Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scoring O and D 2013 vs 2014

Started by Hogopotamus, October 21, 2014, 09:31:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogopotamus

I have been one of the people amazed with the progress with the team thus far, I picked us to be 3-4 at this point (though I was shaky on TTech) but did not think we would have had two close SEC games at this point. To me, the progress is obvious and encouraging. The self-inflicted mistakes that cost us 2 or 3 (arguable) of the last 3 games sucked, but again I didn't think we would be in position to win those games anyways.

In order to put some hard numbers behind our progress, I looked at our points per games both offensively and (given up) defensively for ONLY SEC GAMES. I also looked at the average rankings of our opponents to put it in perspective.

2013:
16.9 offense
37.9 given up

2014:
23.5 offense
34.8 given up

Offense: Our offensive production has increased by 40%. Our opponents average Scoring D ranking last year was 27th. This year, our opponents have averaged 26th in Scoring D, so the level of D we have faced has been about the same, so that very significant increase in production is not an anomaly, it translates to true improvement in our offense.

Defense: This one appears to be discouraging. We are still giving up 92% of the points per game as last year. However, so far this year we have faced an average of 16th ranked scoring offenses. Meanwhile, last year the average scoring offense we played was only 40th in the rankings. So while 92% seems like a lateral move, the strength of the offenses we have faced so far this year has been almost comically good. And yet we were still able to slow them down somewhat compared to last year.

So overall, statistically we have improved significantly on both sides of the ball this year. I know we all want wins, I am pretty sure I had an entire beer on the frontside of my shirt watching the Georgia game in the first half, but the increased competitiveness on both sides of the ball has been awesome. And looking at A&M and Alabama, our offense and defense played well enough to win those games, it was stupid little mistakes that cost us in the end, not the overall  scheme or team playing. A fumble through the end zone, a pointless trip, a questionable holding call, a running back not catching a pitch, etc. These are all symptoms of a young, inexperienced team and I just hope the coaches can get them to clean it up just enough to beat LSU and Mizzou (and keep the Miss. schools from embarrassing us). 

RazorPiggie

HOGINTENNESSEE

The ppg would look better if we could make a FG and KW hadn't fumbled at the 1 inch line

On defense we are also getting a lot more Turnoevers which is a stat that can never go overlooked

Hoggles

We've played the toughest portion of our schedule too, so we should expect both numbers to improve by the end of the year.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggles on October 21, 2014, 02:17:32 pm
We've played the toughest portion of our schedule too, so we should expect both numbers to improve by the end of the year.

????? old misses and msu are ranked in the top 5, LSu is 24th, and they still have to go to ,izzu too. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggles

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 02:20:26 pm
????? old misses and msu are ranked in the top 5, LSu is 24th, and they still have to go to ,izzu too.

I'd rather play Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU (young and will be good next year), and Mizzou (lost to Georgia and Indiana) than Auburn, TAMU, Alabama, and Georgia. But yeah, looking at it now, I overstated my position a bit.

ARtillahog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 02:20:26 pm

I still think ppl are having a hard time believing OM and Ms St are as good as their rankings.  That may be a reason for the above comment.

Atlhogfan1

Did you take out defensive scores by our opponents?

AU scored on:
TD Int return
FG off of a 13 yard drive
TD off of an 8 yard drive

TT
TD 31 yard drive

A&M
TD 49 yard drive
TD 25 yards in OT

Bama
TD 23 yard drive

UGa
TD 7 yard drive
TD fumble return
TD 43 yard drive

66 points on drives of less than 50 yards

31 points from defensive scores or drives of 13 yards or less

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogopotamus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2014, 02:25:06 pm

AU scored on:
TD Int return

TT
TD 31 yard drive

A&M
TD 49 yard drive
TD 25 yards in OT

Bama
TD 23 yard drive

UGa
TD 7 yard drive
TD fumble return
TD 43 yard drive

I did not and that is a good point. Would have to go through last year as well. Even without considering that, our defense has improved statistically, with it they have improved significantly. The point of the post was to show there is progress, and I for one am excited about the rest of the year. And, to quote the mantra of the Arkansas fan, "We will be better next year!"

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

KCHOGFAN

Nice post.  We are better that much is clear.  Just need to figure out how to win. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogopotamus on October 21, 2014, 02:43:40 pm
I did not and that is a good point. Would have to go through last year as well. Even without considering that, our defense has improved statistically, with it they have improved significantly. The point of the post was to show there is progress, and I for one am excited about the rest of the year. And, to quote the mantra of the Arkansas fan, "We will be better next year!"

I think the defense is doing a much better job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2014, 02:25:06 pm

AU scored on:
TD Int return

TT
TD 31 yard drive

A&M
TD 49 yard drive
TD 25 yards in OT

Bama
TD 23 yard drive

UGa
TD 7 yard drive
TD fumble return
TD 43 yard drive

I guess you brought the wood.

naturalbornpigger

Good post Hogopotamus.  The data clearly supports that the program is improving.  Aside from the first half implosion against GA, the defense has been a pleasant surprise to me.  Of course, the depth of last years problems make improvement easy - but against Alabama we looked like a really good defense.  All in all, I think we are pretty solid - just have to clean up the costly mistakes.  And we will.  I appreciate your well informed analysis and post.  Good perspective.

Pig Worshipper

Very nice post. I'd love to see someone do a similar comparison of our special team play from this year as opposed to last year. It's my assumption that this would show a terrible decline. Overall, we are definitely better but our horrendous special teams play hasn't allowed us to change much in the win-loss category.

Atlhogfan1