Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Collins

Started by Granny fan, October 21, 2014, 06:55:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorSusscrofa

Notice that half the Chaney haters purposely attack the passing calls & "abandoning the run game" and the other half purposely claim we aren't  passing enough to give BA and the receivers enough experience in the passing game and to try enough different passes. This dichotomy is intentional. The purpose of splitting the haters into two conflicting groups is to make sure nothing Chaney does is ok.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:06:49 pm
I agree.

And a certain segment of folks, (maybe even those who authored threads a few weeks ago saying how they were in full support of BB in spite of GOBN types who were behind the scenes trying to bring a certain d-bag back into the fold), try and say that the play calls go through BB's headset, but I am pretty firmly convinced that BB is a defensive minded coach and he respects Chaney because of the numbers Chaney has produced.

However...I am starting to wonder if Bielema is being fooled by Chaney's numbers. I mean, the dude is pretty bad. His record speaks loud and clear.

But that isn't on Bielema, IMO.

We need a better offensive coordinator.

Again, folks would be whining had Chaney tried to stick with the run.  Georgia scored 30 something unanswered.  Nobody has a game plan geared towards the run for that kind of onslaught.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogFanatic

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:09:34 pm
Again, folks would be whining had Chaney tried to stick with the run.  Georgia scored 30 something unanswered.  Nobody has a game plan geared towards the run for that kind of onslaught.

Arkansas ran the ball down Georgia's throat for a TD on the very first drive. It chewed up nearly 8 minutes of clock.

Georgia's response? 5 plays - 1:40 off the clock and took the lead because Arkansas doesn't have a special teams unit.

Arkansas's response? Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt.

Enough said.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:09:34 pm
they never would have scored 30 if we had stuck to the run.  get that in your freaking head man.

when we run the ball on long sustained drives, two things happen.

1) their offense is not on the field so they can't score
2) our defense has time to rest, so they are more able to keep them from scoring

When we pass the ball 4 things happen.

1) we often turn the ball over
2) we more often go 3 and out or damn near.
3) our defense gets tired from being on the field all game and starts to give up points.
4) their offense gets more opportunities to score points.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:09:16 pm
No.
You are incorrect, IMO.
Chaney creates the dichotomy himself.

Meaning YOUR argument is a false dichotomy.

No. I'm not. The fire Chaney group is purposely split to attack regardless of the calls.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:13:18 pm
they never would have scored 30 if we had stuck to the run.  get that in your freaking head man.

2) our defense has time to rest, so they are more able to keep them from scoring

3) our defense gets tired from being on the field all game and starts to give up points.

And Georgia would never adjust..  Gotcha...  Well done.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogFanatic

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 21, 2014, 09:16:20 pm
No. I'm not. The fire Chaney group is purposely split to attack regardless of the calls.

See my last post.

You can see, that regardless how the final numbers appear on the box score, the guy cannot guide the momentum of a game and gets lost in it himself.

CREATING this chasim from which people bicker to begin with.

The false dichotomy is that you presume guys like me are biased one way or another - based on agenda driven elements - and cannot simply see what's before their very eyes...

The guy ISN'T very good. And LOTS of us see it.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:12:15 pm
Arkansas ran the ball down Georgia's throat for a TD on the very first drive. It chewed up nearly 8 minutes of clock.

Georgia's response? 5 plays - 1:40 off the clock and took the lead because Arkansas doesn't have a special teams unit.

Arkansas's response? Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt.

Enough said.

So Chaney can call a masterful first drive and then gets bored.  I gotcha.  We should have one of the media guys ask him about that.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:18:54 pm
See my last post.

You can see, that regardless how the final numbers appear on the box score, the guy cannot guide the momentum of a game and gets lost in it himself.

CREATING this chasim from which people bicker to begin with.

The false dichotomy is that you presume guys like me are biased one way or another - based on agenda driven elements - and cannot simply see what's before their very eyes...

The guy ISN'T very good. And LOTS of us see it.

Getcha a headset and get up there in the booth then.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:19:23 pm
So Chaney can call a masterful first drive and then gets bored.  I gotcha.  We should have one of the media guys ask him about that.
your guess is as good as mine as to why he constantly gets away from what is working.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:13:18 pm

I've read some of your other posts, and you've always seemed kinda reasonable. I guess everyone has an off night.

Of course the world is peachy if we can just run the ball down everyone's throat. Unfortunately the other team has football players, too. Those guys would get made fun of, kinda like Texas tech did, if they just let us run the ball 14 times and then score. Since they know running the ball is our strong suit they commit extra defenders to stop it, and they play schemes that help them stop the run.

When SEC level defenses sell out to stop the run it's damn near impossible to run on them. Since we know they are playing D in that fashion we try to call a few pass plays.

But you knew all that. You're just having an off night. Kinda like Collins when he dropped that pitch that hit him in the freakin hands:)
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 21, 2014, 09:20:13 pm
You have no stinking clue what the game plan is.
just look at the first drive.  I'm pretty sure that was game planned.

then look at what he did afterwards.  they aren't even remotely the same.

Augustus

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:02:57 pm
and I'm gonna keep doing it until people understand the difference between our run game and pass game.

I keep reading that our run game isn't working and we have to go to the pass.  that couldn't be further from the truth.  the numbers speak for themselves.  the Georgia loss is 100% on Chaney.

Really? the 4 turnovers, 8 penalties (several at 15 yds a pop), and atrocious defense in the 2nd Quarter that allowed 2 or 3 scoring drives for UGA... that didn't have anything to do with it?

It was all on Chaney, huh?  Are you really that blinded by your agenda?

HogFanatic

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:20:01 pm
Getcha a headset and get up there in the booth then.

Add argument from authority to the false dichotomy used earlier...

Any more?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Augustus on October 21, 2014, 09:22:05 pm
Really? the 4 turnovers, 8 penalties (several at 15 yds a pop), and atrocious defense in the 2nd Quarter that allowed 2 or 3 scoring drives for UGA... that didn't have anything to do with it?

defense wouldn't have been giving up TD's if they were on the sideline while we drove the ball down Georgias throat.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Augustus on October 21, 2014, 09:22:05 pm

At least 2 of those turnovers were solely on Chaney, IMO.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:23:07 pm
At least 2 of those turnovers were solely on Chaney, IMO.

So Chaney held the ball too long?  Didn't pick up blitz?

Perhaps you should get some words from the man himself...

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/arkansas-coaches-break-down-georgia-look-ahead-to/32006/S-fhjSSWCUe1r6WGY9dFZQ

ghostzapper

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:15:58 pm
easy to say without backing it up. 

surely you have some awesome passsing stats to give us to prove why chaney so easily gives up on the run?  surely

Was sitting next to a Canes fan on the first drive.  He couldn't believe Dawgs made no adjustments on the first drive.  He pointed out the ones they made on the subsequent drives, and the results speak for themselves.  But keep on kidding yourself that defenses remain static through a game.

HogFanatic

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:24:20 pm
So Chaney held the ball too long?  Didn't pick up blitz?

Perhaps you should get some words from the man himself...

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/arkansas-coaches-break-down-georgia-look-ahead-to/32006/S-fhjSSWCUe1r6WGY9dFZQ

Or just perhaps I can say that I didn't like the man's play calling and I believe that his tendency to go pass-happy when he feels any amount of stress leads to miscues when his team gets away what it was geared for.

I mean, afterall, I try and quantify my opinions with "IMO".

PorkSoda

Quote from: golf2day on October 21, 2014, 09:21:09 pm
I've read some of your other posts, and you've always seemed kinda reasonable. I guess everyone has an off night.

Of course the world is peachy if we can just run the ball down everyone's throat. Unfortunately the other team has football players, too. Those guys would get made fun of, kinda like Texas tech did, if they just let us run the ball 14 times and then score. Since they know running the ball is our strong suit they commit extra defenders to stop it, and they play schemes that help them stop the run.

When SEC level defenses sell out to stop the run it's damn near impossible to run on them. Since we know they are playing D in that fashion we try to call a few pass plays.

But you knew all that. You're just having an off night. Kinda like Collins when he dropped that pitch that hit him in the freakin hands:)
would be nice if we at least tried to keep running the ball.  but we will never know cause chaney always, like clockwork, reverts to passing the ball.  as soon as we do, we get behind, then he tries to pass his way out of it, even though there is still plenty of time to run the ball and score in methodical fashion.

And yes, I am usually reasonable, but the georgia game did me in.  I am completely dumbfounded by chaney. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 21, 2014, 09:25:04 pm
Was sitting next to a Canes fan on the first drive.  He couldn't believe Dawgs made no adjustments on the first drive.  He pointed out the ones they made on the subsequent drives, and the results speak for themselves.  But keep on kidding yourself that defenses remain static through a game.
the run game takes commitment.  they can stack the box and you can still run if you block properly.  our team can run it down the throat of damn near any team if they would stick to it, but chaney is pass happy and that is who he is. 

