Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: Has this team Improved?

Started by The_Iceman, October 21, 2014, 09:40:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Have the Razorbacks shown improvement from 2013 to 2014?

Yes.
405 (91.4%)
No.
38 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 440

The_Iceman

With all the yelling and screaming, I thought we should simplify the discussion here.

Explain your answer.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 09:40:55 am
With all the yelling and screaming, I thought we should simplify the discussion here.

Explain your answer.

I am sorry, sir, but anyone that says this team has not improved obviously knows nothing about the footballs.

bp

The_Iceman

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 21, 2014, 09:42:04 am
I am sorry, sir, but anyone that says this team has not improved obviously knows nothing about the footballs.

bp

Well, we have two so far.

mizzouman

Yes.

This is over simplifying things, but there are basically 2 things you look for in a program that's getting better. 

First, is the team still getting blown out?  The answer is NO.  So, this has been taken care of.

Second, does the team know how to win?  The answer is NO.  This needs to be fixed and it will.  Maybe not this year, but next. 

Once the second thing is fixed, then you'll see the Hogs in the top 25 if not the top 15.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: MalzahnFan on October 21, 2014, 09:46:13 am
0-15 / BOTTOM of the Sec. Lots of improvement. What difference does it make if you've 'improved' if you can't close out a game.

MF

What difference does it make? Really?

bp

Wildhog

Certainly.

I'm also hoping Chaney had an epiphany in the second half of the UGA game.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

0-15 / BOTTOM of the Sec. Lots of improvement. What difference does it make if you've 'improved' if you can't close out a game.

MF

LOL! Your name says it all.

texas tush hog

Explain your answer.

I am not a sunshine pumper who thinks this staff does no wrong, but we are 100% improved and are improving in many aspects of the game constantly. What most fail to realize, is that the opposition is working just as hard to beat us as we work to beat them and our improvement may not be as readily apparent because of that, but make no mistake about it, this staff is taking the steps necessary to get us to the promised land. Do I agree with every move? No, but like Lou Holtz once said "there are many right ways to do something, but only one right way at a time and right now that's my way." Just be patient, we will get there.

Idahog

Not since Alabama.  ...last week the team was hungover, the 2nd half play was good to see.  The team didn't roll over and play dead like we saw in years past.  They certainly have problems still, but we all knew that.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

The_Iceman

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 21, 2014, 09:58:56 am
What most fail to realize, is that the opposition is working just as hard to beat us as we work to beat them and our improvement may not be as readily apparent because of that, but make no mistake about it, this staff is taking the steps necessary to get us to the promised land.

An excellent point that gets lost on the narrow-minded.

GolfnHog

If those that say "no" can't see quanatative improvements then really their agenda speaks louder than their knowledge.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Piggfoot

comparing Miss St with Arkansas 2 deep offense and defense
Arkansas-- 11 freshmen   16 sophomores

MS--------- 1- RS freshman   13 sophomores
These are young players we need to give them time to develop and mature.
8 or 9 are JC transfers or walk-ons.
That is 36 players out of 44.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

texas tush hog

MF
Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 09:54:59 am
LOL! Your name says it all.

I too like Gus, and think he is a great coach but because of circumstances beyond his control, he will never be our coach. I do like the way Bielema is building this team, but the growing pains are excruciating. I am not sure Gus would ever be as successful at Arkansas as he has been and will be at Auburn. Bielema will be successful given time, and once it starts, it will be Sabanesque.

Grag T

How would anyone say we aren't improving?  We're competing neck and neck with teams that used to stomp us by 50 points.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Grag T

Quote from: Idahog on October 21, 2014, 09:59:13 am
Not since Alabama.  ...last week the team was hungover, the 2nd half play was good to see.  The team didn't roll over and play dead like we saw in years past.  They certainly have problems still, but we all knew that.

Exactly.  We beat Georgia 26-7 in the second half.  The previous couple years we would've completely given up at halftime and lost by 70 freakin' points.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hoglady

Yes we've improved a lot - more than I thought we could

The most disappointing thing is the lack of discipline and horrible special teams play. If not for that, you would actually be seeing the improvement in the W/L column - and there wouldn't be a need for this question.
It's a shame the small things that have cost us wins this year - stupid penalties and very bad special teams.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogcard1964

October 21, 2014, 10:29:33 am #16 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:54:29 am by hogcard1964
Too early to determine.

Ask after January 3rd.

DoctorSusscrofa

MF

So you'd prefer last year's Alabama game to this year's, because it makes no difference? And you'd prefer last year's record vs the non-conference opponents because the Texas Tech game just doesn't seem better to you than the Rutgers game?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

MalzahnFan

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 21, 2014, 10:33:55 am
So you'd prefer last year's Alabama game to this year's, because it makes no difference? And you'd prefer last year's record vs the non-conference opponents because the Texas Tech game just doesn't seem better to you than the Rutgers game?

Absolutely makes no difference to me. Just like blowing out Nichols state doesn't matter to me when we can't win an SEC game. If it makes you feel better to be competitive and lose every game that's a Vanderbilt approach. This is Arkansas.

chuggs33

I know that the W's haven't showed up in the SEC yet, but we beat the snot out of two teams that last year would have given us a run for our money.  We have improved, and I say we get at least two SEC wins by year's end.

Dirty

MF

Your name says it all!

Dirty

bphi11ips

Improved drastically in areas. 

Most of the screaming I hear is at anyone daring to question improvement. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogfan1660

Yes we have improved! Anyone should be able to see that!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: MalzahnFan on October 21, 2014, 10:42:46 am
Absolutely makes no difference to me. Just like blowing out Nichols state doesn't matter to me when we can't win an SEC game. If it makes you feel better to be competitive and lose every game that's a Vanderbilt approach. This is Arkansas.

I like competitive better than not competitive. For two reasons: having trouble with non-power conference teams makes the entire season unpleasant; and getting competitive is necessary if we are going to do more than be competitive.

I like becoming competitive.  I'd rather be happy we are competitive than distraught and feeling negative about the team I choose to support. Finding every flaw and claiming the sky is falling gets old. I'd rather believe that playing with Bama to the last minute was better than playing with them till the middle of the first quarter.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yes, no way last year's team even hangs with Alabama and TAMU at this point in time last year.  They would also have given up in the GA game and gotten smoked by 50.  Yes the game was not as close as the score indicated and I was pissed out of my mind in that first half.  But no way last year's team comes back to make it respectable. 

They had a bad quarter of football.  Ok they had a terrible quarter of football, about the worst you could imagine, but they went in at half, coaches said some things and did some things and they showed they weren't going to quit and that GA was going to have to play 4 quarters.

Put the UAB game in LR after the Bama game and then play GA in Fayetteville the following week and we could be having a totally different discussion right now.

Regardless, the D is light year's ahead of where they were last year, Offense is better but still too predictable and I'm not sold on Chaney.

Special Teams is the one area that looks like a noticeable decline from last year.  And when have the offense we have and the talent gap, games can be won and lost on ST alone.  The obvious loss is Hocker but who thought the drop off would be so dramatic.  Also Hill started the season lights out but there has been a definite decrease in productivity there the last few games. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

VirginiaHog

hogcard1964

Wins

That's all that matters.

Incomplete

The_Iceman

Quote from: MalzahnFan on October 21, 2014, 10:42:46 am

So you aren't happy with the results, which is fine. But the question was has this team improved. Even though it isn't showing up in the win column, its hard to argue this team hasn't improved.

When you play a schedule that consists of the #1, #3, #4, #5, #9, #24 teams in the country, with two other conference teams at one time being in the Top 15 themselves, its going to be hard to get a win in year two of a complete rebuilding process.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 21, 2014, 11:00:37 am
Put the UAB game in LR after the Bama game and then play GA in Fayetteville the following week and we could be having a totally different discussion right now.

Couldn't agree more with this.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 11:04:36 am
Couldn't agree more with this.

Switching dates would have more affect than switching sites. Regardless of where we played, getting a break with UAB before GA would have been nothing short of a Godsend.

gmarv

we are improved and if you can,t see it its because you don,t want to.
as bad as the loses hurt, you have to learn to play with the big boys
before you can win against them.we are so close that's what makes it hard is
we all see how we could of very easily of won the bama game and the aggie game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 21, 2014, 11:12:52 am
Switching dates would have more affect than switching sites. Regardless of where we played, getting a break with UAB before GA would have been nothing short of a Godsend.

I think an extra 17,000+ fans at our HOME stadium could have helped us against Georgia, instead of playing 3 hours away in a run down stadium with 17,000 less fans there.

Dirty

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 11:36:15 am
I think an extra 17,000+ fans at our HOME stadium could have helped us against Georgia, instead of playing 3 hours away in a run down stadium with 17,000 less fans there.

Give it a break!  You probably dream of this debate!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I don't think it's the number of fans or how loud they are.  It's playing where you practice, where you live, sleep and eat everyday.  It's rote, it's routine, it's familiarity with your surroundings,  it's a comfort level, it's playing where you manhandled Nicholl's State, NIU and for most of the game Alabama.  It's not having to travel X hours to play a "home" game.  It's the stadium clock working.  It's knowing exactly where you locker is, where the equipment is, where everything is.  These are the little things that individually may not make much of a difference but taken as a collective whole can make the difference.  When you don't have to worry about the little things your mind can focus on one thing the task at hand.  Training and practicing have a lot to do with muscle memory,  this is the same concept when you can just carry on with the exact same routine as your other "home" games your focus will be better, and most likely your performance will be better.  If you doubt that you are stupid or just care about getting drunk and getting into fights.

Playing an FCS team or even a UAB in that environment and it most likely does not effect the final outcome of a W because the talent gap will overcome the mental disadvantage of playing away from Fayetteville, but when your margin of error is razor thin it makes all the difference in the world and playing conference games at WMS does not put the team in the best position to win those games.   

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

Explain your answer.

YES everywhere but the record and scoreboard.  They play hard and don't quit but still make too many boneheaded plays to get beat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 21, 2014, 03:07:32 pm
YES everywhere but the record and scoreboard.  They play hard and don't quit but still make too many boneheaded plays to get beat.

For the record, the scoreboard has shown improvement, just not the wins and losses.

bp

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 21, 2014, 03:08:26 pm
For the record, the scoreboard has shown improvement, just not the wins and losses.

bp

Your correct Bama beat us by a point this time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cbhawg03

Yes, but.......WE WANT TO WIN!!!!

Would like to know if BA is changing up the snap count? I think not, Georgia was getting after him very quickly.

BA does not go through his progressions very well, has taken a shot here and there when he has had someone running wide open, at least on two occassions that hurt us, Bama and Georgia game. We have some good, young receivers, but we need more help.

Extra points: We don't seem to really put out the effort to maintain and make blocks, which has led to the blocks and we don't really go after a block on a extra point like other teams, see Bama and Georgia game.

Penalties have not been a concern for the most part, and I don't see it changing.

The Georgia game was a direct result of the Alabama game, well the 2nd quarter. You pour all that emotion into the Bama game and then lose, well something like what happens in the 2nd quarter of the Georgia game happens as a result. CBB was crying after the Bama game, what do you think the players felt like after CBP's crap, Smiley and last year? They had a let down, responded very well though in the 2nd half.

Everyone is tired of the losing, people are looking for a scapegoat, which is turning to CJC or CBB or BA. We all just want and need a win against someone in the SEC

wupigsuey

Haha. Yeah, if there were 100k in the stands we woulda blown them out. sweet mother of gawd.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Dropkick

You 17 should stand up and be counted! (ridiculed)

WarPig88

I voted yes. I like the D for the most part much better.

The offense has improved but the truth is that the passing game is still BAD and any improvement attributed to it may simply be that BA isn't hurt this year.

The reason that I harp on the passing so much is not because of yardage, but our passing efficiency in relation to our division foes is woeful to say the least.

Bama is 4th, Miss St is 6th, Ole Miss is 10th, Aub is 14th, A&M is 20th, and even LSU is 36th and they can't pass.

We are 51st in the nation in passing efficiency and like many of you have pointed out, the schedule doesn't get easier as we move along.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on October 21, 2014, 09:49:45 am
Certainly.

I'm also hoping Chaney had an epiphany in the second half of the UGA game.
sure he did, he had the epiphany that we need to pass more.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 21, 2014, 03:52:16 pm
We are 51st in the nation in passing efficiency and like many of you have pointed out, the schedule doesn't get easier as we move along.
we obviously need to pass more.  maybe BA can throw 80 passes next game.  that should improve his efficiency rating.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Joshua Michael Irwin

No doubt there has been improvement. The timing of the rest of the league, and strength of schedule have just done a lot to negate the progress.

When the entire division of your conference is top 10, that makes rebuilding a team even more difficult. Arkansas has been incredibly competitive, but the SEC is just supercharged this year, and one point loss is still a loss, so the record looks the same.

I tend to think this would have been an 8-9 win team in some years past.

Hoggish1

OK, done.  Now all the trolls can run along...

PorkSoda

Quote from: Joshua Michael Irwin on October 21, 2014, 04:15:25 pm
No doubt there has been improvement. The timing of the rest of the league, and strength of schedule have just done a lot to negate the progress.

When the entire division of your conference is top 10, that makes rebuilding a team even more difficult. Arkansas has been incredibly competitive, but the SEC is just supercharged this year, and one point loss is still a loss, so the record looks the same.

I tend to think this would have been an 8-9 win team in some years past.
QFT.  BB just needs to hold the team together and keep them working hard to improve and the wins will come.

The_Bionic_Pig

This shouldn't even be a debate but I see 20+ people honestly believe that this year's team wouldn't smoke the 2011 & 2012 teams by 2-3 TD's...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pig Tymer

Explain your answer.

Yes, we've improved but that was a given going into the year. Last year, we lost to Rutgers and gave up 104 points in back-to-back weeks while going 3-9. The bar couldn't have been set any lower.

The question is are we satisfied with the level of improvement. If we could have pulled off either the A&M or Alabama games, 80% of the fanbase would have said "yes." But all we have are moral victories to judge and we're coming off of a game that feels like we took a step back.

At this point in the season, I'm not overly thrilled with the improvement but I am encouraged. Assuming we get at least 1 conference win this year, I'll stay on board with Bielema being the long term answer.

For me, it still comes back to how high is his ceiling. I see him being able to get us to a 8-4 level; maybe 9-3 every so often. Recently we had back-to-back 10-2 seasons with legitimate NC expectations. Whether it's fair or not, this raised the bar for where the ceiling for the football program should be. Hopefully, I'm underestimating Bielema and he can get us back to this level.