Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perspective

Started by Piggfoot, October 22, 2014, 10:49:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

I started watching Razorback football and became a fan about the time JFB took over as head coach of the hogs. From then till now I have watched the Hogs during great years and not so great years. I have seen the Hogs coached by great coaches and not so great coaches. It takes time to really judge the merit of teams and coaches. I believe some coaches were given too much time and others maybe not enough.

Not until this year, during a time of rebuilding, do I ever remember the hogs facing the gauntlet they have faced and have yet to face. To be sure during some of the Hogs better years we have faced some great teams and we have beaten some great ranked teams.

I don't remember winning that many times against ranked teams but those times are foremost in my memory. If I had to guess I would say our win record against ranked teams would be much, much less than 50:50. Yet, this year during this time of rebuilding we are facing the most brutal schedule ever faced by a hog team. Maybe a statistician will provide the information on how we have fared against ranked teams in the past.

During my time as a hog fan I have never come in contact with fans claiming to be hog fans yet constantly complaining  and in my opinion doing  and saying things that tear down the program and the fan base.  Admittedly I am not from the "I expect it, I demand it, I deserve it, now generation." I have two boys who are of that generation and  we don't get along well.

Some coaches, false prophets, have enter into our program when the previous coach had started rebuilding but wasn't given enough time to reap the rewards of his work .  Or perhaps they entered the program when there was  an unusual quantity of local high quality athletes. These coaches did well for a time. They were and are of the immediate gratification type. They were snake oil salesmen. They weren't builders. Their history was  cloudy.

Our present coach has history of not only stepping into a great program but of continuing to build that program. His background of mentors is impressive. His approach to recruiting at Arkansas is without equal in my life time. His demand on his players is unequaled. History will only tell how successful he may become at Arkansas. That is if the immediate gratification people don't run him off. Then I suspect a new coach will do well for a while using the previous coach's recruits . We will then hear from the immediate gratification people how right they were all along.

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SemperFi

Great post, sir! Really appreciate your input. Coach Bielema is the right man for the job and I trust in his methods as the results are clear and evident. Except for those loud few that can't see the forest for the trees, most are standing by what Coach is building and will continue to support so that we may all reap the benefits. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

MalzahnFan

Quote from: SemperFi on October 22, 2014, 10:56:19 am
Great post, sir! Really appreciate your input. Coach Bielema is the right man for the job and I trust in his methods as the results are clear and evident. Except for those loud few that can't see the forest for the trees, most are standing by what Coach is building and will continue to support so that we may all reap the benefits. WPS!

How long did you say the same about HDN? 10 Years? Right now Bielema can't even be mediocre. 0-16 speaks for itself.

FutureMan

Thanks for the post.  I, for one, believe you are right on the money.  Albeit a bad first half during the Georgia game (which every team, from every coach has now and then), this team has improved.  With the kind of recruits we are now getting and the player development we are creating, the future is amazingly bright. 
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

BorderPatrol

Quote from: MalzahnFan on October 22, 2014, 11:46:01 am
How long did you say the same about HDN? 10 Years? Right now Bielema can't even be mediocre. 0-16 speaks for itself.

Dude, just go away.

bp

Capt. Hamm

Good post!  :razorback:

Mike_e

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 22, 2014, 12:39:11 pm
Dude, just go away.

bp

Nah, he's like that guy weaving in traffic.

Keep him where you can see him so when he crashes and burns you can go around him instead of letting him get you involved.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

bphi11ips

Appreciate your perspective.  The current coach deserves an opportunity to prove his concept. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hog911

0-12 under Bielema and 0-16  after Petrino. Look, in all fairness Bielema deserves three years without being on the hot seat. We need to at least make a bowl game next year and the year after it completely his team, so zero excuses.

