Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quarterbacks Left, Brandon Allen comparison

Started by Hogopotamus, October 22, 2014, 11:30:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Wants2Win on October 22, 2014, 02:13:40 pm
Say he hits these numbers and fails to win a conference game. Is he starting next season?

Seriously??

As I stated in a rebuttal to another amazingly asinine argument, Brandon Allen will start every game he is eligible; barring injury.

This team lacks SEC depth across the board. Glaringly so at WR and defensive back. This coaching staff schemes within the framework of it's offensive philosophy to hide those shortcomings.

Enjoy the process of watching a program being built the right way. Give this thing two more years, and if then it is apparent things are not improving--by all means gather up the torches and pick forks.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

MissippHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 22, 2014, 02:55:29 pm

Sims, ALA:  113.7
Wallace, OM:  111.9
Prescott, MSU:  103.3
Mason, UGA:  102.7
Hill, A&M:  94.38
Thompson, SC:  91.29
Marshall, AU:  87.13
Allen, ARK:  81.22
Towles, UK:  80.77
Jennings, LSU:  80.1
Worley, TN:  69.98
Driskell, FLA:  31.54
Mauk, MU:  18.57

Do we even have a receiver that would start for any of the teams with QBR's higher than BA's?

ifghog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 22, 2014, 01:41:26 pm
You want production?  You are just to lazy to look it up and see you're receiving it. 

-He's already thrown for as many TD's as last year
-He's about 20% less yards already this year as his entire season last year
-His completion percentage is noticeable up
-His long this year is further than last year
-YPA is higher/further

That is production.  People are angry at the W-L, but the burden is not solely on QB.  They are just at the front of the face of a team so they take the majority of the blows, accurate or inaccurate. 
Look man. I have defended BA up to this point....I think he is a PRETTY GOOD QB...he has made good decisions for the most part but this is what I will say....a good QB will find a way to get the win in a close game no matter what. He just doesn't have the it factor. Now you can say that is BS or whatever but I have either coached or played sports my whole life. I am 37 so I been around for a bit. There are just guys that have the "it factor" I just don't think Brandon has it. I am not saying we should bench him this year but I think you see what you get with him. A guy who isn't gonna get you beat but...isn't gonna beat another team either. When you have a team on the cusp as we are but just not quite there. That QB with the it factor helps you get over the hump. Brandon has had time to prove if he has that or not and he just simply does not. I like the kid and he does way better than I ever could..lol...but I just don't think he will be the guy to get us over that proverbial hump. Hope I am dead wrong.

Hogopotamus

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 22, 2014, 02:55:29 pm
First, we've got the Nicholls State game in here.  In that game, Allen scored 4 of his 13 TDs in a matchup that was ridiculous.  Take the terrible FCS opponent out, and the numbers shift--the TD/INT ration sinks to 2.25 (9/4), and his QBR is 85.79.  When you look just at conference games, it slides further to a mere 81.22.

Good point.  Let's take a look.  How does Allen's conference QBR stack up against the rest of the starting QBs in the SEC (excluding Vandy, which is now on its 4th starter)?

Sims, ALA:  113.7
Wallace, OM:  111.9
Prescott, MSU:  103.3
Mason, UGA:  102.7
Hill, A&M:  94.38
Thompson, SC:  91.29
Marshall, AU:  87.13
Allen, ARK:  81.22
Towles, UK:  80.77
Jennings, LSU:  80.1
Worley, TN:  69.98
Driskell, FLA:  31.54
Mauk, MU:  18.57

Admittedly, this is only 7 games in, but Allen is not in the top half of the conference in QBR when it counts--conference games--in a league full of mediocre QBs.  He's one more poor performance from slipping to the bottom 3rd.

No one doubts Brandon Allen's heart, desire to win, or commitment to Arkansas.  But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how committed you are, highly rated you were, or whatever else:  you have to produce, and you are what your record says you are.  Right now, that record says Allen is not a particularly good QB--average, at best--that hasn't won an SEC game.  That doesn't mean things couldn't change, but he is what his record says he is.

Every team plays some cupcakes and pads their stats (Nichols). Within the SEC you are correct he is a middle of the pack QB, however he is not helped by a sub-par receiving corps and an offensive line that is great at run blocking, but really too big and slow for pass blocking (not a knock on the Off. line, but they are the biggest in the game which is bound to slow you down and make it harder to stop the fast SEC D. ends and corner blitzes). As the sbnation article argues, he is also not helped by their insistence to pass almost exclusively out of play action from center, this makes it much harder to get through progressions due to much more limited time to survey the field. Finally, a QB in our system will likely never be one of the top QBs in the SEC as we are run-first style, and therefore will work less on the pass game then most, and likely never have a stable full of SEC caliber WRs.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 22, 2014, 02:56:44 pm
Seriously??

As I stated in a rebuttal to another amazingly asinine argument, Brandon Allen will start every game he is eligible; barring injury.

This team lacks SEC depth across the board. Glaringly so at WR and defensive back. This coaching staff schemes within the framework of it's offensive philosophy to hide those shortcomings.

Enjoy the process of watching a program being built the right way. Give this thing two more years, and if then it is apparent things are not improving--by all means gather up the torches and pick forks.
What would be apparent to you that things are not improving? 20 game losing streak? 25? Just curious...

The_Iceman

Quote from: MissippHog on October 22, 2014, 03:04:49 pm
Do we even have a receiver that would start for any of the teams with QBR's higher than BA's?

Heck, even the teams below.

NaturalStateReb

I think Hatcher would start at UK, Tennessee, Mizzou, Florida, and maybe LSU. 

Hunter Henry would start practically anywhere, except possibly Ole Miss.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ifghog on October 22, 2014, 03:10:25 pm
Look man. I have defended BA up to this point....I think he is a PRETTY GOOD QB...he has made good decisions for the most part but this is what I will say....a good QB will find a way to get the win in a close game no matter what. He just doesn't have the it factor. Now you can say that is BS or whatever but I have either coached or played sports my whole life. I am 37 so I been around for a bit. There are just guys that have the "it factor" I just don't think Brandon has it. I am not saying we should bench him this year but I think you see what you get with him. A guy who isn't gonna get you beat but...isn't gonna beat another team either. When you have a team on the cusp as we are but just not quite there. That QB with the it factor helps you get over the hump. Brandon has had time to prove if he has that or not and he just simply does not. I like the kid and he does way better than I ever could..lol...but I just don't think he will be the guy to get us over that proverbial hump. Hope I am dead wrong.

It's funny, the best QB with the most TD ever to play the game had his "It" factor knocked right out of him in the superbowl last year. 

It was easy to dispute your post and I didn't even have to read the whole thing.  You cant put Peyton behind the NYG O line with the panthers WR's and add in a decent RB and he's killed. 

We block that CB 50% of the time in the UGA game and we probably win. 

Anyone wanting to use QBR to discuss BA, the BA used in this thread is WAY off from what ESPN says his QBR is, btw the actual number helps some arguments in here and it's not mine.

BA did enough to win the A&M game and the Bama game.  We could make an argument even that if Hatcher makes the early catch in the auburn game and we emotionally dominate that game and the outcome is different. 

We will win as a team and lose as a team.  Right now, not one individual is responsible for any of the losses we have on our 2014 schedule.  Replacing anyone single possession is not going to net better results. 

Lake City Hog

Reb, ya think ANY of the other SEC QB's threw any touchdown against their cupcakes? Ya think that being on a WINNING team might just be a little influence on QB stats? Ya think that it might be just a little bit possible that if our OC would quit calling those 2 yard out patterns that his YPA would go up dramatically?

Agenda driven posts just destroy good discussion.

Those stats certainly mean something but not much.  What matters is where you swell up, put the team on your shoulders and go win one.  BA doesn't have that and I don't believe he ever will.  He hasn't lost a game nor has he won one.  He doesn't have interceptions because he isn't taking many chances.  He misses open WRs and mis-throws WRs that are sometimes wide open. 

Our receiver corps are not as bad as some report.  I suggest they are within the top 5 groups we've had over the past 25 years.  Please name an entire group during any season that is better than these Guys and it becomes difficult once you name the Petrino receivers.  If Nutt had one Guy who might catch the ball, we thought that was pretty good.

thebignasty

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 22, 2014, 04:25:29 pm
I think Hatcher would start at UK, Tennessee, Mizzou, Florida, and maybe LSU. 

Hunter Henry would start practically anywhere, except possibly Ole Miss.

One receiver might start for maybe 5 SEC teams is a defense of the wide receivers.  BA is a midpack QB is condemnation.

Kind of the point.

thebignasty

Quote from: 12247 on October 22, 2014, 06:04:54 pm
Those stats certainly mean something but not much.  What matters is where you swell up, put the team on your shoulders and go win one.  BA doesn't have that and I don't believe he ever will.  He hasn't lost a game nor has he won one.  He doesn't have interceptions because he isn't taking many chances.  He misses open WRs and mis-throws WRs that are sometimes wide open. 

Our receiver corps are not as bad as some report.  I suggest they are within the top 5 groups we've had over the past 25 years.  Please name an entire group during any season that is better than these Guys and it becomes difficult once you name the Petrino receivers.  If Nutt had one Guy who might catch the ball, we thought that was pretty good.

BA would be right up there with the best QBs of the Nutt era, too.  In fact, BA's pace this year would put him on pace with Stoerner's best year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clint-stoerner-1.html

Though, I don't think we have receivers on this team of the same caliber as Anthony Lucas, or Marcus Monk.  Keon Hatcher might compare favorably to George Wilson.

onebadrubi

Quote from: thebignasty on October 22, 2014, 07:18:44 pm
BA would be right up there with the best QBs of the Nutt era, too.  In fact, BA's pace this year would put him on pace with Stoerner's best year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clint-stoerner-1.html

So what you are saying is we are basically in a first year with a healthy QB, passing the best QB years for Nutt, with a young inexperienced Oline and young talent at WR.  I like these odds for the next 2-4 years then!  Only going up!

jmb1973

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2014, 02:00:24 pm
Brandon Allen is on pace for:

2220 passing yards, 23 TD's, 7 INT's.

Who wouldn't have taken that before the season?
Honestly, if someone had told me at the beginning of the season he would have those numbers, I would have guessed our final record at 8-4

jmb1973

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 22, 2014, 05:44:27 pm
Reb, ya think ANY of the other SEC QB's threw any touchdown against their cupcakes? Ya think that being on a WINNING team might just be a little influence on QB stats? Ya think that it might be just a little bit possible that if our OC would quit calling those 2 yard out patterns that his YPA would go up dramatically?

Could have just asked him "ya think?" His answer would have negated the need for a response to the other questions. I assure you, he didn't think.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 22, 2014, 05:44:27 pm

Sure. That's why I used stats against SEC competition.

I don't have an agenda, and it's not all on BA by a long shot. Still, he's completely average at best.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: thebignasty on October 22, 2014, 07:15:46 pm

One receiver might start for maybe 5 SEC teams is a defense of the wide receivers.  BA is a midpack QB is condemnation.

Kind of the point.

I didn't defend them, just answered the question. They're a major problem area. So are DBs.