Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting a kick out of all those "breaking down film"

Started by hogsanity, October 21, 2014, 08:49:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Wild Boarnado on October 21, 2014, 01:10:33 pm
Question for the coaches here: Is it possible to break down a game by reviewing a TV broadcast replay? Their cameras usually follow the ball or from some angle that doesn't allow us to see where all the players are. Coaches have their own game films where they can see the entire field of play from above - something that I figure we fans don't have access to. 

Quote from: Otto Von Pigsmark on October 21, 2014, 01:13:25 pm
Not properly......To properly breakdown film a coach needs to see all 11 players every snap. There are certain formations and alignments that are critical to adjust to. If you watch the television version every down you may miss some of the formations or blocking schemes

This is it in a nutshell.  You miss much by just following the ball or a particular player. 

Otto, I hope you are having a good season and may your opponents go 0-11 in a ten game schedule.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hogsenburg

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on October 21, 2014, 01:26:03 pm
This is it in a nutshell.  You miss much by just following the ball or a particular player. 

Otto, I hope you are having a good season and may your opponents go 0-11 in a ten game schedule.

Thank you. Hope that is true as well

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LRHawg

Quote from: LSUFan on October 21, 2014, 09:07:43 am
I break down films, adult films, although I usually only get to the 3 or 4 minute mark, most times.

Haha, well played.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: LSUFan on October 21, 2014, 09:07:43 am
I break down films, adult films, although I usually only get to the 3 or 4 minute mark, most times.

Poor time management seems to be an LSU trademark huh? :)

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: twistitup on October 21, 2014, 01:29:16 pm
In before faychill defends his pastime...

Let him not see this post, Its pretty cool that he does it because he usually has some very insightful posts about Xs and Os

Oklahawg

For most, I suspect that "breaking down film" is the equivalent of carrying a scorebook to a baseball game and keeping score.

The average baseball scorebook keeper can't track the pitch type or location, and doesn't track shifts, situation variables, etc. They might be lucky to indicate where the ball was hit for the play. I suspect the same is true of most football fans "watching film".
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 21, 2014, 02:42:57 pm
For most, I suspect that "breaking down film" is the equivalent of carrying a scorebook to a baseball game and keeping score.

The average baseball scorebook keeper can't track the pitch type or location, and doesn't track shifts, situation variables, etc. They might be lucky to indicate where the ball was hit for the play. I suspect the same is true of most football fans "watching film".

I will take "Obvious" for $500, Alex.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on October 21, 2014, 10:51:06 am
For Otto, TTH and Delta,

When I was  in the school business before I went to law school it was my honor and privilege to chart and watch game film.  Now that I am an attorney I have no friends.

Charting the games and watching film is good relaxation.

My wife has occasionally suggested I get a life.

It is a nice way to relax any evening while the wife watch's some Hallmark movie.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

S.A.D.C

Well I just emerged from 3 days in the basement where I broke down the Georgia game by watching it 24 hours straight.  I have graded out every player on offense defense and special teams.  I have a full report with new defensive scheme ideas based on my assessment of our current talent (whom I has never seen or met in person but I watched the games!).  I also have some new play ideas that Chaney absoputely molust install based on my assessment of his play calling and our talent at every position (you don't need to watch practices to draw this stuff up!)

But- since the OP was so cruel I will not be sharing on Hogville. Your loss. 

Does anyone have the fax number to the football office?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 08:49:55 am
I have either heard probably a dozen people here or on the call in shows about how they have gone back and broken down the film of each game.  Really?  First, how do you have that much time to waste?  A REAL coach might spend hours breaking down one game, yet these guys have the time to do 7?  Second, to what end are you doing this?  Third, WHY are you doing this?  And finally, if you have the time and the expertise to do this, and I say this with all seriousness, why are you not getting paid to coach at some level?

Look, I am a fan, if I wasn't I would not be on a message board at 8:45am, but people there is a lot more to life. Is it really so important that you have to spend time re watching games, to analyze what happened?  Maybe as I get older I just do not care as much (although I don't think I have ever re-watched one game unless it was on a replay on ESPN classic or something I might watch the end of a particular game), I am not getting paid to break down tape or analyze the team, I am not sending in play suggestions to the school, and thank goodness they would not take my suggestions if I did.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 21, 2014, 02:59:29 pm
It is a nice way to relax any evening while the wife watch's some Hallmark movie.

Hammer and nail meet in perfect harmony.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on October 21, 2014, 03:09:13 pm
Hammer and nail meet in perfect harmony.

Too bad we don't have those classic 8mm game films anymore.  I loved that frame by frame action.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

if your not a coach and breaking film down like a coach, what is your other job? 

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 09:12:18 am
I am not talking about watching one or two plays, with dvrs we all do that. I am talking about the guys claiming to break down the games. Heard a caller this morning, said he had just spent the last few days re watching and breaking down the 1st seven games. That is a lot different than hitting rewind and watching a play again to see if a pass was tipped, or a pitch or hand off looked to be bad.
Nobody's technically breaking down any film unless they are a grunt GA on the staff.  These multi-million dollar coaches don't have time for that crap and the average fan wouldn't know what the hell they were doing or why they were doing it. 

That's just some caller that put himself through the agony of watching our last 7 games again. :puke:
RazorTusk!!!!

showme

I have either heard probably a dozen people here or on the call in shows about how they have gone back and broken down the film of each game.  Really?  First, how do you have that much time to waste?  A REAL coach might spend hours breaking down one game, yet these guys have the time to do 7?  Second, to what end are you doing this?  Third, WHY are you doing this?  And finally, if you have the time and the expertise to do this, and I say this with all seriousness, why are you not getting paid to coach at some level?

Look, I am a fan, if I wasn't I would not be on a message board at 8:45am, but people there is a lot more to life. Is it really so important that you have to spend time re watching games, to analyze what happened?  Maybe as I get older I just do not care as much (although I don't think I have ever re-watched one game unless it was on a replay on ESPN classic or something I might watch the end of a particular game), I am not getting paid to break down tape or analyze the team, I am not sending in play suggestions to the school, and thank goodness they would not take my suggestions if I did.
wow. so judgmental. why do you care so much what someone does with their spare time ? here we have another winner that thinks the whole world is stupid unless they do what HE thinks they should be doing in their spare time. I don't personally "break down" game film but if someone else likes to do it, more power to them. Different strokes for different folks.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Maybe it's just something they really like to do. No big deal. Some of us like to go spend hours and even days in the woods to scout and hunt when we could just go to the market.  Not the same?

thirrdegreetusker

....is sometimes I get a bad case of aluminum poisoning while watching the game, and do not remember much the next day.

Rzbakfromwaybak

October 21, 2014, 05:29:19 pm #68 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:52:05 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: PorkRinds on October 21, 2014, 08:53:55 am

Anyone that says they've been breaking down film is either lying or a complete loser, unless they get paid to do so.

Lol....yep.  Hogville experts now breaking down film & doing all the evaluation.  Guess
they're just trying to save the coaches valuable time.   After the experts get thru with the film breakdowns, they can go on the recruiting trail for the coaches.  Heck, after a season or two of this, the coaching staff could be reduced by 50%.  Instead of Graduate Assistants....there may be "Hogville Assistants".... ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  15 minutes ago
From y'day: #LSU Film Room brings u position analysis and big-play breakdowns of win over UK - http://bit.ly/1Dr2OsM 

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

clutch

Quote from: Otto Von Pigsmark on October 21, 2014, 09:28:04 am
As a coach who is paid to break down film I just ignore the idiots who say they break it down. They just say this to make themselves sound smarter

Haha I agree with you here.

I have to break down film every week because it's my job. I enjoy it, but I don't really know if I'd invest the amount of time it takes to really break down a game if I wasn't getting paid to do it. It takes up almost my whole weekend.

jkstock04

I have never called into Bo Mattinglys show... But if I was going to, to be critical of coaching or technical errors of said football game, I absolutely would go back and review the plays over and over In Detail that way I knew for sure what I was talking about. I would have stats written down in front of me as well.

Make no mistake, Guarantee you Bo does the same thing. It's essentially a debate, and most times he is the winner because he has more info and factual information in front of him to discredit callers. IF I was gonna call in and challenge him, I would want to have just as much information in front of me as he does.

No only to not sound like an idiot...but you wanna make a point at least have some hard facts behind it or he will rip you apart lol. Like I said, I have never called in I only listen. Some of these guys who call in may have decent original arguments but they are extremely uneducated and Bo takes advantage of that and takes them to the woodshed. Sometimes it's downright embarrassing.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogsenburg

Quote from: clutch on October 22, 2014, 08:52:28 am
Haha I agree with you here.

I have to break down film every week because it's my job. I enjoy it, but I don't really know if I'd invest the amount of time it takes to really break down a game if I wasn't getting paid to do it. It takes up almost my whole weekend.

Yep if you do it right it does

secfan30

DCimport

Don't illegal trip or fumble the ball out of the end zone when you're barely hit.   Ok, I'm done breaking down film. Time to take 10.  I'm going to go practice some 19 yard field goals aka extra points.

Dr. Starcs

Haven't read the entire thread, and I don't go back and breakdown any games on film.

But, I do enjoy statting and charting games while I'm watching.

Does anyone have anything specific they use and wouldn't mind sharing?  I'm not the only one who does this am I?  Lol

Or maybe just something specific to look for or stat during a game, from a coach's opinion.

showme

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 22, 2014, 11:01:18 am
Haven't read the entire thread, and I don't go back and breakdown any games on film.

But, I do enjoy statting and charting games while I'm watching.

Well just an fyi, you were called everything from a dork to a loser for doing things like that in your spare time so good thing you didn't read the entire thread or you might be pissed off.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on October 21, 2014, 04:13:58 pm
if your not a coach and breaking film down like a coach, what is your other job? 

I work at a School and spend time with my family  I only spend about 2-3 hours on a game and make some notes ,  IMO some little things like Illegal Procedure can kill a drive.

Plus I look at the Box scores and date that ESPN puts out with in an hour after the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 23, 2014, 08:28:33 am
I work at a School and spend time with my family  I only spend about 2-3 hours on a game and make some notes ,  IMO some little things like Illegal Procedure can kill a drive.

Plus I look at the Box scores and date that ESPN puts out with in an hour after the game.

I was not talking about anything like, and I was clear.  I was talking about those who claim to be breaking down the games by re-watching their dvr copy. 

Although I don't need to take to notes to know a illegal procedure penalty can kill a drive, or that a 15 yard unsportsman like penalty for running your mouth can kill a defense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2014, 08:32:42 am
I was not talking about anything like, and I was clear.  I was talking about those who claim to be breaking down the games by re-watching their dvr copy. 

Although I don't need to take to notes to know a illegal procedure penalty can kill a drive, or that a 15 yard unsportsman like penalty for running your mouth can kill a defense.

Well I do use my DVR copy and what other film I can find online.  I make a 1/2 page of note some times just to add to our discussions here on Hogville.

The Last month I been out with my kid at Band contest so I not been doing it here lately.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 23, 2014, 08:35:00 am

The Last month I been out with my kid at Band contest so I not been doing it here lately.

Oh man, I am in the same boat with the band stuff. Seems like every time I turn around they are marching somewhere. Leave early, home late, and poof, the weekend is gone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE