Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive problems are a perfect storm of mediocrity...

Started by MrKlem10, October 21, 2014, 09:24:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKlem10

Might as well share the blame:

1.  Play action makes BA have his back to the defense.   One opposing coordinators get a feel for our play calling,  they either roll coverages or blitz from the back side.   

2.  Our tackles are road plows,  not pass blockers.   

3.  On number two,  when Arkansas goes to the gun,  check base,  widen out the ends to speed rush,  rush four and drop seven.   Passing game done.

4.  Either our WR can't get separation,  or BA dont throw them the ball out of the break.   He isn't very good at throwing our WR's open either. 

5.  One negative yard play puts us into the predictable pass game of ours.

6.  Playbook isn't creative in the passing game.  Also a straight drop and a two-man read route with a back for a check down would be nice.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I disagree with the passing game not being creative. The route concepts were getting WR open BA just wasn't hitting them till the 4 Qt.

As Andre Ware Continued to point out how open Hatcher was wide open on about 3 different routes

Hog10S

I have just a couple of things to say about our passing game.  First, BA still seems to turn toward the receiver he wants to throw to right off the snap, which makes things tough and is why he seems to continually miss other receivers that are wide open.  You can't stare down your receiver in this league.  Second, did anyone else watch the video done to pump you up for the game in "The Rock".  It showed past LR games when we had Mallett and Wilson as the QB.  If you watch that and then watch BA play, there are so many miles difference in their play and BA's no one in their right mind could argue.  The most striking difference, beside the basic quick release and speed of the ball, even on shorter routes, was our previous 2 QB's ability to spin the ball 30-50 yards down field on a rope and their accuracy.  BA has neither the accuracy nor the arm strength to get the ball very far down field without a fairly high arch in his trajectory. 

It is really a night and day difference.  I watched the video immediately before the game and pulled it up again after to look and compared it to what I saw.  It was like the pros versus Junior High.  Didn't even look like the same position.  BA may be able to throw a career high 299 yards on 50 short passes (I would love to see a list of the number of passes that he has thrown this year that were caught more than 25 yards down field, excluding any run after the catch), but until he shows the ability, and accuracy, to be a deep threat, our passing game will continue to hurt our running game against decent teams.

DoctorSusscrofa

Our WRs don't get great separation, but BA has also missed some.  We're only low/average in the passing game and we need to be high/average or better.

As to BA not seeing wide open WRs, we need to remember wide open on one end isn't necessarily wide open on the other end of the pass.  Even if a WR gets open the QB needs a passing lane to get it there.  Watching from the stands and press box is different than watching the WRs from the pocket.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DeltaBoy

BA got Tunnel vison and never sees the OPEN WR or he over or under throws them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

311Hog

I just wonder why we have not thrown a swing pass or a screen.  I am serious have we called one of those 2 plays once this year?

The way they were blitzing last game a screen, draw or dump off to a back is what i was expecting to see that never came.

bballjws2004

I agree, we all love skipper in the run game, but he has to mature as a pass blocker.  He got beat time and time again last week.