill out. I was just talking recruiting.

Numbers matter more than you're thinking. Ever heard of depth.

Good call on the 2-deep at RB...

Quote from: secneahog on November 15, 2013, 08:44:19 am
Do not sleep on Denzell Evans at rb. RS FRESHMAN.

PorkRinds

He looks like a man among boys on his highlight film.

secneahog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 22, 2014, 12:38:42 pm

Chill out?  I am chilled. I am also talking recruiting.

Please do tell what has been told to think Pettway will play on defense in college.
No one from ole piss or bama boards thinks he will play defense for them.

So why does some Arkansas fans?

D. Evans is a very good rb. He will be very good at Arkansas. I guess since he hasn't cracked the two deep yet, I was way off.

Kevin

if he is 6-3, 200, running sub 4.5, then we need a commitment right now
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bennyl08

When I see Michael Irvin on TV, i still can't help but assume he played LB in the NFL, and not receiver. He looks like he weighs about 240 of pure muscle.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

010HogFan

This guy is slipping underneath everyone's radar. There was so much talk about KJ but I think this guy is every bit of the player that KJ is. He just plays at a smaller school. We need him badly. Him lined up opposite KJ and Edwards/Cornelius would be scary

The_Bionic_Pig

Pettway & Reed are on the remaining wish list...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

secneahog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 22, 2014, 12:38:42 pm

Didn't you say if we got Froholdt & Dean there's no way we go after a juco dlineman?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 12:52:44 pm

Please do tell what has been told to think Pettway will play on defense in college.

D. Evans is a very good rb. He will be very good at Arkansas. I guess since he hasn't cracked the two deep yet, I was way off.

The reason Arkansas fans keep trying to turn everyone into an LB, CB or safety is that we don't have high quality LB's, CB's or safeties.  And so far they aren't on the commit list either. With limited space available.  And that's troubling.

secneahog

Quote from: Kevin on October 22, 2014, 12:54:57 pm
if he is 6-3, 200, running sub 4.5, then we need a commitment right now

By some posters we need a commitment from him so we can try and play him at safety.

Since we have numbers at wr, who needs a 6'3 200 4.4 instate wr ?!   

We don't need a big wr that can fight to get open vs bigger CBS these days.
Who needs a Treadwell..Amari Cooper...lets just put Pettway at safety.

COCHISE

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 12:26:53 pm

Also, talk about being uncommon . . Pettway highlight video, he has Pearl Jam as his music. That video was freaking awesome.
The fact that Pettway had played mostly QB up to this year and is still learning the receiver position makes it plausible that some schools are recruiting him as an athlete who could be used in various positions in college.

secneahog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 22, 2014, 01:03:14 pm
The reason Arkansas fans keep trying to turn everyone into an LB, CB or safety is that we don't have high quality LB's, CB's or safeties.  And so far they aren't on the commit list either. With limited space available.  And that's troubling.

Ok. We don't have quality lbers or CBS? I know we have depth issues, but to say we don't have quality lbers and corners is retarded. We've been addressing those spots well IMO.

Safety is a concern of course. Limited spots..yeah. Does that mean take a really good wr and throw him at safety because he's 6'3 200 ?? 

secneahog

Quote from: COCHISE on October 22, 2014, 01:08:52 pm
The fact that Pettway had played mostly QB up to this year and is still learning the receiver position makes it plausible that some schools are recruiting him as an athlete who could be used in various positions in college.

As a junior he had over 1000 yards receiving , 56 receptions and 15 touchdowns.

Lets look at who is recruiting Pettway.

Ole Miss. Grant Heard. Wr coach.
Bama. Billy Napier. Wr coach.
Arkansas. Smith. Wr coach.
Louisville. Lamar Thomas. Wr coach.

Do you see a common trend here??

COCHISE

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 01:16:50 pm

Yeah. All those guys recruit athletes too. Dave Wommack is also recruiting him for Ole Miss and he's the DC. Rivals and 247 both list him as an athlete. Again, it's not crazy to suggest he could play defense.

jb11

Actually RD says he is getting recruited by Lunney. Maybe he is going to play TE at the UofA.  ;)

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 22, 2014, 12:47:23 pm
He looks like a man among boys on his highlight film.
Pettway is outstanding but Nashville High School must have the best strength program in their area. On the video I watched, the whole Nashville team generally looked like men playing against boys.

secneahog

Quote from: jb11 on October 22, 2014, 01:39:11 pm
Actually RD says he is getting recruited by Lunney. Maybe he is going to play TE at the UofA.  ;)

No. But Lunney does coach offense.