HDN won 10 games running it damn near every play.  everyone knew what was coming and they couldn't stop it.  BB could do the same thing.  he's got the line for it, and he has the RB's for it.  but he lets chaney do what ever he damn pleases.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:28:54 pm
the run game takes commitment.  they can stack the box and you can still run if you block properly.  our team can run it down the throat of damn near any team if they would stick to it, but chaney is pass happy and that is who he is. 

HDN won 10 games running it damn near every play.  everyone knew what was coming and they couldn't stop it.  BB could do the same thing.  he's got the line for it, and he has the RB's for it.  but he lets chaney do what ever he damn pleases.

Rush attempts - 305

Pass attempts - 192

That's pretty pass happy.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:33:53 pm
I know for a fact that I have pointed out instances at least twice this season when Arkansas gained MORE than 10 yards on a carry against an 11 man box.

Once against Auburn on a SECOND AND 11, and again against A&M when Collins went for 50 and a TD.

To say that this team cannot run against a stacked box is just foolish. Especially on the heels of a demoralizing opening drive in which the Hogs chewed over half the clock in the first quarter against ANOTHER top ten team and punched 6 into the end zone.

INEXPLICITLY however, once Georgia scored on the ensuing kickoff, and a few plays, Arkansas COMPLETELY ABANDONED the game plan and went 'air raid' or whatever.

The result was 38-6 at the half.

Chaney is a moron. He has proven it time after time.

LOOK AT HIS RECORD, PEOPLE!
Is he waiting for players from now til eternity??

Then outscored them 26-7 in the second half.  It's about execution, not play calling.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:33:43 pm
Rush attempts - 305

Pass attempts - 192

That's pretty pass happy.
most of those runs came against scrubs.  watch the game.  BA had 45 passes against Georgia.  he should never ever ever break 20

watch, we will run the ball against UAB and boost up the rushing stats. then completely abandon it come SEC, again.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:35:24 pm
most of those runs came against scrubs.  watch the game.  BA had 45 passes against Georgia.  he should never ever ever break 20

I knew you were going to say that.  We ran it 8 fewer times than we passed it.  8...  For a coaching staff that wants balance I guess that is pass happy?

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:35:01 pm
Then outscored them 26-7 in the second half.  It's about execution, not play calling.
Georgia was in prevent to protect the insane lead we gave them by passing in the 1st half.  he'd let us dink and dunk till the cows came home.  the second half means nothing.  the first half is where we lost the game.  guess chaney decided to flip the script and lose in the first half instead of the second.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:36:45 pm
I knew you were going to say that.  We ran it 8 fewer times than we passed it.  8...  For a coaching staff that wants balance I guess that is pass happy?
does it matter if you have balance in attempts when one is productive and the other is destructive?  and we should have run it at least twice as many times as we pass it.  that is who we are.  that is what we are good at.

the balance should always be 2:1 in favor of running. period end of discussion.  that is if we ever intend to win another game.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:39:22 pm
does it matter if you have balance in attempts when one is productive and the other is destructive?

3.4 per rush is productive?

ghostzapper

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:35:24 pm

watch, we will run the ball against UAB and boost up the rushing stats. then completely abandon it come SEC, again.

You seriously overestimate the ability of our offensive line at this stage of their development.  Every SEC team we played this year shut the run game down at critical junctures of the game.  And the defense we just played may be the best in the SEC.  But keep on believing that handoffs left and right are all it takes.

HogFanatic

I will know all I need to know about Bielema at the end of this season. If Chaney is still here as our offensive coordinator, Bret Bielema is not a good head coach.

Period.

IMO

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:41:02 pm
3.4 per rush is productive?
take out BA's sacks and its more like 6 ypc and if you do that, you should never have to pass.

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:41:38 pm
I will know all I need to know about Bielema at the end of this season. If Chaney is still here as our offensive coordinator, Bret Bielema is not a good head coach.

Period.

IMO

Yes because changing OC's in year two when your QB has already seen a number of OC's is recommended.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:41:45 pm
take out BA's sacks and its more like 6 ypc and if you do that, you should never have to pass.

Actually it's 5.5 which is marginal

PorkSoda

Quote from: ghostzapper on October 21, 2014, 09:41:12 pm
You seriously overestimate the ability of our offensive line at this stage of their development.  Every SEC team we played this year shut the run game down at critical junctures of the game.  And the defense we just played may be the best in the SEC.  But keep on believing that handoffs left and right are all it takes.
the run game can be just as dynamic as the passing game.

there is no reason to run the same play over and over again.  but chaney never gives the run game a chance.  that much is obvious. 

but yeah our passing numbers are so great we really need to build our offense around BA.  screw Jwill and Collins.  they are scrubs compared to the pure athletic ability of BA.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:41:45 pm

Remember we only count the plays we want to count when we make our argument. Don't count the sacks or the fact that sacks change the down and distance. That messes things up.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:44:02 pm
Actually it's 5.5 which is marginal

*3 = 16.5 yards every 3 downs. ie first down arkansas.  you just made my point for me.

HF#1

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 21, 2014, 09:44:10 pm
Remember we only count the plays we want to count when we make our argument. Don't count the sacks or the fact that sacks change the down and distance. That messes things up.

Again, let the real coach tell you what happened.  Turnovers and not executing were the problem.

HogFanatic

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:42:54 pm
Yes because changing OC's in year two when your QB has already seen a number of OC's is recommended.

He has never been good at the collegiate level.
Look at his record.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:44:55 pm
*3 = 16.5 yards every 3 downs. ie first down arkansas.  you just made my point for me.

It's smart to assume we would get that EVERY carry

HF#1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 09:50:46 pm
He has never been good at the collegiate level.
Look at his record.

Change for the sake of change.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 09:53:46 pm
It's smart to assume we would get that EVERY carry
no but, more often than not.  you only need 3.5 yards a play to get a first down and I believe in our running backs and our line.  Chaney obviously doesnt.

I'm fine with BA throwing 15-20 times a game just to keep the defense honest.  I am not fine with him throwing every freaking down despite his complete lack of play making ability.

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 09:55:54 pm
no but, more often than not.  you only need 3.5 yards a play to get a first down and I believe in our running backs and our line.  Chaney obviously doesnt.

I'm fine with BA throwing 15-20 times a game just to keep the defense honest.  I am not fine with him throwing every freaking down despite his complete lack of play making ability.

He's completing passes close to 60% at 7 yards per completion. 

I doubt you would be fine with anything but that's just me. 

Jamie Jones

It's hard to get into a rhythm when we abandon the run. The toss was in his face and it appeared to me that he was looking into the sun. Not making excuses, but that's how it looked to me. I hate that toss, straight back, 5-7 yards deep. If that is where they want AC and JW to start with the ball, they should take out the middle man and direct snap it to them. It would eliminate the potential for a fumble. Or they could line up and run between the tackles like they have done, consistently, in the wins this season. Sometimes the play calling just makes no sense to me. Stick with the run. Eventually the defense is going to wear down and they should be able to take advantage on the LOS.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 21, 2014, 08:01:59 pm
It looked like Collins was going for a handoff when the ball got tossed too him.  A mixup that we will never know whose to blame. 

That is what it looked like.  Everyone was sweep left except for AC and BA lost control of the toss trying to stop the pitch.  Not speaking the same dialect of Hoganese.

I expect you are right AC will get heavy carries this week.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 21, 2014, 07:40:35 pm

its a toss that's supposed to be catchable.  It went through his hands and then into his facemask. AC has to make that catch.  The toss is supposed to be between the head and the numbers for optimal sight and ability to look into the hands.  AC was busy looking at the LOS.

Agree with above.  When it goes thru your hands & hits your facemask, it is catchable.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Doug

I am weighing out whether I'm going to hand out several 30 day bans or not for a number of people that turned this thread into a personal attack on each other.

Will decide this in the AM. Fair warning, if I issue one ban, several bans will be issued.

The rest of you need to smarten up and stop turning this into your own personal flame bait troll board.

Getting really tired of this garbage.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Lanny

Quote from: Doug on October 21, 2014, 11:27:15 pm
I am weighing out whether I'm going to hand out several 30 day bans or not for a number of people that turned this thread into a personal attack on each other.

Will decide this in the AM. Fair warning, if I issue one ban, several bans will be issued.

The rest of you need to smarten up and stop turning this into your own personal flame bait troll board.

Getting really tired of this garbage.
ban
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy