Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The problem is more complex than simple.....(long)

Started by Tusks, October 21, 2014, 01:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

Man, it is not for the faint of heart to be a hog fan now days.  The thing is the hogs are facing two problems right now.  First, is a school setting a SEC losing streak.  Simple to explain, the hogs have X SEC games in a row.  The second problem is a little more complicated and not as easy to appreciate IMHO.

For the hogs to break their losing streak they need to beat a top 10 team.  Not always the easiest thing for the program to do.  Think back over the years of hog teams.  Think of the great teams the hogs have put no the field.  Mine starts with the 69 team, then the 70, 75, 77, 78, 79, 82, 88, 89 etc. etc. 

These are teams that could possibly compete with and be rated in the top 10.  They didn't or don't come around every year.  Hog teams build to a top 10 run and then will suffer some 'down' period for a bit and then make another  run.

For the hogs to break their current SEC losing streak they will need to be in top 10 form, something that comes around every few years not every year.

No matter if you like the coach or not you can't deny the need of the level of play the hogs need to reach in today's SECW world. The perfect storm has hit where the hogs are down but just to win a SEC game the hogs need to be one of those teams you think of over time as one of the programs top tier or better teams.

I'm amazed at how some will belittle the accomplishments of evil knievel BP for never beating Bama or winning the SECW, never mind he had the hogs #3 in the COUNTRY but he was #3 in the SECW.  He had a team finish #5 but was still 3rd in the SECW.  I think that's pretty damn good but many just point to no SECC.  But the man had the hogs #3 in the COUNTRY!

So it depends on ones way of thinking to whether BB has the fan support he needs.  If all you care about is the end result or the 'getting there' then this is not a good time to be a fan.  If however you think it terms of the 'journey' and how you get there, then you can see the bigger picture and understand he needs time to get there.

As one fellow SEC coach said, and it was a coach that goes back to when "I" joined the SEC, BB is going to have to recruit his way out of this.  The coach that said this is the type that has earned being listened to.  He won in the SEC at a rate only behind the 'Bear' and knows what he's talking about.

BB is recruiting at a better rate than has been recruited to the hill in a long long time and probably the best in modern times.  I'd say let him get his classes in and when it's all his guys, then by all means pound away when he doesn't win.  In the mean time being a hog fan is going to be tough sledding and not for the faint of heart.

I say give him some time.  Sometimes the journey is as important as 'getting there'.

Just one posters HO to tough times on the 'hill'.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

nchogg

DeltaBoy

Yep Jeff LONG is the root of the Problem.  It time to cut his salary till the Hogs win an SEC football game.  Each Lose = a 10,000 dollar hit on his pay check.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

holman24

Next verse same as the first wait till next year we will be better????????

HogAlum99

Quote from: holman24 on October 21, 2014, 03:29:03 pm

Uhhhhh, when you are having to rebuild a program that was totally decimated in 2012, your statement is right on the money!

wupigsuey

Before the season many people said we could be much better but still not show up in the win column. Welcome to that reality.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

wupigsuey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 21, 2014, 03:27:01 pm
Yep Jeff LONG is the root of the Problem.  It time to cut his salary till the Hogs win an SEC football game.  Each Lose = a 10,000 dollar hit on his pay check.

Jeff Long is causing us to lose football games? He should be benched  >:(
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Mike_e

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 21, 2014, 03:50:24 pm
Jeff Long is causing us to lose football games? He should be benched  >:(

Yeah, that kid fumbled the ball 4 times against georgia alone then let their back run up the middle for a couple of long gains.

Yank his scholarship i say.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

sowmonella

Quote from: holman24 on October 21, 2014, 03:29:03 pm

That is always your verse.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

S.A.D.C

You obviously have not read enough Hogville. 

The problem is simple!  The problem is:  (enter Jeff Long/CBB/Jim Chaney/Brandon Allen).

Only time will tell.  In the meantime, pick your side and fight, bicker, whine and cry.

Ironhawg

Quote from: 12247 on October 21, 2014, 05:27:56 pm
Only time will tell.  In the meantime, pick your side and fight, bicker, whine and cry.

This sums up the current situation in MMQB very succinctly.   

Poker_hog

Quote from: tusked on October 21, 2014, 01:40:31 pm

For the hogs to break their current SEC losing streak they will need to be in top 10 form, something that comes around every few years not every year.

No matter if you like the coach or not you can't deny the need of the level of play the hogs need to reach in today's SECW world. The perfect storm has hit where the hogs are down but just to win a SEC game the hogs need to be one of those teams you think of over time as one of the programs top tier or better teams.

This is simply not true.  A&M is not a top 10 team.  Neither is Lsu or Missouri.  And Alabama played flat for 3 quarters. 

There have been several games over the streak were we have been less than a td underdog.  Losses and excuses for losses are getting old.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 21, 2014, 05:34:32 pm
This is simply not true.  A&M is not a top 10 team.  Neither is Lsu or Missouri.  And Alabama played flat for 3 quarters. 

There have been several games over the streak were we have been less than a td underdog.  Losses and excuses for losses are getting old.
They're not a top ten team at the moment. They were when we played them.

That's like saying the 2006 game against Tennessee wasn't a big game because Tennessee wasn't a top 15 team.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hoglady

+1 - for not bashing Beliema or Petrino.
Not many of those posts around anymore.
I think most of the fan base recognizes the improvement in the team and is being patient with Beliema. But they still appreciate everything Petrino accomplished here. It doesn't have to be an either/or.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

The hogs 8 conference games will be against 7 teams ranked at one time in the top 10 and 1 ranked in the top 25.  Coaches say they can get their team 'up' to play over their heads 3 times a year.  The rest of the time you're playing on talent.  Which 3 of the 8 do you get 'up' for because the rest of the time you're playing 4 teams in the top 25 at least.  The best way to win those games is to have more talent or a top 10 team.  Hell if the hogs got up and won 3 games against the top 10 they are still losing 3 games to the top 10 and then taking their chances in the other 2 against top 25 competition.

To win now days the hogs have to be one of their historic top 10 level teams or its going to be a poor year.

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 21, 2014, 05:34:32 pm

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

eusebius

Quote from: tusked on October 21, 2014, 06:50:34 pm

The hogs 8 conference games will be against 7 teams ranked at one time in the top 10 and 1 ranked in the top 25.  Coaches say they can get their team 'up' to play over their heads 3 times a year.  The rest of the time you're playing on talent.  Which 3 of the 8 do you get 'up' for because the rest of the time you're playing 4 teams in the top 25 at least.  The best way to win those games is to have more talent or a top 10 team.  Hell if the hogs got up and won 3 games against the top 10 they are still losing 3 games to the top 10 and then taking their chances in the other 2 against top 25 competition.       
To win now days the hogs have to be one of their historic top 10 level teams or its going to be a poor year.

It's well established that the SEC is at a historic level this year and that Arkansas' schedule is one of the most difficult in the country. But I think this year is going to become the norm and not the exception as long as conferences are set up like they are. I don't anticipate the schedule being easier next year or the year after, or the year after that. None of the SEC teams are going to stop being competitive and the teams that are having off years will swing back up. Our competition will continually bring in top recruiting classes. Currently we are 6th in the SEC West at 22. 22 is not a bad number, but when you consider that is next to last in our division, that should be an indicator of what we are up against. Its going to be tough every year.

These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

Augustus

It's funny...

"Jeff Long is the problem!" ..."Jeff Long is the problem!"

Yet, during that "21-5!!!" stretch I see so highly touted on here, who was it that extended the contract of the so beloved Bobby P? And, also negotiated multi-million dollars worth of facilities upgrades?

Oh... yeah, that's right... "The Problem"

Pulled(PP)pork

Easy on Delta, he's just doing the best he can down in Texas on his teachers salary

Under appreciated

PP

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: tusked on October 21, 2014, 06:50:34 pm

I'm counting...Bama is one.

Even though our second half looked better vs Georgia, our first half was so dismal, I can't count this one.

I'm not counting Texas Aggies either, but I could. I just think they're too streaky, they're just not solid. South Carolina was a lonnnng time ago. We had that game.

So, the 2 Mississippis, Mizzou and LSU are left. Which 2 are going to get the magic?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

JoeyCapital

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

bigbadhog

Three short years ago, we were ranked as high as 3rd.  The fall is historical and Jeff long has to be held accountable for this disgrace...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

RazorbackRon

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 21, 2014, 10:13:04 pm
Three short years ago, we were ranked as high as 3rd.  The fall is historical and Jeff long has to be held accountable for this disgrace...

so where does BP rank in your level of accountability here ?
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

TXArcher

Beaverfever

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 21, 2014, 05:43:23 pm
They're not a top ten team at the moment. They were when we played them.
I generally agree with this line of thinking but not with A&M.  We are a better team than them now and we were a better team than them then and should won.  It's the one game we really needed to win.  Bama and Georgia would have been nice but they were better teams than us.