Certain posters would send every recruit to safety or lber.

It gets a little ridiculous. ....

secneahog

Quote from: COCHISE on October 22, 2014, 01:30:12 pm
Yeah. All those guys recruit athletes too. Dave Wommack is also recruiting him for Ole Miss and he's the DC. Rivals and 247 both list him as an athlete. Again, it's not crazy to suggest he could play defense.

McGee at Louisville is also recruiting him. He coaches offense.

But answer me this, what has been told or shown that us or ole piss is recruiting him to play defense?

lumphog

agree on the music!!!! I want him for his taste in music

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 01:09:35 pm
Ok. We don't have quality lbers or CBS? I know we have depth issues, but to say we don't have quality lbers and corners is retarded. We've been addressing those spots well IMO.

Safety is a concern of course. Limited spots..yeah. Does that mean take a really good wr and throw him at safety because he's 6'3 200 ??
Note that you said quality LB's and Corners.  I said HIGH quality.

We are addressing those spots?  We have 15 commitments with zero in the defensive back 7.  There will be at least 3-4 more offensive positions taken in this class, leaving no more than 5-6 spots for the defensive back 7.  But we are going to have 8 tight ends and 15 wide receivers.  Most of whom will never see the field.

If you are turning wide receivers in to defensive backs you aren't recruiting.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

CDBHawg

Lunney is his lead recruiter for Arkansas.

CDBHawg

October 22, 2014, 04:06:06 pm #27 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:38:39 pm by CDBHawg

What has been told? Nothing too definite that I can recall. I never said I thought he would play defense. Just that I'd like to see him as a safety or OLB. If he plays WR, so be it. I'm all for it.

He has stated himself that he doesn't care where he plays in college, leaving the assumption that playing on the defensive side of the ball might have been presented to him.

WBC Hog

6'3 200 lbs and runs a 4.5?  I don't care what position he plays. I want him and want him to commit now!

With his measurables, he could really play QB, RB, WR, LB, S and could possibly be a small TE or DE.  Stating the obvious, he's an athlete and unless the coaching staff or RD has stated what position he'll play, nobody knows!

TrojanHog

Seems we really have only 2 choices here with a recruit such as this according to my bonafide Hogville talent scout certification.

1, we can make him lose about 50 pounds and see if he can kick a field goal, or 2, we can put 100 pounds on him and see if he can play defensive tackle.

We certainly don't want to leave him at a position he's comfortable at and currently has the size to play, that would be much too easy. We need to tinker with him and fit him somewhere else.

IBleedRazorbackRed

The reason everyone says to play him at safety is

1. It's been vaguely stated by recruiting guys that the staff would rather have reed than pettway. Seems like a stretch to take 4 wr's this class.

2. His defensive numbers are just as good as his offensive numbers.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: secneahog on October 22, 2014, 01:06:15 pm
By some posters we need a commitment from him so we can try and play him at safety.

Since we have numbers at wr, who needs a 6'3 200 4.4 instate wr ?!   

We don't need a big wr that can fight to get open vs bigger CBS these days.
Who needs a Treadwell..Amari Cooper...lets just put Pettway at safety.
amari cooper is not a big wr.  He is average size

tophawg19

he can play WR or SS and would do well at either one . with added weight he could also be a mean OLB . very good player that has that ability to play anywhere he wants. and is smart enough to learn any position
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

COCHISE

I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter what he is recruited as coming out of high school. He's a heck of an athlete and once he commits and arrives on whatever campus he chooses to attend, the coaches at that school will evaluate him and put him at whatever position they feel he would be most productive. Similar to when the defensive and offensive coaches were arguing over who would get McFadden.

BatesvilleHOG

Pettway will not play defense in college. He is listed as an athlete because he plays so many positions in the high school game. He is projected to be a WR in college and that is the position he will play.