Tusks

You can belittle the hogs and hog fans all you want but mlazahn ain't walking through that razorback door.  If you think the 'monkey with a whistle' is walking through that coaching door, you are wrong again.  I suggest you enjoy the barners success and think about which team you're gong to root for in a few years when BB has the hogs competitive and beats the barners.  Will you be depressed or happy that day.  The choice is yours.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

MalzahnFan

Quote from: tusked on October 22, 2014, 01:01:00 pm
You can belittle the hogs and hog fans all you want but mlazahn ain't walking through that razorback door.  If you think the 'monkey with a whistle' is walking through that coaching door, you are wrong again.  I suggest you enjoy the barners success and think about which team you're gong to root for in a few years when BB has the hogs competitive and beats the barners.  Will you be depressed or happy that day.  The choice is yours.
I'm not belittling anyone. And I love the hogs that doesn't mean I have to love the coach. I know that's a hard concept for you to understand. And you're right its fans like you that we don't have a good coach and passed on him twice. You would rather have an arrogant coach that can't win an sec game? And as far as being depressed or happy I don't have to worry about that day because it won't ever happen. You think Bielema will beat Auburn by running it up the middle every down? haha you are quite delusional my friend. Go Hogs

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MalzahnFan on October 22, 2014, 01:48:44 pm
I'm not belittling anyone. And I love the hogs that doesn't mean I have to love the coach. I know that's a hard concept for you to understand. And you're right its fans like you that we don't have a good coach and passed on him twice. You would rather have an arrogant coach that can't win an sec game? And as far as being depressed or happy I don't have to worry about that day because it won't ever happen. You think Bielema will beat Auburn by running it up the middle every down? haha you are quite delusional my friend. Go Hogs
It never fails. A thoughtful post by someone who has seen a lot of Hog football  over the years is quickly dumped on by a whiner who wants some other team's coach here.

Malzahn ain't coming. Get over it. He will never coach here. He's got a great situation where he is. He can run his football program while Auburn boosters grease the wheels. He sees nothing. He hears nothing. He knows nothing.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 22, 2014, 10:49:52 am
I started watching Razorback football and became a fan about the time JFB took over as head coach of the hogs. From then till now I have watched the Hogs during great years and not so great years. I have seen the Hogs coached by great coaches and not so great coaches. It takes time to really judge the merit of teams and coaches. I believe some coaches were given too much time and others maybe not enough.

Not until this year, during a time of rebuilding, do I ever remember the hogs facing the gauntlet they have faced and have yet to face. To be sure during some of the Hogs better years we have faced some great teams and we have beaten some great ranked teams.

I don't remember winning that many times against ranked teams but those times are foremost in my memory. If I had to guess I would say our win record against ranked teams would be much, much less than 50:50. Yet, this year during this time of rebuilding we are facing the most brutal schedule ever faced by a hog team. Maybe a statistician will provide the information on how we have fared against ranked teams in the past.

During my time as a hog fan I have never come in contact with fans claiming to be hog fans yet constantly complaining  and in my opinion doing  and saying things that tear down the program and the fan base.  Admittedly I am not from the "I expect it, I demand it, I deserve it, now generation." I have two boys who are of that generation and  we don't get along well.

Some coaches, false prophets, have enter into our program when the previous coach had started rebuilding but wasn't given enough time to reap the rewards of his work .  Or perhaps they entered the program when there was  an unusual quantity of local high quality athletes. These coaches did well for a time. They were and are of the immediate gratification type. They were snake oil salesmen. They weren't builders. Their history was  cloudy.

Our present coach has history of not only stepping into a great program but of continuing to build that program. His background of mentors is impressive. His approach to recruiting at Arkansas is without equal in my life time. His demand on his players is unequaled. History will only tell how successful he may become at Arkansas. That is if the immediate gratification people don't run him off. Then I suspect a new coach will do well for a while using the previous coach's recruits . We will then hear from the immediate gratification people how right they were all along.

Great post.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 02:01:34 pm
It never fails. A thoughtful post by someone who has seen a lot of Hog football  over the years is quickly dumped on by a whiner who wants some other team's coach here.

Malzahn ain't coming. Get over it. He will never coach here. He's got a great situation where he is. He can run his football program while Auburn boosters grease the wheels. He sees nothing. He hears nothing. He knows nothing.

Well it would seem that he's been deleted. Good call mods.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wild Boarnado

Great post, OP. Time, Patience, and Support is what is needed.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer