Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia game box score breakdown

Started by Fayettechill14, October 21, 2014, 01:57:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/10/20/7002007/arkansas-vs-georgia-box-score-breakdown-everything-hurts

My stat review of the Georgia game. Part II, which will also tie into the UAB Preview, will be out Tuesday or Wednesday. Pretty interesting stuff.

Hoggish1

Good job.

I particularly like the I'm off the Chaney bandwagon segment.  One other thing to wonder about:  Why were there no hot routes for backs out of the backfield on all those corner blitzes?  When a guy comes from the edge, you send a guy out in the space he vacated (OC 101)...

Chaney needs to crank it up.  He's not been calling good games.  Perhaps the 2nd half is the start of good things to come.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 21, 2014, 01:57:46 am
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/10/20/7002007/arkansas-vs-georgia-box-score-breakdown-everything-hurts

My stat review of the Georgia game. Part II, which will also tie into the UAB Preview, will be out Tuesday or Wednesday. Pretty interesting stuff.

Great Analysis.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

online-with-swine

I was screaming at the TV for BA to hit a hot route whenever they would bring the corner blitz.  A quick hitter to the WR or RB/TE in the flats/screen would have been enough to keep the cb honest.  My fear is that we are so bad at pass protection that Chaney was scared to let the rb run a route instead of stay back in to protect.

Wildhog

I've been saying the exact same thing regarding Chaney and the middle of the field since last year.  Totally different offense in the second half.  He better stick with it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

"Georgia went after Rohan Gaines early on. Georgia has two good receivers: Malcolm Mitchell (mostly shadowed by Toliver) and Chris Conley (mostly covered by Collins). Mitchell had one catch. Conley had five for 128 yards and a touchdown."

Toliver by far is our best corner. We need to get more like him....and FAST!

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 08:47:04 am
"Georgia went after Rohan Gaines early on. Georgia has two good receivers: Malcolm Mitchell (mostly shadowed by Toliver) and Chris Conley (mostly covered by Collins). Mitchell had one catch. Conley had five for 128 yards and a touchdown."

Really excited about Henre. 

Did anyone notice if Cornelius Floyd got out there at all?
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 08:47:04 am

Really great write up but I do believe Tolliver was the one beat on the first and last scoring drives by UGA.  He's young and our best corner, hope he wasn't too bad hurt after going down, he didn't come back in.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 21, 2014, 08:49:14 am
Really excited about Henre. 

Did anyone notice if Cornelius Floyd got out there at all?

I might be wrong but I believe he still has the redshirt on.

hogsanity

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 21, 2014, 08:43:44 am
I was screaming at the TV for BA to hit a hot route whenever they would bring the corner blitz.  A quick hitter to the WR or RB/TE in the flats/screen would have been enough to keep the cb honest.  My fear is that we are so bad at pass protection that Chaney was scared to let the rb run a route instead of stay back in to protect.

The Wr's have not been able to get off the line quick all year, and I do think the comment about bad pass protection is spot in. Bama showed that when they decided to quit blitzing and just rush 4.  They still got plenty of heat on BA and were able to drop 7 in coverage.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

Safety play continues to be a big problem.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 08:53:26 am
The Wr's have not been able to get off the line quick all year, and I do think the comment about bad pass protection is spot in. Bama showed that when they decided to quit blitzing and just rush 4.  They still got plenty of heat on BA and were able to drop 7 in coverage.

I'm not an O-line expert, but does our large O-line help with running, but hurt us in pass protection?

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 08:53:26 am

If I was playing defense against us, I would play man on the outside, press the WRs, and only rush 4. 

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 21, 2014, 08:52:50 am
I might be wrong but I believe he still has the redshirt on.

He's played in several games this year.  Wish we could have kept his shirt.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Harleigh Hog

Awesome analysis! K. Jackson was even commenting towards the end of the game how much more effective Hatcher became once the tight ends began working the middle.  When he was in a one on one situation (due to the tight ends), Hatcher almost always was open. 

rljjr

I enjoy reading your recaps and analysis. I really enjoy watching this team and still think we're right there ready for the breakthrough. I think we notch two SEC wins this year (I had previously thought 4). We are so close, like that one player on each side of the ball kind of close.

Go Hogs

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 21, 2014, 08:57:44 am
He's played in several games this year.  Wish we could have kept his shirt.

I'm use to being wrong!  Ha

Fayettechill14

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 08:55:18 am
I'm not an O-line expert, but does our large O-line help with running, but hurt us in pass protection?

The guy that gets beat a bunch is Hunter Henry, actually. In max protect, which we run a bunch, Henry has to stay in to block if he sees a blitz to his side. Well, Georgia's DC is a really smart guy, and blitzed to Henry's side on almost every play he was lined up tight. So he had to protect. One of the sacks was his fault. Also, neither Skipper nor Cook is very quick. They are strong and physical, but not as quick. Georgia blitzed OLBs and CBs all game and they just outflanked the tackles. Great design by Georgia, but we have to find a counter to that or every team will play will do the same thing.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 21, 2014, 05:38:50 pm
The guy that gets beat a bunch is Hunter Henry, actually. In max protect, which we run a bunch, Henry has to stay in to block if he sees a blitz to his side. Well, Georgia's DC is a really smart guy, and blitzed to Henry's side on almost every play he was lined up tight. So he had to protect. One of the sacks was his fault. Also, neither Skipper nor Cook is very quick. They are strong and physical, but not as quick. Georgia blitzed OLBs and CBs all game and they just outflanked the tackles. Great design by Georgia, but we have to find a counter to that or every team will play will do the same thing.
Yes, I was really impressed by Georgia's defensive strategy and there's no question we're going to see something similar from our SEC foes. There is one positive to this - Hunter Henry and our O-Line will be getting plenty of practice against it which should be helpful for us next year.
One thing that really was disappointing was when Skipper got yanked for a series and we did so poorly at a critical juncture.

Georgia is obviously a very good team with excellent talent.

PorkSoda

you lost me when you said our running game was bad. 

our running game is the only thing working.  every pass in the first half was incomplete intercepeted or sacked.

in the second have Georgia had scored so many points all they had to do was play prevent.

BB needs to get chaney under control.  85 passes in the last two games is excusable.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 21, 2014, 05:38:50 pm
we counter that by running up the middle.  chaney is an idiot if he couldn't see that.  when you run the ball for 6-7 yards a pop, you don't stop.  unless your name is chaney
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 07:42:24 pm
"The problem is, of course, that the passing game has been somewhat necessary because the running game isn't generating enough offense."

BS, the run game isnt generating enough offense because we aren't running the ball.

we are a run first offense that doesn't run the ball.  I've defended chaney, but the georgia game was the worst I have seen. 

the difference between the first drive and the second drive can't be any clearer as to what our playcalling focus should be.  I don't understand why chaney insists on abandoning the run.

Chaney's problem is that he worries about the defense.
When Georgia promptly answered our opening drive that took nearly 7 minutes off the clock with a 5 play, 1.40 minute (or thereabouts) touchdown drive of their own SANS the missed extra point, Chaney decided that Georgia's offense was better than our defense (I guess he has gone from offensive genius to head coach genius...) and he abandoned the game plan.

This isn't arguable. It is clearly evident in what happened in the drive by drive comparison thread.

Chaney get's antsy and reverts to his bread and butter ("the greatest show on turf"). Problem is that this isn't what our team is built to do.

Some could argue that we put up pretty good numbers in the second half. But honestly guys, by then Georgia was in safe mode and the underneath crossing stuff was WIDE open as Georgia went bend-but-don't-break.

Amateurish.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 21, 2014, 07:51:18 pm
Chaney's problem is that he worries about the defense.
When Georgia promptly answered our opening drive that took nearly 7 minutes off the clock with a 5 play, 1.40 minute (or thereabouts) touchdown drive of their own SANS the missed extra point, Chaney decided that Georgia's offense was better than our defense (I guess he has gone from offensive genius to head coach genius...) and he abandoned the game plan.

This isn't arguable. It is clearly evident in what happened in the drive by drive comparison thread.

Chaney get's antsy and reverts to his bread and butter ("the greatest show on turf"). Problem is that this isn't what our team is built to do.

Some could argue that we put up pretty good numbers in the second half. But honestly guys, by then Georgia was in safe mode and the underneath crossing stuff was WIDE open as Georgia went bend-but-don't-break.

Amateurish.
no doubt, our only chance at beating those quick scoring teams is long sustained drives that keep them off the field.  we went TD for TD with TAMU that way, and actually took the lead before chaney decided we needed to pass, which in turn put out D back on the field with no rest, which in turn lead to a 4th qtr come back.

Chaney does not understand the philosophy behind running the ball, he does not believe running the ball can win games, and thus abandons the run at the first opportunity.  the result we see is 0-14 in the SEC. 

BB came here with the intent on smashmouth football and good defense, and chaney cannot for the life of him stick to the script.

Lake City Hog

Chill, it is refreshing to actually see someone use simple logic to change their own opinion! I have been asking for the crossing routes and "rub" routes since early last year. That loooong throw for a 2 yard out just eats my lunch!
It sometimes looks like Chaney just calls random plays form the playbook with no rhyme or reason.

I have to ask, if we all know that Segrest has issues coaching special teams why do we have him doing it? Kinda like if Henry is a poor blocker why is he on the PAT team? Is Dean being coached to let the ball hit the ground?

I do believe that Collins' attitude since the 1st quarter benching has played a bit of a role in our run game being less productive. Personally I love J Will and think that he should be our featured back. But, we need Collins to be productive when giving him a blow.

If we are ever going to turn the corner it will be by eliminating the DUMB penalties and the killer turnovers. Part of that has to come from better coaching decisions.

Bebop

QuoteI'm off the Chaney bandwagon

I've been one of Jim Chaney's most outspoken supporters to date. I've said that most complaints against playcalling should actually be complaints against execution. However, the second half has me off the bandwagon. Now, mind you, this doesn't mean I want him fired or anything, but it does mean I'm willing to be more critical of him. Why? Because the second half passing game plan looked beautiful. Why it took 18 and a half games to figure out that sending the tight ends and tall receivers deep down the seams to ward off the safeties and running the speedy slot men underneath on crossing routes is the way to go is indefensible. I get it: Georgia was playing less aggressive on defense, but Arkansas' playcalling looked different. It utilized the tight ends. It gave Keon Hatcher and Jared Cornelius opportunities to get downfield.

Essentially, are you saying it was a lack of creativity that was hurting our passing game?

Now you see why I had the criticisms of Chaney after the A&M game. I didn't think it was just simple lack of execution/talent/depth that hurt us. We needed more creativity in the fourth (not being predictable) to get us over the hump. Why didn't we utilize these kind of routes in the 4th quarter against A&M, I'll never know. While we were adjusting to a new system, I think some of these problems are a continuation from last year.

As far as Chaney abandoning the run when is working, yes he has done it before against other opponents besides Georgia. The sequence of passing plays before the half at A&M is one that comes to the top of my mind.

I don't think Chaney is the man for the job, however I want him to prove that he is the right guy and make me eat my words.

PorkSoda

1st Drive 12 rushes 1 pass 75 yards TD
2nd Drive 2 passes (2 sacks) 1 run for 11 yards and a punt.
3rd Drive 3 runs 3 passes (two incomplete) punt
4th Drive 2 runs (7 yards) 1 incomplete pass punt
5th drive 4 runs 29 yards 1 of 4 passes 8 yards and a sack fumble.
6th drive 1 run 6 yards, 4 of 7 passing and an interception.

End of first half of Georgia game.

what do we need more of?
Passing or Rushing?

redeye

Nice write-up Adam.

Chaney's play-calling is just puzzling.  Last year, I believe we did send TE's down the seam a lot.  We just stopped doing it for some reason and that's even been brought up around here some.

In addition to all the excellent suggestions here to counter Georgia's blitzing, I'd like to add running the ball straight up the middle.  Considering it's what we do best, why would we not do it when Georgia is blitzing safeties, corners and linebackers?  I also agree with sending the TE's down the middle and we're certainly not alone in that belief.

Your suggestion of only passing out of the shotgun was particularly interesting, and something I'll be sure to keep an  eye on, although I still think there's some value in throwing it under center.  As for our rushing offense, it's going to struggle at times, but that's when you have your OL regroup and push harder, rather then give up (or only run once every few downs.)  It's been interesting watching the defense of why we give up on running the ball, because no one runs successfully on every possession, so it's bewildering how we abandon the rushing game at the first sign of struggle: it also defies the goal of wearing out your opponent in the trench.  But most importantly, the power run game is Bielema's forte, so if his offense can't do that in SEC play, then the Bielema era is in big trouble.

arkfan81

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 21, 2014, 01:57:46 am

Just by any chance, did any of y'all read the link regarding to cbp? kinda funny...but if you can remember we didn't play that well vs vandy that day..

Have faith...

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 07:41:24 pm
you lost me when you said our running game was bad. 

our running game is the only thing working.  every pass in the first half was incomplete intercepeted or sacked.

in the second have Georgia had scored so many points all they had to do was play prevent.

BB needs to get chaney under control.  85 passes in the last two games is excusable.

I don't think I said that...