MH04

One thing I know for sure is that there is no reason to argue about it. He hasn't even committed yet

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 22, 2014, 06:54:27 pm
Pettway will not play defense in college. He is listed as an athlete because he plays so many positions in the high school game. He is projected to be a WR in college and that is the position he will play.

The kid is a good to great player in HS. Worthy of recruiting. How he does at the next level is yet to be determined or even at which position he may be best utilized. I'm not crowning any kids, regardless of their accomplishments in high school (short of a very few) as to how they will perform at the SEC level. Recruit the best kids that the staff evaluates and thinks are worthy of an offer and then see where they place them.

This staff knows a whole lot more about who will play where, and better, than at another position.
Go Hogs Go!

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 22, 2014, 08:16:22 pm
The kid is a good to great player in HS. Worthy of recruiting. How he does at the next level is yet to be determined or even at which position he may be best utilized. I'm not crowning any kids, regardless of their accomplishments in high school (short of a very few) as to how they will perform at the SEC level. Recruit the best kids that the staff evaluates and thinks are worthy of an offer and then see where they place them.

This staff knows a whole lot more about who will play where, and better, than at another position.[b/]
which is exactly why Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Bama are recruiting him to play WR. So glad Hogville is home of the largest selection of undiscovered College Football coaches

CDBHawg

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 22, 2014, 08:23:15 pm
which is exactly why Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Bama are recruiting him to play WR. So glad Hogville is home of the largest selection of undiscovered College Football coaches

Players show up all the time and play different positions. Nobody ever stated Pettway would play Safety. Just that he might project to play there. And, yes, it's an area of need.

Nate Holmes - RB, DB, RB
Otha Peters - OLB, MLB, OLB, MLB, FB
Colton Nash - DE, TE, DE, TE

I could go on and on....but you get the point.

Pork Twain

He will make an awesome safety.  Been a while since we have had one of those.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

CPO Hog

I listened to the Nashville/Ashdown game last Friday night. He was a pretty much no-show on offense. May be because the Scrapper QB was running for his life all night. He had a Pick-6 and several tackles on D. 

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 22, 2014, 08:23:15 pm

If he's dead set on wr, ole piss may be his only option

Fort Dweller

Pettway, from his own mouth on RDs show, stated some schools were also recruiting him as a S.  It isn't wild speculation.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Huckleberry Pig

he's 6'3, 200 and apparently runs a sub 4.5....

I'll take him wherever he/the coaches want

The Boar War

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 22, 2014, 12:27:23 pm
We have numbers at WR.

We might have three wide receivers that I would count on to catch a pass in a game.  One of those can get separation.

CDBHawg

Quote from: The Boar War on October 23, 2014, 09:33:30 pm
We might have three wide receivers that I would count on to catch a pass in a game.  One of those can get separation.

I wouldn't argue that. But Hatcher will be back. Cornelius looks to be good. Edwards looks decent as well. Jojo redshirted. KJ will play. Deon stewart is committed as well. We'll have 10 guys at WR next year. You can't exactly cut the other seven that you can't count on to make room for other players.

My only point is that there are more pertinent needs. Such as S and LB. And with only 85 scholarships available, the numbers have to balance out somehow.

CDBHawg

As stated above. Don't rule it out. It's definitely not an idea that's ludicrous.

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 21, 2014, 12:43:47 pm
He plays safety too. Could be an option on the next level. Arkansas likes him at Wr but never rule out a move especially with a guy that has La'Michael's size.

Vantage 8 dude

I believe it's high time for the young man to go ahead and commit to the Hogs and make it an instate "clean sweep" as far as scholarship offers. Come on down and join the fun Mr. Pettway.

secneahog

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 22, 2014, 08:49:07 pm
Players show up all the time and play different positions. Nobody ever stated Pettway would play Safety. Just that he might project to play there. And, yes, it's an area of need.

Nate Holmes - RB, DB, RB
Otha Peters - OLB, MLB, OLB, MLB, FB
Colton Nash - DE, TE, DE, TE

I could go on and on....but you get the point.

I see you listed Petrino recruits. T.Wright. sleepy. Yeah we could go on and on with Petrino recruits switching after they got here.

Were in the Bielema era now. Duwop is the only one I know that got here as a qb but switched to wr, rb. I don't see Bielema bringing in very many recruits that play offense mostly in hs, and switching them to defense.